Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East | Sunday timetables all weekend

Go North East | Sunday timetables all weekend

Go North East | Sunday timetables all weekend

• 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average

Pages (15) Previous 18 9 1015 Next
Storx

23 Jan 2022, 11:51 pm #161
(23 Jan 2022, 10:16 pm)Ambassador That same poster is on the bus stops around Chester Le Street as well, I only noticed by how massively unprofessional it looked with the header image stretched and the tiny font.

I get this happening across all operators but if your going to be all Billy Big Balls about your marketing and your buses, when the shit hits the fan, you can’t hide and it’s exactly what GNE are doing. The lack of social media replies and general defensiveness of the brand when they bother manning it is harking back to Kevin Carr and Huntley days.

imo the social media is the least of the problems, GNE have outright lost control of everything lately. They can keep blaming 'national driving shortages' but it's very much a GNE problem up here now (apart from Darlington a few days last week). Arriva Northumbria and Stagecoach at least from what I'm aware have been running a full timetable for weeks now excluding the few routes on lower frequencies so there isn't the problems happening but people don't care about that as long as it's frequent enough (GNE are the same regardless).

There's problems well beyond Covid at GNE, whether that's the fact they were days from a strike, there's been a court action from a respected ex Driver, there's a (I believe) ex driver from Stanley (Stanleyone) who has openly slagged off the gaffers yesterday, who has also opened posted people are leaving Stanley because of the abuse they're getting but I'm sure there's more than that, who has also revealed that there's been meetings to try and resolve the moral issues that went no-where.

Obviously we'll never get the true story but those aren't things which are normal in a well ran company and for a bit of balance there appears to be similar problems down at the Arriva Darlington (only) depot which is all over the place and has been all pandemic aswell and hasn't been as much problems at GNE Percy Main, Hexham or Peterlee depots in comparison to others.
Storx
23 Jan 2022, 11:51 pm #161

(23 Jan 2022, 10:16 pm)Ambassador That same poster is on the bus stops around Chester Le Street as well, I only noticed by how massively unprofessional it looked with the header image stretched and the tiny font.

I get this happening across all operators but if your going to be all Billy Big Balls about your marketing and your buses, when the shit hits the fan, you can’t hide and it’s exactly what GNE are doing. The lack of social media replies and general defensiveness of the brand when they bother manning it is harking back to Kevin Carr and Huntley days.

imo the social media is the least of the problems, GNE have outright lost control of everything lately. They can keep blaming 'national driving shortages' but it's very much a GNE problem up here now (apart from Darlington a few days last week). Arriva Northumbria and Stagecoach at least from what I'm aware have been running a full timetable for weeks now excluding the few routes on lower frequencies so there isn't the problems happening but people don't care about that as long as it's frequent enough (GNE are the same regardless).

There's problems well beyond Covid at GNE, whether that's the fact they were days from a strike, there's been a court action from a respected ex Driver, there's a (I believe) ex driver from Stanley (Stanleyone) who has openly slagged off the gaffers yesterday, who has also opened posted people are leaving Stanley because of the abuse they're getting but I'm sure there's more than that, who has also revealed that there's been meetings to try and resolve the moral issues that went no-where.

Obviously we'll never get the true story but those aren't things which are normal in a well ran company and for a bit of balance there appears to be similar problems down at the Arriva Darlington (only) depot which is all over the place and has been all pandemic aswell and hasn't been as much problems at GNE Percy Main, Hexham or Peterlee depots in comparison to others.

Omega54

24 Jan 2022, 12:13 am #162
(23 Jan 2022, 11:51 pm)Storx imo the social media is the least of the problems, GNE have outright lost control of everything lately. They can keep blaming 'national driving shortages' but it's very much a GNE problem up here now (apart from Darlington a few days last week). Arriva Northumbria and Stagecoach at least from what I'm aware have been running a full timetable for weeks now excluding the few routes on lower frequencies so there isn't the problems happening but people don't care about that as long as it's frequent enough (GNE are the same regardless).

I think Hexham, Peterlee don't really have many COVID cases as they are a lot smaller. 

Compared to Deptford, all the drivers meet outisde of greggs, and in Consett with all the drivers meeting in a room near the bus station.
Omega54
24 Jan 2022, 12:13 am #162

(23 Jan 2022, 11:51 pm)Storx imo the social media is the least of the problems, GNE have outright lost control of everything lately. They can keep blaming 'national driving shortages' but it's very much a GNE problem up here now (apart from Darlington a few days last week). Arriva Northumbria and Stagecoach at least from what I'm aware have been running a full timetable for weeks now excluding the few routes on lower frequencies so there isn't the problems happening but people don't care about that as long as it's frequent enough (GNE are the same regardless).

I think Hexham, Peterlee don't really have many COVID cases as they are a lot smaller. 

Compared to Deptford, all the drivers meet outisde of greggs, and in Consett with all the drivers meeting in a room near the bus station.

Storx

24 Jan 2022, 1:43 am #163
(24 Jan 2022, 12:13 am)Omega54 I think Hexham, Peterlee don't really have many COVID cases as they are a lot smaller. 

I don't believe Covid is the main problem though. Unless there's a new variant that only affects GNE staff and happens to affect them for next to 3 month now non stop. 

Stagecoach and Arriva aren't having the same problems and nor are supermarkets to bring a different industry in. 

One thing I could imagine though is the smaller depots will have a more of a community feel where everyone gets along better between management and drivers so they just plod along and never leave. I believe it's already been said that's the case for Percy Main on here.
Storx
24 Jan 2022, 1:43 am #163

(24 Jan 2022, 12:13 am)Omega54 I think Hexham, Peterlee don't really have many COVID cases as they are a lot smaller. 

I don't believe Covid is the main problem though. Unless there's a new variant that only affects GNE staff and happens to affect them for next to 3 month now non stop. 

Stagecoach and Arriva aren't having the same problems and nor are supermarkets to bring a different industry in. 

One thing I could imagine though is the smaller depots will have a more of a community feel where everyone gets along better between management and drivers so they just plod along and never leave. I believe it's already been said that's the case for Percy Main on here.

Dan

Site Administrator

24 Jan 2022, 6:36 am #164
(24 Jan 2022, 1:43 am)Storx I don't believe Covid is the main problem though. Unless there's a new variant that only affects GNE staff and happens to affect them for next to 3 month now non stop. 

You’re absolutely wrong if you believe Arriva and Stagecoach aren’t having problems.

In the same way that Go North East have stronger and weaker depots for their staffing situation, Arriva and Stagecoach do too.

Whilst Arriva Northumbria are back up to full strength in terms of staffing, Arriva Durham County most certainly are not and are still losing mileage hand over fist. The latter are still hugely reliant on overtime working including non-driving staff.

Stagecoach Transit, Stockton especially, are still hiring in extra drivers (as opposed to subbing out the work) and still experiencing large gaps in service.

I am still aware of huge gaps in service on Nexus contracts operated by Gateshead Central Taxis. I was quite vocal about GCT’s staff shortages and vehicle availability issues some time ago when this pre-dated the more recent national issues across multiple sectors, and have cut them some slack more recently, but it’s worth pointing out in this context that other operators (including on work they are being paid by the local authority to run, and most likely aren’t being penalised because they aren’t running it) are still suffering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan
24 Jan 2022, 6:36 am #164

(24 Jan 2022, 1:43 am)Storx I don't believe Covid is the main problem though. Unless there's a new variant that only affects GNE staff and happens to affect them for next to 3 month now non stop. 

You’re absolutely wrong if you believe Arriva and Stagecoach aren’t having problems.

In the same way that Go North East have stronger and weaker depots for their staffing situation, Arriva and Stagecoach do too.

Whilst Arriva Northumbria are back up to full strength in terms of staffing, Arriva Durham County most certainly are not and are still losing mileage hand over fist. The latter are still hugely reliant on overtime working including non-driving staff.

Stagecoach Transit, Stockton especially, are still hiring in extra drivers (as opposed to subbing out the work) and still experiencing large gaps in service.

I am still aware of huge gaps in service on Nexus contracts operated by Gateshead Central Taxis. I was quite vocal about GCT’s staff shortages and vehicle availability issues some time ago when this pre-dated the more recent national issues across multiple sectors, and have cut them some slack more recently, but it’s worth pointing out in this context that other operators (including on work they are being paid by the local authority to run, and most likely aren’t being penalised because they aren’t running it) are still suffering.

Storx

24 Jan 2022, 8:32 am #165
(24 Jan 2022, 6:36 am)Dan You’re absolutely wrong if you believe Arriva and Stagecoach aren’t having problems.

Oh of course not, I'm totally aware of Darlington's problems. Durham hasn't been too bad in recent weeks I don't believe but it's still not great either. Let's be honest though neither were exactly a shining example of hour to run a bus company for years. The fleet standard at both of them is shocking. 

Don't believe there's many issues at Stockton or Redcar though?

Stagecoach Stockton (admit I don't follow it at all) seems to have big problems aswell tbf another depot on strike and I'm sure replacing new 69 plates with 55 plate MAN's is just the best way to boost driver moral when it's blatently rock bottom as it is. 

GCT well they deserve critisism.
Storx
24 Jan 2022, 8:32 am #165

(24 Jan 2022, 6:36 am)Dan You’re absolutely wrong if you believe Arriva and Stagecoach aren’t having problems.

Oh of course not, I'm totally aware of Darlington's problems. Durham hasn't been too bad in recent weeks I don't believe but it's still not great either. Let's be honest though neither were exactly a shining example of hour to run a bus company for years. The fleet standard at both of them is shocking. 

Stagecoach Stockton (admit I don't follow it at all) seems to have big problems aswell tbf another depot on strike and I'm sure replacing new 69 plates with 55 plate MAN's is just the best way to boost driver moral when it's blatently rock bottom as it is. 

Dan

Site Administrator

24 Jan 2022, 10:55 am #166
(24 Jan 2022, 8:32 am)Storx Oh of course not, I'm totally aware of Darlington's problems. Durham hasn't been too bad in recent weeks I don't believe but it's still not great either. Let's be honest though neither were exactly a shining example of hour to run a bus company for years. The fleet standard at both of them is shocking. 

I believe Redcar are still having staffing issues - like Go North East, a lot of what is dropped is during the day, with a priority made to cover early mornings and evenings/nights. Sadly that can't always be achieved and they have dropped a little bit of night time work recently.

The point being made is that each of the big three have their own staffing issues - which are worse at some locations than others - it is definitely not one single operator in the region having issues as was previously suggested. The perception is that Go North East are struggling the most, but this is only because they are being the most transparent about the issues. As Adrian mentioned elsewhere recently, even this isn't 100% and there's more that could be done, with Arriva seemingly doing better on their app to inform customers of cancellations (despite this being somewhat clunky in itself).
Dan
24 Jan 2022, 10:55 am #166

(24 Jan 2022, 8:32 am)Storx Oh of course not, I'm totally aware of Darlington's problems. Durham hasn't been too bad in recent weeks I don't believe but it's still not great either. Let's be honest though neither were exactly a shining example of hour to run a bus company for years. The fleet standard at both of them is shocking. 

I believe Redcar are still having staffing issues - like Go North East, a lot of what is dropped is during the day, with a priority made to cover early mornings and evenings/nights. Sadly that can't always be achieved and they have dropped a little bit of night time work recently.

The point being made is that each of the big three have their own staffing issues - which are worse at some locations than others - it is definitely not one single operator in the region having issues as was previously suggested. The perception is that Go North East are struggling the most, but this is only because they are being the most transparent about the issues. As Adrian mentioned elsewhere recently, even this isn't 100% and there's more that could be done, with Arriva seemingly doing better on their app to inform customers of cancellations (despite this being somewhat clunky in itself).

peter

24 Jan 2022, 11:01 am #167

Durham clearly must have made some headway otherwise they wouldn't be restoring the 56 to full service. Doesn't negate the fact that the 6 and 64 are still running every 20 minutes tho, not counting any short-term cancellations
peter
24 Jan 2022, 11:01 am #167

Durham clearly must have made some headway otherwise they wouldn't be restoring the 56 to full service. Doesn't negate the fact that the 6 and 64 are still running every 20 minutes tho, not counting any short-term cancellations

busmanT

24 Jan 2022, 5:52 pm #168
On the GNE website the service 4 appears to be going back to the normal Saturday timetable from 5th February
busmanT
24 Jan 2022, 5:52 pm #168

On the GNE website the service 4 appears to be going back to the normal Saturday timetable from 5th February

Omega54

29 Jan 2022, 1:50 pm #169
39/39A are again Solo's.
Omega54
29 Jan 2022, 1:50 pm #169

39/39A are again Solo's.

Adrian

29 Jan 2022, 1:53 pm #170
(29 Jan 2022, 1:50 pm)Omega54 39/39A are again Solo's.

There's not a football match (or anything else) on in Sunderland today. All of the buses tracking on bustimes are showing 25+ seats free at the minute.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
29 Jan 2022, 1:53 pm #170

There's not a football match (or anything else) on in Sunderland today. All of the buses tracking on bustimes are showing 25+ seats free at the minute.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

Omega54

29 Jan 2022, 1:58 pm #171
(29 Jan 2022, 1:53 pm)Adrian There's not a football match (or anything else) on in Sunderland today. All of the buses tracking on bustimes are showing 25+ seats free at the minute.
One has 15, which is quite busy for a solo - nevertheless there might not be a match but surely they should still get normal sized buses.
Omega54
29 Jan 2022, 1:58 pm #171

(29 Jan 2022, 1:53 pm)Adrian There's not a football match (or anything else) on in Sunderland today. All of the buses tracking on bustimes are showing 25+ seats free at the minute.
One has 15, which is quite busy for a solo - nevertheless there might not be a match but surely they should still get normal sized buses.

busmanT

29 Jan 2022, 4:11 pm #172

As it was mentioned last week as being wrong, I would have expected them to get the correct allocation this week.
busmanT
29 Jan 2022, 4:11 pm #172

As it was mentioned last week as being wrong, I would have expected them to get the correct allocation this week.

BusLoverMum

29 Jan 2022, 5:06 pm #173
(29 Jan 2022, 4:11 pm)busmanT As it was mentioned last week as being wrong, I would have expected them to get the correct allocation this week.
Perhaps it depends on the drivers available?
BusLoverMum
29 Jan 2022, 5:06 pm #173

(29 Jan 2022, 4:11 pm)busmanT As it was mentioned last week as being wrong, I would have expected them to get the correct allocation this week.
Perhaps it depends on the drivers available?

Omega54

29 Jan 2022, 5:15 pm #174
(29 Jan 2022, 5:06 pm)BusLoverMum Perhaps it depends on the drivers available?
How? They aren't adding extra buses on for capacity they are upgrading buses to higher capacity
Omega54
29 Jan 2022, 5:15 pm #174

(29 Jan 2022, 5:06 pm)BusLoverMum Perhaps it depends on the drivers available?
How? They aren't adding extra buses on for capacity they are upgrading buses to higher capacity

Bazza

31 Jan 2022, 5:56 pm #175
(29 Jan 2022, 1:58 pm)Omega54 One has 15, which is quite busy for a solo - nevertheless there might not be a match but surely they should still get normal sized buses.

Not even close to being full though!
Bazza
31 Jan 2022, 5:56 pm #175

(29 Jan 2022, 1:58 pm)Omega54 One has 15, which is quite busy for a solo - nevertheless there might not be a match but surely they should still get normal sized buses.

Not even close to being full though!

Omega54

31 Jan 2022, 5:59 pm #176
(31 Jan 2022, 5:56 pm)Bazza Not even close to being full though!
But the evening on was 8, which is quite packed tbh. ]

Without any advertisment for the service.
Omega54
31 Jan 2022, 5:59 pm #176

(31 Jan 2022, 5:56 pm)Bazza Not even close to being full though!
But the evening on was 8, which is quite packed tbh. ]

Bazza

31 Jan 2022, 6:59 pm #177
(31 Jan 2022, 5:59 pm)Omega54 But the evening on was 8, which is quite packed tbh. ]

Don’t really understand what you’re saying.   If the bus isn’t leaving people behind, surely they have the capacity right.  

Don’t think an airline would fly a route where the plane was regularly only half full or less
Bazza
31 Jan 2022, 6:59 pm #177

(31 Jan 2022, 5:59 pm)Omega54 But the evening on was 8, which is quite packed tbh. ]

Don’t really understand what you’re saying.   If the bus isn’t leaving people behind, surely they have the capacity right.  

Don’t think an airline would fly a route where the plane was regularly only half full or less

Omega54

31 Jan 2022, 8:10 pm #178
(31 Jan 2022, 6:59 pm)Bazza Don’t really understand what you’re saying.   If the bus isn’t leaving people behind, surely they have the capacity right.  

For me, I think if someone is in every pair of seats, daily (on maybe twice a day services) they should be upgraded, because I just feel like it is better for passenger comfort. That is why when I can get a lift in peak times as I don't really want people who I don't know sitting next to me and I have a feeling that will be for most.
Omega54
31 Jan 2022, 8:10 pm #178

(31 Jan 2022, 6:59 pm)Bazza Don’t really understand what you’re saying.   If the bus isn’t leaving people behind, surely they have the capacity right.  

For me, I think if someone is in every pair of seats, daily (on maybe twice a day services) they should be upgraded, because I just feel like it is better for passenger comfort. That is why when I can get a lift in peak times as I don't really want people who I don't know sitting next to me and I have a feeling that will be for most.

Storx

31 Jan 2022, 8:52 pm #179
(31 Jan 2022, 8:10 pm)Omega54 For me, I think if someone is in every pair of seats, daily (on maybe twice a day services) they should be upgraded, because I just feel like it is better for passenger comfort. That is why when I can get a lift in peak times as I don't really want people who I don't know sitting next to me and I have a feeling that will be for most.

The problem is there's always the bus going in the opposite direction. People seem to forget that for every bus going out there's one coming in which can potentially carry fresh air if it's heading into Newcastle/Sunderland.

See it quite often on here, the xx was busy tonight it has 20 people on but ignoring the fact the journey going in is dead and it picks no-one up en-route either. In reality there's only 10 people on averaging both it's journeys. Most last journeys are like that pretty much.

20 passengers each with a £2 fare is £40 over 2 hours potentially. There's no money there.
Storx
31 Jan 2022, 8:52 pm #179

(31 Jan 2022, 8:10 pm)Omega54 For me, I think if someone is in every pair of seats, daily (on maybe twice a day services) they should be upgraded, because I just feel like it is better for passenger comfort. That is why when I can get a lift in peak times as I don't really want people who I don't know sitting next to me and I have a feeling that will be for most.

The problem is there's always the bus going in the opposite direction. People seem to forget that for every bus going out there's one coming in which can potentially carry fresh air if it's heading into Newcastle/Sunderland.

See it quite often on here, the xx was busy tonight it has 20 people on but ignoring the fact the journey going in is dead and it picks no-one up en-route either. In reality there's only 10 people on averaging both it's journeys. Most last journeys are like that pretty much.

20 passengers each with a £2 fare is £40 over 2 hours potentially. There's no money there.

Bazza

31 Jan 2022, 9:08 pm #180

Its the lack of passengers that results in cuts.   I would imagine that it is a lot cheaper to run a smaller bus than a larger one.  
if running a smaller bus saves enough money to make the journey financially worth while surely that needs to be done.  

If you don’t want to sit next to someone you don’t know there are alternatives.  Unfortunately most of those are more expensive or require more effort than catching a bus.
Bazza
31 Jan 2022, 9:08 pm #180

Its the lack of passengers that results in cuts.   I would imagine that it is a lot cheaper to run a smaller bus than a larger one.  
if running a smaller bus saves enough money to make the journey financially worth while surely that needs to be done.  

If you don’t want to sit next to someone you don’t know there are alternatives.  Unfortunately most of those are more expensive or require more effort than catching a bus.

Pages (15) Previous 18 9 1015 Next

• 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average