Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East | January 2022 Service Changes

Go North East | January 2022 Service Changes

Go North East | January 2022 Service Changes

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (5) Previous 1 2 35 Next
MurdnunoC

15 Jan 2022, 6:32 pm #21
(15 Jan 2022, 6:29 pm)omnicity4659 People still need a bus service to the car dealerships at the Silverlink though.  Big Grin

Only when you're 17 (or at whatever age you manage to pass your test) and looking to get your first car.

After then, you just rock up in your old banger and hope for the best.
MurdnunoC
15 Jan 2022, 6:32 pm #21

(15 Jan 2022, 6:29 pm)omnicity4659 People still need a bus service to the car dealerships at the Silverlink though.  Big Grin

Only when you're 17 (or at whatever age you manage to pass your test) and looking to get your first car.

After then, you just rock up in your old banger and hope for the best.

Train8261

15 Jan 2022, 7:11 pm #22
(15 Jan 2022, 6:29 pm)peter GCT don't operate those services in North Tyneside commercially, they're all funded by Nexus. Nexus clearly care cause they just did a consultation on merging the 333 and 335, and re-routing the 359
If nexus actually cared they would have sorted something out with the entire network with gne and gct but won't
Train8261
15 Jan 2022, 7:11 pm #22

(15 Jan 2022, 6:29 pm)peter GCT don't operate those services in North Tyneside commercially, they're all funded by Nexus. Nexus clearly care cause they just did a consultation on merging the 333 and 335, and re-routing the 359
If nexus actually cared they would have sorted something out with the entire network with gne and gct but won't

Jimmi

15 Jan 2022, 7:11 pm #23
(15 Jan 2022, 1:42 pm)peter But surely there's less point in running the services at more or less exactly the same times as currently happens with the X84/685? Because for passengers living in the villages on the route they're essentially going from an hourly to a half hourly service. So I fail to understand why you can't see the point in that. With the BSIP and other measures in the future, changes are going to be about reducing competition and increasing provision. Not least you've got to consider that the 684 is funded for by Northumberland County Council - it's a waste of money funding a service at the exactly the same time as a commercial operation.
Between Heddon and Newcastle the 684 & 685 will run roughly 30 minutes apart in both directions which will certainly benefit the passengers on this end of the route at least (currently X84 departs Newcastle 15 minutes before the 685 and runs roughly 15 minutes behind the 685 heading into Newcastle, on top of leaving Hexham at roughly the same time as the 685 whereas when the changes happen the 684 will leave Hexham around 15 minutes after the 685). Whilst the fare thing still restricts the journeys fare paying passengers to one bus, it does at least work for the OAPs using the route (hopefully BSIP fixes that issue in future).

684 is more for those living along the route rather than direct Hexham to Newcastle passengers.
Jimmi
15 Jan 2022, 7:11 pm #23

(15 Jan 2022, 1:42 pm)peter But surely there's less point in running the services at more or less exactly the same times as currently happens with the X84/685? Because for passengers living in the villages on the route they're essentially going from an hourly to a half hourly service. So I fail to understand why you can't see the point in that. With the BSIP and other measures in the future, changes are going to be about reducing competition and increasing provision. Not least you've got to consider that the 684 is funded for by Northumberland County Council - it's a waste of money funding a service at the exactly the same time as a commercial operation.
Between Heddon and Newcastle the 684 & 685 will run roughly 30 minutes apart in both directions which will certainly benefit the passengers on this end of the route at least (currently X84 departs Newcastle 15 minutes before the 685 and runs roughly 15 minutes behind the 685 heading into Newcastle, on top of leaving Hexham at roughly the same time as the 685 whereas when the changes happen the 684 will leave Hexham around 15 minutes after the 685). Whilst the fare thing still restricts the journeys fare paying passengers to one bus, it does at least work for the OAPs using the route (hopefully BSIP fixes that issue in future).

684 is more for those living along the route rather than direct Hexham to Newcastle passengers.

Train8261

15 Jan 2022, 7:12 pm #24
I'm sure Gne can reroute there Cobalt & Coast services. Seems to happen a lot recently
Train8261
15 Jan 2022, 7:12 pm #24

I'm sure Gne can reroute there Cobalt & Coast services. Seems to happen a lot recently

Storx

15 Jan 2022, 7:45 pm #25
(15 Jan 2022, 5:46 pm)Train8261 People really need to forget the North Tyneside mini bus network. It's dead. Nobody cares about it anymore. Nexus won't touch it. Gne won't touch it. Gct will but don't understand why

They're all subsidised the local services in North Tyneside mostly.

Imo Nexus and local bus companies really need to sit down and plan something with them long term even franchising the lot on a longer basis and try and create some form of low budget network.

The 11, 11 (SNE), 12, 18, 19, 32/32A, 33, 41, 42/42A, 51/51A, 333, 335, 59, W1, W3 and the rest I've no doubt missed all should be part of it as they're not working currently and the yearly contracts going to whoever bids lowest doesn't help them neither. 

They'll never be profitable by any means but they could at least be useful and actually exist in the real world as half of them are impossible to find timetables online pretty much or have multiple operators with different ticket rules etc.
Storx
15 Jan 2022, 7:45 pm #25

(15 Jan 2022, 5:46 pm)Train8261 People really need to forget the North Tyneside mini bus network. It's dead. Nobody cares about it anymore. Nexus won't touch it. Gne won't touch it. Gct will but don't understand why

They're all subsidised the local services in North Tyneside mostly.

Imo Nexus and local bus companies really need to sit down and plan something with them long term even franchising the lot on a longer basis and try and create some form of low budget network.

The 11, 11 (SNE), 12, 18, 19, 32/32A, 33, 41, 42/42A, 51/51A, 333, 335, 59, W1, W3 and the rest I've no doubt missed all should be part of it as they're not working currently and the yearly contracts going to whoever bids lowest doesn't help them neither. 

They'll never be profitable by any means but they could at least be useful and actually exist in the real world as half of them are impossible to find timetables online pretty much or have multiple operators with different ticket rules etc.

peter

15 Jan 2022, 8:24 pm #26
(15 Jan 2022, 7:11 pm)Train8261 If nexus actually cared they would have sorted something out with the entire network with gne and gct but won't

(15 Jan 2022, 7:45 pm)Storx They're all subsidised the local services in North Tyneside mostly.

Completely agree that the network needs sorting out, will give Nexus some credit for not giving up completely and still put a lot of funding into services in the area. You would hope that with the network review happening later this year similar to the one down in Oxford that it will provide an opportunity to clean up services in the area. I agree some longer term contracts and awarding them on a basis other than lowest bidder would be preferable. Interestingly some of those nexus contracts were due to be re-awarded but this has been cancelled...hopefully a sign of some change to come.
peter
15 Jan 2022, 8:24 pm #26

(15 Jan 2022, 7:11 pm)Train8261 If nexus actually cared they would have sorted something out with the entire network with gne and gct but won't

(15 Jan 2022, 7:45 pm)Storx They're all subsidised the local services in North Tyneside mostly.

Completely agree that the network needs sorting out, will give Nexus some credit for not giving up completely and still put a lot of funding into services in the area. You would hope that with the network review happening later this year similar to the one down in Oxford that it will provide an opportunity to clean up services in the area. I agree some longer term contracts and awarding them on a basis other than lowest bidder would be preferable. Interestingly some of those nexus contracts were due to be re-awarded but this has been cancelled...hopefully a sign of some change to come.

15 Jan 2022, 11:42 pm #27
(15 Jan 2022, 7:11 pm)Jimmi Between Heddon and Newcastle the 684 & 685 will run roughly 30 minutes apart in both directions which will certainly benefit the passengers on this end of the route at least (currently X84 departs Newcastle 15 minutes before the 685 and runs roughly 15 minutes behind the 685 heading into Newcastle, on top of leaving Hexham at roughly the same time as the 685 whereas when the changes happen the 684 will leave Hexham around 15 minutes after the 685). Whilst the fare thing still restricts the journeys fare paying passengers to one bus, it does at least work for the OAPs using the route (hopefully BSIP fixes that issue in future).

Yes, at least Hexham to Newcastle also has the 10, and in theory passengers might get a multi operator ticket. As someone who lives along the route its disappointing to be restricted by tickets/fares to an hourly and day time only service which has also been downgraded from X-lines. Definitely mutual ticket acceptance or cheaper single fares should have been put in place first. I'll now probably end up wasting time in town on some occasions waiting for the 684. Currently I'm unlikely to be doing any voluntary or paid work due to Covid.
OrangeArrow49
15 Jan 2022, 11:42 pm #27

(15 Jan 2022, 7:11 pm)Jimmi Between Heddon and Newcastle the 684 & 685 will run roughly 30 minutes apart in both directions which will certainly benefit the passengers on this end of the route at least (currently X84 departs Newcastle 15 minutes before the 685 and runs roughly 15 minutes behind the 685 heading into Newcastle, on top of leaving Hexham at roughly the same time as the 685 whereas when the changes happen the 684 will leave Hexham around 15 minutes after the 685). Whilst the fare thing still restricts the journeys fare paying passengers to one bus, it does at least work for the OAPs using the route (hopefully BSIP fixes that issue in future).

Yes, at least Hexham to Newcastle also has the 10, and in theory passengers might get a multi operator ticket. As someone who lives along the route its disappointing to be restricted by tickets/fares to an hourly and day time only service which has also been downgraded from X-lines. Definitely mutual ticket acceptance or cheaper single fares should have been put in place first. I'll now probably end up wasting time in town on some occasions waiting for the 684. Currently I'm unlikely to be doing any voluntary or paid work due to Covid.

16 Jan 2022, 4:28 am #28
(15 Jan 2022, 4:50 pm)peter I don't disagree that integrated tickets would be the best option, just in your original post you said you 'couldn't see the point' in coordinating them. It's a step in the right direction at least, albeit certainly not as far as they could go with it. 

You would hope that the bus service improvement plan might look at shimmying round a few services between operators. Personally though, I think it would make more sense for Stagecoach to operate the 685 in full rather than it being a joint operation.

I don't see much point in coordinating the 684/685 times and not the required tickets for travel on them (I now say much point, as of course it benefits passengers who are not restricted by tickets/passes). Just saying I would have combined the services fully, times and tickets, as likewise with the 306/308/309/310/311 and 42/42A/52/53/54/62/63/X63 on common sections, maybe also 1/22. Not sure how tickets could work exactly for all customers though (for example a ticket for all Killingworth services, to get any bus locally, but then you've got Cramlington/Kingston Park/Whitley Bay and Newcastle East/Centre/West in one direction, Wallsend and North Shields in the other).
OrangeArrow49
16 Jan 2022, 4:28 am #28

(15 Jan 2022, 4:50 pm)peter I don't disagree that integrated tickets would be the best option, just in your original post you said you 'couldn't see the point' in coordinating them. It's a step in the right direction at least, albeit certainly not as far as they could go with it. 

You would hope that the bus service improvement plan might look at shimmying round a few services between operators. Personally though, I think it would make more sense for Stagecoach to operate the 685 in full rather than it being a joint operation.

I don't see much point in coordinating the 684/685 times and not the required tickets for travel on them (I now say much point, as of course it benefits passengers who are not restricted by tickets/passes). Just saying I would have combined the services fully, times and tickets, as likewise with the 306/308/309/310/311 and 42/42A/52/53/54/62/63/X63 on common sections, maybe also 1/22. Not sure how tickets could work exactly for all customers though (for example a ticket for all Killingworth services, to get any bus locally, but then you've got Cramlington/Kingston Park/Whitley Bay and Newcastle East/Centre/West in one direction, Wallsend and North Shields in the other).

RMF1254

16 Jan 2022, 10:34 am #29

Are the Little Coasters subsidised during the day? The 51/51A isn’t subsidised all day either although I believe there was money put into the 51A from the builders of the new estates in East Benton or Holystone.
RMF1254
16 Jan 2022, 10:34 am #29

Are the Little Coasters subsidised during the day? The 51/51A isn’t subsidised all day either although I believe there was money put into the 51A from the builders of the new estates in East Benton or Holystone.

Bazza

16 Jan 2022, 11:29 am #30
All this talk of mutual ticket acceptance in specific areas  is getting confusing. If it is to happen it needs to be region wide, and there needs to be a simplification of the ticketing offering.

In other words the Explorer ticket needs more options than just a region wide day ticket and the pricing needs reviewing.
Bazza
16 Jan 2022, 11:29 am #30

All this talk of mutual ticket acceptance in specific areas  is getting confusing. If it is to happen it needs to be region wide, and there needs to be a simplification of the ticketing offering.

In other words the Explorer ticket needs more options than just a region wide day ticket and the pricing needs reviewing.

Storx

16 Jan 2022, 11:30 am #31
(16 Jan 2022, 10:34 am)RMF1254 Are the Little Coasters subsidised during the day? The 51/51A isn’t subsidised all day either although I believe there was money put into the 51A from the builders of the new estates in East Benton or Holystone.

They're not but they'd just fit in with them all and all really struggle (carry around fresh air most the time). The Northern sections of both the 19 and 42A are both subsidised though. 

Personally though I have a big problem with bus routes that are commercial during the day then paid by tax payers during the evening and Sundays. It's just not right a commercial company that profit it during some hours then when it doesn't suit then we have to pay for it. The profits (if there is any) from the likes of the 11 during the day would go help offset some of the costs in the evening or at least spend elsewhere within Nexus. 

It would also create a nice little network which might go somewhere with hubs at North Shields, Wallsend and Whitley Bay as they all serve the places. The farce of having one operator during the day and one during the evening is useless aswell but GNE or whoever shouldn't automatically win the contract because they run during the day either.
Storx
16 Jan 2022, 11:30 am #31

(16 Jan 2022, 10:34 am)RMF1254 Are the Little Coasters subsidised during the day? The 51/51A isn’t subsidised all day either although I believe there was money put into the 51A from the builders of the new estates in East Benton or Holystone.

They're not but they'd just fit in with them all and all really struggle (carry around fresh air most the time). The Northern sections of both the 19 and 42A are both subsidised though. 

Personally though I have a big problem with bus routes that are commercial during the day then paid by tax payers during the evening and Sundays. It's just not right a commercial company that profit it during some hours then when it doesn't suit then we have to pay for it. The profits (if there is any) from the likes of the 11 during the day would go help offset some of the costs in the evening or at least spend elsewhere within Nexus. 

It would also create a nice little network which might go somewhere with hubs at North Shields, Wallsend and Whitley Bay as they all serve the places. The farce of having one operator during the day and one during the evening is useless aswell but GNE or whoever shouldn't automatically win the contract because they run during the day either.

Bazza

16 Jan 2022, 11:35 am #32
(16 Jan 2022, 11:30 am)Storx They're not but they'd just fit in with them all and all really struggle (carry around fresh air most the time). The Northern sections of both the 19 and 42A are both subsidised though. 

It may be that the profits created during the day are not enough to cover the losses during the evening, in which case the operator would withdraw completely.
Bazza
16 Jan 2022, 11:35 am #32

(16 Jan 2022, 11:30 am)Storx They're not but they'd just fit in with them all and all really struggle (carry around fresh air most the time). The Northern sections of both the 19 and 42A are both subsidised though. 

It may be that the profits created during the day are not enough to cover the losses during the evening, in which case the operator would withdraw completely.

Storx

16 Jan 2022, 11:57 am #33
(16 Jan 2022, 11:35 am)Bazza It may be that the profits created during the day are not enough to cover the losses during the evening, in which case the operator would withdraw completely.

In theory though that would be a better though.

Let's the the route makes a profit of £150k during the day and costs £175k in the evening and Sundays. Right now some shareholders are getting £150k and the tax payer is paying £175k. If Nexus tendered the whole route out 24/7 (if it was ran properly) then it would only cost the tax payer £25k instead.

Right now is the worst of the worst imo.
Storx
16 Jan 2022, 11:57 am #33

(16 Jan 2022, 11:35 am)Bazza It may be that the profits created during the day are not enough to cover the losses during the evening, in which case the operator would withdraw completely.

In theory though that would be a better though.

Let's the the route makes a profit of £150k during the day and costs £175k in the evening and Sundays. Right now some shareholders are getting £150k and the tax payer is paying £175k. If Nexus tendered the whole route out 24/7 (if it was ran properly) then it would only cost the tax payer £25k instead.

Right now is the worst of the worst imo.

Andreos1

16 Jan 2022, 12:18 pm #34
In which case, they need to do something about the daytime route and ensure it is more than sustainable, rather than maintaining the status quo.

The operators sole aim is to make money. Its not about passengers.
If they're struggling to make money from their existing network, then something is going wrong somewhere.
Andreos1
16 Jan 2022, 12:18 pm #34

In which case, they need to do something about the daytime route and ensure it is more than sustainable, rather than maintaining the status quo.

If they're struggling to make money from their existing network, then something is going wrong somewhere.

Bazza

16 Jan 2022, 12:46 pm #35
(16 Jan 2022, 12:18 pm)Andreos1 In which case, they need to do something about the daytime route and ensure it is more than sustainable, rather than maintaining the status quo.

There is lots of discussion on here on what is going wrong.   

Personally,   I believe it needs a root and branch change, rather than fiddling about at the edges.  

Large companies removing profits from public services to pay shareholders is one of the major hurdles to any improvement.
Bazza
16 Jan 2022, 12:46 pm #35

(16 Jan 2022, 12:18 pm)Andreos1 In which case, they need to do something about the daytime route and ensure it is more than sustainable, rather than maintaining the status quo.

There is lots of discussion on here on what is going wrong.   

Personally,   I believe it needs a root and branch change, rather than fiddling about at the edges.  

Large companies removing profits from public services to pay shareholders is one of the major hurdles to any improvement.

Andreos1

16 Jan 2022, 12:53 pm #36
(16 Jan 2022, 12:46 pm)Bazza There is lots of discussion on here on what is going wrong.   

I agree. The whole thing needs shaking up. It is far from fit for purpose. 

I've deliberately stayed well away from the 'nationalise the network' conversations for a while now (despite me firmly believing it should be nationalised or re-regulated), as no matter who is making the decisions, I don't believe it will ever work whilst the network is set up as it is.
Buses are travelling to and from the same places they have done for decades, despite people changing their work habits and housing being built in places there were never houses before.
Meanwhile, operators bleat on about falling passenger levels, the need for government support, conversations about forcing people to make the switch and telling the world they need more priority measures.

It doesn't take a genius to work out what things they can do to get people out of their cars.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
16 Jan 2022, 12:53 pm #36

(16 Jan 2022, 12:46 pm)Bazza There is lots of discussion on here on what is going wrong.   

I agree. The whole thing needs shaking up. It is far from fit for purpose. 

I've deliberately stayed well away from the 'nationalise the network' conversations for a while now (despite me firmly believing it should be nationalised or re-regulated), as no matter who is making the decisions, I don't believe it will ever work whilst the network is set up as it is.
Buses are travelling to and from the same places they have done for decades, despite people changing their work habits and housing being built in places there were never houses before.
Meanwhile, operators bleat on about falling passenger levels, the need for government support, conversations about forcing people to make the switch and telling the world they need more priority measures.

It doesn't take a genius to work out what things they can do to get people out of their cars.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

Omega54

16 Jan 2022, 1:02 pm #37
I wonder if GNE are successful in the EV bid whether they might get 2 ADL BYD E200MMC for the 684 with maybe 1 or 2 tables. 

Tbh upgrading the QuayCity Q3's it would have been nice if they have maybe 1 or 2 tables on.
Omega54
16 Jan 2022, 1:02 pm #37

I wonder if GNE are successful in the EV bid whether they might get 2 ADL BYD E200MMC for the 684 with maybe 1 or 2 tables. 

Tbh upgrading the QuayCity Q3's it would have been nice if they have maybe 1 or 2 tables on.

RMF1254

16 Jan 2022, 2:50 pm #38

I use the 51 quite often to travel to Newcastle, I have never got on to an empty bus yet.
RMF1254
16 Jan 2022, 2:50 pm #38

I use the 51 quite often to travel to Newcastle, I have never got on to an empty bus yet.

Adrian

16 Jan 2022, 7:26 pm #39
(16 Jan 2022, 1:02 pm)Omega54 I wonder if GNE are successful in the EV bid whether they might get 2 ADL BYD E200MMC for the 684 with maybe 1 or 2 tables. 

684 isn't covered in the ZEBRA bid for Hexham (which I believe will be Yutongs anyway), and at roughly £379,801 per bus, I can't any operator commercially funding them anytime soon.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
16 Jan 2022, 7:26 pm #39

(16 Jan 2022, 1:02 pm)Omega54 I wonder if GNE are successful in the EV bid whether they might get 2 ADL BYD E200MMC for the 684 with maybe 1 or 2 tables. 

684 isn't covered in the ZEBRA bid for Hexham (which I believe will be Yutongs anyway), and at roughly £379,801 per bus, I can't any operator commercially funding them anytime soon.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

16 Jan 2022, 9:06 pm #40
(16 Jan 2022, 7:26 pm)Adrian 684 isn't covered in the ZEBRA bid for Hexham (which I believe will be Yutongs anyway), and at roughly £379,801 per bus, I can't see any operator commercially funding them anytime soon.

So the 684 will keep Versas for the long term? What Hexham services are covered in the ZEBRA bid? Are the Yutongs going to be good buses?
OrangeArrow49
16 Jan 2022, 9:06 pm #40

(16 Jan 2022, 7:26 pm)Adrian 684 isn't covered in the ZEBRA bid for Hexham (which I believe will be Yutongs anyway), and at roughly £379,801 per bus, I can't see any operator commercially funding them anytime soon.

So the 684 will keep Versas for the long term? What Hexham services are covered in the ZEBRA bid? Are the Yutongs going to be good buses?

Pages (5) Previous 1 2 35 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average