Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Arriva North East Arriva North East - Order Predictions / Suggestions

Arriva North East - Order Predictions / Suggestions

Arriva North East - Order Predictions / Suggestions

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (3) Previous 1 2 3
9920up

20 Feb 2022, 9:16 pm #41
It could be , based on the suggested numbers alone, the E200s could go directly to see off the more elderly vehicles in the fleet, namely the squadron of Omnicities, that will be, by Summer, well into their 18th year.
9920up
20 Feb 2022, 9:16 pm #41

It could be , based on the suggested numbers alone, the E200s could go directly to see off the more elderly vehicles in the fleet, namely the squadron of Omnicities, that will be, by Summer, well into their 18th year.

Storx

20 Feb 2022, 9:25 pm #42
(20 Feb 2022, 9:16 pm)9920up It could be , based on the suggested numbers alone, the E200s could go directly to see off the more elderly vehicles in the fleet, namely the squadron of Omnicities, that will be, by Summer, well into their 18th year.

Omnicity's are all gone already. Must admit I only learnt that this morning. Never mentioned on here and went very quietly.

They'll be minibuses I guess though if they're replacing the Solo's, same as the GCT ones.
Storx
20 Feb 2022, 9:25 pm #42

(20 Feb 2022, 9:16 pm)9920up It could be , based on the suggested numbers alone, the E200s could go directly to see off the more elderly vehicles in the fleet, namely the squadron of Omnicities, that will be, by Summer, well into their 18th year.

Omnicity's are all gone already. Must admit I only learnt that this morning. Never mentioned on here and went very quietly.

They'll be minibuses I guess though if they're replacing the Solo's, same as the GCT ones.

L469 YVK

20 Feb 2022, 11:22 pm #43
(20 Feb 2022, 3:52 pm)mb134 Not that they won't opt for ZF now that they can have stop start with a ZF setup, but the current MMCs with Voith 'boxes are fantastic performers on anything they're thrown at. Reasonably good acceleration on stop-start work, but equally more than happy sitting at 60 on dual carriageways.
Funnily enough, Voiths would be ideal for the exact routes (bar the X10) that GNE use their E400MMCs on for the likes of Lobley Hill Bank, Dunston Bank, parts of Derwentside etc. Likewise, Stagecoach use them as they're off the mark around the doors. Flat out though, ZF is a better performer.

Arriva with their Dennis Tridents/E400/E400MMC went:

- Dennis Trident ALX400 - Voith
- Enviro 400 Classic - ZF
- Enviro 400 MMC - Voith

The only reason Arriva went with Voith on the MMC was because stop/start wasn't available with the ZF Ecolife back in 2017. But has been an option since 2019 (as seen with GoNE/EY & Transdev).
L469 YVK
20 Feb 2022, 11:22 pm #43

(20 Feb 2022, 3:52 pm)mb134 Not that they won't opt for ZF now that they can have stop start with a ZF setup, but the current MMCs with Voith 'boxes are fantastic performers on anything they're thrown at. Reasonably good acceleration on stop-start work, but equally more than happy sitting at 60 on dual carriageways.
Funnily enough, Voiths would be ideal for the exact routes (bar the X10) that GNE use their E400MMCs on for the likes of Lobley Hill Bank, Dunston Bank, parts of Derwentside etc. Likewise, Stagecoach use them as they're off the mark around the doors. Flat out though, ZF is a better performer.

- Enviro 400 MMC - Voith

The only reason Arriva went with Voith on the MMC was because stop/start wasn't available with the ZF Ecolife back in 2017. But has been an option since 2019 (as seen with GoNE/EY & Transdev).

mb134

21 Feb 2022, 12:47 am #44
(20 Feb 2022, 11:22 pm)L469 YVK Funnily enough, Voiths would be ideal for the exact routes (bar the X10) that GNE use their E400MMCs on for the likes of Lobley Hill Bank, Dunston Bank, parts of Derwentside etc. Likewise, Stagecoach use them as they're off the mark around the doors. Flat out though, ZF is a better performer.

- Enviro 400 MMC - Voith

Do you have much experience driving the Voith equipped MMCs that Arriva have? Drivers I've talked to at Ashington much prefer the MMCs with their Voith boxes on express work to pretty much anything else. Ultimately, they hold 60 on long dual carriageway stretches (i.e A1 Gosforth to Clifton, or A189 Moor Farm to North Seaton) more than comfortably, and it never sounds as if the engine is too strained.

Mechanically those MMCs are rock solid too, so unless there's a substantial cost difference or something along those lines, I don't see why they'd switch away from a reliable setup.
mb134
21 Feb 2022, 12:47 am #44

(20 Feb 2022, 11:22 pm)L469 YVK Funnily enough, Voiths would be ideal for the exact routes (bar the X10) that GNE use their E400MMCs on for the likes of Lobley Hill Bank, Dunston Bank, parts of Derwentside etc. Likewise, Stagecoach use them as they're off the mark around the doors. Flat out though, ZF is a better performer.

- Enviro 400 MMC - Voith

Do you have much experience driving the Voith equipped MMCs that Arriva have? Drivers I've talked to at Ashington much prefer the MMCs with their Voith boxes on express work to pretty much anything else. Ultimately, they hold 60 on long dual carriageway stretches (i.e A1 Gosforth to Clifton, or A189 Moor Farm to North Seaton) more than comfortably, and it never sounds as if the engine is too strained.

Mechanically those MMCs are rock solid too, so unless there's a substantial cost difference or something along those lines, I don't see why they'd switch away from a reliable setup.

L469 YVK

21 Feb 2022, 8:38 am #45
(21 Feb 2022, 12:47 am)mb134 Do you have much experience driving the Voith equipped MMCs that Arriva have? Drivers I've talked to at Ashington much prefer the MMCs with their Voith boxes on express work to pretty much anything else. Ultimately, they hold 60 on long dual carriageway stretches (i.e A1 Gosforth to Clifton, or A189 Moor Farm to North Seaton) more than comfortably, and it never sounds as if the engine is too strained.

But why did Arriva originally move away from Voith to ZF instead of going for Voith in the classic E400s? Obviously enhanced BSOG made the decision quite easy for the case of going down the Voith S/S route for the E400MMC.

Obviously I'm not saying Voith gearboxes are bad as they've been used in various 'tanks' including DAF/VDL DB250s and of course the OM936 StreetDeck. But the Cummins 6.7l engine coupled with the ZF Ecolife is a better combination flat out.

GNE tried the E400MMC City with a Voith gearbox and S/S on the X9/X10 back in 2016 and then ended up opting for B5TLs in 2016 due to the fact they trusted and knew Volvo products. But I'm sure if the E400MMC with ZF and S/S was available at the time with the incentive over the B5TL (enhanced BSOG) to take a risk with a different product, perhaps they would've done.
L469 YVK
21 Feb 2022, 8:38 am #45

(21 Feb 2022, 12:47 am)mb134 Do you have much experience driving the Voith equipped MMCs that Arriva have? Drivers I've talked to at Ashington much prefer the MMCs with their Voith boxes on express work to pretty much anything else. Ultimately, they hold 60 on long dual carriageway stretches (i.e A1 Gosforth to Clifton, or A189 Moor Farm to North Seaton) more than comfortably, and it never sounds as if the engine is too strained.

But why did Arriva originally move away from Voith to ZF instead of going for Voith in the classic E400s? Obviously enhanced BSOG made the decision quite easy for the case of going down the Voith S/S route for the E400MMC.

Obviously I'm not saying Voith gearboxes are bad as they've been used in various 'tanks' including DAF/VDL DB250s and of course the OM936 StreetDeck. But the Cummins 6.7l engine coupled with the ZF Ecolife is a better combination flat out.

GNE tried the E400MMC City with a Voith gearbox and S/S on the X9/X10 back in 2016 and then ended up opting for B5TLs in 2016 due to the fact they trusted and knew Volvo products. But I'm sure if the E400MMC with ZF and S/S was available at the time with the incentive over the B5TL (enhanced BSOG) to take a risk with a different product, perhaps they would've done.

Pages (3) Previous 1 2 3

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average