Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Scholars buses

Scholars buses

Scholars buses

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (2) 1 2 Next
20 Jan 2022, 12:53 am #1
Are GNE tickets valid on GNE scholars buses? On all others I can pay 90p to board the service?

Today I almost got on a GNE scholars bus as I had a GNE ticket and the bus was there but then missed it and didn't get to ask the driver about getting on. Looks strange getting on a scholars bus service but school kids get on public buses so its not really that different.
OrangeArrow49
20 Jan 2022, 12:53 am #1

Are GNE tickets valid on GNE scholars buses? On all others I can pay 90p to board the service?

Today I almost got on a GNE scholars bus as I had a GNE ticket and the bus was there but then missed it and didn't get to ask the driver about getting on. Looks strange getting on a scholars bus service but school kids get on public buses so its not really that different.

Train8261

20 Jan 2022, 3:56 am #2
I don't think I'd have the right mind to board a full school bus. I'm sure it's still allowed (mainly due to the destination board saying All Passengers Welcome https://flic.kr/p/2mWV44V

But if its allowed I definitely don't have the right mind to
Train8261
20 Jan 2022, 3:56 am #2

I don't think I'd have the right mind to board a full school bus. I'm sure it's still allowed (mainly due to the destination board saying All Passengers Welcome https://flic.kr/p/2mWV44V

But if its allowed I definitely don't have the right mind to

morritt89

20 Jan 2022, 9:58 am #3
Nexus scholars services (before Covid) were able to be used by anyone and adult tickets were sold. I (when Deptford had the 454) had adults get on thr bus for a few stops or get on, realise there was 80 screaming kids and get off quite quickly. Despite being open to all, these services were never advertised on bus stop timetables. I'm not are what the rules are now about non school passengers using these services and if other ticket options are available.
morritt89
20 Jan 2022, 9:58 am #3

Nexus scholars services (before Covid) were able to be used by anyone and adult tickets were sold. I (when Deptford had the 454) had adults get on thr bus for a few stops or get on, realise there was 80 screaming kids and get off quite quickly. Despite being open to all, these services were never advertised on bus stop timetables. I'm not are what the rules are now about non school passengers using these services and if other ticket options are available.

Dan

Site Administrator

20 Jan 2022, 12:06 pm #4
(20 Jan 2022, 9:58 am)morritt89 Nexus scholars services (before Covid) were able to be used by anyone and adult tickets were sold. I (when Deptford had the 454) had adults get on thr bus for a few stops or get on, realise there was 80 screaming kids and get off quite quickly. Despite being open to all, these services were never advertised on bus stop timetables. I'm not are what the rules are now about non school passengers using these services and if other ticket options are available.

Last year the services became closed door school bus contracts, which is why Nexus requested that operators showed "School Bus" in large letters on the display instead of "Scholars/All Passengers Welcome".

They're back to being open door now.
Dan
20 Jan 2022, 12:06 pm #4

(20 Jan 2022, 9:58 am)morritt89 Nexus scholars services (before Covid) were able to be used by anyone and adult tickets were sold. I (when Deptford had the 454) had adults get on thr bus for a few stops or get on, realise there was 80 screaming kids and get off quite quickly. Despite being open to all, these services were never advertised on bus stop timetables. I'm not are what the rules are now about non school passengers using these services and if other ticket options are available.

Last year the services became closed door school bus contracts, which is why Nexus requested that operators showed "School Bus" in large letters on the display instead of "Scholars/All Passengers Welcome".

They're back to being open door now.

20 Jan 2022, 3:29 pm #5
It wasn't planned to use a scholars bus, it was just there and I had a ticket for all GNE services. As I didn't get to ask the driver I thought I'd check on here for the future. School kids use public buses, and if their bus is going our way there is no reason not to use it. Just wondered if my ticket would be valid. On all other scholars buses it would cost to get the adult single.
OrangeArrow49
20 Jan 2022, 3:29 pm #5

It wasn't planned to use a scholars bus, it was just there and I had a ticket for all GNE services. As I didn't get to ask the driver I thought I'd check on here for the future. School kids use public buses, and if their bus is going our way there is no reason not to use it. Just wondered if my ticket would be valid. On all other scholars buses it would cost to get the adult single.

idiot

20 Jan 2022, 5:49 pm #6
I've used schoolars before - but it saved me just under an hour by using normal buses
idiot
20 Jan 2022, 5:49 pm #6

I've used schoolars before - but it saved me just under an hour by using normal buses

20 Jan 2022, 7:23 pm #7
(20 Jan 2022, 5:49 pm)idiot I've used schoolars before - but it saved me just under an hour by using normal buses

Why have you used scholars? How did using normal buses save time?
OrangeArrow49
20 Jan 2022, 7:23 pm #7

(20 Jan 2022, 5:49 pm)idiot I've used schoolars before - but it saved me just under an hour by using normal buses

Why have you used scholars? How did using normal buses save time?

Adrian

20 Jan 2022, 8:12 pm #8
Having seen some of the things that used to happen on scholars buses when I was at school, you could not pay me to use one instead of a normal service bus!

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
20 Jan 2022, 8:12 pm #8

Having seen some of the things that used to happen on scholars buses when I was at school, you could not pay me to use one instead of a normal service bus!

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

20 Jan 2022, 8:43 pm #9
(20 Jan 2022, 8:12 pm)Adrian Having seen some of the things that used to happen on scholars buses when I was at school, you could not pay me to use one instead of a normal service bus!

Just for the avoidance of any misunderstandings, I would have been using the scholars bus service instead of walking, not instead of a normal public service bus in the case of yesterday (and in the future). I was just checking on here as I missed the bus so didn't get to ask the driver. More operators run scholars buses than normal public buses. 

What did used to go on?
OrangeArrow49
20 Jan 2022, 8:43 pm #9

(20 Jan 2022, 8:12 pm)Adrian Having seen some of the things that used to happen on scholars buses when I was at school, you could not pay me to use one instead of a normal service bus!

Just for the avoidance of any misunderstandings, I would have been using the scholars bus service instead of walking, not instead of a normal public service bus in the case of yesterday (and in the future). I was just checking on here as I missed the bus so didn't get to ask the driver. More operators run scholars buses than normal public buses. 

What did used to go on?

cbma06

20 Jan 2022, 8:53 pm #10
(20 Jan 2022, 8:43 pm)OrangeArrow49 Just for the avoidance of any misunderstandings, I would have been using the scholars bus service instead of walking, not instead of a normal public service bus in the case of yesterday (and in the future). I was just checking on here as I missed the bus so didn't get to ask the driver. More operators run scholars buses than normal public buses. 

What did used to go on?

I remember when I was at school in the 80’s and the scholar bus service was hectic , windows upstairs used to be open and kids throwing stuff out of them and there used to open the rear emergency window upstairs and dangle out, I felt sorry for the OK travel driver, after awhile there started to put one or two teachers on the scholar bus, but that didn’t stop the goings on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbma06
20 Jan 2022, 8:53 pm #10

(20 Jan 2022, 8:43 pm)OrangeArrow49 Just for the avoidance of any misunderstandings, I would have been using the scholars bus service instead of walking, not instead of a normal public service bus in the case of yesterday (and in the future). I was just checking on here as I missed the bus so didn't get to ask the driver. More operators run scholars buses than normal public buses. 

What did used to go on?

I remember when I was at school in the 80’s and the scholar bus service was hectic , windows upstairs used to be open and kids throwing stuff out of them and there used to open the rear emergency window upstairs and dangle out, I felt sorry for the OK travel driver, after awhile there started to put one or two teachers on the scholar bus, but that didn’t stop the goings on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimmi

20 Jan 2022, 8:57 pm #11
The stuff that goes on with a normal service is just as bad, if not worse! we had to restrain passengers on the 7 I got home this afternoon.

Part of me is intrigued to catch some of the buses found on scholars services but I could not stand the noise and behaviour on them, normal service buses at school finish times are bad enough.
Jimmi
20 Jan 2022, 8:57 pm #11

The stuff that goes on with a normal service is just as bad, if not worse! we had to restrain passengers on the 7 I got home this afternoon.

Part of me is intrigued to catch some of the buses found on scholars services but I could not stand the noise and behaviour on them, normal service buses at school finish times are bad enough.

Omega54

20 Jan 2022, 9:29 pm #12
(20 Jan 2022, 8:57 pm)Jimmi The stuff that goes on with a normal service is just as bad, if not worse! we had to restrain passengers on the 7 I got home this afternoon.

Durham is just horrendous for schools/colleges.
Omega54
20 Jan 2022, 9:29 pm #12

(20 Jan 2022, 8:57 pm)Jimmi The stuff that goes on with a normal service is just as bad, if not worse! we had to restrain passengers on the 7 I got home this afternoon.

Durham is just horrendous for schools/colleges.

20 Jan 2022, 9:38 pm #13

Like which ones? For me it's just that more operators run school (and works) services. Yesterday it was just I had a ticket and had done so much walking already, but definitely the noise/behaviour could be an issue (but then it can be on normal buses) and its only good for a short journey really.

Apparently I can't film scholars buses as they have school kids on them, which is a shame as some of them are nice or interesting buses (fair enough, some aren't).
OrangeArrow49
20 Jan 2022, 9:38 pm #13

Like which ones? For me it's just that more operators run school (and works) services. Yesterday it was just I had a ticket and had done so much walking already, but definitely the noise/behaviour could be an issue (but then it can be on normal buses) and its only good for a short journey really.

Apparently I can't film scholars buses as they have school kids on them, which is a shame as some of them are nice or interesting buses (fair enough, some aren't).

Jimmi

20 Jan 2022, 10:40 pm #14
(20 Jan 2022, 9:38 pm)OrangeArrow49 Like which ones? For me it's just that more operators run school (and works) services. Yesterday it was just I had a ticket and had done so much walking already, but definitely the noise/behaviour could be an issue (but then it can be on normal buses) and its only good for a short journey really.

It's mostly closed door contracts where the interesting ones are up here, one example being this Ted Wilford Coaches OmniLink which I snapped on It's way to pick up a school run in Peterlee yesterday: https://flic.kr/p/2mY6F78

My goal atm is to get pics of lesser seen buses and coaches such as those found on scholars (and/or rail replacements etc) although with scholars stuff I try to suss out spots I can get them when running light rather than in service to avoid any trouble/misunderstandings.
Jimmi
20 Jan 2022, 10:40 pm #14

(20 Jan 2022, 9:38 pm)OrangeArrow49 Like which ones? For me it's just that more operators run school (and works) services. Yesterday it was just I had a ticket and had done so much walking already, but definitely the noise/behaviour could be an issue (but then it can be on normal buses) and its only good for a short journey really.

It's mostly closed door contracts where the interesting ones are up here, one example being this Ted Wilford Coaches OmniLink which I snapped on It's way to pick up a school run in Peterlee yesterday: https://flic.kr/p/2mY6F78

My goal atm is to get pics of lesser seen buses and coaches such as those found on scholars (and/or rail replacements etc) although with scholars stuff I try to suss out spots I can get them when running light rather than in service to avoid any trouble/misunderstandings.

Andreos1

20 Jan 2022, 11:08 pm #15
(20 Jan 2022, 10:40 pm)Jimmi It's mostly closed door contracts where the interesting ones are up here, one example being this Ted Wilford Coaches OmniLink which I snapped on It's way to pick up a school run in Peterlee yesterday: https://flic.kr/p/2mY6F78

I've been trying to get a closer look at this one for a while now. 
See it regularly on the A19 and although I assumed it was a Ted Wilford on a Peterlee scholars, I'd never had a chance to note its details.
Saved me a job. Cheers!

I assumed it replaced the Dennis Javelin. Haven't seen that for a while now.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
20 Jan 2022, 11:08 pm #15

(20 Jan 2022, 10:40 pm)Jimmi It's mostly closed door contracts where the interesting ones are up here, one example being this Ted Wilford Coaches OmniLink which I snapped on It's way to pick up a school run in Peterlee yesterday: https://flic.kr/p/2mY6F78

I've been trying to get a closer look at this one for a while now. 
See it regularly on the A19 and although I assumed it was a Ted Wilford on a Peterlee scholars, I'd never had a chance to note its details.
Saved me a job. Cheers!

I assumed it replaced the Dennis Javelin. Haven't seen that for a while now.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

idiot

20 Jan 2022, 11:22 pm #16
(20 Jan 2022, 7:23 pm)OrangeArrow49 Why have you used scholars? How did using normal buses save time?
Because the scholars meant only one chnage and not 3.

Tbf I had a double seat to myself lol. I was also had my ID round my neck and in my orange council hi viz travelling to another educational establishment.
idiot
20 Jan 2022, 11:22 pm #16

(20 Jan 2022, 7:23 pm)OrangeArrow49 Why have you used scholars? How did using normal buses save time?
Because the scholars meant only one chnage and not 3.

Tbf I had a double seat to myself lol. I was also had my ID round my neck and in my orange council hi viz travelling to another educational establishment.

20 Jan 2022, 11:22 pm #17

Oh, that's a shame (although they are better to look at/photograph than ride on, it's good to have the option). I didn't realise it wasn't allowed to film scholars buses in service (although it does involve filming school kids it's the bus I'm filming really and not the kids). During lockdown it was possible to film them empty in service (GNE had a couple of Cobalt & Coasts on, and there was a Crusader Mercedes Citaro at one point). That's a good photo, I've never heard of Ted Wilford before. School kids surely think adults getting on their bus are weird?

(20 Jan 2022, 11:22 pm)idiot Because the scholars meant only one chnage and not 3.

Scholars buses don't really go anywhere people want to be usually, but I think using the service if the bus is there and going where you want to be it should be allowed to use it, without kids thinking you are weird and filming buses should also be allowed even when they have kids onboard, perhaps bus enthusiasts should have recognisable ID.
Edited 20 Jan 2022, 11:29 pm by OrangeArrow49.
OrangeArrow49
20 Jan 2022, 11:22 pm #17

Oh, that's a shame (although they are better to look at/photograph than ride on, it's good to have the option). I didn't realise it wasn't allowed to film scholars buses in service (although it does involve filming school kids it's the bus I'm filming really and not the kids). During lockdown it was possible to film them empty in service (GNE had a couple of Cobalt & Coasts on, and there was a Crusader Mercedes Citaro at one point). That's a good photo, I've never heard of Ted Wilford before. School kids surely think adults getting on their bus are weird?

(20 Jan 2022, 11:22 pm)idiot Because the scholars meant only one chnage and not 3.

Scholars buses don't really go anywhere people want to be usually, but I think using the service if the bus is there and going where you want to be it should be allowed to use it, without kids thinking you are weird and filming buses should also be allowed even when they have kids onboard, perhaps bus enthusiasts should have recognisable ID.

Rob44

21 Jan 2022, 11:51 am #18
This may have been a dream but im sure northumbra put an open topper on the bus they used to get pupils to seaton burn college. must have been late 80's?
Rob44
21 Jan 2022, 11:51 am #18

This may have been a dream but im sure northumbra put an open topper on the bus they used to get pupils to seaton burn college. must have been late 80's?

Chris 1

21 Jan 2022, 12:36 pm #19

What did used to go on?

My eldest reports general noise, fighting, throwing stuff, kicking the windows off their gaskets, decorating the top deck with toilet roll, rushing from one side to the other on a bend to 'see if the bus will topple over' (!) as all being standard behaviour.
Chris 1
21 Jan 2022, 12:36 pm #19

What did used to go on?

My eldest reports general noise, fighting, throwing stuff, kicking the windows off their gaskets, decorating the top deck with toilet roll, rushing from one side to the other on a bend to 'see if the bus will topple over' (!) as all being standard behaviour.

21 Jan 2022, 12:45 pm #20
(21 Jan 2022, 12:36 pm)Chris 1 My eldest reports general noise, fighting, throwing stuff, kicking the windows off their gaskets, decorating the top deck with toilet roll, rushing from one side to the other on a bend to 'see if the bus will topple over' (!) as all being standard behaviour.

Oh wow. Kids are crazy aren't they?! I never used scholars buses when I was at school, which is a shame as it was a bit of a walk (around half an hour, maybe a bit longer). No idea why I didn't, just never thought about it. Scholars buses never looked that interesting anyway back then.
OrangeArrow49
21 Jan 2022, 12:45 pm #20

(21 Jan 2022, 12:36 pm)Chris 1 My eldest reports general noise, fighting, throwing stuff, kicking the windows off their gaskets, decorating the top deck with toilet roll, rushing from one side to the other on a bend to 'see if the bus will topple over' (!) as all being standard behaviour.

Oh wow. Kids are crazy aren't they?! I never used scholars buses when I was at school, which is a shame as it was a bit of a walk (around half an hour, maybe a bit longer). No idea why I didn't, just never thought about it. Scholars buses never looked that interesting anyway back then.

Pages (2) 1 2 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average