Menu

North East Buses Other Forms of Transport Railways Interactive Historic Railway Map

Interactive Historic Railway Map

Interactive Historic Railway Map

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Adrian

20 Jan 2022, 12:08 pm #1
Came across this site, which I thought may be of interest to members. Shows the extent of historic railways across the UK: https://www.railmaponline.com/UKIEMap.php

.png
railmap.PNG
Size 1.04 MB / Downloads 87

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
20 Jan 2022, 12:08 pm #1

Came across this site, which I thought may be of interest to members. Shows the extent of historic railways across the UK: https://www.railmaponline.com/UKIEMap.php

.png
railmap.PNG
Size 1.04 MB / Downloads 87

20 Jan 2022, 4:27 pm #2
I'm assuming this is a work in progress? There's more missing than that are shown!
54APhotography
20 Jan 2022, 4:27 pm #2

I'm assuming this is a work in progress? There's more missing than that are shown!

Andreos1

20 Jan 2022, 4:33 pm #3
(20 Jan 2022, 4:27 pm)54APhotography I'm assuming this is a work in progress? There's more missing than that are shown!
The one that jumps out to me, is the line which went to Phili Depot and had the spur with the Leamside line at Elba Park.

(20 Jan 2022, 12:08 pm)Adrian Came across this site, which I thought may be of interest to members. Shows the extent of historic railways across the UK: https://www.railmaponline.com/UKIEMap.php
Intrigued about that collection of lines near Frankland Prison. 
Can vaguely remember some concrete buildings in that area, but can't remember what they were for. 
Didn't know there were any lines there at all.
Edited 20 Jan 2022, 4:34 pm by Andreos1.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
20 Jan 2022, 4:33 pm #3

(20 Jan 2022, 4:27 pm)54APhotography I'm assuming this is a work in progress? There's more missing than that are shown!
The one that jumps out to me, is the line which went to Phili Depot and had the spur with the Leamside line at Elba Park.

(20 Jan 2022, 12:08 pm)Adrian Came across this site, which I thought may be of interest to members. Shows the extent of historic railways across the UK: https://www.railmaponline.com/UKIEMap.php
Can vaguely remember some concrete buildings in that area, but can't remember what they were for. 

Adrian

20 Jan 2022, 4:42 pm #4

Yeah. It seems to be a constant work in progress.

You should have the option to select layers to show/hide some other stuff on there.

(20 Jan 2022, 4:33 pm)Andreos1 The one that jumps out to me, is the line which went to Phili Depot and had the spur with the Leamside line at Elba Park.

Clicking on some of the lines gives you a description, if there's details available.

Adrian
20 Jan 2022, 4:42 pm #4

Yeah. It seems to be a constant work in progress.

You should have the option to select layers to show/hide some other stuff on there.

(20 Jan 2022, 4:33 pm)Andreos1 The one that jumps out to me, is the line which went to Phili Depot and had the spur with the Leamside line at Elba Park.

Clicking on some of the lines gives you a description, if there's details available.

20 Jan 2022, 5:09 pm #5

The remains of the buildings near the prison estate are the Brasside & Frankland brickworks, closed late 1950s/early 1960s.
Finchale and Frankland collieries were also close by depicted by the fan of lines, railways arrived in the 1840's on the Earl of Durham's estates and the two collieries closed in the early 1900s, but both were reworked between 1922 and 1932.
54APhotography
20 Jan 2022, 5:09 pm #5

The remains of the buildings near the prison estate are the Brasside & Frankland brickworks, closed late 1950s/early 1960s.
Finchale and Frankland collieries were also close by depicted by the fan of lines, railways arrived in the 1840's on the Earl of Durham's estates and the two collieries closed in the early 1900s, but both were reworked between 1922 and 1932.

BusLoverMum

20 Jan 2022, 5:38 pm #6

As I suspected, as it looked like an industrial line, just had a look at some old OS maps and the 1947 one has a brick and tile works there.

https://www.francisfrith.com/uk/finchale-priory/maps
BusLoverMum
20 Jan 2022, 5:38 pm #6

As I suspected, as it looked like an industrial line, just had a look at some old OS maps and the 1947 one has a brick and tile works there.

GuyParkRoyal

21 Jan 2022, 4:11 pm #7

The concrete buildings was the Ministry of Supply Brasside Munitions Depot set up to supply the Royal Navy during world war two. The site had 24 concrete storage bunkers and ancillary buildings with a spur from the main railway network. Apparently the link to the main railway network was removed during the building of the prison.
The site covers a huge area and can be viewed on youtube from a drone survey uploaded by John Twist.
GuyParkRoyal
21 Jan 2022, 4:11 pm #7

The concrete buildings was the Ministry of Supply Brasside Munitions Depot set up to supply the Royal Navy during world war two. The site had 24 concrete storage bunkers and ancillary buildings with a spur from the main railway network. Apparently the link to the main railway network was removed during the building of the prison.
The site covers a huge area and can be viewed on youtube from a drone survey uploaded by John Twist.

Andreos1

22 Jan 2022, 10:46 am #8
(20 Jan 2022, 5:38 pm)BusLoverMum As I suspected, as it looked like an industrial line, just had a look at some old OS maps and the 1947 one has a brick and tile works there.

Didn't know about the brick works, but makes sense with some of the ponds there.

(21 Jan 2022, 4:11 pm)GuyParkRoyal The concrete buildings was the Ministry of Supply Brasside Munitions Depot set up to supply the Royal Navy during world war two. The site had 24 concrete storage bunkers and ancillary buildings with a spur from the main railway network. Apparently the link to the main railway network was removed during the building of the prison.
Munitions dump! That's similar to the story I heard. 
Mind, the prison was only finished late 70s/early 80s, so that's a long time to leave the spur in place.
Edited 22 Jan 2022, 10:49 am by Andreos1.

Andreos1
22 Jan 2022, 10:46 am #8

(20 Jan 2022, 5:38 pm)BusLoverMum As I suspected, as it looked like an industrial line, just had a look at some old OS maps and the 1947 one has a brick and tile works there.

Didn't know about the brick works, but makes sense with some of the ponds there.

(21 Jan 2022, 4:11 pm)GuyParkRoyal The concrete buildings was the Ministry of Supply Brasside Munitions Depot set up to supply the Royal Navy during world war two. The site had 24 concrete storage bunkers and ancillary buildings with a spur from the main railway network. Apparently the link to the main railway network was removed during the building of the prison.
Mind, the prison was only finished late 70s/early 80s, so that's a long time to leave the spur in place.

BusLoverMum

22 Jan 2022, 10:56 am #9
(22 Jan 2022, 10:46 am)Andreos1 Didn't know about the brick works, but makes sense with some of the ponds there.

I had no idea about brickworks in Durham until I spotted a brick on my house with a claypath brickwork imprint. There were some around Crook Hall, too.
BusLoverMum
22 Jan 2022, 10:56 am #9

(22 Jan 2022, 10:46 am)Andreos1 Didn't know about the brick works, but makes sense with some of the ponds there.

I had no idea about brickworks in Durham until I spotted a brick on my house with a claypath brickwork imprint. There were some around Crook Hall, too.

Andreos1

22 Jan 2022, 11:54 am #10
(22 Jan 2022, 10:56 am)BusLoverMum I had no idea about brickworks in Durham until I spotted a brick on my house with a claypath brickwork imprint. There were some around Crook Hall, too.
Loads of brick works around that neck of the woods at one point. Lumley and Birtley were big manufacturers of bricks too.

Andreos1
22 Jan 2022, 11:54 am #10

(22 Jan 2022, 10:56 am)BusLoverMum I had no idea about brickworks in Durham until I spotted a brick on my house with a claypath brickwork imprint. There were some around Crook Hall, too.
Loads of brick works around that neck of the woods at one point. Lumley and Birtley were big manufacturers of bricks too.

BusLoverMum

22 Jan 2022, 1:24 pm #11
(22 Jan 2022, 11:54 am)Andreos1 Loads of brick works around that neck of the woods at one point. Lumley and Birtley were big manufacturers of bricks too.
I knew about Birtley as I lived in a house built with Birtley bricks. I never put 2 and 2 together with Claypath, though Blush
BusLoverMum
22 Jan 2022, 1:24 pm #11

(22 Jan 2022, 11:54 am)Andreos1 Loads of brick works around that neck of the woods at one point. Lumley and Birtley were big manufacturers of bricks too.
I knew about Birtley as I lived in a house built with Birtley bricks. I never put 2 and 2 together with Claypath, though Blush

Andreos1

28 Dec 2022, 2:48 pm #12
https://southpelawjunction.co.uk/wp/

Spent quite a few hours reading this today. 

Some interesting things on there.

Andreos1
28 Dec 2022, 2:48 pm #12

https://southpelawjunction.co.uk/wp/

Spent quite a few hours reading this today. 

Some interesting things on there.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average