Menu

North East Buses The Bus Scene Elsewhere Bus Management & Infrastructure North Yorkshire

North Yorkshire

North Yorkshire

• 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average

Bazza

13 Feb 2022, 7:50 pm #1
https://yorkshirebylines.co.uk/news/tran...atisation/

An interesting read
tvd

18 Feb 2022, 6:41 pm #2
Am not sure that local authorities running the buses would improve things much, as always everything comes down to money.

Many villages in rural N Yorks and elsewhere will never able to be served by commercially operate buses, likewise for evening journeys in even more places.

Buses may be a 'lifeline', as it always says in these articles, but there's never a wider discussion and acceptance that 2 or 3 passengers on a bus is nowhere near viable for a commercial operator.

An idea I would suggest is charging ENCTS pass holders a small fare per journey, which goes to the local authority and ring-fenced to go back into improving local bus services and subsidising routes or particular journeys which may be vital to those that use them.

I did however suggest a similar token payment should be made by pensioners on the MoorsBus, but was shot down in flames by all those who were used to free rides whenever and however often they liked, and resented being asked to pay anything at all.

The facts remain though as more buses become unprofitable to run, they will be cut unless funded through some sort of subsidy. I dont have all the answers, but it does seem to me that not many people in the wider public want to face obvious facts.
tvd
18 Feb 2022, 6:41 pm #2

Am not sure that local authorities running the buses would improve things much, as always everything comes down to money.

Many villages in rural N Yorks and elsewhere will never able to be served by commercially operate buses, likewise for evening journeys in even more places.

Buses may be a 'lifeline', as it always says in these articles, but there's never a wider discussion and acceptance that 2 or 3 passengers on a bus is nowhere near viable for a commercial operator.

An idea I would suggest is charging ENCTS pass holders a small fare per journey, which goes to the local authority and ring-fenced to go back into improving local bus services and subsidising routes or particular journeys which may be vital to those that use them.

I did however suggest a similar token payment should be made by pensioners on the MoorsBus, but was shot down in flames by all those who were used to free rides whenever and however often they liked, and resented being asked to pay anything at all.

The facts remain though as more buses become unprofitable to run, they will be cut unless funded through some sort of subsidy. I dont have all the answers, but it does seem to me that not many people in the wider public want to face obvious facts.

Adrian

18 Feb 2022, 8:16 pm #3
(18 Feb 2022, 6:41 pm)tvd Am not sure that local authorities running the buses would improve things much, as always everything comes down to money.

The facts remain though as more buses become unprofitable to run, they will be cut unless funded through some sort of subsidy.  I dont have all the answers, but it does seem to me that not many people in the wider public want to face obvious facts.

ENCTS to no longer be free would be electoral suicide, and the Tories know it, so I'd be extremely surprised if they go near that.

Personally I think that buses would be better ran as a public service, rather than a profit-generating business. You remove money as the motive by doing so and replace it with people. Deregulation has largely been almost four decades of failure now, and COVID has only sped that process up by a couple of years, no matter how many Stenning liveries you try and counter it with.

That being said, we can see already with the National Bus Strategy, that it's all hot air and nothing to back it up. There's a £5bn funding gap in what is needed to start with, before you even get into ongoing funding.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
18 Feb 2022, 8:16 pm #3

(18 Feb 2022, 6:41 pm)tvd Am not sure that local authorities running the buses would improve things much, as always everything comes down to money.

The facts remain though as more buses become unprofitable to run, they will be cut unless funded through some sort of subsidy.  I dont have all the answers, but it does seem to me that not many people in the wider public want to face obvious facts.

ENCTS to no longer be free would be electoral suicide, and the Tories know it, so I'd be extremely surprised if they go near that.

Personally I think that buses would be better ran as a public service, rather than a profit-generating business. You remove money as the motive by doing so and replace it with people. Deregulation has largely been almost four decades of failure now, and COVID has only sped that process up by a couple of years, no matter how many Stenning liveries you try and counter it with.

That being said, we can see already with the National Bus Strategy, that it's all hot air and nothing to back it up. There's a £5bn funding gap in what is needed to start with, before you even get into ongoing funding.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

tvd

19 Feb 2022, 8:42 am #4
I know I'm in a minority, as most people wouldn't change the ENCTS passes. But you rather prove my point : If people would be so outraged at paying a few pence per journey which was guaranteed to go back into providing better bus services local to their area, then so be it. However, everything has to be paid for somehow and like you say there is a funding gap already simply maintaining existing bus services, before we think about additional ones.

Public ownership is unlikely to happen either, and even if did there'd be financial pressures on how many unprofitable journeys could be subsidised.

It's possible that bus usage will increase more as we come out of the pandemic and people are hit by the cost of living increase and can't afford to run a car (or in years to come, the cost of an electric car). But I think it's far more likely that we just see a continued decline, sadly, with more journeys lost and replaced to an extent by some demand responsive transport in some areas.
tvd
19 Feb 2022, 8:42 am #4

I know I'm in a minority, as most people wouldn't change the ENCTS passes. But you rather prove my point : If people would be so outraged at paying a few pence per journey which was guaranteed to go back into providing better bus services local to their area, then so be it. However, everything has to be paid for somehow and like you say there is a funding gap already simply maintaining existing bus services, before we think about additional ones.

Public ownership is unlikely to happen either, and even if did there'd be financial pressures on how many unprofitable journeys could be subsidised.

It's possible that bus usage will increase more as we come out of the pandemic and people are hit by the cost of living increase and can't afford to run a car (or in years to come, the cost of an electric car). But I think it's far more likely that we just see a continued decline, sadly, with more journeys lost and replaced to an extent by some demand responsive transport in some areas.

Rob44

19 Feb 2022, 9:31 am #5
(19 Feb 2022, 8:42 am)tvd I know I'm in a minority, as most people wouldn't change the ENCTS passes.  But you rather prove my point : If people would be so outraged at paying a few pence per journey which was guaranteed to go back into providing better bus services local to their area, then so be it.  However, everything has to be paid for somehow and like you say there is a funding gap already simply maintaining existing bus services, before we think about additional ones.

It's possible that bus usage will increase more as we come out of the pandemic and people are hit by the cost of living increase and can't afford to run a car (or in years to come, the cost of an electric car).  But I think it's far more likely that we just see a continued decline, sadly, with more journeys lost and replaced to an extent by some demand responsive transport in some areas.

Im with you. Ive always joked that if i ever become prime minister the first thing i would do is make a flat charge for each journey a ENCTS passholder makes. Say 50p? The i would start on blue badges!
Rob44
19 Feb 2022, 9:31 am #5

(19 Feb 2022, 8:42 am)tvd I know I'm in a minority, as most people wouldn't change the ENCTS passes.  But you rather prove my point : If people would be so outraged at paying a few pence per journey which was guaranteed to go back into providing better bus services local to their area, then so be it.  However, everything has to be paid for somehow and like you say there is a funding gap already simply maintaining existing bus services, before we think about additional ones.

It's possible that bus usage will increase more as we come out of the pandemic and people are hit by the cost of living increase and can't afford to run a car (or in years to come, the cost of an electric car).  But I think it's far more likely that we just see a continued decline, sadly, with more journeys lost and replaced to an extent by some demand responsive transport in some areas.

Im with you. Ive always joked that if i ever become prime minister the first thing i would do is make a flat charge for each journey a ENCTS passholder makes. Say 50p? The i would start on blue badges!

• 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average