Menu

North East Buses Other Forms of Transport Railways North East Rail and Metro Strategy

North East Rail and Metro Strategy

North East Rail and Metro Strategy

• 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average

Storx

15 Feb 2022, 9:49 pm #1
Seen they've released the plans for this - https://www.transportnortheast.gov.uk/wp...rategy.pdf

Thank god the Consett line is dead and buried. Nothing really stupid as usual bar the Cobalt link which I don't see the point when the 19 is failing as it is. Nice to see the Doxford Park and West End lines are back on with a service running along the ECML via Dunston towards the Metro Centre.
Storx
15 Feb 2022, 9:49 pm #1

Seen they've released the plans for this - https://www.transportnortheast.gov.uk/wp...rategy.pdf

Thank god the Consett line is dead and buried. Nothing really stupid as usual bar the Cobalt link which I don't see the point when the 19 is failing as it is. Nice to see the Doxford Park and West End lines are back on with a service running along the ECML via Dunston towards the Metro Centre.

16 Feb 2022, 12:20 am #2
Pah I believe it when I see it.

Report neglects to mention freight operator GB Railfreight who runs Biomass trains from Tyne Dock to Lynemouth and Drax Power Stations.

As for the route extensions, the only one I can see operational by 2035 is the Ashington line, and possibly work started on reinstating the Leamside Line.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Rapidsnap
16 Feb 2022, 12:20 am #2

Pah I believe it when I see it.

Report neglects to mention freight operator GB Railfreight who runs Biomass trains from Tyne Dock to Lynemouth and Drax Power Stations.

As for the route extensions, the only one I can see operational by 2035 is the Ashington line, and possibly work started on reinstating the Leamside Line.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.

16 Feb 2022, 6:09 am #3
It's just another report into a transport network that isn't fit for purpose, proposing things that either won't come to fruition or will barely make a difference.

The report states that 76% of North East workers were opting to drive to work by car in 2019, not only is this an unsurprisingly high number, it's disgraceful from every transport organisation in the region that the needs of so many people aren't being met by their services.
omnicity4659
16 Feb 2022, 6:09 am #3

It's just another report into a transport network that isn't fit for purpose, proposing things that either won't come to fruition or will barely make a difference.

The report states that 76% of North East workers were opting to drive to work by car in 2019, not only is this an unsurprisingly high number, it's disgraceful from every transport organisation in the region that the needs of so many people aren't being met by their services.

busmanT

16 Feb 2022, 8:27 am #4
(16 Feb 2022, 12:20 am)Rapidsnap Pah I believe it when I see it.

I suspect that work on reopening the Leamside line will start as soon as work on the Northumberland line is complete, provided that there is a single north east Combined Authority and an elected mayor.
busmanT
16 Feb 2022, 8:27 am #4

(16 Feb 2022, 12:20 am)Rapidsnap Pah I believe it when I see it.

I suspect that work on reopening the Leamside line will start as soon as work on the Northumberland line is complete, provided that there is a single north east Combined Authority and an elected mayor.

Andreos1

16 Feb 2022, 9:26 am #5
(16 Feb 2022, 6:09 am)omnicity4659 It's just another report into a transport network that isn't fit for purpose, proposing things that either won't come to fruition or will barely make a difference.

But, but, but bus lanes and priority measures. Tables, WiFi and titivating. That's what gets people on buses Huh

It really is a sad state of affairs when more than 3/4 of the working population chose to drive to work in 2019, rather than use public transport.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
16 Feb 2022, 9:26 am #5

(16 Feb 2022, 6:09 am)omnicity4659 It's just another report into a transport network that isn't fit for purpose, proposing things that either won't come to fruition or will barely make a difference.

But, but, but bus lanes and priority measures. Tables, WiFi and titivating. That's what gets people on buses Huh

It really is a sad state of affairs when more than 3/4 of the working population chose to drive to work in 2019, rather than use public transport.

MurdnunoC

16 Feb 2022, 9:34 am #6
Looks like a rehash of Project Orpheus, which is all these plans essentially offer. Perhaps it's time to draw a bold new plan instead of one which hasn't gained traction (or the funding) in the past? It's almost like a Ray Stenning design.
MurdnunoC
16 Feb 2022, 9:34 am #6

Looks like a rehash of Project Orpheus, which is all these plans essentially offer. Perhaps it's time to draw a bold new plan instead of one which hasn't gained traction (or the funding) in the past? It's almost like a Ray Stenning design.

Andreos1

16 Feb 2022, 9:39 am #7
(16 Feb 2022, 8:27 am)busmanT I suspect that work on reopening the Leamside line will start as soon as work on the Northumberland line is complete, provided that there is a single north east Combined Authority and an elected mayor.
I really hope something comes of the Leamside Line. I also really hope that bus and train operators work together on both lines, integrating and improving their offer - rather than compete. 

The introduction of the train times aboard the GNE fleet is a positive. Just a shame its likely to show wait times of 45mins or so in Seaham when rolled out on to the 71.

Andreos1
16 Feb 2022, 9:39 am #7

(16 Feb 2022, 8:27 am)busmanT I suspect that work on reopening the Leamside line will start as soon as work on the Northumberland line is complete, provided that there is a single north east Combined Authority and an elected mayor.
I really hope something comes of the Leamside Line. I also really hope that bus and train operators work together on both lines, integrating and improving their offer - rather than compete. 

The introduction of the train times aboard the GNE fleet is a positive. Just a shame its likely to show wait times of 45mins or so in Seaham when rolled out on to the 71.

Adrian

16 Feb 2022, 10:00 am #8
(15 Feb 2022, 9:49 pm)Storx Seen they've released the plans for this - https://www.transportnortheast.gov.uk/wp...rategy.pdf

DCC have thrown money towards the Government conducting a feasibility study on the Consett options: https://www.durham.gov.uk/consettrail

They're expecting a response by Spring / Summer 2022.

That is of course the carrot that is being repeatedly dangled, but the curveball now is that Durham County Council have been invited to take forward proposals for County devolution. I'd imagine that depending on how that is planned to work, it could have consequences for a wider North East (LA7) devolution deal.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
16 Feb 2022, 10:00 am #8

(15 Feb 2022, 9:49 pm)Storx Seen they've released the plans for this - https://www.transportnortheast.gov.uk/wp...rategy.pdf

DCC have thrown money towards the Government conducting a feasibility study on the Consett options: https://www.durham.gov.uk/consettrail

They're expecting a response by Spring / Summer 2022.

That is of course the carrot that is being repeatedly dangled, but the curveball now is that Durham County Council have been invited to take forward proposals for County devolution. I'd imagine that depending on how that is planned to work, it could have consequences for a wider North East (LA7) devolution deal.

17 Feb 2022, 10:29 am #9
Interesting that the Metro extension is staying, with the trains going on via the Bensham curve ,Birtley, Ouston and Chester-le-Street. Conflicting maps, one shows the extension from St. James, the other from Central..
54APhotography
17 Feb 2022, 10:29 am #9

Interesting that the Metro extension is staying, with the trains going on via the Bensham curve ,Birtley, Ouston and Chester-le-Street. Conflicting maps, one shows the extension from St. James, the other from Central..

Rob44

17 Feb 2022, 10:54 am #10
following on from discussion on another thread something that stood out for me in one of the tables is that those quizzed thought transport being frequent and safe was more important than clean and comfortable
Rob44
17 Feb 2022, 10:54 am #10

following on from discussion on another thread something that stood out for me in one of the tables is that those quizzed thought transport being frequent and safe was more important than clean and comfortable

Jimmi

17 Feb 2022, 6:20 pm #11
(17 Feb 2022, 10:54 am)Rob44 following on from discussion on another thread something that stood out for me in one of the tables is that those quizzed thought transport being frequent and safe was more important than clean and comfortable

People in this part of the world travelled on the mostly loathed Pacers for years so is that much of a surprise?!

Whilst I imagine a bright, clean interior/exterior does have some benefits to it to attract/retain some passengers, I can't help but think a simple basic interior does enough to keep passengers and instead find ways to promote the services themselves instead to grow usage.
Jimmi
17 Feb 2022, 6:20 pm #11

(17 Feb 2022, 10:54 am)Rob44 following on from discussion on another thread something that stood out for me in one of the tables is that those quizzed thought transport being frequent and safe was more important than clean and comfortable

People in this part of the world travelled on the mostly loathed Pacers for years so is that much of a surprise?!

Whilst I imagine a bright, clean interior/exterior does have some benefits to it to attract/retain some passengers, I can't help but think a simple basic interior does enough to keep passengers and instead find ways to promote the services themselves instead to grow usage.

Andreos1

07 Mar 2022, 9:57 pm #12
https://www.facebook.com/groups/20776955...930879663/

An interesting post.
People are protesting at the potential conversion of the historic Derwent Valley Walk, back in to the even more historic Derwent Valley Railway.

Andreos1
07 Mar 2022, 9:57 pm #12

https://www.facebook.com/groups/20776955...930879663/

An interesting post.
People are protesting at the potential conversion of the historic Derwent Valley Walk, back in to the even more historic Derwent Valley Railway.

07 Mar 2022, 11:22 pm #13
Let them campaign we have had leamside and Washington campaign for 40 years it is still on the agenda

What you have to remember is wherever you put the Metro in Tyne and Wear

You will lose bus services it is a Fact!

South Hylton Village was a prime example
Edited 07 Mar 2022, 11:23 pm by DaveFromUpNorth.
DaveFromUpNorth
07 Mar 2022, 11:22 pm #13

Let them campaign we have had leamside and Washington campaign for 40 years it is still on the agenda

Adrian

08 Mar 2022, 11:58 am #14
(07 Mar 2022, 11:22 pm)DaveFromUpNorth Let them campaign we have had leamside and Washington campaign for 40 years it is still on the agenda

For a village of it's size, South Hylton has an excellent service. A Metro every 12 minutes in addition to the half-hourly bus. Why does it have to be one form of public transport vs another, rather than the two complimenting each other?

Given that the Metro in Washington won't reach the Galleries or Concord, there's going to be a requirement for buses to compliment the Metro service there.

Adrian
08 Mar 2022, 11:58 am #14

(07 Mar 2022, 11:22 pm)DaveFromUpNorth Let them campaign we have had leamside and Washington campaign for 40 years it is still on the agenda

For a village of it's size, South Hylton has an excellent service. A Metro every 12 minutes in addition to the half-hourly bus. Why does it have to be one form of public transport vs another, rather than the two complimenting each other?

Given that the Metro in Washington won't reach the Galleries or Concord, there's going to be a requirement for buses to compliment the Metro service there.

Storx

08 Mar 2022, 6:49 pm #15

I'm not sure whether it's just discussing a different point here but Derwent Walk is on the fantasy Consett line which won't be getting built anytime soon so there's nothing for them to worry about.

It's nothing to do with the Leamside Line. Also if the Metro served where I lived every single bus service could disappear, I really wouldn't care tbh.

Metro -> Train -> Walk -> Bus
Storx
08 Mar 2022, 6:49 pm #15

I'm not sure whether it's just discussing a different point here but Derwent Walk is on the fantasy Consett line which won't be getting built anytime soon so there's nothing for them to worry about.

It's nothing to do with the Leamside Line. Also if the Metro served where I lived every single bus service could disappear, I really wouldn't care tbh.

Metro -> Train -> Walk -> Bus

• 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average