Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Nexus Tenders | Sunderland, Washington & Gateshead - May 2022

Nexus Tenders | Sunderland, Washington & Gateshead - May 2022

Nexus Tenders | Sunderland, Washington & Gateshead - May 2022

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (3) 1 2 3 Next
Dan

Site Administrator

25 Feb 2022, 6:11 pm #1
Nexus has today invited operators to tender for services across Sunderland, Washington and Gateshead.

An anticipated decision to award will be made by 30 March 2022, with contracts awarded on 12 April, with contracts commencing from 15 May.

These tenders do include some services which are currently operated by larger operators on a commercial basis, as well as amendments to existing secured services to accommodate some of these changes.

As with the March 2022 tenders, the tender documents which are now available on the e-portal must be treated as private and confidential and a specific line has been included again to instruct that details of the tender document must not be released other than on an ‘In Confidence’ basis to those who have legitimate need to know or whom they need to consult for the purpose of preparing this tender. This is to give operators time to undertake internal communications, so I'd like to ask that we respect that at this stage.
Dan
25 Feb 2022, 6:11 pm #1

Nexus has today invited operators to tender for services across Sunderland, Washington and Gateshead.

An anticipated decision to award will be made by 30 March 2022, with contracts awarded on 12 April, with contracts commencing from 15 May.

These tenders do include some services which are currently operated by larger operators on a commercial basis, as well as amendments to existing secured services to accommodate some of these changes.

As with the March 2022 tenders, the tender documents which are now available on the e-portal must be treated as private and confidential and a specific line has been included again to instruct that details of the tender document must not be released other than on an ‘In Confidence’ basis to those who have legitimate need to know or whom they need to consult for the purpose of preparing this tender. This is to give operators time to undertake internal communications, so I'd like to ask that we respect that at this stage.

Michael

25 Feb 2022, 7:17 pm #2
Services I think are at a risk:

Stagecoach:

8 - South Hylton to Sunderland
18 - Gilly Law to Seaburn - withdrawn
3/4/16/20/23 - drop in frequency to every 15 mins
10/11 - every 20 mins (10 combined)
E1/E2/E6 - as of now (10 mins combined)

Go North East:

35A between Boldon and Heworth
X6
Peterlee Purples
Little Pinks

NEXUS:

37/73
135/136

Can't say for the other area's as I don't really know them

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
25 Feb 2022, 7:17 pm #2

Services I think are at a risk:

Stagecoach:

Go North East:

X6
Peterlee Purples
Little Pinks

NEXUS:

37/73
135/136

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Ambassador

25 Feb 2022, 9:57 pm #3
Not sure if it falls under Washington but the cost for the 23 is obscene and surely a contender

You could easily divert the 28 along Ravensworth Rd and then Windsor Rd to join Windsor Road (as the 721 used to back in the day) to cover that section, stick a taxi bus around springwell village and let little pinks take up the barley mow end.

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
25 Feb 2022, 9:57 pm #3

Not sure if it falls under Washington but the cost for the 23 is obscene and surely a contender

You could easily divert the 28 along Ravensworth Rd and then Windsor Rd to join Windsor Road (as the 721 used to back in the day) to cover that section, stick a taxi bus around springwell village and let little pinks take up the barley mow end.

Wistfully stuck in the 90s

MurdnunoC

25 Feb 2022, 10:20 pm #4
67/69 will almost certainly be contenders too.

67 could be mostly covered by extending the 49/49a beyond Gateshead following the 51/52 route to Carr Hill Road then the 67 route to either the QE or Wardley. The 69 might prove to be a little more problematic as it is more likely be used by people travelling between, say, Whickham and Winlaton, or Whickham and the QE - rather than the entire route.

Perhaps the Whickham to Winlaton section could be lumped in with a revised 643 (Metrocentre - Whickham - Winlaton), or a rejiggle of the R routes?
MurdnunoC
25 Feb 2022, 10:20 pm #4

67/69 will almost certainly be contenders too.

67 could be mostly covered by extending the 49/49a beyond Gateshead following the 51/52 route to Carr Hill Road then the 67 route to either the QE or Wardley. The 69 might prove to be a little more problematic as it is more likely be used by people travelling between, say, Whickham and Winlaton, or Whickham and the QE - rather than the entire route.

Perhaps the Whickham to Winlaton section could be lumped in with a revised 643 (Metrocentre - Whickham - Winlaton), or a rejiggle of the R routes?

Andreos1

26 Feb 2022, 1:45 am #5
(25 Feb 2022, 7:17 pm)Michael Services I think are at a risk:

Stagecoach:

Go North East:

X6
Peterlee Purples
Little Pinks

NEXUS:

37/73
135/136

I'd hazard a guess that those congestion busting routes around Sunderland haven't busted congestion nor created desire. So will be on the list.
Probably the same in Washington with certain local services proving to be economically unviable.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
26 Feb 2022, 1:45 am #5

(25 Feb 2022, 7:17 pm)Michael Services I think are at a risk:

Stagecoach:

Go North East:

X6
Peterlee Purples
Little Pinks

NEXUS:

37/73
135/136

I'd hazard a guess that those congestion busting routes around Sunderland haven't busted congestion nor created desire. So will be on the list.
Probably the same in Washington with certain local services proving to be economically unviable.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

Dan

Site Administrator

26 Feb 2022, 6:44 am #6
(25 Feb 2022, 9:57 pm)Ambassador Not sure if it falls under Washington but the cost for the 23 is obscene and surely a contender

The 23 is normally a July tender, so it’ll be another few months before the outcome of this route is known.

The good thing, I suppose, about larger commercial operators making changes to their network with more services becoming secured, is that it’s giving Nexus an opportunity to review their existing secured services and really ask themselves the question if it’s a good use of taxpayers money.

The changes in North Tyneside probably make use of existing budget but provide a much better network of services to customers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan
26 Feb 2022, 6:44 am #6

(25 Feb 2022, 9:57 pm)Ambassador Not sure if it falls under Washington but the cost for the 23 is obscene and surely a contender

The 23 is normally a July tender, so it’ll be another few months before the outcome of this route is known.

The good thing, I suppose, about larger commercial operators making changes to their network with more services becoming secured, is that it’s giving Nexus an opportunity to review their existing secured services and really ask themselves the question if it’s a good use of taxpayers money.

The changes in North Tyneside probably make use of existing budget but provide a much better network of services to customers.

26 Feb 2022, 10:22 am #7
(26 Feb 2022, 6:44 am)Dan The good thing, I suppose, about larger commercial operators making changes to their network with more services becoming secured, is that it’s giving Nexus an opportunity to review their existing secured services and really ask themselves the question if it’s a good use of taxpayers money.

A good use of taxpayer's money would be improving the passenger experience of bus stops, interchanges and Metro stations and pushing for total integration between modes. The money should be spent liaising with the public, councils, bus and rail operators to encourage more sustainable travel that works for the majority.

This money shouldn't be used to prop up a failing network of services because operators refuse to listen to the majority of the public to see what they actually want. Although there have been some improvements, it barely touches the number of people who choose to drive.

I hope bus companies realise very soon that marketing and painting buses running as they are is equivalent to polishing a turd. The only thing that would force me back to bus travel is spiralling fuel costs, not how (un)attractive it is.

The strengthening of trunk roads and improvements to rail services only shows which direction we're going in regards to bus travel.
omnicity4659
26 Feb 2022, 10:22 am #7

(26 Feb 2022, 6:44 am)Dan The good thing, I suppose, about larger commercial operators making changes to their network with more services becoming secured, is that it’s giving Nexus an opportunity to review their existing secured services and really ask themselves the question if it’s a good use of taxpayers money.

A good use of taxpayer's money would be improving the passenger experience of bus stops, interchanges and Metro stations and pushing for total integration between modes. The money should be spent liaising with the public, councils, bus and rail operators to encourage more sustainable travel that works for the majority.

This money shouldn't be used to prop up a failing network of services because operators refuse to listen to the majority of the public to see what they actually want. Although there have been some improvements, it barely touches the number of people who choose to drive.

I hope bus companies realise very soon that marketing and painting buses running as they are is equivalent to polishing a turd. The only thing that would force me back to bus travel is spiralling fuel costs, not how (un)attractive it is.

The strengthening of trunk roads and improvements to rail services only shows which direction we're going in regards to bus travel.

citaro5284

26 Feb 2022, 10:47 am #8
(26 Feb 2022, 10:22 am)omnicity4659 A good use of taxpayer's money would be improving the passenger experience of bus stops, interchanges and Metro stations and pushing for total integration between modes. The money should be spent liaising with the public, councils, bus and rail operators to encourage more sustainable travel that works for the majority.

Am I right in thinking that you have actually done some work for Arriva in this field - if so nee good for your business or ideas then.
citaro5284
26 Feb 2022, 10:47 am #8

(26 Feb 2022, 10:22 am)omnicity4659 A good use of taxpayer's money would be improving the passenger experience of bus stops, interchanges and Metro stations and pushing for total integration between modes. The money should be spent liaising with the public, councils, bus and rail operators to encourage more sustainable travel that works for the majority.

Am I right in thinking that you have actually done some work for Arriva in this field - if so nee good for your business or ideas then.

26 Feb 2022, 11:17 am #9
(26 Feb 2022, 10:47 am)citaro5284 Am I right in thinking that you have actually done some work for Arriva in this field - if so nee good for your business or ideas then.

Not for marketing of bus services, with the exception of providing assistance for seasonal bus services. Other work for Arriva was related to the phase-out of old branding.

I have done work for other bus companies, but again, marketing as such has been very limited.
omnicity4659
26 Feb 2022, 11:17 am #9

(26 Feb 2022, 10:47 am)citaro5284 Am I right in thinking that you have actually done some work for Arriva in this field - if so nee good for your business or ideas then.

Not for marketing of bus services, with the exception of providing assistance for seasonal bus services. Other work for Arriva was related to the phase-out of old branding.

I have done work for other bus companies, but again, marketing as such has been very limited.

26 Feb 2022, 4:17 pm #10
(26 Feb 2022, 6:44 am)Dan The 23 is normally a July tender, so it’ll be another few months before the outcome of this route is known.

Death knell for the pointless 135/136 then I guess.
deanmachine
26 Feb 2022, 4:17 pm #10

(26 Feb 2022, 6:44 am)Dan The 23 is normally a July tender, so it’ll be another few months before the outcome of this route is known.

Death knell for the pointless 135/136 then I guess.

Jimmi

26 Feb 2022, 5:48 pm #11

An idea I've just had is drop it to hourly and extend it to Concord via Usworth then interwork with the 37 to/from Doxford Park. Probs have to drop Sainsbury's and not serve Wrekenton High Street a bit like the 25 to save time but it might just be about achievable and a Strata* is probs big enough for both services.

73 would be withdrawn as the 8 now covers most of the route.

This would require 3 buses down from the current 5 (2 × 23 & 3 × 37/73)

* I think some of these contracts should be looked at more of the usage as some seem to have a high number for minimum capacity, when have you seen 30 odd people on the 33/33A in Newcastle for example?!
Jimmi
26 Feb 2022, 5:48 pm #11

An idea I've just had is drop it to hourly and extend it to Concord via Usworth then interwork with the 37 to/from Doxford Park. Probs have to drop Sainsbury's and not serve Wrekenton High Street a bit like the 25 to save time but it might just be about achievable and a Strata* is probs big enough for both services.

* I think some of these contracts should be looked at more of the usage as some seem to have a high number for minimum capacity, when have you seen 30 odd people on the 33/33A in Newcastle for example?!

Train8261

26 Feb 2022, 6:24 pm #12
(26 Feb 2022, 5:48 pm)Jimmi An idea I've just had is drop it to hourly and extend it to Concord via Usworth then interwork with the 37 to/from Doxford Park. Probs have to drop Sainsbury's and not serve Wrekenton High Street a bit like the 25 to save time but it might just be about achievable and a Strata* is probs big enough for both services.

Wait 2 is the PVR. I've usually seen 3 tracking
Train8261
26 Feb 2022, 6:24 pm #12

(26 Feb 2022, 5:48 pm)Jimmi An idea I've just had is drop it to hourly and extend it to Concord via Usworth then interwork with the 37 to/from Doxford Park. Probs have to drop Sainsbury's and not serve Wrekenton High Street a bit like the 25 to save time but it might just be about achievable and a Strata* is probs big enough for both services.

Wait 2 is the PVR. I've usually seen 3 tracking

Michael

27 Feb 2022, 9:28 am #13
(26 Feb 2022, 4:17 pm)deanmachine Death knell for the pointless 135/136 then I guess.

Those services are a massive risk, most of the route is covered by a variety of services.

Said the same about the 19 needing a capacity of 60, just daft.
Edited 27 Feb 2022, 9:29 am by Michael.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
27 Feb 2022, 9:28 am #13

(26 Feb 2022, 4:17 pm)deanmachine Death knell for the pointless 135/136 then I guess.

Those services are a massive risk, most of the route is covered by a variety of services.

Said the same about the 19 needing a capacity of 60, just daft.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

cbma06

27 Feb 2022, 10:30 am #14
Does anyone know what’s up for to be secured from commercial services in Sunderland?

cbma06
27 Feb 2022, 10:30 am #14

Does anyone know what’s up for to be secured from commercial services in Sunderland?

N1cholas

27 Feb 2022, 11:51 am #15
135/136 are certain to go, they carry very few passengers who could easily board a stagecoach service, also could this see a rework of the north sunderland services, until details start to appear we could speculate every possibility, the BSIP will be playing a role in streamlining services, could the 35 be curtailed at hylton castle? could stagecoach extend the 4 to boldon from downhill? we have saw how north tyneside has been restructured with the changes so i can not see how sunderland wont be, but with more services to play around with their changes could seem more severe, only time will tell
N1cholas
27 Feb 2022, 11:51 am #15

135/136 are certain to go, they carry very few passengers who could easily board a stagecoach service, also could this see a rework of the north sunderland services, until details start to appear we could speculate every possibility, the BSIP will be playing a role in streamlining services, could the 35 be curtailed at hylton castle? could stagecoach extend the 4 to boldon from downhill? we have saw how north tyneside has been restructured with the changes so i can not see how sunderland wont be, but with more services to play around with their changes could seem more severe, only time will tell

Adrian

27 Feb 2022, 12:01 pm #16
(27 Feb 2022, 11:51 am)N1cholas 135/136 are certain to go, they carry very few passengers who could easily board a stagecoach service,  also could this see a rework of the north sunderland services, until details start to appear we could speculate every possibility, the BSIP will be playing a role in streamlining services, could the 35 be curtailed at hylton castle? could stagecoach extend the 4 to boldon from downhill? we have saw how north tyneside has been restructured with the changes so i can not see how sunderland wont be, but with more services to play around with their changes could seem more severe, only time will tell

Well they could, on the assumption they don't use it to connect to/from another Go North East service?

Fully integrated ticketing needs to be sorted out before we start streamlining (cutting) services on shared corridors, otherwise it's the customer that loses out and it gives them another reason to switch to car.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
27 Feb 2022, 12:01 pm #16

(27 Feb 2022, 11:51 am)N1cholas 135/136 are certain to go, they carry very few passengers who could easily board a stagecoach service,  also could this see a rework of the north sunderland services, until details start to appear we could speculate every possibility, the BSIP will be playing a role in streamlining services, could the 35 be curtailed at hylton castle? could stagecoach extend the 4 to boldon from downhill? we have saw how north tyneside has been restructured with the changes so i can not see how sunderland wont be, but with more services to play around with their changes could seem more severe, only time will tell

Well they could, on the assumption they don't use it to connect to/from another Go North East service?

Fully integrated ticketing needs to be sorted out before we start streamlining (cutting) services on shared corridors, otherwise it's the customer that loses out and it gives them another reason to switch to car.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

Storx

27 Feb 2022, 12:13 pm #17

In fairness the 57A, North Shields to Whitley Bay appears to have survived the changes (there's no change in route registration) which makes as little sense as the 135/136.
Storx
27 Feb 2022, 12:13 pm #17

In fairness the 57A, North Shields to Whitley Bay appears to have survived the changes (there's no change in route registration) which makes as little sense as the 135/136.

Dan

Site Administrator

27 Feb 2022, 12:27 pm #18
(27 Feb 2022, 10:30 am)cbma06 Does anyone know what’s up for to be secured from commercial services in Sunderland?

I’ve purposely asked in my original post that specific details aren’t divulged on this forum just yet, given the sensitivities around some of the commercial bus network changes which may not have yet been discussed internally with staff at the bus operators in question.

Dan
27 Feb 2022, 12:27 pm #18

(27 Feb 2022, 10:30 am)cbma06 Does anyone know what’s up for to be secured from commercial services in Sunderland?

I’ve purposely asked in my original post that specific details aren’t divulged on this forum just yet, given the sensitivities around some of the commercial bus network changes which may not have yet been discussed internally with staff at the bus operators in question.

peter

28 Feb 2022, 1:18 am #19

Interestingly Dan has confirmed on flickr that Nexus have put out a tender for the 135/6 from May
peter
28 Feb 2022, 1:18 am #19

Interestingly Dan has confirmed on flickr that Nexus have put out a tender for the 135/6 from May

Dan

Site Administrator

28 Feb 2022, 5:12 am #20
(28 Feb 2022, 1:18 am)peter Interestingly Dan has confirmed on flickr that Nexus have put out a tender for the 135/6 from May

Not to say it’ll be awarded of course!

Nexus will be working to a set budget and if they can continue to provide the service, I’m sure they will.

If they come in over-budget, they may decide not to award all the contracts as originally intended - so still a while to wait before we know!

Dan
28 Feb 2022, 5:12 am #20

(28 Feb 2022, 1:18 am)peter Interestingly Dan has confirmed on flickr that Nexus have put out a tender for the 135/6 from May

Not to say it’ll be awarded of course!

Nexus will be working to a set budget and if they can continue to provide the service, I’m sure they will.

If they come in over-budget, they may decide not to award all the contracts as originally intended - so still a while to wait before we know!

Pages (3) 1 2 3 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average