Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Nexus Tenders | Sunderland, Washington & Gateshead - May 2022

Nexus Tenders | Sunderland, Washington & Gateshead - May 2022

Nexus Tenders | Sunderland, Washington & Gateshead - May 2022

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (3): Previous 1 2 3 Next
01 Mar 2022, 6:01 am #21
(28 Feb 2022, 1:18 am)peter Interestingly Dan has confirmed on flickr that Nexus have put out a tender for the 135/6 from May

Feels harsh if the people of North Tyneside would lose some of their subsidised services whilst this continued to drive around Sunderland on an evening carrying fresh air. Might just be because it makes me dizzy driving it though.
deanmachine
01 Mar 2022, 6:01 am #21

(28 Feb 2022, 1:18 am)peter Interestingly Dan has confirmed on flickr that Nexus have put out a tender for the 135/6 from May

Feels harsh if the people of North Tyneside would lose some of their subsidised services whilst this continued to drive around Sunderland on an evening carrying fresh air. Might just be because it makes me dizzy driving it though.

Storx

01 Mar 2022, 10:29 am #22
(01 Mar 2022, 6:01 am)deanmachine  

All the councils put money into the Nexus budget, diverting money which is allocated to Sunderland to North Tyneside because of issues there is unfairer imo especially when large chunks of North Tyneside is covered by the Metro unlike a large area of Sunderland/Gateshead.
Storx
01 Mar 2022, 10:29 am #22

(01 Mar 2022, 6:01 am)deanmachine  

All the councils put money into the Nexus budget, diverting money which is allocated to Sunderland to North Tyneside because of issues there is unfairer imo especially when large chunks of North Tyneside is covered by the Metro unlike a large area of Sunderland/Gateshead.

01 Mar 2022, 2:56 pm #23
(01 Mar 2022, 10:29 am)Storx All the councils put money into the Nexus budget, diverting money which is allocated to Sunderland to North Tyneside because of issues there is unfairer imo especially when large chunks of North Tyneside is covered by the Metro unlike a large area of Sunderland/Gateshead.

I wasn't aware it was money allocated for certain areas, just assumed it came out of one big pot. Fair enough then.
deanmachine
01 Mar 2022, 2:56 pm #23

(01 Mar 2022, 10:29 am)Storx All the councils put money into the Nexus budget, diverting money which is allocated to Sunderland to North Tyneside because of issues there is unfairer imo especially when large chunks of North Tyneside is covered by the Metro unlike a large area of Sunderland/Gateshead.

I wasn't aware it was money allocated for certain areas, just assumed it came out of one big pot. Fair enough then.

Storx

01 Mar 2022, 3:04 pm #24
(01 Mar 2022, 2:56 pm)deanmachine I wasn't aware it was money allocated for certain areas, just assumed it came out of one big pot. Fair enough then.

I believe it is all one pot but North Tyneside takes a massive chunk of it already. I know North Tyneside council put extra money in though, 400k I believe, to cover more. 

Just wouldn't seem fair to me if there's a massive pot and North Tyneside got 50% of it plus the Metro whereas somewhere like North Sunderland gets next to nothing (don't believe there's much subsidised up there) and doesn't have the Metro either when Sunderland CC put their share into Nexus.
Storx
01 Mar 2022, 3:04 pm #24

(01 Mar 2022, 2:56 pm)deanmachine I wasn't aware it was money allocated for certain areas, just assumed it came out of one big pot. Fair enough then.

I believe it is all one pot but North Tyneside takes a massive chunk of it already. I know North Tyneside council put extra money in though, 400k I believe, to cover more. 

Just wouldn't seem fair to me if there's a massive pot and North Tyneside got 50% of it plus the Metro whereas somewhere like North Sunderland gets next to nothing (don't believe there's much subsidised up there) and doesn't have the Metro either when Sunderland CC put their share into Nexus.

Adrian

01 Mar 2022, 3:35 pm #25
It's all one pot for Tyne and Wear. Durham and Northumberland still has some delegated responsibilities.

I assume it's the same for Northumberland, but in Durham it is responsibilities that primarily relate to securing socially necessary services, concessionary travel, and ticketing on local bus services.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
01 Mar 2022, 3:35 pm #25

It's all one pot for Tyne and Wear. Durham and Northumberland still has some delegated responsibilities.

I assume it's the same for Northumberland, but in Durham it is responsibilities that primarily relate to securing socially necessary services, concessionary travel, and ticketing on local bus services.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

Michael

01 Mar 2022, 3:46 pm #26
Surprised NEXUS haven't done a consultation for these changes.......

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
01 Mar 2022, 3:46 pm #26

Surprised NEXUS haven't done a consultation for these changes.......

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

01 Mar 2022, 7:58 pm #27
(01 Mar 2022, 3:46 pm)Michael Surprised NEXUS haven't done a consultation for these changes.......
What are the proposed changes or is the information subject to a news embargo?
Economic505
01 Mar 2022, 7:58 pm #27

(01 Mar 2022, 3:46 pm)Michael Surprised NEXUS haven't done a consultation for these changes.......
What are the proposed changes or is the information subject to a news embargo?

busmanT

02 Mar 2022, 7:23 am #28
(01 Mar 2022, 7:58 pm)Economic505 What are the proposed changes or is the information subject to a news embargo?

Allegedly several services are currently out to tender - tender documents are generally only for those registered to receive them, and those companies are subject to a non-disclosure clause.
So we'll only know if Nexus do a consultation, which may not be until after the contracts are awarded, or the services are registered by the successful tenderer.
busmanT
02 Mar 2022, 7:23 am #28

(01 Mar 2022, 7:58 pm)Economic505 What are the proposed changes or is the information subject to a news embargo?

Allegedly several services are currently out to tender - tender documents are generally only for those registered to receive them, and those companies are subject to a non-disclosure clause.
So we'll only know if Nexus do a consultation, which may not be until after the contracts are awarded, or the services are registered by the successful tenderer.

Malarkey

14 Mar 2022, 5:43 pm #29
(25 Feb 2022, 10:20 pm)MurdnunoC 67/69 will almost certainly be contenders too.

67 could be mostly covered by extending the 49/49a beyond Gateshead following the 51/52 route to Carr Hill Road then the 67 route to either the QE or Wardley. The 69 might prove to be a little more problematic as it is more likely be used by people travelling between, say, Whickham and Winlaton, or Whickham and the QE - rather than the entire route.

Perhaps the Whickham to Winlaton section could be lumped in with a revised 643 (Metrocentre - Whickham - Winlaton), or a rejiggle of the R routes?

The NHS Staff for the Q.E. Hospital love parking on Belle Vue Bank/Beaconsfield Road/Chowdene Bank and use the 69/93/94 to/from to the Hospital as I believe it works out cheaper than paying parking charges, otherwise the 69 carries fresh air for the most part.
Malarkey
14 Mar 2022, 5:43 pm #29

(25 Feb 2022, 10:20 pm)MurdnunoC 67/69 will almost certainly be contenders too.

67 could be mostly covered by extending the 49/49a beyond Gateshead following the 51/52 route to Carr Hill Road then the 67 route to either the QE or Wardley. The 69 might prove to be a little more problematic as it is more likely be used by people travelling between, say, Whickham and Winlaton, or Whickham and the QE - rather than the entire route.

Perhaps the Whickham to Winlaton section could be lumped in with a revised 643 (Metrocentre - Whickham - Winlaton), or a rejiggle of the R routes?

The NHS Staff for the Q.E. Hospital love parking on Belle Vue Bank/Beaconsfield Road/Chowdene Bank and use the 69/93/94 to/from to the Hospital as I believe it works out cheaper than paying parking charges, otherwise the 69 carries fresh air for the most part.

Storx

16 Mar 2022, 6:53 pm #30
Just seen these buses have been tendered now with an end date of November, guessing this is because of the Covid extension and it's when it ends roughly.

https://procontract.due-north.com/Advert...5056b64545
Storx
16 Mar 2022, 6:53 pm #30

Just seen these buses have been tendered now with an end date of November, guessing this is because of the Covid extension and it's when it ends roughly.

https://procontract.due-north.com/Advert...5056b64545

cbma06

17 Mar 2022, 8:34 am #31
North East bus cuts 'tsunami' put on hold – but it's too late for Newcastle and North Tyneside routes

A new government funding pledge has given some services a temporary reprieve, but cuts already planned for the end of this month will not be stopped

A “tsunami” of cuts to bus services for most of the North East is on hold for now – but passengers in Newcastle and North Tyneside will not be so lucky.

It has been expected that the region’s bus operators would be making major cutbacks to routes across the area, equating to up to 17% of their mileage, due to a funding crisis amid reduced passenger numbers caused by the pandemic. But many under-threat routes appear to have been given a temporary stay of execution, after a new government funding announcement earlier this month.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...GSl72OtkzA

Does this mean the cuts to Sunderland and Gateshead service won’t be going through until October?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbma06
17 Mar 2022, 8:34 am #31

North East bus cuts 'tsunami' put on hold – but it's too late for Newcastle and North Tyneside routes

A new government funding pledge has given some services a temporary reprieve, but cuts already planned for the end of this month will not be stopped

A “tsunami” of cuts to bus services for most of the North East is on hold for now – but passengers in Newcastle and North Tyneside will not be so lucky.

It has been expected that the region’s bus operators would be making major cutbacks to routes across the area, equating to up to 17% of their mileage, due to a funding crisis amid reduced passenger numbers caused by the pandemic. But many under-threat routes appear to have been given a temporary stay of execution, after a new government funding announcement earlier this month.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...GSl72OtkzA

Does this mean the cuts to Sunderland and Gateshead service won’t be going through until October?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael

17 Mar 2022, 7:10 pm #32
Seen this on the Sunderland echo site:

Expected ‘tsunami’ of bus cuts on hold for now, but North East travel chiefs warn post-pandemic pain is set to continue without more government cash

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/tran...sh-3616431

However can't read it all, as I've hit my limit, so can someone please copy and paste it haha

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
17 Mar 2022, 7:10 pm #32

Seen this on the Sunderland echo site:

Expected ‘tsunami’ of bus cuts on hold for now, but North East travel chiefs warn post-pandemic pain is set to continue without more government cash

However can't read it all, as I've hit my limit, so can someone please copy and paste it haha

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

17 Mar 2022, 8:02 pm #33
(17 Mar 2022, 7:10 pm)Michael Seen this on the Sunderland echo site:

As a journalist myself, I am always willing to help my fellow comrades access the wonders of digital journalism by climbing over the paywall to deliver the news upon request:

Quote:Expected ‘tsunami’ of bus cuts on hold for now, but North East travel chiefs warn post-pandemic pain is set to continue without more government cash

A “tsunami” of cuts to bus services for most of the North East is on hold for now – but passengers in Tyne and Wear are still expected to feel the pinch.

By Daniel Holland
Thursday, 17th March 2022, 5:40 pm

The region’s bus operators had predicted major cutbacks to routes equivalent to almost a fifth of their mileage after the coronavirus pandemic saw passenger numbers and revenue plummet.

But many under-threat routes appear to have won a stay of execution, after transport secretary Grant Shapps confirmed the government would extend emergency Covid grant funding, offering bus and light rail operators in England more than £150 million, propping them up until October.

On Tuesday (March 15), North East leaders were told the extra cash would allow Go North East, Stagecoach, and Arriva to press pause on many proposed expected in May.

Drivers in Washington react to 'ridiculous' rocketing prices at the petrol pumps
But Transport North East managing director Tobyn Hughes warned it was already too late to stop some planned cuts across the region and that passengers should expect significant service reductions come October, as ridership levels struggle to return to pre-Covid rates.

It is feared that the cuts, labelled the biggest change to local bus services for 35 years, will mean fewer early morning or late night services, reduced access to city centres and even see some outlying communities cut off entirely.

Mr Hughes told the North East Joint Transport Committee (JTC): “Having had discussions with local bus operators, we understand that the government announcement has led to local operators putting on hold any further reductions to bus services in the next few months.

“While they have been contemplating some, while the funding has been extended they are putting them on hold.”

The news comes after Greater Manchester mayor Andy Burnham announced plans to cap bus fares in his area at £2 per journey, under a new franchise system that will see new powers handed to local authorities.

South Tyneside councillor Jim Foreman urged the JTC to pursue similar arrangements in the North East as private operators “only answer to one God and that is profit”.

However, any changes are impossible without a new devolution deal for the region.

JTC chair and Gateshead Council leader Martin Gannon warned that without extra resources for public transport there will be a “tsunami of cuts” to bus services.

A message from the editor:
Support our journalism and subscribe to this website to enjoy unlimited access to news, sport, retro, daily puzzles and more online.
With a digital subscription, you can read more than five articles, see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters.
Clifton Hignett III
17 Mar 2022, 8:02 pm #33

(17 Mar 2022, 7:10 pm)Michael Seen this on the Sunderland echo site:

As a journalist myself, I am always willing to help my fellow comrades access the wonders of digital journalism by climbing over the paywall to deliver the news upon request:

Quote:Expected ‘tsunami’ of bus cuts on hold for now, but North East travel chiefs warn post-pandemic pain is set to continue without more government cash

A “tsunami” of cuts to bus services for most of the North East is on hold for now – but passengers in Tyne and Wear are still expected to feel the pinch.

By Daniel Holland
Thursday, 17th March 2022, 5:40 pm

The region’s bus operators had predicted major cutbacks to routes equivalent to almost a fifth of their mileage after the coronavirus pandemic saw passenger numbers and revenue plummet.

But many under-threat routes appear to have won a stay of execution, after transport secretary Grant Shapps confirmed the government would extend emergency Covid grant funding, offering bus and light rail operators in England more than £150 million, propping them up until October.

On Tuesday (March 15), North East leaders were told the extra cash would allow Go North East, Stagecoach, and Arriva to press pause on many proposed expected in May.

Drivers in Washington react to 'ridiculous' rocketing prices at the petrol pumps
But Transport North East managing director Tobyn Hughes warned it was already too late to stop some planned cuts across the region and that passengers should expect significant service reductions come October, as ridership levels struggle to return to pre-Covid rates.

It is feared that the cuts, labelled the biggest change to local bus services for 35 years, will mean fewer early morning or late night services, reduced access to city centres and even see some outlying communities cut off entirely.

Mr Hughes told the North East Joint Transport Committee (JTC): “Having had discussions with local bus operators, we understand that the government announcement has led to local operators putting on hold any further reductions to bus services in the next few months.

“While they have been contemplating some, while the funding has been extended they are putting them on hold.”

The news comes after Greater Manchester mayor Andy Burnham announced plans to cap bus fares in his area at £2 per journey, under a new franchise system that will see new powers handed to local authorities.

South Tyneside councillor Jim Foreman urged the JTC to pursue similar arrangements in the North East as private operators “only answer to one God and that is profit”.

However, any changes are impossible without a new devolution deal for the region.

JTC chair and Gateshead Council leader Martin Gannon warned that without extra resources for public transport there will be a “tsunami of cuts” to bus services.

A message from the editor:
Support our journalism and subscribe to this website to enjoy unlimited access to news, sport, retro, daily puzzles and more online.
With a digital subscription, you can read more than five articles, see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters.

Michael

17 Mar 2022, 8:12 pm #34
(17 Mar 2022, 8:02 pm)Clifton Hignett III As a journalist myself, I am always willing to help my fellow comrades access the wonders of digital journalism by climbing over the paywall to deliver the news upon request:

Thank you!

Interesting, as it looks like the cuts may not be bad as we think or none at all until at least October...

Also, never noticed, someone had already post the information from the chronicle site - my bad!

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
17 Mar 2022, 8:12 pm #34

(17 Mar 2022, 8:02 pm)Clifton Hignett III As a journalist myself, I am always willing to help my fellow comrades access the wonders of digital journalism by climbing over the paywall to deliver the news upon request:

Thank you!

Interesting, as it looks like the cuts may not be bad as we think or none at all until at least October...

Also, never noticed, someone had already post the information from the chronicle site - my bad!

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Michael

27 Mar 2022, 8:28 pm #35
(25 Feb 2022, 6:11 pm)Dan Nexus has today invited operators to tender for services across Sunderland, Washington and Gateshead.

An anticipated decision to award will be made by 30 March 2022, with contracts awarded on 12 April, with contracts commencing from 15 May.

These tenders do include some services which are currently operated by larger operators on a commercial basis, as well as amendments to existing secured services to accommodate some of these changes.

As with the March 2022 tenders, the tender documents which are now available on the e-portal must be treated as private and confidential and a specific line has been included again to instruct that details of the tender document must not be released other than on an ‘In Confidence’ basis to those who have legitimate need to know or whom they need to consult for the purpose of preparing this tender. This is to give operators time to undertake internal communications, so I'd like to ask that we respect that at this stage.

In to the last few days of companies bidding for the contracts...

Are the changes to commercial services still going ahead,(such as NEXUS taking over unprofitable routes) as I'm sure I read the government were continuing to fund bus companies till October 2022.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
27 Mar 2022, 8:28 pm #35

(25 Feb 2022, 6:11 pm)Dan Nexus has today invited operators to tender for services across Sunderland, Washington and Gateshead.

An anticipated decision to award will be made by 30 March 2022, with contracts awarded on 12 April, with contracts commencing from 15 May.

These tenders do include some services which are currently operated by larger operators on a commercial basis, as well as amendments to existing secured services to accommodate some of these changes.

As with the March 2022 tenders, the tender documents which are now available on the e-portal must be treated as private and confidential and a specific line has been included again to instruct that details of the tender document must not be released other than on an ‘In Confidence’ basis to those who have legitimate need to know or whom they need to consult for the purpose of preparing this tender. This is to give operators time to undertake internal communications, so I'd like to ask that we respect that at this stage.

In to the last few days of companies bidding for the contracts...

Are the changes to commercial services still going ahead,(such as NEXUS taking over unprofitable routes) as I'm sure I read the government were continuing to fund bus companies till October 2022.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Michael

09 Apr 2022, 2:03 pm #36
Anyone heard anything about these contracts?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
09 Apr 2022, 2:03 pm #36

Anyone heard anything about these contracts?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Unber43

09 Apr 2022, 2:07 pm #37
What services are up for contracts?
Unber43
09 Apr 2022, 2:07 pm #37

What services are up for contracts?

busmanT

09 Apr 2022, 5:52 pm #38
(09 Apr 2022, 2:07 pm)Unber43 What services are up for contracts?
Only those operators on the Nexus tender list know until 10 days after the results are announced.
busmanT
09 Apr 2022, 5:52 pm #38

(09 Apr 2022, 2:07 pm)Unber43 What services are up for contracts?
Only those operators on the Nexus tender list know until 10 days after the results are announced.

Unber43

09 Apr 2022, 6:39 pm #39
Wonder if GNE will go for 37/73/99
Unber43
09 Apr 2022, 6:39 pm #39

Wonder if GNE will go for 37/73/99

09 Apr 2022, 9:52 pm #40
(09 Apr 2022, 6:39 pm)Unber43 Wonder if GNE will go for 37/73/99
Let’s hope Sne keep the 99. I feel thst services should operate on the old pre deregulation setup. SNE town and suburban routes; GnE , district routes. Perfect system Back then. Bring back United buses too. The old PtE guide of 1985 is a good read.
Economic505
09 Apr 2022, 9:52 pm #40

(09 Apr 2022, 6:39 pm)Unber43 Wonder if GNE will go for 37/73/99
Let’s hope Sne keep the 99. I feel thst services should operate on the old pre deregulation setup. SNE town and suburban routes; GnE , district routes. Perfect system Back then. Bring back United buses too. The old PtE guide of 1985 is a good read.

Pages (3): Previous 1 2 3 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average