Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Nexus Tenders | Miscellaneous Workings - September 2022

Nexus Tenders | Miscellaneous Workings - September 2022

Nexus Tenders | Miscellaneous Workings - September 2022

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Dan

Site Administrator

25 Feb 2022, 6:17 pm #1
Nexus has today invited operators to tender for Miscellaneous Workings (school and works) services.

An anticipated decision to award will be made by 12 May 2022, with contracts awarded on 25 May, with contracts commencing for a two-year period from 29 August 2022 until 30 August 2024.

As always, there are different capacity requirements:
  • Mincap 44
  • Mincap 60
  • Mincap 84
  • Mincap 90

For the first time, these contracts will not be awarded on 100% cost, and Nexus will incentivise operators to provide Euro 5 or greater vehicles, with a 10% quality mark/90% cost weighting. There will also be a contractual requirement to provide contactless-enabled ticket machines on all services.

A huge step in the right direction for these services - clearly contract awards are a long time away yet (three months) but it will be interesting to see how it unfolds this year. Without question this will result in improved quality, not only on these services, but also Metro Replacement services too, where some bus operators currently cannot offer contactless payment methods to customers which is a standard feature on Metro itself.
Dan
25 Feb 2022, 6:17 pm #1

Nexus has today invited operators to tender for Miscellaneous Workings (school and works) services.

An anticipated decision to award will be made by 12 May 2022, with contracts awarded on 25 May, with contracts commencing for a two-year period from 29 August 2022 until 30 August 2024.

• Mincap 44
  • Mincap 60
  • Mincap 84
  • Mincap 90

For the first time, these contracts will not be awarded on 100% cost, and Nexus will incentivise operators to provide Euro 5 or greater vehicles, with a 10% quality mark/90% cost weighting. There will also be a contractual requirement to provide contactless-enabled ticket machines on all services.

A huge step in the right direction for these services - clearly contract awards are a long time away yet (three months) but it will be interesting to see how it unfolds this year. Without question this will result in improved quality, not only on these services, but also Metro Replacement services too, where some bus operators currently cannot offer contactless payment methods to customers which is a standard feature on Metro itself.

Adrian

25 Feb 2022, 6:22 pm #2
Agree its a step in the right direction, but still feels a bit lopsided towards cost.

Also a step in the right direction that it's a multi-year contract.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
25 Feb 2022, 6:22 pm #2

Agree its a step in the right direction, but still feels a bit lopsided towards cost.

25 Feb 2022, 6:23 pm #3
(25 Feb 2022, 6:17 pm)Dan Nexus has today invited operators to tender for Miscellaneous Workings (school and works) services.

• Mincap 44
  • Mincap 60
  • Mincap 84
  • Mincap 90

Is Euro 5 an improvement for these kind of services or are they always this kind of level?  Will it rule out some of the independents decker fleets for example?
stagecoachbusdepot
25 Feb 2022, 6:23 pm #3

(25 Feb 2022, 6:17 pm)Dan Nexus has today invited operators to tender for Miscellaneous Workings (school and works) services.

• Mincap 44
  • Mincap 60
  • Mincap 84
  • Mincap 90

Is Euro 5 an improvement for these kind of services or are they always this kind of level?  Will it rule out some of the independents decker fleets for example?

Dan

Site Administrator

25 Feb 2022, 6:34 pm #4
(25 Feb 2022, 6:22 pm)Adrian Agree its a step in the right direction, but still feels a bit lopsided towards cost.

Agreed - it's understandable given budget pressures that multi-year contracts can't always be offered, but it could incentivise operators to offer a better value price to Nexus.

Clearly some independents will have to upgrade their ticket machines too, which will come at a cost, and if this can be paid for over the cost of a two-year contract, it will offer some better value to Nexus.

(25 Feb 2022, 6:23 pm)stagecoachbusdepot Is Euro 5 an improvement for these kind of services or are they always this kind of level?  Will it rule out some of the independents decker fleets for example?

Most double-deck buses on Nexus Miscellaneous Workings (from all operators) are Euro 4, and most single-deck buses are already Euro 5.

The fact that the minimum requirement is still Euro 4, but Euro 5 is incentivised, means no independent operators are ruled out. Some smaller operators, such as A-line Coaches, already have a full fleet of Euro 5 buses. This allows them to be better equipped to win some of these contracts (with a 10% quality weighting), acknowleding their previous fleet investments. A huge step in the right direction.

Stagecoach usually allocate Euro 5 double-decks to their Nexus Miscellaneous Workings, which puts them at an advantage to possibly win more. I believe all of JH Coaches and Gateshead Central Taxis' double-decks are Euro 4, whilst Go North East has a mix of both.
Dan
25 Feb 2022, 6:34 pm #4

(25 Feb 2022, 6:22 pm)Adrian Agree its a step in the right direction, but still feels a bit lopsided towards cost.

Agreed - it's understandable given budget pressures that multi-year contracts can't always be offered, but it could incentivise operators to offer a better value price to Nexus.

Clearly some independents will have to upgrade their ticket machines too, which will come at a cost, and if this can be paid for over the cost of a two-year contract, it will offer some better value to Nexus.

(25 Feb 2022, 6:23 pm)stagecoachbusdepot Is Euro 5 an improvement for these kind of services or are they always this kind of level?  Will it rule out some of the independents decker fleets for example?

Most double-deck buses on Nexus Miscellaneous Workings (from all operators) are Euro 4, and most single-deck buses are already Euro 5.

The fact that the minimum requirement is still Euro 4, but Euro 5 is incentivised, means no independent operators are ruled out. Some smaller operators, such as A-line Coaches, already have a full fleet of Euro 5 buses. This allows them to be better equipped to win some of these contracts (with a 10% quality weighting), acknowleding their previous fleet investments. A huge step in the right direction.

Stagecoach usually allocate Euro 5 double-decks to their Nexus Miscellaneous Workings, which puts them at an advantage to possibly win more. I believe all of JH Coaches and Gateshead Central Taxis' double-decks are Euro 4, whilst Go North East has a mix of both.

25 Feb 2022, 6:41 pm #5
(25 Feb 2022, 6:34 pm)Dan Most double-deck buses on Nexus Miscellaneous Workings (from all operators) are Euro 4, and most single-deck buses are already Euro 5.

Thanks - misread that initial post around incentivising rather than stipulating Euro 5.  I guess most of Stagecoach deckers will have been converted to Euro 6 by now in readiness for Newcastle CAZ anyway.  Are there any other domains of quality taken into account (like track record of turning up!...  or next stops etc) or just emissions standard?
stagecoachbusdepot
25 Feb 2022, 6:41 pm #5

(25 Feb 2022, 6:34 pm)Dan Most double-deck buses on Nexus Miscellaneous Workings (from all operators) are Euro 4, and most single-deck buses are already Euro 5.

Thanks - misread that initial post around incentivising rather than stipulating Euro 5.  I guess most of Stagecoach deckers will have been converted to Euro 6 by now in readiness for Newcastle CAZ anyway.  Are there any other domains of quality taken into account (like track record of turning up!...  or next stops etc) or just emissions standard?

Dan

Site Administrator

25 Feb 2022, 6:54 pm #6
(25 Feb 2022, 6:41 pm)stagecoachbusdepot Thanks - misread that initial post around incentivising rather than stipulating Euro 5.  I guess most of Stagecoach deckers will have been converted to Euro 6 by now in readiness for Newcastle CAZ anyway.  Are there any other domains of quality taken into account (like track record of turning up!...  or next stops etc) or just emissions standard?

Just emissions standard (Euro 5 or greater) for the 10% quality, but new this year is a stipulation for all buses to have contactless ETMs which in itself is historically a quality factor, but has become stipulated. In my experience a growing number of students use Apple Pay too, so it's a huge improvement that this is now stipulated, but it does mean independents need to invest (Gateshead Central only have a small number of contactless machines, Stanley Travel have around 10 from memory, and the other independents have none).

I'm a huge advocate of next stop announcements being provided, but the cost would far outweigh the benefit for the students that would rely on such a system.
Dan
25 Feb 2022, 6:54 pm #6

(25 Feb 2022, 6:41 pm)stagecoachbusdepot Thanks - misread that initial post around incentivising rather than stipulating Euro 5.  I guess most of Stagecoach deckers will have been converted to Euro 6 by now in readiness for Newcastle CAZ anyway.  Are there any other domains of quality taken into account (like track record of turning up!...  or next stops etc) or just emissions standard?

Just emissions standard (Euro 5 or greater) for the 10% quality, but new this year is a stipulation for all buses to have contactless ETMs which in itself is historically a quality factor, but has become stipulated. In my experience a growing number of students use Apple Pay too, so it's a huge improvement that this is now stipulated, but it does mean independents need to invest (Gateshead Central only have a small number of contactless machines, Stanley Travel have around 10 from memory, and the other independents have none).

I'm a huge advocate of next stop announcements being provided, but the cost would far outweigh the benefit for the students that would rely on such a system.

25 Feb 2022, 10:06 pm #7
Bloody fantastic

I don't mind calling out the appalling the record of GCT not turning up FAILING to use tracker

REFUSING LONES FEMALES to use the bus because they don't have sufficient change which has left my partner at a bus stop and she called me to tell me and was forced to order a taxi who had contactless

(I have emailed GNE about this issue )

Interesting thought though the ridiculous Taxi buses that operate aka TB1 has a contactless payment option as the taxi has a mobile data enabled card reader machine however this will not be acknowledged on a ticket machine
DaveFromUpNorth
25 Feb 2022, 10:06 pm #7

Bloody fantastic

I don't mind calling out the appalling the record of GCT not turning up FAILING to use tracker

REFUSING LONES FEMALES to use the bus because they don't have sufficient change which has left my partner at a bus stop and she called me to tell me and was forced to order a taxi who had contactless

(I have emailed GNE about this issue )

Interesting thought though the ridiculous Taxi buses that operate aka TB1 has a contactless payment option as the taxi has a mobile data enabled card reader machine however this will not be acknowledged on a ticket machine

25 Feb 2022, 10:17 pm #8
Then again will Nexus improve their customer service too!

I complained about service 41 or 41A

(Reason why I contacted GNE so they were aware of the complaint as they run the service too)

Called Nexus who told me on the phone and I will quote for a service not turning up

" did you check social media for updates on the service"

I used very fruitful words and said I don't have social media

I was then given a telephone number for a taxi booking office

Who transfered me to to the bus division with ...elllo...

I rang in the morning I asked if the service will be running tonight as it didn't last night ...em em giz a call back later in tonight or evening if we answer I'll be able to tell ya if its running tonight"

This is a company that gets in excess of £400k a month from tax payer subsidiary to operate Nexus Secured Services

Nexus should insist on Tracking on buses is a must especially for secured services they should also stipulate social media announcements for secured services (GNE are the best in social media issues in T&W)

We also need a contingency plan that If a service is not running due to "Covid" Staff Shortage" that an alternative service even different company or a taxi will operate the route

It's sad to see to run a service its about £35-45 per hour based on an hourly service

The least they can do is put a taxi on or find another operator to assist to run the service!

Sorry for the rant of my honesty and bluntness
DaveFromUpNorth
25 Feb 2022, 10:17 pm #8

Then again will Nexus improve their customer service too!

(Reason why I contacted GNE so they were aware of the complaint as they run the service too)

Called Nexus who told me on the phone and I will quote for a service not turning up

I was then given a telephone number for a taxi booking office

Who transfered me to to the bus division with ...elllo...

I rang in the morning I asked if the service will be running tonight as it didn't last night ...em em giz a call back later in tonight or evening if we answer I'll be able to tell ya if its running tonight"

This is a company that gets in excess of £400k a month from tax payer subsidiary to operate Nexus Secured Services

Nexus should insist on Tracking on buses is a must especially for secured services they should also stipulate social media announcements for secured services (GNE are the best in social media issues in T&W)

We also need a contingency plan that If a service is not running due to "Covid" Staff Shortage" that an alternative service even different company or a taxi will operate the route

It's sad to see to run a service its about £35-45 per hour based on an hourly service

The least they can do is put a taxi on or find another operator to assist to run the service!

26 Feb 2022, 2:17 am #9
(25 Feb 2022, 6:54 pm)Dan I'm a huge advocate of next stop announcements being provided, but the cost would far outweigh the benefit for the students that would rely on such a system.

Are there not any more affordable NSA systems than the ones from the likes of Hanover?

I feel like a very basic system would be popular amongst the independent operators. The hardware requirements for such a system would be relatively low, probably no more than a Raspberry Pi with a GPS module and an LCD display. While I'm no dev, I can't imagine the software side being too complicated either
streetdeckfan
26 Feb 2022, 2:17 am #9

(25 Feb 2022, 6:54 pm)Dan I'm a huge advocate of next stop announcements being provided, but the cost would far outweigh the benefit for the students that would rely on such a system.

Are there not any more affordable NSA systems than the ones from the likes of Hanover?

I feel like a very basic system would be popular amongst the independent operators. The hardware requirements for such a system would be relatively low, probably no more than a Raspberry Pi with a GPS module and an LCD display. While I'm no dev, I can't imagine the software side being too complicated either

Storx

26 Feb 2022, 9:06 am #10
(25 Feb 2022, 10:17 pm)DaveFromUpNorth Then again will Nexus improve their customer service too!

Called Nexus who told me on the phone and I will  quote for a service not turning up

I was then given a telephone  number for a taxi booking office

Who transfered  me to to the bus division with ...elllo...

This is a company that gets in excess of £400k a month from tax payer subsidiary  to operate Nexus Secured Services

Nexus should insist on Tracking on buses is a must especially  for secured services they should also stipulate social media announcements for secured services (GNE are the best in social media issues in T&W)

We also need a contingency plan that If a service is not running  due to "Covid" Staff Shortage" that an alternative service even different  company or a taxi will operate the route

Tracking is law above contracts, all buses should be tracked now. I know GCT is working though - https://bustimes.org/operators/gateshead...s/vehicles

Other dodgy operators *cough PCL Travel or whatever name this week* aren't though.
Storx
26 Feb 2022, 9:06 am #10

(25 Feb 2022, 10:17 pm)DaveFromUpNorth Then again will Nexus improve their customer service too!

Called Nexus who told me on the phone and I will  quote for a service not turning up

I was then given a telephone  number for a taxi booking office

Who transfered  me to to the bus division with ...elllo...

This is a company that gets in excess of £400k a month from tax payer subsidiary  to operate Nexus Secured Services

Nexus should insist on Tracking on buses is a must especially  for secured services they should also stipulate social media announcements for secured services (GNE are the best in social media issues in T&W)

We also need a contingency plan that If a service is not running  due to "Covid" Staff Shortage" that an alternative service even different  company or a taxi will operate the route

Tracking is law above contracts, all buses should be tracked now. I know GCT is working though - https://bustimes.org/operators/gateshead...s/vehicles

Other dodgy operators *cough PCL Travel or whatever name this week* aren't though.

26 Feb 2022, 8:44 pm #11
(26 Feb 2022, 9:06 am)Storx Tracking is law above contracts, all buses should be tracked now. I know GCT is working though - https://bustimes.org/operators/gateshead...s/vehicles

I have 8 emails so far in with Nexus about GCT 
Latest one was a NEXUS secured service that failed to operate the last bus service actually last night!
DaveFromUpNorth
26 Feb 2022, 8:44 pm #11

(26 Feb 2022, 9:06 am)Storx Tracking is law above contracts, all buses should be tracked now. I know GCT is working though - https://bustimes.org/operators/gateshead...s/vehicles

I have 8 emails so far in with Nexus about GCT 
Latest one was a NEXUS secured service that failed to operate the last bus service actually last night!

Storx

26 Feb 2022, 9:31 pm #12
(26 Feb 2022, 8:44 pm)DaveFromUpNorth I have 8 emails so far in with Nexus about GCT 

Ah can't really comment on Nexus support never contacted to them but they're 'customer service advisors' for the Metro are poor and I'll leave it there so wouldn't surprise me everything else is just as bad.
Storx
26 Feb 2022, 9:31 pm #12

(26 Feb 2022, 8:44 pm)DaveFromUpNorth I have 8 emails so far in with Nexus about GCT 

Ah can't really comment on Nexus support never contacted to them but they're 'customer service advisors' for the Metro are poor and I'll leave it there so wouldn't surprise me everything else is just as bad.

26 Feb 2022, 9:34 pm #13
This is the problem with deregulation ( after 36 years and counting). GCT are a taxi company by origin. I don’t trust taxi companies to run a reliable sevice full stop. Cowboys come to mind.
Economic505
26 Feb 2022, 9:34 pm #13

This is the problem with deregulation ( after 36 years and counting). GCT are a taxi company by origin. I don’t trust taxi companies to run a reliable sevice full stop. Cowboys come to mind.

26 Feb 2022, 9:34 pm #14
Economic505
26 Feb 2022, 9:34 pm #14

26 Feb 2022, 9:57 pm #15
Well when a local cllr for a local authority runs a bus service with with a taxi at about £40:per hour without tracking

I also had cllrs of various wards in the same room and I quizzed them and my exact words

It's shocking as a local Councillor with years of experience don't know about bus services that run-through the ward pretending to be a bus and turns out to be a 7 seater taxi!

And we are paying about £40 per hour the TB1 service should of been stopped years ago

It's so much of a route i dont actually know what routes it took over!

Please do read behind the lines

The favourite 31 bus service ?
DaveFromUpNorth
26 Feb 2022, 9:57 pm #15

Well when a local cllr for a local authority runs a bus service with with a taxi at about £40:per hour without tracking

I also had cllrs of various wards in the same room and I quizzed them and my exact words

It's shocking as a local Councillor with years of experience don't know about bus services that run-through the ward pretending to be a bus and turns out to be a 7 seater taxi!

And we are paying about £40 per hour the TB1 service should of been stopped years ago

It's so much of a route i dont actually know what routes it took over!

Please do read behind the lines

The favourite 31 bus service ?

Rob44

04 Mar 2022, 5:32 pm #16
Do any of the bus companies may money from these service. This sound like a stupid question but say they tender it for 100000 for the year and win the tender would they be looking to make it run for say 90k to make 10 k profit. Or would they look at the bottom line of say 90K and say that ther minimum we could run it for and tender at that price hoping to win it? Or would they even tender it and make a loss to maybe dip a toe into another groups area?
Rob44
04 Mar 2022, 5:32 pm #16

Do any of the bus companies may money from these service. This sound like a stupid question but say they tender it for 100000 for the year and win the tender would they be looking to make it run for say 90k to make 10 k profit. Or would they look at the bottom line of say 90K and say that ther minimum we could run it for and tender at that price hoping to win it? Or would they even tender it and make a loss to maybe dip a toe into another groups area?

Adrian

04 Mar 2022, 8:09 pm #17
(04 Mar 2022, 5:32 pm)Rob44 Do any of the bus companies may money from these service.  This sound like a stupid question but say they tender it for 100000 for the year and win the tender would they be looking to make it run for say 90k to make 10 k profit. Or would they look at the bottom line of say 90K and say that ther minimum we could run it for and tender at that price hoping to win it?  Or would they even tender it and make a loss to maybe dip a toe into another groups area?

Looking at some of the winning prices in the past, I am surprised that the winning operator has broken even never mind generating a profit, but I'd be very surprised if operators didn't bid for work with a margin in mind.

That being said, I'd also be surprised if their margin was as high as your example for secured work, but I'd say it's more that it's guaranteed income with very little variance.

Adrian
04 Mar 2022, 8:09 pm #17

(04 Mar 2022, 5:32 pm)Rob44 Do any of the bus companies may money from these service.  This sound like a stupid question but say they tender it for 100000 for the year and win the tender would they be looking to make it run for say 90k to make 10 k profit. Or would they look at the bottom line of say 90K and say that ther minimum we could run it for and tender at that price hoping to win it?  Or would they even tender it and make a loss to maybe dip a toe into another groups area?

Looking at some of the winning prices in the past, I am surprised that the winning operator has broken even never mind generating a profit, but I'd be very surprised if operators didn't bid for work with a margin in mind.

That being said, I'd also be surprised if their margin was as high as your example for secured work, but I'd say it's more that it's guaranteed income with very little variance.

04 Mar 2022, 8:21 pm #18
Well I did analysis

Of the service 8 south hylton to Docks and although the contract includes the 592 or 593 made It difficult to analyse

I worked out rough running based on ONE BUS for the evening and Sunday service it was about 37 hrs running time 30mins to depot each day add 7 hrs is about 43hrs a week for the 8 contract

I worked out to run that bus (mostly empty) it was about £41ph

However interesting to look at TB1 ran by a Taxi

Runs for 45 min then has an hour off and runs for another 45mins

Worked out that scandalous contract cost between £30-40 per day

It runs from Ryhope to the Marina

Its a service that even local councillors never knew operated in their wards

So I would say as a ball point figure it's about £40ph to run a bus per hour
Edited 04 Mar 2022, 8:22 pm by DaveFromUpNorth.
DaveFromUpNorth
04 Mar 2022, 8:21 pm #18

Well I did analysis

Of the service 8 south hylton to Docks and although the contract includes the 592 or 593 made It difficult to analyse

I worked out rough running based on ONE BUS for the evening and Sunday service it was about 37 hrs running time 30mins to depot each day add 7 hrs is about 43hrs a week for the 8 contract

I worked out to run that bus (mostly empty) it was about £41ph

However interesting to look at TB1 ran by a Taxi

Runs for 45 min then has an hour off and runs for another 45mins

Worked out that scandalous contract cost between £30-40 per day

It runs from Ryhope to the Marina

Its a service that even local councillors never knew operated in their wards

So I would say as a ball point figure it's about £40ph to run a bus per hour

04 Mar 2022, 9:01 pm #19
Does it make any difference to operators which operator I purchase a Day Rover from? They should get a good share of the revenue.
OrangeArrow49
04 Mar 2022, 9:01 pm #19

Does it make any difference to operators which operator I purchase a Day Rover from? They should get a good share of the revenue.

Rob44

04 Mar 2022, 10:02 pm #20
(04 Mar 2022, 9:01 pm)OrangeArrow49 Does it make any difference to operators which operator I purchase a Day Rover from? They should get a good share of the revenue.

Say GNE sell 60% of the day rovers and other operator the other 40% does all the fares from the day rovers go into the pot to be divvied out to each operator there share? And how the shares of the pot  shared out? GNE may be the biggest operator ( illegally)  but a ot of there services are down in Durham where a day rover is no good?  Most stage coach service ( except transit) are full in tyne and wear so do they get the most?
Rob44
04 Mar 2022, 10:02 pm #20

(04 Mar 2022, 9:01 pm)OrangeArrow49 Does it make any difference to operators which operator I purchase a Day Rover from? They should get a good share of the revenue.

Say GNE sell 60% of the day rovers and other operator the other 40% does all the fares from the day rovers go into the pot to be divvied out to each operator there share? And how the shares of the pot  shared out? GNE may be the biggest operator ( illegally)  but a ot of there services are down in Durham where a day rover is no good?  Most stage coach service ( except transit) are full in tyne and wear so do they get the most?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average