Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure "Region's Largest Bus Company"

"Region's Largest Bus Company"

"Region's Largest Bus Company"

• 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Storx

28 Feb 2022, 3:04 pm #1
GNE keep peddling this but is it actually true? I can't see how they can possibly be when they're constantly making cuts to their network every few weeks and downsizing time after time. 10 year ago maybe, even before Covid, but now I'd be surprised.

Surely Stagecoach or Arriva are bigger who have services in more areas.
Storx
28 Feb 2022, 3:04 pm #1

GNE keep peddling this but is it actually true? I can't see how they can possibly be when they're constantly making cuts to their network every few weeks and downsizing time after time. 10 year ago maybe, even before Covid, but now I'd be surprised.

Andreos1

28 Feb 2022, 3:07 pm #2
(28 Feb 2022, 3:04 pm)Storx GNE keep peddling this but is it actually true? I can't see how they can possibly be when they're constantly making cuts to their network every few weeks and downsizing time after time. 10 year ago maybe, even before Covid, but now I'd be surprised.

Footprint? Vehicle allocation? Revenue? Profit?
Could be owt really. Quite a claim to make if its not backed up with specifics.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
28 Feb 2022, 3:07 pm #2

(28 Feb 2022, 3:04 pm)Storx GNE keep peddling this but is it actually true? I can't see how they can possibly be when they're constantly making cuts to their network every few weeks and downsizing time after time. 10 year ago maybe, even before Covid, but now I'd be surprised.

Footprint? Vehicle allocation? Revenue? Profit?

Storx

28 Feb 2022, 3:23 pm #3
(28 Feb 2022, 3:07 pm)Andreos1 Footprint? Vehicle allocation? Revenue? Profit?

Well it can't be profit as they do the worst, revenue not sure but believe Stagecoach have that. Arriva definitely have footprint. Vehicle allocation would be interesting though but that obviously depends if were including school buses which imo I wouldn't. It's got to be close now they've pretty much abandoned ship in North Tyneside and cut pretty much everything else.
Storx
28 Feb 2022, 3:23 pm #3

(28 Feb 2022, 3:07 pm)Andreos1 Footprint? Vehicle allocation? Revenue? Profit?

Well it can't be profit as they do the worst, revenue not sure but believe Stagecoach have that. Arriva definitely have footprint. Vehicle allocation would be interesting though but that obviously depends if were including school buses which imo I wouldn't. It's got to be close now they've pretty much abandoned ship in North Tyneside and cut pretty much everything else.

V514DFT

28 Feb 2022, 3:28 pm #4
Cant possibly be true

Kind Regards
Tez
V514DFT
28 Feb 2022, 3:28 pm #4

Cant possibly be true

Kind Regards
Tez

Adrian

28 Feb 2022, 3:41 pm #5
Interesting thread... rejecting the claim, but not exactly backing up the rejection with any kind of evidence to the contrary?

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
28 Feb 2022, 3:41 pm #5

Interesting thread... rejecting the claim, but not exactly backing up the rejection with any kind of evidence to the contrary?

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

citaro5284

28 Feb 2022, 3:47 pm #6
I would suggest PVR is most probably used - do Arriva or Stagecoach still publish some sort of fleet lists?
citaro5284
28 Feb 2022, 3:47 pm #6

I would suggest PVR is most probably used - do Arriva or Stagecoach still publish some sort of fleet lists?

Storx

28 Feb 2022, 3:54 pm #7
(28 Feb 2022, 3:41 pm)Adrian Interesting thread... rejecting the claim, but not exactly backing up the rejection with any kind of evidence to the contrary?

Wouldn't say outright rejecting, more questioning. It's hard to give evidence either way as it's a bit of random fact with little basis. Just curious more than anything.

(28 Feb 2022, 3:47 pm)citaro5284 I would suggest PVR is most probably used - do Arriva or Stagecoach still publish some sort of fleet lists?

Not publically, there's only really the Bustimes but it's not very reliable.
Storx
28 Feb 2022, 3:54 pm #7

(28 Feb 2022, 3:41 pm)Adrian Interesting thread... rejecting the claim, but not exactly backing up the rejection with any kind of evidence to the contrary?

Wouldn't say outright rejecting, more questioning. It's hard to give evidence either way as it's a bit of random fact with little basis. Just curious more than anything.

(28 Feb 2022, 3:47 pm)citaro5284 I would suggest PVR is most probably used - do Arriva or Stagecoach still publish some sort of fleet lists?

Not publically, there's only really the Bustimes but it's not very reliable.

Andreos1

28 Feb 2022, 4:10 pm #8
(28 Feb 2022, 3:23 pm)Storx Well it can't be profit as they do the worst, revenue not sure but believe Stagecoach have that. Arriva definitely have footprint. Vehicle allocation would be interesting though but that obviously depends if were including school buses which imo I wouldn't. It's got to be close now they've pretty much abandoned ship in North Tyneside and cut pretty much everything else.
Started wondering if it was to do with the head office being based in the NE and the company being bigger than other NE based companies, such as JH or GCT.
Then I wondered if the Arriva head office at Doxford would through a spanner in the works with that claim too.

Andreos1
28 Feb 2022, 4:10 pm #8

(28 Feb 2022, 3:23 pm)Storx Well it can't be profit as they do the worst, revenue not sure but believe Stagecoach have that. Arriva definitely have footprint. Vehicle allocation would be interesting though but that obviously depends if were including school buses which imo I wouldn't. It's got to be close now they've pretty much abandoned ship in North Tyneside and cut pretty much everything else.
Started wondering if it was to do with the head office being based in the NE and the company being bigger than other NE based companies, such as JH or GCT.
Then I wondered if the Arriva head office at Doxford would through a spanner in the works with that claim too.

Storx

28 Feb 2022, 4:21 pm #9
(28 Feb 2022, 4:10 pm)Andreos1 Started wondering if it was to do with the head office being based in the NE and the company being bigger than other NE based companies, such as JH or GCT.

Aye could be that, another option if they're using technicalities for it is if I'm right Arriva North East is still split as Arriva North East / Arriva Durham County companies wise and I believe Stagecoach is split between Busways and Cleveland Transit but that would be scraping the barrel.
Storx
28 Feb 2022, 4:21 pm #9

(28 Feb 2022, 4:10 pm)Andreos1 Started wondering if it was to do with the head office being based in the NE and the company being bigger than other NE based companies, such as JH or GCT.

Aye could be that, another option if they're using technicalities for it is if I'm right Arriva North East is still split as Arriva North East / Arriva Durham County companies wise and I believe Stagecoach is split between Busways and Cleveland Transit but that would be scraping the barrel.

28 Feb 2022, 4:33 pm #10
(28 Feb 2022, 3:54 pm)Storx Not publically, there's only really the Bustimes but it's not very reliable.

The Stagecoach fleetcards are usually available on mbonwick's web site not long after issuing.
Ianthegoon
28 Feb 2022, 4:33 pm #10

(28 Feb 2022, 3:54 pm)Storx Not publically, there's only really the Bustimes but it's not very reliable.

The Stagecoach fleetcards are usually available on mbonwick's web site not long after issuing.

28 Feb 2022, 5:42 pm #11
In terms of Fleet size Go North East has always had the biggest fleet.

Arriva and Stagecoach do tend to swap places now and again.

Anyway looking at my lists, bare in mind they aren't quite up to date in terms of vehicle disposals as it's hard to get reliable fleetlists anywhere on a regular basis.

I have the rough fleet sizes as follows....

Go North East - 648
Stagecoach NE - 479
Arriva NE - 475

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Rapidsnap
28 Feb 2022, 5:42 pm #11

In terms of Fleet size Go North East has always had the biggest fleet.

Anyway looking at my lists, bare in mind they aren't quite up to date in terms of vehicle disposals as it's hard to get reliable fleetlists anywhere on a regular basis.

Go North East - 648
Stagecoach NE - 479
Arriva NE - 475

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.

Storx

28 Feb 2022, 6:35 pm #12
(28 Feb 2022, 4:33 pm)Ianthegoon The Stagecoach fleetcards are usually available on mbonwick's web site not long after issuing.

Thanks for that.

(28 Feb 2022, 5:42 pm)Rapidsnap In terms of Fleet size Go North East has always had the biggest fleet.

Go North East - 648
Stagecoach NE - 479
Arriva NE - 475

Thanks, learnt something. Genuinely thought it would've been closer than that especially since GNE have withdrawn a lot of buses lately especially the reserve deckers, NEX Coaches, Solos, Omnicitys and Citaros and quite a chunk of them were never really replaced by anything.

Not surprised at Arriva and SNE being neck and neck though.
Storx
28 Feb 2022, 6:35 pm #12

(28 Feb 2022, 4:33 pm)Ianthegoon The Stagecoach fleetcards are usually available on mbonwick's web site not long after issuing.

Thanks for that.

(28 Feb 2022, 5:42 pm)Rapidsnap In terms of Fleet size Go North East has always had the biggest fleet.

Go North East - 648
Stagecoach NE - 479
Arriva NE - 475

Thanks, learnt something. Genuinely thought it would've been closer than that especially since GNE have withdrawn a lot of buses lately especially the reserve deckers, NEX Coaches, Solos, Omnicitys and Citaros and quite a chunk of them were never really replaced by anything.

Not surprised at Arriva and SNE being neck and neck though.

L469 YVK

28 Feb 2022, 6:54 pm #13
(28 Feb 2022, 4:21 pm)Storx Aye could be that, another option if they're using technicalities for it is if I'm right Arriva North East is still split as Arriva North East / Arriva Durham County companies wise and I believe Stagecoach is split between Busways and Cleveland Transit but that would be scraping the barrel.
Do you mean Arriva Northumbria & Arriva Durham County?

I thought both operations would eventually just fall under the licence of Arriva North East
L469 YVK
28 Feb 2022, 6:54 pm #13

(28 Feb 2022, 4:21 pm)Storx Aye could be that, another option if they're using technicalities for it is if I'm right Arriva North East is still split as Arriva North East / Arriva Durham County companies wise and I believe Stagecoach is split between Busways and Cleveland Transit but that would be scraping the barrel.
Do you mean Arriva Northumbria & Arriva Durham County?

I thought both operations would eventually just fall under the licence of Arriva North East

Chris 1

01 Mar 2022, 12:35 pm #14

I'd always took it as fleet size whenever I've read it.  I'm sure I once read that they were something like the 4th largest private sector employer in the North East, but that was some time ago now and I can't recall where I read it.

Though I suppose being pedantic, you could argue that as EYMS is a subsidiary of Go North East the footprint would also back up that claim.
Chris 1
01 Mar 2022, 12:35 pm #14

I'd always took it as fleet size whenever I've read it.  I'm sure I once read that they were something like the 4th largest private sector employer in the North East, but that was some time ago now and I can't recall where I read it.

Though I suppose being pedantic, you could argue that as EYMS is a subsidiary of Go North East the footprint would also back up that claim.

01 Mar 2022, 1:51 pm #15
(01 Mar 2022, 12:35 pm)Chris 1 Though I suppose being pedantic, you could argue that as EYMS is a subsidiary of Go North East the footprint would also back up that claim.

Then we'd have to add Arriva Yorkshire into the stats as well as they appear to be under common management?
omnicity4659
01 Mar 2022, 1:51 pm #15

(01 Mar 2022, 12:35 pm)Chris 1 Though I suppose being pedantic, you could argue that as EYMS is a subsidiary of Go North East the footprint would also back up that claim.

Then we'd have to add Arriva Yorkshire into the stats as well as they appear to be under common management?

• 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average