Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Gateshead Sunderland Road Bus Link

Gateshead Sunderland Road Bus Link

Gateshead Sunderland Road Bus Link

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (6) Previous 1 2 36 Next
06 Apr 2022, 7:57 pm #21
(06 Apr 2022, 7:30 pm)Adrian Any idea what the state of play is on the High Street these days? Is it on the most-part unoccupied?

I think I read that Gateshead Council were offering settlements to freehold and leaseholders to buy up the property, but unsure how far that went.

They've knocked most of it down! The only thing that's left is a few pubs and kebab shops really. Jackson Street is very empty now too.
deanmachine
06 Apr 2022, 7:57 pm #21

(06 Apr 2022, 7:30 pm)Adrian Any idea what the state of play is on the High Street these days? Is it on the most-part unoccupied?

I think I read that Gateshead Council were offering settlements to freehold and leaseholders to buy up the property, but unsure how far that went.

They've knocked most of it down! The only thing that's left is a few pubs and kebab shops really. Jackson Street is very empty now too.

Adrian

06 Apr 2022, 8:48 pm #22
(06 Apr 2022, 7:57 pm)deanmachine They've knocked most of it down! The only thing that's left is a few pubs and kebab shops really. Jackson Street is very empty now too.

It's that side that I was more referring to - between the Blue Bell pub and the old Park Lane. Last time I passed down there on the bus, it looked like most of the buildings were still standing, but vast majority looked empty.

I think the Blue Bell was retained on the regeneration plans for the High Street, but I think the rest of that row was scheduled for demolition.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
06 Apr 2022, 8:48 pm #22

(06 Apr 2022, 7:57 pm)deanmachine They've knocked most of it down! The only thing that's left is a few pubs and kebab shops really. Jackson Street is very empty now too.

It's that side that I was more referring to - between the Blue Bell pub and the old Park Lane. Last time I passed down there on the bus, it looked like most of the buildings were still standing, but vast majority looked empty.

I think the Blue Bell was retained on the regeneration plans for the High Street, but I think the rest of that row was scheduled for demolition.

07 Apr 2022, 2:45 am #23
(06 Apr 2022, 3:21 pm)ne14ne1 Money from bus lane fines is pumped back into traffic infrastructure, enforcement etc as far as I’m aware, so win win.
It’s basically a stupidity tax to help fund other projects. Big Grin

They need to get a bus lane camera on the Centrelink too. The number of entitled rat runners on there is increasing.

Centrelink doesn't see regular bus services anymore. Should be opened to all traffic to alleviate pressure from Gateshead town centre when travelling from Newcastle towards Dunston/MetroCentre.

It should have been opened to all when the Askew Road was mutilated.
omnicity4659
07 Apr 2022, 2:45 am #23

(06 Apr 2022, 3:21 pm)ne14ne1 Money from bus lane fines is pumped back into traffic infrastructure, enforcement etc as far as I’m aware, so win win.
It’s basically a stupidity tax to help fund other projects. Big Grin

They need to get a bus lane camera on the Centrelink too. The number of entitled rat runners on there is increasing.

Centrelink doesn't see regular bus services anymore. Should be opened to all traffic to alleviate pressure from Gateshead town centre when travelling from Newcastle towards Dunston/MetroCentre.

ne14ne1

07 Apr 2022, 9:09 am #24
(07 Apr 2022, 2:45 am)omnicity4659 Centrelink doesn't see regular bus services anymore. Should be opened to all traffic to alleviate pressure from Gateshead town centre when travelling from Newcastle towards Dunston/MetroCentre.

Once Centrelink reopens fully following the Ochre Yards construction work, eastbound X66s may start using it again. It would certainly avoid morning congestion at the Shell garage by Redheugh Roundabout. 

Once all the apartments at Brett Wharf are built I think it would be good to permanently divert all number 6 services along there for example (both in and outbound), rather than just a couple of morning inbound (10?) services. That way Brett Wharf and the likes of the Copthorne have a decent service up towards Central Station & the city centre, as well as back, plus to Metrocentre & beyond.

I certainly don’t think Centrelink should be opened to all traffic. We don’t want traffic funnelled along the riverside and onto the Swing Bridge & Quaysides.
ne14ne1
07 Apr 2022, 9:09 am #24

(07 Apr 2022, 2:45 am)omnicity4659 Centrelink doesn't see regular bus services anymore. Should be opened to all traffic to alleviate pressure from Gateshead town centre when travelling from Newcastle towards Dunston/MetroCentre.

Once Centrelink reopens fully following the Ochre Yards construction work, eastbound X66s may start using it again. It would certainly avoid morning congestion at the Shell garage by Redheugh Roundabout. 

Once all the apartments at Brett Wharf are built I think it would be good to permanently divert all number 6 services along there for example (both in and outbound), rather than just a couple of morning inbound (10?) services. That way Brett Wharf and the likes of the Copthorne have a decent service up towards Central Station & the city centre, as well as back, plus to Metrocentre & beyond.

I certainly don’t think Centrelink should be opened to all traffic. We don’t want traffic funnelled along the riverside and onto the Swing Bridge & Quaysides.

Storx

07 Apr 2022, 9:19 am #25
(07 Apr 2022, 9:09 am)ne14ne1 Once Centrelink reopens fully following the Ochre Yards construction work, eastbound X66s may start using it again. It would certainly avoid morning congestion at the Shell garage by Redheugh Roundabout. 

Disagree with the 6 like, it's a trip around the world for the people who use it already. The last thing they need is a trip around Gateshead added on for the hell of it.
Storx
07 Apr 2022, 9:19 am #25

(07 Apr 2022, 9:09 am)ne14ne1 Once Centrelink reopens fully following the Ochre Yards construction work, eastbound X66s may start using it again. It would certainly avoid morning congestion at the Shell garage by Redheugh Roundabout. 

Disagree with the 6 like, it's a trip around the world for the people who use it already. The last thing they need is a trip around Gateshead added on for the hell of it.

07 Apr 2022, 9:26 am #26
I'm not sure if the construction work affects Rabbit Banks Road, I've seen council gritters and buses running up there despite the "closure".

I don't think there is a need for a busway for a service running in one direction only every 10 minutes from a shopping centre in decline. GNE have already demonstrated that they can do without the Centrelink, too. If the council redid the Bottle Bank slip road to allow traffic to make a wide turn and merge onto the Tyne Bridge, then the Centrelink would be useful and it wouldn't clog up the Quays, Sage or Swing Bridge. Not funnelling all traffic through Gateshead would ease congestion and is less likely to disrupt buses.
omnicity4659
07 Apr 2022, 9:26 am #26

I'm not sure if the construction work affects Rabbit Banks Road, I've seen council gritters and buses running up there despite the "closure".

I don't think there is a need for a busway for a service running in one direction only every 10 minutes from a shopping centre in decline. GNE have already demonstrated that they can do without the Centrelink, too. If the council redid the Bottle Bank slip road to allow traffic to make a wide turn and merge onto the Tyne Bridge, then the Centrelink would be useful and it wouldn't clog up the Quays, Sage or Swing Bridge. Not funnelling all traffic through Gateshead would ease congestion and is less likely to disrupt buses.

ne14ne1

07 Apr 2022, 9:39 am #27
(07 Apr 2022, 9:19 am)Storx Disagree with the 6 like, it's a trip around the world for the people who use it already. The last thing they need is a trip around Gateshead added on for the hell of it.

Or some 10s or 47s. Something.
ne14ne1
07 Apr 2022, 9:39 am #27

(07 Apr 2022, 9:19 am)Storx Disagree with the 6 like, it's a trip around the world for the people who use it already. The last thing they need is a trip around Gateshead added on for the hell of it.

Or some 10s or 47s. Something.

Adrian

07 Apr 2022, 9:55 am #28

I don't think they will. The flow has gone for east-bound journeys, now that West St is closed to buses. There's now more sets of lights and congestion to go through if using Centrelink than there is entering from Askew Road. A similar problem exists west bound, with Hills St being closed and thus the dedicated bus entry down Bottle Bank.

Perhaps it highlights the daft traffic management in Gateshead town centre, when its quicker to not use the dedicated bus route.

Adrian
07 Apr 2022, 9:55 am #28

I don't think they will. The flow has gone for east-bound journeys, now that West St is closed to buses. There's now more sets of lights and congestion to go through if using Centrelink than there is entering from Askew Road. A similar problem exists west bound, with Hills St being closed and thus the dedicated bus entry down Bottle Bank.

Perhaps it highlights the daft traffic management in Gateshead town centre, when its quicker to not use the dedicated bus route.

ne14ne1

07 Apr 2022, 10:12 am #29
(07 Apr 2022, 9:55 am)Adrian Perhaps it highlights the daft traffic management in Gateshead town centre, when its quicker to not use the dedicated bus route.

Or thinking about it another way, the traffic management changes set out to specifically reduce traffic around Askew Road east & the junction with the Tyne Bridge approach, (plus improvements for pedestrian & cycling movement), have worked so well that the buses no longer need to use the Centrelink up Rabbit Banks Rd anymore as they can use the main highway now thanks only to the reduction in general traffic.

The next head scratcher is prioritising southbound buses (Newcastle to Gateshead Interchange) when the High Level Bridge comes to the end of its life and has to be closed to buses and taxis.
Maybe a topic for another thread.
ne14ne1
07 Apr 2022, 10:12 am #29

(07 Apr 2022, 9:55 am)Adrian Perhaps it highlights the daft traffic management in Gateshead town centre, when its quicker to not use the dedicated bus route.

Or thinking about it another way, the traffic management changes set out to specifically reduce traffic around Askew Road east & the junction with the Tyne Bridge approach, (plus improvements for pedestrian & cycling movement), have worked so well that the buses no longer need to use the Centrelink up Rabbit Banks Rd anymore as they can use the main highway now thanks only to the reduction in general traffic.

The next head scratcher is prioritising southbound buses (Newcastle to Gateshead Interchange) when the High Level Bridge comes to the end of its life and has to be closed to buses and taxis.

Ambassador

07 Apr 2022, 10:45 am #30
(07 Apr 2022, 10:12 am)ne14ne1 The next head scratcher is prioritising southbound buses (Newcastle to Gateshead Interchange) when the High Level Bridge comes to the end of its life and has to be closed to buses and taxis.

There's only 2 real viable options.

Divert over Redheugh (which is already heavily congested) and a potential bus lane along Askew Road towards Gateshead.

Restore the Wellington Street bus link and send traffic over the Tyne Bridge.

Gateshead have made such an utter pigs ear of their road network that its probably going to take a total remodel. They are by far the most wasteful and incompetent of the local authorities - they love a good white elephant (Centrelink, the entire town centre, the bus gate and the Angel Park and Ride)

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
07 Apr 2022, 10:45 am #30

(07 Apr 2022, 10:12 am)ne14ne1 The next head scratcher is prioritising southbound buses (Newcastle to Gateshead Interchange) when the High Level Bridge comes to the end of its life and has to be closed to buses and taxis.

There's only 2 real viable options.

Divert over Redheugh (which is already heavily congested) and a potential bus lane along Askew Road towards Gateshead.

Gateshead have made such an utter pigs ear of their road network that its probably going to take a total remodel. They are by far the most wasteful and incompetent of the local authorities - they love a good white elephant (Centrelink, the entire town centre, the bus gate and the Angel Park and Ride)

Wistfully stuck in the 90s

07 Apr 2022, 11:46 am #31
(07 Apr 2022, 10:45 am)Ambassador There's only 2 real viable options.

I was going to say the swing bridge, but you would need to have the roads on the toon side changed so you could right turn off the close if you wanted services to serve Central Station.

Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/
ASX_Terranova
07 Apr 2022, 11:46 am #31

(07 Apr 2022, 10:45 am)Ambassador There's only 2 real viable options.

I was going to say the swing bridge, but you would need to have the roads on the toon side changed so you could right turn off the close if you wanted services to serve Central Station.

Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/

07 Apr 2022, 12:31 pm #32
(07 Apr 2022, 11:46 am)ASX_Terranova I was going to say the swing bridge, but you would need to have the roads on the toon side changed so you could right turn off the close if you wanted services to serve Central Station.

Could go up Side, Dean Street and then past the cathedral, or run via Forth Street in a single decker.
omnicity4659
07 Apr 2022, 12:31 pm #32

(07 Apr 2022, 11:46 am)ASX_Terranova I was going to say the swing bridge, but you would need to have the roads on the toon side changed so you could right turn off the close if you wanted services to serve Central Station.

Could go up Side, Dean Street and then past the cathedral, or run via Forth Street in a single decker.

ne14ne1

07 Apr 2022, 1:17 pm #33
I reckon when the time comes then a southbound bus lane should be added to the Tyne Bridge, extended from the bus-only slip from the Swan House roundabout (which is likely set for major reconfiguration in future anyway), then Gateshead need to sort some bus priority measures for getting buses from the Tyne Bridge up into the interchange.
The “mega-junction” on the Gateshead side needs seriously simplifying anyway as it takes up too much land and currently causes a huge barrier between the town and Quays.
Having southbound buses heading over the Tyne Bridge could also accommodate bus stops to service the new arena & proposed Gateshead Quays Station which would both only be a few mins walk away.
ne14ne1
07 Apr 2022, 1:17 pm #33

I reckon when the time comes then a southbound bus lane should be added to the Tyne Bridge, extended from the bus-only slip from the Swan House roundabout (which is likely set for major reconfiguration in future anyway), then Gateshead need to sort some bus priority measures for getting buses from the Tyne Bridge up into the interchange.
The “mega-junction” on the Gateshead side needs seriously simplifying anyway as it takes up too much land and currently causes a huge barrier between the town and Quays.
Having southbound buses heading over the Tyne Bridge could also accommodate bus stops to service the new arena & proposed Gateshead Quays Station which would both only be a few mins walk away.

BusLoverMum

07 Apr 2022, 10:48 pm #34
Maybe the people who didn't know what a bus gate is (for those travelling into Durham, that lane by Greggs in Fram is one) had this in mind Big Grin https://www.reddit.com/r/mildlyinteresti...ndroid_app&utm_source=share

Gateshead needs to invest in road signs, outside the town (is it still a metropolitan Borough) centre so drivers from elsewhere don't end up doing ridiculous loops to avoid getting snarled up in the bus lanes.
BusLoverMum
07 Apr 2022, 10:48 pm #34

Maybe the people who didn't know what a bus gate is (for those travelling into Durham, that lane by Greggs in Fram is one) had this in mind Big Grin https://www.reddit.com/r/mildlyinteresti...ndroid_app&utm_source=share

Gateshead needs to invest in road signs, outside the town (is it still a metropolitan Borough) centre so drivers from elsewhere don't end up doing ridiculous loops to avoid getting snarled up in the bus lanes.

08 Apr 2022, 6:10 am #35
(07 Apr 2022, 10:48 pm)BusLoverMum Maybe the people who didn't know what a bus gate is (for those travelling into Durham,  that lane by Greggs in Fram is one) had this in mind Big Grin https://www.reddit.com/r/mildlyinteresti...ndroid_app&utm_source=share

More chance of them not pissing money up the walls on pointless schemes than them investing in something useful.

A lot of signage in and around the town centre is illegal and non-prescribed. Plenty of unenforceable bus lanes or road closures because of it, but obviously they make sure they do it by the book when there's a camera watching over it...

There's an apparent anti-car agenda from the council which is doing nothing but damaging the borough. The public transport network has failed, they continuously close major car parks popular with visitors, introduce charges/permits to others...and then the absurd changes to the already at capacity road network.
omnicity4659
08 Apr 2022, 6:10 am #35

(07 Apr 2022, 10:48 pm)BusLoverMum Maybe the people who didn't know what a bus gate is (for those travelling into Durham,  that lane by Greggs in Fram is one) had this in mind Big Grin https://www.reddit.com/r/mildlyinteresti...ndroid_app&utm_source=share

More chance of them not pissing money up the walls on pointless schemes than them investing in something useful.

A lot of signage in and around the town centre is illegal and non-prescribed. Plenty of unenforceable bus lanes or road closures because of it, but obviously they make sure they do it by the book when there's a camera watching over it...

There's an apparent anti-car agenda from the council which is doing nothing but damaging the borough. The public transport network has failed, they continuously close major car parks popular with visitors, introduce charges/permits to others...and then the absurd changes to the already at capacity road network.

ne14ne1

08 Apr 2022, 7:05 am #36
(08 Apr 2022, 6:10 am)omnicity4659 There's an apparent anti-car agenda from the council which is doing nothing but damaging the borough. The public transport network has failed, they continuously close major car parks popular with visitors, introduce charges/permits to others...and then the absurd changes to the already at capacity road network.

You must be living under a rock if you think these things are unique to Gateshead or indeed the North East.

Its not the 60’s anymore where car is king. Sustainable and public transport is being prioritised now in cities nationwide. We have a health and climate emergency to address. 
Do you want to explain to your kids and grandkids what changes were made to improve our & their future one day or admit we sat back spinning the old anti-car agenda line.
ne14ne1
08 Apr 2022, 7:05 am #36

(08 Apr 2022, 6:10 am)omnicity4659 There's an apparent anti-car agenda from the council which is doing nothing but damaging the borough. The public transport network has failed, they continuously close major car parks popular with visitors, introduce charges/permits to others...and then the absurd changes to the already at capacity road network.

You must be living under a rock if you think these things are unique to Gateshead or indeed the North East.

Its not the 60’s anymore where car is king. Sustainable and public transport is being prioritised now in cities nationwide. We have a health and climate emergency to address. 
Do you want to explain to your kids and grandkids what changes were made to improve our & their future one day or admit we sat back spinning the old anti-car agenda line.

08 Apr 2022, 8:58 am #37
(08 Apr 2022, 7:05 am)ne14ne1 You must be living under a rock if you think these things are unique to Gateshead or indeed the North East.

A failed public transport network is being prioritised over the 70+% of those who choose to drive instead. It may work elsewhere but it doesn't work here because of the lack of decent services.

It's all well and good having a bus lane that lets 5 people get there 10 minutes before everyone else, but what about the other 100 people in that queue who couldn't get on that bus because it's too expensive, they didn't know it was going to turn up...or doesn't even run from where they live!

Within city centres, e-scooter and bike hire schemes meet people's needs if they can afford it.

Park and rides work if there's actually a decent level of service provision, there's no unnecessary costs to the customer and it's accessible. We have multiple park and rides for Newcastle that aren't properly promoted, are half-arsed or cost more than driving all the way, yet those making the decisions want more?!
omnicity4659
08 Apr 2022, 8:58 am #37

(08 Apr 2022, 7:05 am)ne14ne1 You must be living under a rock if you think these things are unique to Gateshead or indeed the North East.

A failed public transport network is being prioritised over the 70+% of those who choose to drive instead. It may work elsewhere but it doesn't work here because of the lack of decent services.

It's all well and good having a bus lane that lets 5 people get there 10 minutes before everyone else, but what about the other 100 people in that queue who couldn't get on that bus because it's too expensive, they didn't know it was going to turn up...or doesn't even run from where they live!

Within city centres, e-scooter and bike hire schemes meet people's needs if they can afford it.

Park and rides work if there's actually a decent level of service provision, there's no unnecessary costs to the customer and it's accessible. We have multiple park and rides for Newcastle that aren't properly promoted, are half-arsed or cost more than driving all the way, yet those making the decisions want more?!

Storx

08 Apr 2022, 9:55 am #38
(08 Apr 2022, 8:58 am)omnicity4659 A failed public transport network is being prioritised over the 70+% of those who choose to drive instead. It may work elsewhere but it doesn't work here because of the lack of decent services.

The biggest problem with the Tyne Bridge traffic is it seems that no-one has actually bothered to see where the traffic is going. 

You could put a P&R every 0.5 mile going to Newcastle and Gateshead. The catch-22 is the majority of the traffic going over the Tyne Bridge is likely to be travelling from the likes of Byker, Wallsend and Walker towards the Metro Centre and Team Valley or alternatively from Bensham, Saltwell, Teams towards Cobalt and Quorum.

Theres absolutely no alternative for those people unless they want to change buses twice or take a 10 mile diversion including a £1.70 toll at the tunnel. 

Agreed with your comments that Gateshead are clueless 100%. 

Money aside we badly need a new bridge along the line of the never built Friars Goose Crossing but we're more arsed about spending it on fantasy Consett lines and car parks in Newcastle and Gateshead which is ironic.
Edited 08 Apr 2022, 9:56 am by Storx.
Storx
08 Apr 2022, 9:55 am #38

(08 Apr 2022, 8:58 am)omnicity4659 A failed public transport network is being prioritised over the 70+% of those who choose to drive instead. It may work elsewhere but it doesn't work here because of the lack of decent services.

The biggest problem with the Tyne Bridge traffic is it seems that no-one has actually bothered to see where the traffic is going. 

You could put a P&R every 0.5 mile going to Newcastle and Gateshead. The catch-22 is the majority of the traffic going over the Tyne Bridge is likely to be travelling from the likes of Byker, Wallsend and Walker towards the Metro Centre and Team Valley or alternatively from Bensham, Saltwell, Teams towards Cobalt and Quorum.

Theres absolutely no alternative for those people unless they want to change buses twice or take a 10 mile diversion including a £1.70 toll at the tunnel. 

Agreed with your comments that Gateshead are clueless 100%. 

Money aside we badly need a new bridge along the line of the never built Friars Goose Crossing but we're more arsed about spending it on fantasy Consett lines and car parks in Newcastle and Gateshead which is ironic.

ne14ne1

08 Apr 2022, 10:51 am #39

So you’re saying prioritise those rich enough to have a car?
What about the many areas of low income where people cannot afford to buy a car, tax and insure it, fuel it and park it, and therefore have no option but to use public transport. 

Where you getting your figures from too?
ne14ne1
08 Apr 2022, 10:51 am #39

So you’re saying prioritise those rich enough to have a car?
What about the many areas of low income where people cannot afford to buy a car, tax and insure it, fuel it and park it, and therefore have no option but to use public transport. 

Where you getting your figures from too?

08 Apr 2022, 11:00 am #40
IMO, unless there's services using a road with a combined frequency of <5 minutes, there shouldn't be a bus lane. All they do is reduce the amount of lanes available, causing more traffic and more emissions.
streetdeckfan
08 Apr 2022, 11:00 am #40

IMO, unless there's services using a road with a combined frequency of <5 minutes, there shouldn't be a bus lane. All they do is reduce the amount of lanes available, causing more traffic and more emissions.

Pages (6) Previous 1 2 36 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average