Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Gateshead Sunderland Road Bus Link

Gateshead Sunderland Road Bus Link

Gateshead Sunderland Road Bus Link

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (6): Previous 14 5 6 Next
MurdnunoC

19 Apr 2022, 1:02 pm #81
(18 Apr 2022, 1:43 pm)Andreos1 I'm sure they knew exactly what would happen when the biggest shopping centre in Europe was being built and the numbers of people it would attract though. Ditto with the Garden Festival in 1990 and the supposed investment that was going to bring.
Coupled with the planning for places like Retail World and the growth, improvements and development of links to the airport (metro and A696) in the same time frame. 

To not factor that in, but plan for another bypass of the bypass a few years later (will see if I can find a link for that) maybe shows how limited the plans were.

Edit:

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threads/b...0.1248441/

Just found this in skyscraper city.

Double edit: reference to the bypass for the western bypass in here https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/forum/vie...php?t=1856&start=40 West via Dunston and out via Whickham.

An opportunity to post some newspaper articles that I found in Newcastle Central Library relating to the realignment of the A167/A1 (then A69) Junction at Eighton Lodge.

.jpg
20220419_132843.jpg
Size: 1.76 MB / Downloads: 37

And of the proposed  Gateshead Western By-Pass By-Pass which was mooted a lot later than I remember (I thought it was '87ish, before the Newcastle Western By-Pass was constructed).

.jpg
20220419_135238.jpg
Size: 4.91 MB / Downloads: 29

.jpg
20220419_135504.jpg
Size: 2.13 MB / Downloads: 26
MurdnunoC
19 Apr 2022, 1:02 pm #81

(18 Apr 2022, 1:43 pm)Andreos1 I'm sure they knew exactly what would happen when the biggest shopping centre in Europe was being built and the numbers of people it would attract though. Ditto with the Garden Festival in 1990 and the supposed investment that was going to bring.
Coupled with the planning for places like Retail World and the growth, improvements and development of links to the airport (metro and A696) in the same time frame. 

To not factor that in, but plan for another bypass of the bypass a few years later (will see if I can find a link for that) maybe shows how limited the plans were.

Edit:

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threads/b...0.1248441/

Just found this in skyscraper city.

Double edit: reference to the bypass for the western bypass in here https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/forum/vie...php?t=1856&start=40 West via Dunston and out via Whickham.

An opportunity to post some newspaper articles that I found in Newcastle Central Library relating to the realignment of the A167/A1 (then A69) Junction at Eighton Lodge.

.jpg
20220419_132843.jpg
Size: 1.76 MB / Downloads: 37

And of the proposed  Gateshead Western By-Pass By-Pass which was mooted a lot later than I remember (I thought it was '87ish, before the Newcastle Western By-Pass was constructed).

.jpg
20220419_135238.jpg
Size: 4.91 MB / Downloads: 29

.jpg
20220419_135504.jpg
Size: 2.13 MB / Downloads: 26

citaro5284

19 Apr 2022, 1:07 pm #82
27 should start be using the bus link from tomorrow.
citaro5284
19 Apr 2022, 1:07 pm #82

27 should start be using the bus link from tomorrow.

Andreos1

19 Apr 2022, 1:20 pm #83
(19 Apr 2022, 1:02 pm)MurdnunoC An opportunity to post some newspaper articles that I found in Newcastle Central Library relating to the realignment of the A167/A1 (then A69) Junction at Eighton Lodge.

Cheers. That old A69 junction at The Angel was a lot different to how I remembered it. Trying to picture its positioning now versus the current road layout. 

And yeah, I remember the bypass for the bypass being mooted in the early 90s. Only a handful of years since the realignment of the A1 was completed.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
19 Apr 2022, 1:20 pm #83

(19 Apr 2022, 1:02 pm)MurdnunoC An opportunity to post some newspaper articles that I found in Newcastle Central Library relating to the realignment of the A167/A1 (then A69) Junction at Eighton Lodge.

Cheers. That old A69 junction at The Angel was a lot different to how I remembered it. Trying to picture its positioning now versus the current road layout. 

And yeah, I remember the bypass for the bypass being mooted in the early 90s. Only a handful of years since the realignment of the A1 was completed.

Unber43

19 Apr 2022, 1:40 pm #84
(19 Apr 2022, 1:07 pm)citaro5284 27 should start be using the bus link from tomorrow.
I think the 27 is already using it
Unber43
19 Apr 2022, 1:40 pm #84

(19 Apr 2022, 1:07 pm)citaro5284 27 should start be using the bus link from tomorrow.
I think the 27 is already using it

Ambassador

19 Apr 2022, 3:35 pm #85
(19 Apr 2022, 1:20 pm)Andreos1 Cheers. That old A69 junction at The Angel was a lot different to how I remembered it. Trying to picture its positioning now versus the current road layout. 

I think part of the old alignment is still there as you come down Newcastle Bank next to the farmers field. There's currently a 'Equestrian Transfer Point' sign sitting there

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
Ambassador
19 Apr 2022, 3:35 pm #85

(19 Apr 2022, 1:20 pm)Andreos1 Cheers. That old A69 junction at The Angel was a lot different to how I remembered it. Trying to picture its positioning now versus the current road layout. 

I think part of the old alignment is still there as you come down Newcastle Bank next to the farmers field. There's currently a 'Equestrian Transfer Point' sign sitting there

Wistfully stuck in the 90s

Rob44

27 Apr 2022, 12:01 pm #86
isnt it time that the buses coming down old durham road used this bus gate too? I'm assuming they can go straight on at the "skate board" round a bout then take a left onto the bus gate and a right onto the high street? They wouldn't miss and stops but would miss out the junction of the civic centre and Matalan? On 58 last night which was running late. Lights were on red with 4 buses ahead and took ages to get around the corner due to loads of traffic coming from passed the glouster pub. Obviously the 28 and x1 would still used this route as they go straight on at lights?
Rob44
27 Apr 2022, 12:01 pm #86

isnt it time that the buses coming down old durham road used this bus gate too? I'm assuming they can go straight on at the "skate board" round a bout then take a left onto the bus gate and a right onto the high street? They wouldn't miss and stops but would miss out the junction of the civic centre and Matalan? On 58 last night which was running late. Lights were on red with 4 buses ahead and took ages to get around the corner due to loads of traffic coming from passed the glouster pub. Obviously the 28 and x1 would still used this route as they go straight on at lights?

27 Apr 2022, 2:03 pm #87
No, any buses wishing to use the bus gate would need to drive past the old GNE depot, there's no curvature in the junction to allow turns to/from the A167 underpass.
omnicity4659
27 Apr 2022, 2:03 pm #87

No, any buses wishing to use the bus gate would need to drive past the old GNE depot, there's no curvature in the junction to allow turns to/from the A167 underpass.

F114TML

27 Apr 2022, 2:50 pm #88
Yeah, they'd have to take this route by the looks of things
[Image: unknown.png]
Looks like 6-and-2-3s going onto to Old Durham Road and a longer route coming off it, unless they make one side of the roundabout 2-way for buses.
F114TML
27 Apr 2022, 2:50 pm #88

Yeah, they'd have to take this route by the looks of things
[Image: unknown.png]
Looks like 6-and-2-3s going onto to Old Durham Road and a longer route coming off it, unless they make one side of the roundabout 2-way for buses.

Rob44

27 Apr 2022, 2:59 pm #89
(27 Apr 2022, 2:03 pm)omnicity4659 No, any buses wishing to use the bus gate would need to drive past the old GNE depot, there's no curvature in the junction to allow turns to/from the A167 underpass.

ah right. wasn't sure if they could do that left turn or not so thanks for the info.  Those lights at Matlan need sorting though .... maybe a right filter for the buses to get on the highstreet rather than having to wait for a gap in oncoming traffic or going through on red
Rob44
27 Apr 2022, 2:59 pm #89

(27 Apr 2022, 2:03 pm)omnicity4659 No, any buses wishing to use the bus gate would need to drive past the old GNE depot, there's no curvature in the junction to allow turns to/from the A167 underpass.

ah right. wasn't sure if they could do that left turn or not so thanks for the info.  Those lights at Matlan need sorting though .... maybe a right filter for the buses to get on the highstreet rather than having to wait for a gap in oncoming traffic or going through on red

28 Apr 2022, 12:34 pm #90
I was on the X24 yesterday and it went via this 'new' bus gate. It did speed up the journey (or felt like it at least) and the X24 was able to pull up at Gateshead High Street 2 mins early, so this would be good for catching up with timings if they didn't change.
logidoodah
28 Apr 2022, 12:34 pm #90

I was on the X24 yesterday and it went via this 'new' bus gate. It did speed up the journey (or felt like it at least) and the X24 was able to pull up at Gateshead High Street 2 mins early, so this would be good for catching up with timings if they didn't change.

ne14ne1

24 Jun 2022, 5:27 pm #92
After using this for a few months now, I've got to admit, I'm impressed at Gateshead Councils incompetence with this bus link. They've made it slightly faster for 4 buses an hour, whilst every other bus using Gatshead High Street now has to wait at a red light that doesn't automatically trigger when nothing is using Sunderland Road.

Fantastic work on bus priority, fantastic. /s
deanmachine
24 Jun 2022, 5:27 pm #92

After using this for a few months now, I've got to admit, I'm impressed at Gateshead Councils incompetence with this bus link. They've made it slightly faster for 4 buses an hour, whilst every other bus using Gatshead High Street now has to wait at a red light that doesn't automatically trigger when nothing is using Sunderland Road.

Unber43

24 Jun 2022, 5:57 pm #93
(24 Jun 2022, 5:27 pm)deanmachine After using this for a few months now, I've got to admit, I'm impressed at Gateshead Councils incompetence with this bus link. They've made it slightly faster for 4 buses an hour, whilst every other bus using Gatshead High Street now has to wait at a red light that doesn't automatically trigger when nothing is using Sunderland Road.

but its 5 buses per hour.....which makes the how many millions worth it /s
Unber43
24 Jun 2022, 5:57 pm #93

(24 Jun 2022, 5:27 pm)deanmachine After using this for a few months now, I've got to admit, I'm impressed at Gateshead Councils incompetence with this bus link. They've made it slightly faster for 4 buses an hour, whilst every other bus using Gatshead High Street now has to wait at a red light that doesn't automatically trigger when nothing is using Sunderland Road.

but its 5 buses per hour.....which makes the how many millions worth it /s

ne14ne1

24 Jun 2022, 7:24 pm #94

Sounds like a simple traffic signals fault. 
Wonder if anyone has reported it…. 

https://envirocall.newcastle.gov.uk/TrafficSignals
ne14ne1
24 Jun 2022, 7:24 pm #94

Sounds like a simple traffic signals fault. 

24 Jun 2022, 9:55 pm #95
(24 Jun 2022, 7:24 pm)ne14ne1 Sounds like a simple traffic signals fault. 

I've just reported it now, see what happens. Had similar problems with the traffic lights at Carley Road/Southwick Road bus link in Sunderland, that doesn't detect buses waiting at the lights heading towards Southwick. That has been reported plenty but nothing has been done about it.
deanmachine
24 Jun 2022, 9:55 pm #95

(24 Jun 2022, 7:24 pm)ne14ne1 Sounds like a simple traffic signals fault. 

I've just reported it now, see what happens. Had similar problems with the traffic lights at Carley Road/Southwick Road bus link in Sunderland, that doesn't detect buses waiting at the lights heading towards Southwick. That has been reported plenty but nothing has been done about it.

Rob44

19 Dec 2022, 1:11 pm #96
wonder if the bus link will remain if this happens

https://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/2022-...and-biking
Rob44
19 Dec 2022, 1:11 pm #96

wonder if the bus link will remain if this happens

Andreos1

19 Dec 2022, 1:28 pm #97
(19 Dec 2022, 1:11 pm)Rob44 wonder if the bus link will remain if this happens

I've heard the flyover is on its last legs.
This is just a nice excuse to get rid and not replace.

But knowing Gateshead Council, the tree line boulevard will be nothing but a load of white paint thrown around with wild abandon for a few weeks.
With a second lot thrown around to redesign the road not long after.

Andreos1
19 Dec 2022, 1:28 pm #97

(19 Dec 2022, 1:11 pm)Rob44 wonder if the bus link will remain if this happens

I've heard the flyover is on its last legs.
This is just a nice excuse to get rid and not replace.

But knowing Gateshead Council, the tree line boulevard will be nothing but a load of white paint thrown around with wild abandon for a few weeks.
With a second lot thrown around to redesign the road not long after.

Storx

19 Dec 2022, 2:29 pm #98
Wonder what bad news is coming out this week. Gannon has a tendancy to announce good things to try and cover up bad things.

The last time there was one of these announcements the leisure centre closure came out oddly a few days later and it's not the first time. 2
Storx
19 Dec 2022, 2:29 pm #98

Wonder what bad news is coming out this week. Gannon has a tendancy to announce good things to try and cover up bad things.

The last time there was one of these announcements the leisure centre closure came out oddly a few days later and it's not the first time. 2

Adrian

19 Dec 2022, 4:20 pm #99
Its not really much of an announcement, is it? The so-called Gateshead boulevard has been part of their masterplan for ages, and as Andreos1 suggests, is just a nice excuse to get rid of something that needs removing/replacing anyway.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
19 Dec 2022, 4:20 pm #99

Its not really much of an announcement, is it? The so-called Gateshead boulevard has been part of their masterplan for ages, and as Andreos1 suggests, is just a nice excuse to get rid of something that needs removing/replacing anyway.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

Storx

19 Dec 2022, 6:09 pm #100
(19 Dec 2022, 4:20 pm)Adrian Its not really much of an announcement, is it? The so-called Gateshead boulevard has been part of their masterplan for ages, and as Andreos1 suggests, is just a nice excuse to get rid of something that needs removing/replacing anyway.

"ambitious £500m plans" is quite an announcement to me. There's much more to it than just the boulevard. Most of it belonging in fantasy land especially the cycle highway from Carlisle to Newcastle. Who knows could spend the money on trains which aren't from the 80's which could erm take cycles aswell but yeah.

Anyone wanting to do that is very likely be doing the C2C as there's not exactly much commuter sense to it unless you really are barking mad especially from Greenhead to Brampton.
Storx
19 Dec 2022, 6:09 pm #100

(19 Dec 2022, 4:20 pm)Adrian Its not really much of an announcement, is it? The so-called Gateshead boulevard has been part of their masterplan for ages, and as Andreos1 suggests, is just a nice excuse to get rid of something that needs removing/replacing anyway.

"ambitious £500m plans" is quite an announcement to me. There's much more to it than just the boulevard. Most of it belonging in fantasy land especially the cycle highway from Carlisle to Newcastle. Who knows could spend the money on trains which aren't from the 80's which could erm take cycles aswell but yeah.

Anyone wanting to do that is very likely be doing the C2C as there's not exactly much commuter sense to it unless you really are barking mad especially from Greenhead to Brampton.

Pages (6): Previous 14 5 6 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average