Menu

North East Buses The Canteen General off-topic chat Electric vehicle car hire launches in County Durham

Electric vehicle car hire launches in County Durham

Electric vehicle car hire launches in County Durham

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Adrian

16 Apr 2022, 1:24 pm #1
Saw this being advertised on Facebook earlier: https://www.durham.gov.uk/article/27327/...nty-Durham

Quote:"The car club has three fully electric cars available to borrow, which residents can hire for an hour up to a full day.

"It costs £5 a month to join the scheme and the hire rate is £4 per hour for the first three hours, then £3 for every hour after that, or £30 to hire the car for a day. There is no geographical limit as to who can join the scheme.

"Volunteer drivers from the club are also available to use the car to take people to hospital appointments."

The hire rates are a lot cheaper than Co-Wheels standard product. Even with the Flexility partnership, it's still going to work out cheaper for the occasional user, as you're not tied into having a season ticket for your free membership to the car club. Though the vehicle availability is likely to be trickier to find!

I found the quote from the Councillor on the DCC article interesting, and I bet he'd struggle to evidence the claim: "Every car club vehicle can remove up to 20 non-electric cars off the road and will create a new option for residents who are looking to switch to greener modes of transport."

It also completely ignores the role of the bus and the upgrades those corridors have seen over the past couple of years.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
16 Apr 2022, 1:24 pm #1

Saw this being advertised on Facebook earlier: https://www.durham.gov.uk/article/27327/...nty-Durham

Quote:"The car club has three fully electric cars available to borrow, which residents can hire for an hour up to a full day.

"It costs £5 a month to join the scheme and the hire rate is £4 per hour for the first three hours, then £3 for every hour after that, or £30 to hire the car for a day. There is no geographical limit as to who can join the scheme.

"Volunteer drivers from the club are also available to use the car to take people to hospital appointments."

The hire rates are a lot cheaper than Co-Wheels standard product. Even with the Flexility partnership, it's still going to work out cheaper for the occasional user, as you're not tied into having a season ticket for your free membership to the car club. Though the vehicle availability is likely to be trickier to find!

I found the quote from the Councillor on the DCC article interesting, and I bet he'd struggle to evidence the claim: "Every car club vehicle can remove up to 20 non-electric cars off the road and will create a new option for residents who are looking to switch to greener modes of transport."

It also completely ignores the role of the bus and the upgrades those corridors have seen over the past couple of years.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

Unber43

16 Apr 2022, 6:59 pm #2
(16 Apr 2022, 1:24 pm)Adrian It also completely ignores the role of the bus and the upgrades those corridors have seen over the past couple of years.
If you aren't using the buses in Consett now, you are never going to imo. 

However the X45/46 going down to every 20 mins imo was not a good move
Unber43
16 Apr 2022, 6:59 pm #2

(16 Apr 2022, 1:24 pm)Adrian It also completely ignores the role of the bus and the upgrades those corridors have seen over the past couple of years.
If you aren't using the buses in Consett now, you are never going to imo. 

However the X45/46 going down to every 20 mins imo was not a good move

Andreos1

16 Apr 2022, 7:41 pm #3
(16 Apr 2022, 1:24 pm)Adrian Saw this being advertised on Facebook earlier: https://www.durham.gov.uk/article/27327/...nty-Durham

As usual, so many flaws and obvious gaps in an operation that could really step up and fill gaps.

The potential is there.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
16 Apr 2022, 7:41 pm #3

(16 Apr 2022, 1:24 pm)Adrian Saw this being advertised on Facebook earlier: https://www.durham.gov.uk/article/27327/...nty-Durham

As usual, so many flaws and obvious gaps in an operation that could really step up and fill gaps.

The potential is there.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average