Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure North Tyneside Bus Lane Consultation

North Tyneside Bus Lane Consultation

North Tyneside Bus Lane Consultation

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

BusStop

15 Jun 2013, 6:16 pm #1
Just a quick heads up on this. North Tyneside Council are consulting on the use of bus lanes in their area. I just thought I would also show my response to provide an understanding of my views with regards to this matter.

Quote:23-MAY-13

Issued by: Jeanette Hedley

Local people and transport bodies are being asked for their views to shape how North Tyneside's bus lanes operate in the future.

Letters have gone out this week to invite feedback from key stakeholders including bus operators and taxi and private hire vehicle organisations. However, anyone can submit their comments to help shape the council's future policy.

The review will explore how best bus lanes can be used to both ensure the easy movement of the borough's public transport and to support the needs of businesses who contribute to the economic success of North Tyneside.

Coun Frank Lott, Cabinet member for Economic Development said: "We need to find a solution that works for the majority, so it is important that we get as wide involvement in this consultation as possible.

"The bus lanes play an important part in our public transport network, but we also need to ensure they work to support our businesses and the sustained viability of our town centres.

"This review will aim to provide some clarity for all road users about who is allowed to use bus lanes and who shouldn't and enable a clear and consistent enforcement policy to be put in place."

The Council is asking stakeholders to share their views, and the reasons for these, on whether any changes should be considered to the list of categories of vehicle permitted in bus lanes, e.g. whether private hire vehicles should be permitted to use them.

Bus lanes at Benton Lane (A188), Salters Lane (A189) and Balliol Bus Link are currently open to vehicles including buses, hackney carriages and cycles.

The review will also consider some of the current access restrictions, for example certain streets in town centres where 'no entry except buses' or similar restrictions apply.

The Council would welcome views, and the reasons, on any particular locations where amendments to the restriction could be considered, e.g. to admit other categories of vehicle.

In the interim, dispensation has been given to the private hire trade to use bus lanes in North Tyneside, pending the outcome of the bus lane review.

Anyone wishing to share their views on the bus lane review is invited to write to the Council's Parking Control section, or email parkingcontrol@northtyneside.gov.uk , by 21 June 2013.

Quote:Introduction
North Tyneside Council is currently consulting on the vehicles which are given access to Bus Lanes in North Tyneside. This response considers the benefits of providing access to Rail Maintenance Vehicles to improve the reliability of the local public transport network.

Rail Maintenance Vehicles
I would like to see Nexus Rail and Network Rail vans granted an exemption so that they can access Bus Lanes in North Tyneside.
A substantial part of the Tyne and Wear Metro is located in North Tyneside and millions of passengers use the Coast Line to access work, leisure activities and vital services every year. The Metro is regarded as a reliable method to access these opportunities but it occasionally fails. Some of these failures require engineers to attend in vans from Nexus Rail so that they can assist with restoring the Metro service. When the Tyne and Wear Metro fails, it causes congestion on the bus and road network as potential passengers seek alternative options to travel to their activities. As a result, the Nexus Rail response can be hindered because of the additional congestion caused by the incident that they are trying to resolve. With regards to incidents on the Metro network, every minute counts, so any time that can be gained can be essential for keeping North Tyneside moving.
Although there are no National Rail stations in North Tyneside, the East Coast Main Line, which is an important transport artery connecting the North East to London and Scotland passes through the area. In addition, the freight line to Ashington leaves the East Coast Main Line in North Tyneside keeping thousands of tonnes of freight off the roads in North Tyneside. Both of these lines contribute to local economic development and reducing congestion on the local road network. These lines are maintained by Network Rail.
This request is not without precedence. Leicester City Council has granted Network Rail an exemption to access its Bus Lanes when they are responding to an incident in Network Rail liveried vans.
In this FoI response, Leicester City Council explains why they granted Network Rail permission.
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/n..._exemption
Both rail networks contribute substantially to North Tyneside economically and assist with reducing the congestion on our local road network. By providing access to these vehicles, North Tyneside can assist with improving the reliability of the public transport network. This will deliver economic benefits to local residents and businesses.

Private Hire Vehicles
With regards to the matter of Private Hire vehicles, I am supportive of them being given access to Bus Lanes where it runs alongside a road. They are an important asset to an area and their ability to deliver a timely service is crucial. However, I am not supportive of them being given the ability to use Bus Gates designed for large vehicles (similar to the Bus Gate installed at Cobalt Business Park). I am concerned that an error of judgement at a bus gate would result in it getting blocked. Bus Gates are crucial to the bus networks and if it becomes blocked, buses would be forced to use lengthy diversions.
It should be made clear to Private Hire drivers that their access to Bus Lanes is a privilege and that the access is with regards to them moving through it and giving way to buses. Bus Lanes should not be used as a place to drop off, pick up and wait for passengers. Private Hire drivers should face fines and the removal of their Private Hire Licence if they undertake these actions in a Bus Lane or its associated infrastructure.

Summary
I would like to see Network Rail and Nexus Rail liveried vehicles granted access to Bus Lanes in North Tyneside. This would contribute to improving the reliability of our local public transport network and support economic development in North Tyneside
I am broadly supportive of Private Hire vehicles being able to access Bus Lanes across North Tyneside as long as they do not stop in them. I am against Private Hire vehicles using Bus Gates because of the disruption if they are blocked by a misjudgement by the driver.
BusStop
15 Jun 2013, 6:16 pm #1

Just a quick heads up on this. North Tyneside Council are consulting on the use of bus lanes in their area. I just thought I would also show my response to provide an understanding of my views with regards to this matter.

Quote:23-MAY-13

Issued by: Jeanette Hedley

Local people and transport bodies are being asked for their views to shape how North Tyneside's bus lanes operate in the future.

Letters have gone out this week to invite feedback from key stakeholders including bus operators and taxi and private hire vehicle organisations. However, anyone can submit their comments to help shape the council's future policy.

The review will explore how best bus lanes can be used to both ensure the easy movement of the borough's public transport and to support the needs of businesses who contribute to the economic success of North Tyneside.

Coun Frank Lott, Cabinet member for Economic Development said: "We need to find a solution that works for the majority, so it is important that we get as wide involvement in this consultation as possible.

"The bus lanes play an important part in our public transport network, but we also need to ensure they work to support our businesses and the sustained viability of our town centres.

"This review will aim to provide some clarity for all road users about who is allowed to use bus lanes and who shouldn't and enable a clear and consistent enforcement policy to be put in place."

The Council is asking stakeholders to share their views, and the reasons for these, on whether any changes should be considered to the list of categories of vehicle permitted in bus lanes, e.g. whether private hire vehicles should be permitted to use them.

Bus lanes at Benton Lane (A188), Salters Lane (A189) and Balliol Bus Link are currently open to vehicles including buses, hackney carriages and cycles.

The review will also consider some of the current access restrictions, for example certain streets in town centres where 'no entry except buses' or similar restrictions apply.

The Council would welcome views, and the reasons, on any particular locations where amendments to the restriction could be considered, e.g. to admit other categories of vehicle.

In the interim, dispensation has been given to the private hire trade to use bus lanes in North Tyneside, pending the outcome of the bus lane review.

Anyone wishing to share their views on the bus lane review is invited to write to the Council's Parking Control section, or email parkingcontrol@northtyneside.gov.uk , by 21 June 2013.

Quote:Introduction
North Tyneside Council is currently consulting on the vehicles which are given access to Bus Lanes in North Tyneside. This response considers the benefits of providing access to Rail Maintenance Vehicles to improve the reliability of the local public transport network.

Rail Maintenance Vehicles
I would like to see Nexus Rail and Network Rail vans granted an exemption so that they can access Bus Lanes in North Tyneside.
A substantial part of the Tyne and Wear Metro is located in North Tyneside and millions of passengers use the Coast Line to access work, leisure activities and vital services every year. The Metro is regarded as a reliable method to access these opportunities but it occasionally fails. Some of these failures require engineers to attend in vans from Nexus Rail so that they can assist with restoring the Metro service. When the Tyne and Wear Metro fails, it causes congestion on the bus and road network as potential passengers seek alternative options to travel to their activities. As a result, the Nexus Rail response can be hindered because of the additional congestion caused by the incident that they are trying to resolve. With regards to incidents on the Metro network, every minute counts, so any time that can be gained can be essential for keeping North Tyneside moving.
Although there are no National Rail stations in North Tyneside, the East Coast Main Line, which is an important transport artery connecting the North East to London and Scotland passes through the area. In addition, the freight line to Ashington leaves the East Coast Main Line in North Tyneside keeping thousands of tonnes of freight off the roads in North Tyneside. Both of these lines contribute to local economic development and reducing congestion on the local road network. These lines are maintained by Network Rail.
This request is not without precedence. Leicester City Council has granted Network Rail an exemption to access its Bus Lanes when they are responding to an incident in Network Rail liveried vans.
In this FoI response, Leicester City Council explains why they granted Network Rail permission.
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/n..._exemption
Both rail networks contribute substantially to North Tyneside economically and assist with reducing the congestion on our local road network. By providing access to these vehicles, North Tyneside can assist with improving the reliability of the public transport network. This will deliver economic benefits to local residents and businesses.

Private Hire Vehicles
With regards to the matter of Private Hire vehicles, I am supportive of them being given access to Bus Lanes where it runs alongside a road. They are an important asset to an area and their ability to deliver a timely service is crucial. However, I am not supportive of them being given the ability to use Bus Gates designed for large vehicles (similar to the Bus Gate installed at Cobalt Business Park). I am concerned that an error of judgement at a bus gate would result in it getting blocked. Bus Gates are crucial to the bus networks and if it becomes blocked, buses would be forced to use lengthy diversions.
It should be made clear to Private Hire drivers that their access to Bus Lanes is a privilege and that the access is with regards to them moving through it and giving way to buses. Bus Lanes should not be used as a place to drop off, pick up and wait for passengers. Private Hire drivers should face fines and the removal of their Private Hire Licence if they undertake these actions in a Bus Lane or its associated infrastructure.

Summary
I would like to see Network Rail and Nexus Rail liveried vehicles granted access to Bus Lanes in North Tyneside. This would contribute to improving the reliability of our local public transport network and support economic development in North Tyneside
I am broadly supportive of Private Hire vehicles being able to access Bus Lanes across North Tyneside as long as they do not stop in them. I am against Private Hire vehicles using Bus Gates because of the disruption if they are blocked by a misjudgement by the driver.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average