Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Arriva North East Strike Action

Strike Action

Strike Action

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (3) 1 2 3 Next
Bazza

19 Mar 2024, 8:40 pm #1
Believe Blyth and Ashington drivers and engineers have voted overwhelmingly in favour of strike action in their dispute over pay. 
Likelydates will be early to mid April
Bazza
19 Mar 2024, 8:40 pm #1

Believe Blyth and Ashington drivers and engineers have voted overwhelmingly in favour of strike action in their dispute over pay. 

Shrek

19 Mar 2024, 9:53 pm #2
Some would say the strike has already started the amount of cancellations which have been happening recently.
Shrek
19 Mar 2024, 9:53 pm #2

Some would say the strike has already started the amount of cancellations which have been happening recently.

mb134

19 Mar 2024, 10:06 pm #3
(19 Mar 2024, 8:40 pm)Bazza Believe Blyth and Ashington drivers and engineers have voted overwhelmingly in favour of strike action in their dispute over pay. 

Arriva Yorkshire voted the worst operation in the country, Arriva Durham County has been a mess for years, and now Arriva Northumbria overwhelmingly voting to strike. 

It makes you wonder about the credentials of those in charge of Arriva North East & Yorkshire.
mb134
19 Mar 2024, 10:06 pm #3

(19 Mar 2024, 8:40 pm)Bazza Believe Blyth and Ashington drivers and engineers have voted overwhelmingly in favour of strike action in their dispute over pay. 

Arriva Yorkshire voted the worst operation in the country, Arriva Durham County has been a mess for years, and now Arriva Northumbria overwhelmingly voting to strike. 

It makes you wonder about the credentials of those in charge of Arriva North East & Yorkshire.

Storx

20 Mar 2024, 12:02 am #4
(19 Mar 2024, 10:06 pm)mb134 Arriva Yorkshire voted the worst operation in the country, Arriva Durham County has been a mess for years, and now Arriva Northumbria overwhelmingly voting to strike. 

I know who I want to blame for it because the problems of Arriva Yorkshire, Durham and North East seem to very similar to problems which are currently rotting away at GoNorthEast and also the same bloke who had a horrific strike in Manchester aswell.

Rot like that doesn't just go away over night.
Storx
20 Mar 2024, 12:02 am #4

(19 Mar 2024, 10:06 pm)mb134 Arriva Yorkshire voted the worst operation in the country, Arriva Durham County has been a mess for years, and now Arriva Northumbria overwhelmingly voting to strike. 

I know who I want to blame for it because the problems of Arriva Yorkshire, Durham and North East seem to very similar to problems which are currently rotting away at GoNorthEast and also the same bloke who had a horrific strike in Manchester aswell.

mb134

20 Mar 2024, 7:54 am #5
(20 Mar 2024, 7:44 am)RobinHood Or maybe the Unite officer leading the negs with Arriva is pushing them out the door, exactly the same as he did with GNE, same person, same agenda. This is politics, and Arriva are the next pawn.

There is a mix of new and inexperienced Arriva internal Unite reps, being led by Mark Sanderson at Unite. He is not willing to negotiate, simply demanding a number and balloting immediately for IA when the business didn't offer it on day one.

Drivers are happy to go out, as Unite will continue to pay them, so very little to lose in hope of a better offer.

I know there will be variable opinions on this, many in favour, but Unite did this with GNE, demanding pay parity with NW, but not terms. A negotiation isn't a negotiation with Unite, and what did they end up with after it all?

The starting pay at Arriva Northumbria, especially that for license holders (£11.19), is massively below what both GNE (£14.27) and Stagecoach (£14.30) are offering. That's not on the union, that's on incompetent management and not understanding the labour market they're hiring in. 

You then have few experienced drivers joining, the new recruits you do have leaving quickly, and the rest of the drivers becoming increasingly annoyed at the abuse they're receiving because management aren't doing their jobs properly - so they leave too.

I don't think the behaviour of the Union has been great, but Arriva management and the decisions they've made for a few years has caused morale to constantly drop and abuse from passengers to constantly rise. I don't blame the drivers for wanting a break from that one bit, especially when the company is making no attempt to fix the underlying issues.
Edited 20 Mar 2024, 8:08 am by mb134.
mb134
20 Mar 2024, 7:54 am #5

(20 Mar 2024, 7:44 am)RobinHood Or maybe the Unite officer leading the negs with Arriva is pushing them out the door, exactly the same as he did with GNE, same person, same agenda. This is politics, and Arriva are the next pawn.

There is a mix of new and inexperienced Arriva internal Unite reps, being led by Mark Sanderson at Unite. He is not willing to negotiate, simply demanding a number and balloting immediately for IA when the business didn't offer it on day one.

Drivers are happy to go out, as Unite will continue to pay them, so very little to lose in hope of a better offer.

I know there will be variable opinions on this, many in favour, but Unite did this with GNE, demanding pay parity with NW, but not terms. A negotiation isn't a negotiation with Unite, and what did they end up with after it all?

The starting pay at Arriva Northumbria, especially that for license holders (£11.19), is massively below what both GNE (£14.27) and Stagecoach (£14.30) are offering. That's not on the union, that's on incompetent management and not understanding the labour market they're hiring in. 

You then have few experienced drivers joining, the new recruits you do have leaving quickly, and the rest of the drivers becoming increasingly annoyed at the abuse they're receiving because management aren't doing their jobs properly - so they leave too.

I don't think the behaviour of the Union has been great, but Arriva management and the decisions they've made for a few years has caused morale to constantly drop and abuse from passengers to constantly rise. I don't blame the drivers for wanting a break from that one bit, especially when the company is making no attempt to fix the underlying issues.

V514DFT

20 Mar 2024, 12:25 pm #6
(20 Mar 2024, 12:02 am)Storx I know who I want to blame for it because the problems of Arriva Yorkshire, Durham and North East seem to very similar to problems which are currently rotting away at GoNorthEast and also the same bloke who had a horrific strike in Manchester aswell.

There's only a certain way of treating rot like that, and that is to remove it completely

Kind Regards
Tez
V514DFT
20 Mar 2024, 12:25 pm #6

(20 Mar 2024, 12:02 am)Storx I know who I want to blame for it because the problems of Arriva Yorkshire, Durham and North East seem to very similar to problems which are currently rotting away at GoNorthEast and also the same bloke who had a horrific strike in Manchester aswell.

There's only a certain way of treating rot like that, and that is to remove it completely

Kind Regards
Tez

Chris 1

20 Mar 2024, 12:31 pm #7
(20 Mar 2024, 7:54 am)mb134 The starting pay at Arriva Northumbria, especially that for license holders (£11.19), is massively below what both GNE (£14.27) and Stagecoach (£14.30) are offering. That's not on the union, that's on incompetent management and not understanding the labour market they're hiring in. 

Living wage goes up to £11.44 imminently so that £11.19 will surely have to?  Even worse when it takes 2 year to get to top rate, rather than the 1 year quoted by both GNE & SCNE. 

Or is the reality different and the information on the website is out of date?
Chris 1
20 Mar 2024, 12:31 pm #7

(20 Mar 2024, 7:54 am)mb134 The starting pay at Arriva Northumbria, especially that for license holders (£11.19), is massively below what both GNE (£14.27) and Stagecoach (£14.30) are offering. That's not on the union, that's on incompetent management and not understanding the labour market they're hiring in. 

Living wage goes up to £11.44 imminently so that £11.19 will surely have to?  Even worse when it takes 2 year to get to top rate, rather than the 1 year quoted by both GNE & SCNE. 

Storx

20 Mar 2024, 12:50 pm #8
(20 Mar 2024, 12:25 pm)V514DFT There's only a certain way of treating rot like that, and that is to remove it completely

Aye totally agreed, hard to do though when the whole company is full of it. Can't just go sacking people, without paying them off and I wouldn't be surprised if some would be over the moon with that anyway.
Storx
20 Mar 2024, 12:50 pm #8

(20 Mar 2024, 12:25 pm)V514DFT There's only a certain way of treating rot like that, and that is to remove it completely

Aye totally agreed, hard to do though when the whole company is full of it. Can't just go sacking people, without paying them off and I wouldn't be surprised if some would be over the moon with that anyway.

mb134

20 Mar 2024, 1:35 pm #9
(20 Mar 2024, 12:31 pm)Chris 1 Living wage goes up to £11.44 imminently so that £11.19 will surely have to?  Even worse when it takes 2 year to get to top rate, rather than the 1 year quoted by both GNE & SCNE. 

Apologies, it's £11.46 after training at the moment (£11.19 during training, which you'd assume would legally have to increase). It's around a £5.5k difference over the course of a year compared to GNE and Stagecoach - why would anyone with a licence join Arriva?
mb134
20 Mar 2024, 1:35 pm #9

(20 Mar 2024, 12:31 pm)Chris 1 Living wage goes up to £11.44 imminently so that £11.19 will surely have to?  Even worse when it takes 2 year to get to top rate, rather than the 1 year quoted by both GNE & SCNE. 

Apologies, it's £11.46 after training at the moment (£11.19 during training, which you'd assume would legally have to increase). It's around a £5.5k difference over the course of a year compared to GNE and Stagecoach - why would anyone with a licence join Arriva?

Shrek

20 Mar 2024, 2:18 pm #10
It'll be interesting to see what happens when the takeover is completed. It's common after a takeover that the people at the top aren't part of the plans. Let's hope they look to bring in new ideas to take the company forward, it has been treading water in the time DB have been looking to sell.
Shrek
20 Mar 2024, 2:18 pm #10

It'll be interesting to see what happens when the takeover is completed. It's common after a takeover that the people at the top aren't part of the plans. Let's hope they look to bring in new ideas to take the company forward, it has been treading water in the time DB have been looking to sell.

Shrek

22 Mar 2024, 1:03 pm #11
Strike dates set for 7th to 13th and 21st to 27th April.

https://www.unitetheunion.org/news-event...his-spring
Shrek
22 Mar 2024, 1:03 pm #11

Strike dates set for 7th to 13th and 21st to 27th April.

https://www.unitetheunion.org/news-event...his-spring

Storx

22 Mar 2024, 9:50 pm #12
Be interesting to see if the:
X14 (Morpeth to Thropton), X15/X18 (North of Alnwick), X16, 434, 57A (Ashington to Cramlington) and 777 run during these strikes with emergency contracts like they did in Hexham in some form of way.

I believe they're all contracted services or subsidised - would give a level of service to most areas of some form, if they can get someone to actually run them.
Storx
22 Mar 2024, 9:50 pm #12

Be interesting to see if the:
X14 (Morpeth to Thropton), X15/X18 (North of Alnwick), X16, 434, 57A (Ashington to Cramlington) and 777 run during these strikes with emergency contracts like they did in Hexham in some form of way.

I believe they're all contracted services or subsidised - would give a level of service to most areas of some form, if they can get someone to actually run them.

Chris 1

23 Mar 2024, 2:54 pm #13
Anyone know what the union are asking for? I’ve seen driver comments on Facebook alluding to 10%.
Chris 1
23 Mar 2024, 2:54 pm #13

Anyone know what the union are asking for? I’ve seen driver comments on Facebook alluding to 10%.

Storx

23 Mar 2024, 3:07 pm #14
(23 Mar 2024, 2:54 pm)Chris 1 Anyone know what the union are asking for? I’ve seen driver comments on Facebook alluding to 10%.

10% is completely unreasonable. Inflation was 4% in December 2023 so anything above that is a good deal on paper. 

Just because the union was a waste of space for years and accepting poor deals doesn't give them the right imo now to suddenly want double inflation deals. 

(I'm not saying 4% is fair either)
Storx
23 Mar 2024, 3:07 pm #14

(23 Mar 2024, 2:54 pm)Chris 1 Anyone know what the union are asking for? I’ve seen driver comments on Facebook alluding to 10%.

10% is completely unreasonable. Inflation was 4% in December 2023 so anything above that is a good deal on paper. 

Just because the union was a waste of space for years and accepting poor deals doesn't give them the right imo now to suddenly want double inflation deals. 

Chris 1

23 Mar 2024, 5:01 pm #15
(23 Mar 2024, 3:07 pm)Storx 10% is completely unreasonable. Inflation was 4% in December 2023 so anything above that is a good deal on paper. 

I was a few Hobgoblins deep so entirely possible I misunderstood the post. 4% makes them the lowest paid out of the big 3 on current year deals.
Chris 1
23 Mar 2024, 5:01 pm #15

(23 Mar 2024, 3:07 pm)Storx 10% is completely unreasonable. Inflation was 4% in December 2023 so anything above that is a good deal on paper. 

I was a few Hobgoblins deep so entirely possible I misunderstood the post. 4% makes them the lowest paid out of the big 3 on current year deals.

Storx

23 Mar 2024, 5:38 pm #16
(23 Mar 2024, 5:01 pm)Chris 1 I was a few Hobgoblins deep so entirely possible I misunderstood the post. 4% makes them the lowest paid out of the big 3 on current year deals.

To be honest it wouldn't surprise me one bit if it was 10% tbh but it's.more Unites failings that really
Storx
23 Mar 2024, 5:38 pm #16

(23 Mar 2024, 5:01 pm)Chris 1 I was a few Hobgoblins deep so entirely possible I misunderstood the post. 4% makes them the lowest paid out of the big 3 on current year deals.

To be honest it wouldn't surprise me one bit if it was 10% tbh but it's.more Unites failings that really

mb134

23 Mar 2024, 6:39 pm #17

Heard on the grapevine that it would be around 6% that the drivers would want (or around £15 per hour). Believe they also want the new starter rate to be significantly increased too - ultimately this being so poor is why they're in such a bad state staffing level wise.
mb134
23 Mar 2024, 6:39 pm #17

Heard on the grapevine that it would be around 6% that the drivers would want (or around £15 per hour). Believe they also want the new starter rate to be significantly increased too - ultimately this being so poor is why they're in such a bad state staffing level wise.

Storx

23 Mar 2024, 7:11 pm #18
(23 Mar 2024, 6:39 pm)mb134 Heard on the grapevine that it would be around 6% that the drivers would want (or around £15 per hour). Believe they also want the new starter rate to be significantly increased too - ultimately this being so poor is why they're in such a bad state staffing level wise.

That seems totally fair to me if I had to be honest and pretty much should be where it is nowadays imo.
Edited 23 Mar 2024, 7:11 pm by Storx.
Storx
23 Mar 2024, 7:11 pm #18

(23 Mar 2024, 6:39 pm)mb134 Heard on the grapevine that it would be around 6% that the drivers would want (or around £15 per hour). Believe they also want the new starter rate to be significantly increased too - ultimately this being so poor is why they're in such a bad state staffing level wise.

That seems totally fair to me if I had to be honest and pretty much should be where it is nowadays imo.

mb134

23 Mar 2024, 7:35 pm #19
(23 Mar 2024, 7:11 pm)Storx That seems totally fair to me if I had to be honest and pretty much should be where it is nowadays imo.

Yeah, I think essentially they want to be paid similarly to Stagecoach and GNE. Stagecoach go up to £15.01 from May, so I don't think it's unreasonable. 

In terms of the new starter rate, theres a ridiculously high amount of drivers starting then leaving before they get anywhere near the 2 year point where they'd earn top rate. The money simply isn't good enough to retain them, given the demands of the job and increasing antisocial behaviour.
mb134
23 Mar 2024, 7:35 pm #19

(23 Mar 2024, 7:11 pm)Storx That seems totally fair to me if I had to be honest and pretty much should be where it is nowadays imo.

Yeah, I think essentially they want to be paid similarly to Stagecoach and GNE. Stagecoach go up to £15.01 from May, so I don't think it's unreasonable. 

In terms of the new starter rate, theres a ridiculously high amount of drivers starting then leaving before they get anywhere near the 2 year point where they'd earn top rate. The money simply isn't good enough to retain them, given the demands of the job and increasing antisocial behaviour.

Storx

23 Mar 2024, 7:40 pm #20
(23 Mar 2024, 7:35 pm)mb134 Yeah, I think essentially they want to be paid similarly to Stagecoach and GNE. Stagecoach go up to £15.01 from May, so I don't think it's unreasonable. 

Yeah pretty much, and I'd argue is the pretty going rate really. Wonder if the minibus rota will be scrapped aswell, if it hasn't already - as that's just a farce imo. They're doing the same job.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the rest of Arriva North East as if I'm right they're paid even less than Arriva Northumbria. Just checked Darlington and their top rate is £13.52 according to the job details - https://www.arrivabusjobs.co.uk/job-desc...1710118861.

Totally unacceptable imo and if they did get their £15.00 an hour, that's 11% before talking about the time difference from December.
Edited 23 Mar 2024, 7:41 pm by Storx.
Storx
23 Mar 2024, 7:40 pm #20

(23 Mar 2024, 7:35 pm)mb134 Yeah, I think essentially they want to be paid similarly to Stagecoach and GNE. Stagecoach go up to £15.01 from May, so I don't think it's unreasonable. 

Yeah pretty much, and I'd argue is the pretty going rate really. Wonder if the minibus rota will be scrapped aswell, if it hasn't already - as that's just a farce imo. They're doing the same job.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the rest of Arriva North East as if I'm right they're paid even less than Arriva Northumbria. Just checked Darlington and their top rate is £13.52 according to the job details - https://www.arrivabusjobs.co.uk/job-desc...1710118861.

Totally unacceptable imo and if they did get their £15.00 an hour, that's 11% before talking about the time difference from December.

Pages (3) 1 2 3 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average