Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Arriva North East Arriva North East: Service Suggestions

Arriva North East: Service Suggestions

Arriva North East: Service Suggestions

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (69) Previous 155 56 5769 Next
04 Sep 2021, 4:05 pm #1,101
Would there be any demand for a Oakenshaw to Durham Service

Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/
ASX_Terranova
04 Sep 2021, 4:05 pm #1,101

Would there be any demand for a Oakenshaw to Durham Service

06 Sep 2021, 4:30 pm #1,102
Spennymoor to Durham via Whitworth Hall, Brandon & Langley Moor.
Tow Law to Durham via East Headleyhope & Esh Winning.
Durham to Shildon via Bishop Auckland (Did the 5 do this at one point???)

ASX_Terranova
06 Sep 2021, 4:30 pm #1,102

Spennymoor to Durham via Whitworth Hall, Brandon & Langley Moor.

06 Sep 2021, 4:41 pm #1,103
(06 Sep 2021, 4:30 pm)ASX_Terranova Spennymoor to Durham via Whitworth Hall, Brandon & Langley Moor.

Wouldn't that just duplicate the 6 until Bishop, then duplicate either the 1 or the 5? I think that would only make sense if the frequency of the 6 between Durham and Bishop was reduced
streetdeckfan
06 Sep 2021, 4:41 pm #1,103

(06 Sep 2021, 4:30 pm)ASX_Terranova Spennymoor to Durham via Whitworth Hall, Brandon & Langley Moor.

Wouldn't that just duplicate the 6 until Bishop, then duplicate either the 1 or the 5? I think that would only make sense if the frequency of the 6 between Durham and Bishop was reduced

peter

06 Sep 2021, 9:41 pm #1,104

The 5/5a continued through to Durham pre-April 2011, from which point the 6 took over between Durham and Bishop and was then extended to Cockfield in January 2012.
peter
06 Sep 2021, 9:41 pm #1,104

The 5/5a continued through to Durham pre-April 2011, from which point the 6 took over between Durham and Bishop and was then extended to Cockfield in January 2012.

06 Sep 2021, 9:49 pm #1,105
(06 Sep 2021, 9:41 pm)peter The 5/5a continued through to Durham pre-April 2011, from which point the 6 took over between Durham and Bishop and was then extended to Cockfield in January 2012.
Make the 6 every 10 mins then extend 2 of those to shildon

ASX_Terranova
06 Sep 2021, 9:49 pm #1,105

(06 Sep 2021, 9:41 pm)peter The 5/5a continued through to Durham pre-April 2011, from which point the 6 took over between Durham and Bishop and was then extended to Cockfield in January 2012.
Make the 6 every 10 mins then extend 2 of those to shildon

07 Sep 2021, 3:20 pm #1,106
New Service: Durham City, Langley Moor, Brandon Co-Op, Brancepeth Village, Oakenshaw, Willington, Sunny Brow, Hunwick, Toronto, Bishop Auckland.

Would replace DCC 109. Would run up to every 30 mins.

ASX_Terranova
07 Sep 2021, 3:20 pm #1,106

New Service: Durham City, Langley Moor, Brandon Co-Op, Brancepeth Village, Oakenshaw, Willington, Sunny Brow, Hunwick, Toronto, Bishop Auckland.

peter

07 Sep 2021, 4:59 pm #1,107
(07 Sep 2021, 3:20 pm)ASX_Terranova New Service: Durham City, Langley Moor, Brandon Co-Op, Brancepeth Village, Oakenshaw, Willington, Sunny Brow, Hunwick, Toronto, Bishop Auckland.

This service more or less used to exist a few years ago - was numbered the 50A. It then got extended to Evenwood via Toft Hill replacing the 86 before being withdrawn and split into the 86 to Toft Hill and 87 to Wear Valley View. By that point the 108 was introduced combining half hourly with the 109 and the 87 was quickly withdrawn. Can't see Arriva re-introducing that service at all unless it was fully DCC supported.

(06 Sep 2021, 9:49 pm)ASX_Terranova Make the 6 every 10 mins then extend 2 of those to shildon

Can't see that working as it would leave West Auckland with an irregular service - no need to make things unnecessarily complicated when passengers from Shildon can change quite easily at Bishop.
Edited 07 Sep 2021, 5:02 pm by peter.
peter
07 Sep 2021, 4:59 pm #1,107

(07 Sep 2021, 3:20 pm)ASX_Terranova New Service: Durham City, Langley Moor, Brandon Co-Op, Brancepeth Village, Oakenshaw, Willington, Sunny Brow, Hunwick, Toronto, Bishop Auckland.

This service more or less used to exist a few years ago - was numbered the 50A. It then got extended to Evenwood via Toft Hill replacing the 86 before being withdrawn and split into the 86 to Toft Hill and 87 to Wear Valley View. By that point the 108 was introduced combining half hourly with the 109 and the 87 was quickly withdrawn. Can't see Arriva re-introducing that service at all unless it was fully DCC supported.

(06 Sep 2021, 9:49 pm)ASX_Terranova Make the 6 every 10 mins then extend 2 of those to shildon

Can't see that working as it would leave West Auckland with an irregular service - no need to make things unnecessarily complicated when passengers from Shildon can change quite easily at Bishop.

10 Sep 2021, 9:50 pm #1,108
X60: BIshop Auckland to Hartlepool via Coundon, Chilton, Bradbury, Sedgefield, Wynyard, Wolviston & Rift House.
Could be Branded as The A689 Flyer.

ASX_Terranova
10 Sep 2021, 9:50 pm #1,108

X60: BIshop Auckland to Hartlepool via Coundon, Chilton, Bradbury, Sedgefield, Wynyard, Wolviston & Rift House.

peter

10 Sep 2021, 10:18 pm #1,109
(10 Sep 2021, 9:50 pm)ASX_Terranova X60: BIshop Auckland to Hartlepool via Coundon, Chilton, Bradbury, Sedgefield, Wynyard, Wolviston & Rift House.

Can't see the demand being there tbh, there have previously been services from Bishop Auckland to Stockton and Bishop Auckland to Sedgefield for example which haven't survived. Also think you'd need something a bit catchier than A689 Flyer - not that Arriva really do branding apart from Max, Sapphire etc so wouldn't happen anyway - but there's hardly much to be celebrated about an A-road.

I love that your suggestions hark back to services of yesteryear but I don't think they'd be realistic in the present!
peter
10 Sep 2021, 10:18 pm #1,109

(10 Sep 2021, 9:50 pm)ASX_Terranova X60: BIshop Auckland to Hartlepool via Coundon, Chilton, Bradbury, Sedgefield, Wynyard, Wolviston & Rift House.

Can't see the demand being there tbh, there have previously been services from Bishop Auckland to Stockton and Bishop Auckland to Sedgefield for example which haven't survived. Also think you'd need something a bit catchier than A689 Flyer - not that Arriva really do branding apart from Max, Sapphire etc so wouldn't happen anyway - but there's hardly much to be celebrated about an A-road.

I love that your suggestions hark back to services of yesteryear but I don't think they'd be realistic in the present!

11 Sep 2021, 7:40 pm #1,110
I like the "simplicity" of the 22/23/24, providing a fifteen minute service from Peterlee to Sunderland/ Durham/ Hartlepool but the 22 seems a bit of an oddity compared to the other two routes

Durham to Hartlepool is a fairly straight line - or would be if the 24 didn't try to be a Town Service for half of Peterlee - Hartlepool to Sunderland is a fairly straight line - but Durham to Hartlepool is a ig of a "dog leg"

The only two things that the 22 has got going for it (AFAICS) are that it's a direct link from Durham to Dalton Park and that it might as well run as a through service because the Durham - Peterlee and Peterlee - Sunderland routes both deserve a fifteen minute service, so you might as well link the two halves together to dovetail with the Durham - Peterlee bit of the 24 and the Peterlee - Sunderland bit of the 23)

The half hourly GNE 65 provides a faster Durham - Dalton Park service, which got me wondering whether the Peterlee - Sunderland bit of the 22 would be better served by extensions of the X21/X22 through to Wearside instead?

That would at least provide some links like Newton Aycliffe/ Sedgefield to Dalton Park/ Sunderland - probably not going to be huge markets, but there can't be many people who are sitting on a 22 all the way from Durham to Sunderland at the moment given the frequency of the GNE 20/ X20

(apologies if this is a subject that's been debated to death - I've only recently joined so am reading through some of the long running threads!)
Yorkshire Pudding
11 Sep 2021, 7:40 pm #1,110

I like the "simplicity" of the 22/23/24, providing a fifteen minute service from Peterlee to Sunderland/ Durham/ Hartlepool but the 22 seems a bit of an oddity compared to the other two routes

Durham to Hartlepool is a fairly straight line - or would be if the 24 didn't try to be a Town Service for half of Peterlee - Hartlepool to Sunderland is a fairly straight line - but Durham to Hartlepool is a ig of a "dog leg"

The only two things that the 22 has got going for it (AFAICS) are that it's a direct link from Durham to Dalton Park and that it might as well run as a through service because the Durham - Peterlee and Peterlee - Sunderland routes both deserve a fifteen minute service, so you might as well link the two halves together to dovetail with the Durham - Peterlee bit of the 24 and the Peterlee - Sunderland bit of the 23)

The half hourly GNE 65 provides a faster Durham - Dalton Park service, which got me wondering whether the Peterlee - Sunderland bit of the 22 would be better served by extensions of the X21/X22 through to Wearside instead?

That would at least provide some links like Newton Aycliffe/ Sedgefield to Dalton Park/ Sunderland - probably not going to be huge markets, but there can't be many people who are sitting on a 22 all the way from Durham to Sunderland at the moment given the frequency of the GNE 20/ X20

(apologies if this is a subject that's been debated to death - I've only recently joined so am reading through some of the long running threads!)

Storx

12 Sep 2021, 9:27 pm #1,111
(11 Sep 2021, 7:40 pm)Yorkshire Pudding I like the "simplicity" of the 22/23/24, providing a fifteen minute service from Peterlee to Sunderland/ Durham/ Hartlepool but the 22 seems a bit of an oddity compared to the other two routes

Never seen it discussed but I'd say the reason the 22 is done is for operational reasons more than anything.

The 23 wouldn't have anything to operate with since a 23 -> 24 -> 24 -> 23 would take around 5 hours. They operate on a 22 -> 23 -> 24 or vice versa.
Storx
12 Sep 2021, 9:27 pm #1,111

(11 Sep 2021, 7:40 pm)Yorkshire Pudding I like the "simplicity" of the 22/23/24, providing a fifteen minute service from Peterlee to Sunderland/ Durham/ Hartlepool but the 22 seems a bit of an oddity compared to the other two routes

Never seen it discussed but I'd say the reason the 22 is done is for operational reasons more than anything.

The 23 wouldn't have anything to operate with since a 23 -> 24 -> 24 -> 23 would take around 5 hours. They operate on a 22 -> 23 -> 24 or vice versa.

BusLoverMum

12 Sep 2021, 9:36 pm #1,112

The X21 did run to Sunderland, for many years, until very recently.
BusLoverMum
12 Sep 2021, 9:36 pm #1,112

The X21 did run to Sunderland, for many years, until very recently.

13 Sep 2021, 6:58 am #1,113

The X21 ran hourly onwards from Peterlee to Sunderland until 2020. It used the MAN Gas buses from Darlington. The links you speak of were used less and less because of the absolute stagger that an X21 was. I doubt it will ever run beyond Peterlee again.
54APhotography
13 Sep 2021, 6:58 am #1,113

The X21 ran hourly onwards from Peterlee to Sunderland until 2020. It used the MAN Gas buses from Darlington. The links you speak of were used less and less because of the absolute stagger that an X21 was. I doubt it will ever run beyond Peterlee again.

13 Sep 2021, 9:17 pm #1,114
Thanks everyone - I hadn't realised that the 22/23/24 interworked or that the X21 had previously run through to Sunderland

The current 22/23/24 are both pleasingly simple (providing a fifteen minute service on each side of Peterlee, quite easy for passenger to understand, providing direct links) and very frustrating (given the awkward diversions to cover what were previously "Town Services" in Peterlee) and the massive dog-leg required to get from Durham to Sunderland on Arriva (rather than the GNE 20/X20)

There seem to be a number of places where routes are being chopped up to improve time keeping and also places where routes are added together to trim down the number of drivers/vehicles required and also tick a few boxes by being seen to provide a direct link (the GNE 42As from Wallsend to Kingston Park!)
Yorkshire Pudding
13 Sep 2021, 9:17 pm #1,114

Thanks everyone - I hadn't realised that the 22/23/24 interworked or that the X21 had previously run through to Sunderland

The current 22/23/24 are both pleasingly simple (providing a fifteen minute service on each side of Peterlee, quite easy for passenger to understand, providing direct links) and very frustrating (given the awkward diversions to cover what were previously "Town Services" in Peterlee) and the massive dog-leg required to get from Durham to Sunderland on Arriva (rather than the GNE 20/X20)

There seem to be a number of places where routes are being chopped up to improve time keeping and also places where routes are added together to trim down the number of drivers/vehicles required and also tick a few boxes by being seen to provide a direct link (the GNE 42As from Wallsend to Kingston Park!)

15 Sep 2021, 4:31 pm #1,115
Does anyone remember the United 236/336.
Were they busy? When did they stop running? Does any of the route exist today?

ASX_Terranova
15 Sep 2021, 4:31 pm #1,115

Does anyone remember the United 236/336.

cbma06

16 Sep 2021, 5:34 am #1,116
(15 Sep 2021, 4:31 pm)ASX_Terranova Does anyone remember the United 236/336.

What was the route for the 236/336?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbma06
16 Sep 2021, 5:34 am #1,116

What was the route for the 236/336?

16 Sep 2021, 8:57 am #1,117
(16 Sep 2021, 5:34 am)cbma06 What was the route for the 236/336?

https://northeastbuses.co.uk/bygone/item.php?id=1869

ASX_Terranova
16 Sep 2021, 8:57 am #1,117

(16 Sep 2021, 5:34 am)cbma06 What was the route for the 236/336?

https://northeastbuses.co.uk/bygone/item.php?id=1869

cbma06

16 Sep 2021, 9:17 am #1,118
(16 Sep 2021, 8:57 am)ASX_Terranova https://northeastbuses.co.uk/bygone/item.php?id=1869

Arriva just forcing passengers for onward travel via Durham now, all for profit now than passengers, all Arriva services south of Hartlepool were given to Stagecoach when there purchased Hartlepool transport and in turn parts of Cleveland were given to Arriva as an exchange

cbma06
16 Sep 2021, 9:17 am #1,118

(16 Sep 2021, 8:57 am)ASX_Terranova https://northeastbuses.co.uk/bygone/item.php?id=1869

Arriva just forcing passengers for onward travel via Durham now, all for profit now than passengers, all Arriva services south of Hartlepool were given to Stagecoach when there purchased Hartlepool transport and in turn parts of Cleveland were given to Arriva as an exchange

Jimmi

16 Sep 2021, 5:46 pm #1,119
The Arriva 57/57A now collectively cover much of the route between Trimdon Village & Hartlepool whilst the Bishop Auckland to Ferryhill (via Coundon) leg is covered by the 56 to Durham.

The route as described existed between Chilton/Ferryhill and Hartlepool in close to that form until April 2011 as service 33 when it was then diverted from Ferryhill via Bishop Middleham to replace the long standing 69 on that stretch, Chilton was still covered on service 8A from Darlington to Ferryhill (effectively current 8 route) then continue through to Hartlepool as the 33. In October 2012 when Durham County Council made more service revisions with tendered services the 33 (now 113) was cut to run Ferryhill to Sedgefield (via Fishburn) with Scarlet Band winning the contract whilst Arriva introduced the 57A from Durham to Hartlepool via the Trimdons taking the Trimdon Village to Hartlepool leg of the 33.

From what I've gathered the numbers in later years were pretty mediocre between Ferryhill and Hartlepool and I think part of the 33/57A was also supported at least in part. Doubt the demand is really there to make it work as Hartlepool isn't that much of a draw these days to attract the numbers.
Jimmi
16 Sep 2021, 5:46 pm #1,119

The Arriva 57/57A now collectively cover much of the route between Trimdon Village & Hartlepool whilst the Bishop Auckland to Ferryhill (via Coundon) leg is covered by the 56 to Durham.

The route as described existed between Chilton/Ferryhill and Hartlepool in close to that form until April 2011 as service 33 when it was then diverted from Ferryhill via Bishop Middleham to replace the long standing 69 on that stretch, Chilton was still covered on service 8A from Darlington to Ferryhill (effectively current 8 route) then continue through to Hartlepool as the 33. In October 2012 when Durham County Council made more service revisions with tendered services the 33 (now 113) was cut to run Ferryhill to Sedgefield (via Fishburn) with Scarlet Band winning the contract whilst Arriva introduced the 57A from Durham to Hartlepool via the Trimdons taking the Trimdon Village to Hartlepool leg of the 33.

From what I've gathered the numbers in later years were pretty mediocre between Ferryhill and Hartlepool and I think part of the 33/57A was also supported at least in part. Doubt the demand is really there to make it work as Hartlepool isn't that much of a draw these days to attract the numbers.

col87

22 Sep 2021, 4:52 pm #1,120
(16 Sep 2021, 5:46 pm)Jimmi The Arriva 57/57A now collectively cover much of the route between Trimdon Village & Hartlepool whilst the Bishop Auckland to Ferryhill (via Coundon) leg is covered by the 56 to Durham.

Been from Hartlepool unfortunately I have to agree. The 236 or 33 in its final years was a good ride out. However having a service between two places whos town centres are slowly dying with no where of interest just a few villages in between it clearly won’t work.
col87
22 Sep 2021, 4:52 pm #1,120

(16 Sep 2021, 5:46 pm)Jimmi The Arriva 57/57A now collectively cover much of the route between Trimdon Village & Hartlepool whilst the Bishop Auckland to Ferryhill (via Coundon) leg is covered by the 56 to Durham.

Been from Hartlepool unfortunately I have to agree. The 236 or 33 in its final years was a good ride out. However having a service between two places whos town centres are slowly dying with no where of interest just a few villages in between it clearly won’t work.

Pages (69) Previous 155 56 5769 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average