Non-UK Bus Operations

Non-UK Bus Operations

• 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average

Pages (2): 1 2 Next
Dan

Site Administrator

29 Jul 2013, 7:13 am #1
News, debate and discussion on Bus Operations outside of the UK

"The LibertyBus service in Jersey is here to keep you on the move – whether you’re commuting to work, visiting the Island, going shopping or just getting out and about.

Your LibertyBus service is delivered by CT Plus Jersey under contract to – and in partnership with – the Transport and Technical Services Department at the States of Jersey."

Currently, LibertyBus staff members are on strike. It is rumoured that this is as a result of another member of staff being dismissed and also about changes to shift patterns and working practices.

A report on the BBC is given here, while further information is displayed on the operator's website here and here.
Dan
29 Jul 2013, 7:13 am #1

News, debate and discussion on Bus Operations outside of the UK

"The LibertyBus service in Jersey is here to keep you on the move – whether you’re commuting to work, visiting the Island, going shopping or just getting out and about.

Your LibertyBus service is delivered by CT Plus Jersey under contract to – and in partnership with – the Transport and Technical Services Department at the States of Jersey."

Currently, LibertyBus staff members are on strike. It is rumoured that this is as a result of another member of staff being dismissed and also about changes to shift patterns and working practices.

A report on the BBC is given here, while further information is displayed on the operator's website here and here.

Dan

Site Administrator

23 Aug 2013, 7:28 am #2
Just 24 hours before the strike was due to commence, LibertyBus members of staff called it off.
Read more here - article published on 21st August by BBC.
Dan
23 Aug 2013, 7:28 am #2

Just 24 hours before the strike was due to commence, LibertyBus members of staff called it off.
Read more here - article published on 21st August by BBC.

19 Sep 2013, 7:29 am #3
Looks like Arrivas in Trouble over in Malta again...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/...19734.html
Terence Price
19 Sep 2013, 7:29 am #3

Looks like Arrivas in Trouble over in Malta again...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/...19734.html

Michael

19 Sep 2013, 3:04 pm #4
Wasn't sure where to put it but....

Six killed after train collides with bus in Canada's capital

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/...pital?lite

The pic of the bus is in a right mess, its at bottom of the page

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
19 Sep 2013, 3:04 pm #4

Wasn't sure where to put it but....

Six killed after train collides with bus in Canada's capital

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/...pital?lite

The pic of the bus is in a right mess, its at bottom of the page

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

21 Sep 2013, 11:48 pm #5
Why are people kicking up a stink about it, its a bus aint it, gets from A to B

Could imagine someone issuing GNE an ultimatum

'Get rid of M(S)PDS or else we will boycott whereever they go'

EDIT: JUST READ THE WHOLE ARTICLE Wink
Edited 21 Sep 2013, 11:50 pm by MrFozz.
MrFozz
21 Sep 2013, 11:48 pm #5

Why are people kicking up a stink about it, its a bus aint it, gets from A to B

22 Sep 2013, 7:37 am #6
(21 Sep 2013, 11:48 pm)fozzovmurton Why are people kicking up a stink about it, its a bus aint it, gets from A to B

Should bring them back to the UK, the North West has a decker shortage so this would be a step forward
Terence Price
22 Sep 2013, 7:37 am #6

(21 Sep 2013, 11:48 pm)fozzovmurton Why are people kicking up a stink about it, its a bus aint it, gets from A to B

Should bring them back to the UK, the North West has a decker shortage so this would be a step forward

Andreos1

22 Sep 2013, 8:51 am #7
I saw an advert the other day, for 6 month driving vacancies out there.

It seems there are issues, not just related to vehicles...

A big organisation coming onto Malta and re-writing the whole industry on the Island, was bound to cause issues and problems.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
22 Sep 2013, 8:51 am #7

I saw an advert the other day, for 6 month driving vacancies out there.

It seems there are issues, not just related to vehicles...

A big organisation coming onto Malta and re-writing the whole industry on the Island, was bound to cause issues and problems.

22 Sep 2013, 8:57 am #8
True, i dont know whos *smart* idea it was to use bendies on a small island in the first place, i would gladly swap some bendies with some of the Pulsars at Arriva St Helens Depot, 10A route needs the extra seats and the only change you need to do to the route is make it go around the back of the Wilkos in St Helens, an extra minute in the Timetable.
Terence Price
22 Sep 2013, 8:57 am #8

True, i dont know whos *smart* idea it was to use bendies on a small island in the first place, i would gladly swap some bendies with some of the Pulsars at Arriva St Helens Depot, 10A route needs the extra seats and the only change you need to do to the route is make it go around the back of the Wilkos in St Helens, an extra minute in the Timetable.

Adrian

23 Sep 2013, 5:20 am #9
It's sounds more like a bus that's taking them from A to B, via a fire. Tongue

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
23 Sep 2013, 5:20 am #9

It's sounds more like a bus that's taking them from A to B, via a fire. Tongue

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

23 Sep 2013, 7:57 am #10
Keeps you awake in the morning apparently Wink
Terence Price
23 Sep 2013, 7:57 am #10

Keeps you awake in the morning apparently Wink

13 Oct 2013, 8:19 pm #11
Or we could gather up all the renouns from St. Helens and send them over to malta
Night driver
13 Oct 2013, 8:19 pm #11

Or we could gather up all the renouns from St. Helens and send them over to malta

13 Oct 2013, 8:37 pm #12
If the renowns was to leave St Helens you would have to find full size single deckers from somewhere to replace them otherwise you leave the depot even lower on Seat numbers.
Terence Price
13 Oct 2013, 8:37 pm #12

If the renowns was to leave St Helens you would have to find full size single deckers from somewhere to replace them otherwise you leave the depot even lower on Seat numbers.

14 Oct 2013, 8:34 am #13
Leave the Renown's at St Helens as there some of the best buses in the fleet at St Helens in my opinion, if they did indeed leave the fleet at St Helens it would be interesting to see what would replace them on 89s which is the route there primarily used on these days well that and 320s
Wright Dart 40416
14 Oct 2013, 8:34 am #13

Leave the Renown's at St Helens as there some of the best buses in the fleet at St Helens in my opinion, if they did indeed leave the fleet at St Helens it would be interesting to see what would replace them on 89s which is the route there primarily used on these days well that and 320s

01 Jan 2014, 11:38 pm #14
Well it has been confirmed Arriva are to pull out of Malta
Terence Price
01 Jan 2014, 11:38 pm #14

Well it has been confirmed Arriva are to pull out of Malta

Andreos1

11 Jul 2014, 12:12 pm #15
As well as testing out my Greek and the Ouzo, I will also be sampling the two bus operators which exist on my trip out there.

One is a municipal ownened company, the other (as far as I can gather), is still state owned.

The fares look cheap, no idea what the fleet will be like.

May break the habit of a lifetime and take a photo or two!

Andreos1
11 Jul 2014, 12:12 pm #15

As well as testing out my Greek and the Ouzo, I will also be sampling the two bus operators which exist on my trip out there.

One is a municipal ownened company, the other (as far as I can gather), is still state owned.

The fares look cheap, no idea what the fleet will be like.

May break the habit of a lifetime and take a photo or two!

Andreos1

11 Aug 2014, 3:04 pm #16
Used the bus in Rhodes for the first time today - going, it was a MAN Regio. Coming back, some sort of Neoplan coach.

For a 30min+ journey (12mile), the fare was €2.20, which I thought reasonable.

Buses were heaving and drivers were radio-ing in to control letting them know of the queues of passengers dotted around.

Additional buses were put out, some running short to certain popular destinations, such as the waterpark in Faliaraki.

Inspectors were also out on the buses, although not sure what they were doing, other than maybe monitoring loads - certainly didn't check tickets.

Coming back on the coach, I witnessed the Greek temperament at its best.
Seeing a waiting passenger standing by the side of the road (not at a stop), the driver was wanting to leave her - the inspector made him stop.
On boarding, both the driver and inspector made a point in explaining it wasn't a bus stop and pointed out the next flag as we passed it.
The driver also got a berating as he whizzed past a young lad waiting - being forced to stop by the inspector, who apologised to the lad.

On boarding a bus by the road, you are expected to pay the driver.
In Rhodes, you pay at the KTEL kiosk in the bus station and show the driver your ticket - except that is what is supposed to happen.
Some locals paid on boarding, the rest of the locals and all tourists, bought at the kiosk.

Timetables - they're a mystery.
Routes aren't allocated a number.
They don't list via points either.
Despite several buses passing through the place we are staying, only one service actually lists it as a destination on the timetable.
You basically look at the map and if a bus is going to a town, village, resort beyond where you are staying, you can get it.

Heading in the opposite direction tomorrow - will maybe share my adventures again!

One bonus - there are no funky zones to go through! No boundaries to work out or nowt!
Maybe they're onto a winner with that one Wink

Andreos1
11 Aug 2014, 3:04 pm #16

Used the bus in Rhodes for the first time today - going, it was a MAN Regio. Coming back, some sort of Neoplan coach.

Buses were heaving and drivers were radio-ing in to control letting them know of the queues of passengers dotted around.

Additional buses were put out, some running short to certain popular destinations, such as the waterpark in Faliaraki.

Inspectors were also out on the buses, although not sure what they were doing, other than maybe monitoring loads - certainly didn't check tickets.

Seeing a waiting passenger standing by the side of the road (not at a stop), the driver was wanting to leave her - the inspector made him stop.
On boarding, both the driver and inspector made a point in explaining it wasn't a bus stop and pointed out the next flag as we passed it.
The driver also got a berating as he whizzed past a young lad waiting - being forced to stop by the inspector, who apologised to the lad.

In Rhodes, you pay at the KTEL kiosk in the bus station and show the driver your ticket - except that is what is supposed to happen.
Some locals paid on boarding, the rest of the locals and all tourists, bought at the kiosk.

Despite several buses passing through the place we are staying, only one service actually lists it as a destination on the timetable.
You basically look at the map and if a bus is going to a town, village, resort beyond where you are staying, you can get it.

Heading in the opposite direction tomorrow - will maybe share my adventures again!

One bonus - there are no funky zones to go through! No boundaries to work out or nowt!

Andreos1

12 Aug 2014, 2:57 pm #17
(11 Aug 2014, 3:04 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Used the bus in Rhodes for the first time today - going, it was a MAN Regio. Coming back, some sort of Neoplan coach.

Second trip today using KTEA.
As yesterday, this mornings trip was on a MAN Regio and it was a trip back on a coach (managed to id it as a dual doored Setra).

Both were comfy, with the Setra carrying standees down the gangway.
On a hill which was longer than Long Bank, but just as steep - the MAN bus performed better than the Setra coach. In fact, the bus had plenty room left in its engine and was desperate to do some overtaking.

Today, we travelled just short of 20miles, it took about 45mins and cost €3.50.

Still cheap and still no zonal systems in sight Wink
Edited 14 Aug 2014, 11:06 am by Andreos1.

Andreos1
12 Aug 2014, 2:57 pm #17

(11 Aug 2014, 3:04 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Used the bus in Rhodes for the first time today - going, it was a MAN Regio. Coming back, some sort of Neoplan coach.

Second trip today using KTEA.
As yesterday, this mornings trip was on a MAN Regio and it was a trip back on a coach (managed to id it as a dual doored Setra).

On a hill which was longer than Long Bank, but just as steep - the MAN bus performed better than the Setra coach. In fact, the bus had plenty room left in its engine and was desperate to do some overtaking.

05 Sep 2015, 11:08 am #18
(12 Aug 2014, 2:57 pm)Andreos1 Second trip today using KTEA.

When I went to Zakynthos in July I went on two operators; Ionan Transport (with awful bovas and setras and KTEA the main public operator.
NK53 TKT
05 Sep 2015, 11:08 am #18

(12 Aug 2014, 2:57 pm)Andreos1 Second trip today using KTEA.

When I went to Zakynthos in July I went on two operators; Ionan Transport (with awful bovas and setras and KTEA the main public operator.

04 Feb 2016, 11:28 am #19
Currently in Alpe D'Huez in France and they have shuttles round the village using king longs, MANs and Citaros. The weird thing is that they do not have numbers, they have Apple Circuit, Strawberry Circuit and Blueberry Circuit, the only numbered bus is the 3020 to Grenoble
NK53 TKT
04 Feb 2016, 11:28 am #19

Currently in Alpe D'Huez in France and they have shuttles round the village using king longs, MANs and Citaros. The weird thing is that they do not have numbers, they have Apple Circuit, Strawberry Circuit and Blueberry Circuit, the only numbered bus is the 3020 to Grenoble

04 Feb 2016, 9:00 pm #20
(04 Feb 2016, 11:28 am)NK53 TKT Currently in Alpe D'Huez in France and they have shuttles round the village using king longs, MANs and Citaros. The weird thing is that they do not have numbers, they have Apple Circuit, Strawberry Circuit and Blueberry Circuit, the only numbered bus is the 3020 to Grenoble

I tried one of the French buses on the Apple Circuit today, it was a Temsa? Solaris, very decent considering it is a free bus. The 3020 to Grenoble is run by Bovas
NK53 TKT
04 Feb 2016, 9:00 pm #20

(04 Feb 2016, 11:28 am)NK53 TKT Currently in Alpe D'Huez in France and they have shuttles round the village using king longs, MANs and Citaros. The weird thing is that they do not have numbers, they have Apple Circuit, Strawberry Circuit and Blueberry Circuit, the only numbered bus is the 3020 to Grenoble

I tried one of the French buses on the Apple Circuit today, it was a Temsa? Solaris, very decent considering it is a free bus. The 3020 to Grenoble is run by Bovas

Pages (2): 1 2 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average