Menu

North East Buses The Site Problems & Suggestions FAO: Admin...Dealing with bitching and fighting

FAO: Admin...Dealing with bitching and fighting

FAO: Admin...Dealing with bitching and fighting

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

08 Aug 2013, 12:09 pm #1
2. If no.1 gets nowhere, then a third party can step in as a mediator, this could be an admin or another member of the forum.

Forgot to say, I would happily anyone that's needed
Edited 08 Aug 2013, 12:12 pm by MrFozz.
MrFozz
08 Aug 2013, 12:09 pm #1

2. If no.1 gets nowhere, then a third party can step in as a mediator, this could be an admin or another member of the forum.

Forgot to say, I would happily anyone that's needed

Dan

Site Administrator

08 Aug 2013, 1:48 pm #2
You've lost me... What point are you trying to make?
Dan
08 Aug 2013, 1:48 pm #2

You've lost me... What point are you trying to make?

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

08 Aug 2013, 2:14 pm #3
(08 Aug 2013, 1:48 pm)Daniel You've lost me... What point are you trying to make?

Bollocks, must have deleted my original post by accident when editing it after originally posting it...

It was a couple of suggestions to deal with arguments, abuse and bullying, will look for what I originally posted if i have it saved on my phone, if not I will repost it, or PM you mate

Apologies for the confusion
Edited 08 Aug 2013, 2:16 pm by MrFozz.
MrFozz
08 Aug 2013, 2:14 pm #3

(08 Aug 2013, 1:48 pm)Daniel You've lost me... What point are you trying to make?

Bollocks, must have deleted my original post by accident when editing it after originally posting it...

It was a couple of suggestions to deal with arguments, abuse and bullying, will look for what I originally posted if i have it saved on my phone, if not I will repost it, or PM you mate

Apologies for the confusion

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

08 Aug 2013, 3:04 pm #4
The just of it was a couple of ideas to curb bitching and fighting and deletion policy

The original suggestion was along the lines of setting up a board specifically for arguments, I have been on lots of boards and even admin'd a few and most sites I have been on had what we called Fight Club or Bitches Corner, so that when threads degenerated, they would be moved to the fight club and we would always have a stern disclaimer on saying if offended, don't come on that board. I would do this in the past for one reason, too much censorship looks dictatorial...

Now to resolve issues, it should either be done between

1.each other via PM
2.if still not reselved a third party steps in to mediate a way out of arguments, either another member
3. If still not resolved Admin steps in regardless of
4. If it got this far, then a 3 strike policy should be implemented

1st Warning and one week moderation
2nd two week ban
3rd indefinite ban

I have only brought this up, as I have seen people dig at each other here, its not nice, its not right and it makes the whole site degenerate when boards turn to handbags.

I have faith in you guys as an admin team, I trust you will make the right decisions for the right reasons, youve done it long enough now.

You have something good here, this is the only place I have ever found dedicated to this specific topic.

Anyway, there u go pal, just a thought and trying to do my bit for the good of the site

Once again sorry for earlier confusion Big Grin
MrFozz
08 Aug 2013, 3:04 pm #4

The just of it was a couple of ideas to curb bitching and fighting and deletion policy

The original suggestion was along the lines of setting up a board specifically for arguments, I have been on lots of boards and even admin'd a few and most sites I have been on had what we called Fight Club or Bitches Corner, so that when threads degenerated, they would be moved to the fight club and we would always have a stern disclaimer on saying if offended, don't come on that board. I would do this in the past for one reason, too much censorship looks dictatorial...

Now to resolve issues, it should either be done between

1.each other via PM
2.if still not reselved a third party steps in to mediate a way out of arguments, either another member
3. If still not resolved Admin steps in regardless of
4. If it got this far, then a 3 strike policy should be implemented

1st Warning and one week moderation
2nd two week ban
3rd indefinite ban

I have only brought this up, as I have seen people dig at each other here, its not nice, its not right and it makes the whole site degenerate when boards turn to handbags.

I have faith in you guys as an admin team, I trust you will make the right decisions for the right reasons, youve done it long enough now.

You have something good here, this is the only place I have ever found dedicated to this specific topic.

Anyway, there u go pal, just a thought and trying to do my bit for the good of the site

Once again sorry for earlier confusion Big Grin

Michael

08 Aug 2013, 3:07 pm #5
I agree. Something should be done.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
08 Aug 2013, 3:07 pm #5

I agree. Something should be done.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

cbma06

08 Aug 2013, 3:26 pm #6
I think the Northeastbus Admin team have done a good job on all aspects on the site.

There should be no need for a separate thread of those bullying or argument issues etc.., otherwise it will encourage members more.

the revelant posts should be deleted and member warned the 1st time but if it continues then there should be banned from posting messages etc.., should be no second or third chances as this is not being at school.
Edited 08 Aug 2013, 3:27 pm by cbma06.

cbma06
08 Aug 2013, 3:26 pm #6

I think the Northeastbus Admin team have done a good job on all aspects on the site.

There should be no need for a separate thread of those bullying or argument issues etc.., otherwise it will encourage members more.

the revelant posts should be deleted and member warned the 1st time but if it continues then there should be banned from posting messages etc.., should be no second or third chances as this is not being at school.

Dan

Site Administrator

08 Aug 2013, 3:28 pm #7
As ever, I'm keen to know everyone's ideas... Jot them down in a post on this thread and the admins/moderators will have a talk about it later tonight.
Dan
08 Aug 2013, 3:28 pm #7

As ever, I'm keen to know everyone's ideas... Jot them down in a post on this thread and the admins/moderators will have a talk about it later tonight.

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

08 Aug 2013, 4:05 pm #8
(08 Aug 2013, 3:26 pm)cbma06 I think the Northeastbus Admin team have done a good job on all aspects on the site.

I think that too, setting up a forum is no easy task, and to keep it going is great, many new boards will only last a few months if there lucky.

I don't condone bullying and abuse, I have been through it myself, but I don't agree with a 1 strike policy, because I believe in at least a 2nd chances...

Whatever Admin comes up with will have my backing and support.

Not an easy task running a board or keeping everyone happy
Edited 08 Aug 2013, 4:05 pm by MrFozz.
MrFozz
08 Aug 2013, 4:05 pm #8

(08 Aug 2013, 3:26 pm)cbma06 I think the Northeastbus Admin team have done a good job on all aspects on the site.

I think that too, setting up a forum is no easy task, and to keep it going is great, many new boards will only last a few months if there lucky.

I don't condone bullying and abuse, I have been through it myself, but I don't agree with a 1 strike policy, because I believe in at least a 2nd chances...

Whatever Admin comes up with will have my backing and support.

Not an easy task running a board or keeping everyone happy

MurdnunoC

08 Aug 2013, 4:30 pm #9
As much as I would personally enjoy watching people fight and bitch in an area of the board dedicated to that specific purpose, overall, I feel that it would detract from the quality of the forum. I agree with the cbma06 that there should be no second or third chances. If the rules have been broken and people have been offended then the posts in question should be removed and the poster warned about their conduct. If the said poster is going to do something similar a second or third time then it's likely they're going to do it a fourth, fifth and sixth time too. It saves time just to get rid of them on their second offense.

However, I do think the decision to warn and/or ban someone should be open to debate. On other forums I have witnessed arbitrary banning by moderators for a number of silly reasons. I have also witnessed people reporting posts in an attempt to get someone they don't like reprimanded or banned. If you feel that strongly to complain about someones conduct, then you should be prepared to argue why you feel disciplinary action is in order.
Edited 08 Aug 2013, 4:39 pm by MurdnunoC.
MurdnunoC
08 Aug 2013, 4:30 pm #9

As much as I would personally enjoy watching people fight and bitch in an area of the board dedicated to that specific purpose, overall, I feel that it would detract from the quality of the forum. I agree with the cbma06 that there should be no second or third chances. If the rules have been broken and people have been offended then the posts in question should be removed and the poster warned about their conduct. If the said poster is going to do something similar a second or third time then it's likely they're going to do it a fourth, fifth and sixth time too. It saves time just to get rid of them on their second offense.

However, I do think the decision to warn and/or ban someone should be open to debate. On other forums I have witnessed arbitrary banning by moderators for a number of silly reasons. I have also witnessed people reporting posts in an attempt to get someone they don't like reprimanded or banned. If you feel that strongly to complain about someones conduct, then you should be prepared to argue why you feel disciplinary action is in order.

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

08 Aug 2013, 4:58 pm #10
I also like the idea of a fight club, it can bring out the worst in people and show them for how childish they are.

As for banning rule breakers, we should give people a chance to defend themselves, for example, I have a terrible habit of putting ny foot in it at times, and I can sometimes say things that would he deemed against the rules, does that mean I should therefore be slapped with a ban, even though I am overall decent person...

I suspect this could be an issue we will never fully agree on unanimously and we will discuss till were blue in the face
MrFozz
08 Aug 2013, 4:58 pm #10

I also like the idea of a fight club, it can bring out the worst in people and show them for how childish they are.

As for banning rule breakers, we should give people a chance to defend themselves, for example, I have a terrible habit of putting ny foot in it at times, and I can sometimes say things that would he deemed against the rules, does that mean I should therefore be slapped with a ban, even though I am overall decent person...

I suspect this could be an issue we will never fully agree on unanimously and we will discuss till were blue in the face

MurdnunoC

08 Aug 2013, 5:20 pm #11
(08 Aug 2013, 4:58 pm)fozzovmurton As for banning rule breakers, we should give people a chance to defend themselves, for example, I have a terrible habit of putting ny foot in it at times, and I can sometimes say things that would he deemed against the rules, does that mean I should therefore be slapped with a ban, even though I am overall decent person...

That's why I think it should be open to debate. Things are sometimes taken out of context and everybody has different opinions on what they deem to be offensive or disrespectful. I am very thick-skinned and I'm unlikely to take great offense about what anyone has to say about me on a message board. However there are others who seemingly take offense at the slightest thing regardless of its overall meaning. A bit of open debate, without descending into a bitchiness free-for-all, offers the chance for people to defend themselves and settle differences without the secrecy of the PM system which, sometimes, is open to abuse through tale telling and idle threats. It also offers the chance for constructive criticism meaning that lessons could be learnt, even if, at the end of it all, people agree to disagree.
MurdnunoC
08 Aug 2013, 5:20 pm #11

(08 Aug 2013, 4:58 pm)fozzovmurton As for banning rule breakers, we should give people a chance to defend themselves, for example, I have a terrible habit of putting ny foot in it at times, and I can sometimes say things that would he deemed against the rules, does that mean I should therefore be slapped with a ban, even though I am overall decent person...

That's why I think it should be open to debate. Things are sometimes taken out of context and everybody has different opinions on what they deem to be offensive or disrespectful. I am very thick-skinned and I'm unlikely to take great offense about what anyone has to say about me on a message board. However there are others who seemingly take offense at the slightest thing regardless of its overall meaning. A bit of open debate, without descending into a bitchiness free-for-all, offers the chance for people to defend themselves and settle differences without the secrecy of the PM system which, sometimes, is open to abuse through tale telling and idle threats. It also offers the chance for constructive criticism meaning that lessons could be learnt, even if, at the end of it all, people agree to disagree.

Adrian

09 Aug 2013, 7:53 pm #12
There's already a forum for arguments and bitching. It's called Facebook. Wink

Seriously though, I wouldn't want to see the site have such an area. We have some really interesting and flowing debate at the moment, and whilst I understand the whole membership will never 100% agree with each other, the majority of debate is constructive and it's clear that each others opinions are generally accepted.

I feel that examples of bitching and/or arguments are few and far between, and although I hate to speak on behalf of others, it'll be dealt with as soon as it falls outside the realms of reasonable debate.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
09 Aug 2013, 7:53 pm #12

There's already a forum for arguments and bitching. It's called Facebook. Wink

Seriously though, I wouldn't want to see the site have such an area. We have some really interesting and flowing debate at the moment, and whilst I understand the whole membership will never 100% agree with each other, the majority of debate is constructive and it's clear that each others opinions are generally accepted.

I feel that examples of bitching and/or arguments are few and far between, and although I hate to speak on behalf of others, it'll be dealt with as soon as it falls outside the realms of reasonable debate.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

09 Aug 2013, 11:57 pm #13
(09 Aug 2013, 7:53 pm)aureolin There's already a forum for arguments and bitching. It's called Facebook. Wink

Ah yes, the wonderful world of Faceache, add twatter to that as well Big Grin
MrFozz
09 Aug 2013, 11:57 pm #13

(09 Aug 2013, 7:53 pm)aureolin There's already a forum for arguments and bitching. It's called Facebook. Wink

Ah yes, the wonderful world of Faceache, add twatter to that as well Big Grin

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average