Menu

North East Buses The Canteen General off-topic chat Off-topic general thoughts/questions/observations thread

Off-topic general thoughts/questions/observations thread

Off-topic general thoughts/questions/observations thread

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

MurdnunoC

12 Aug 2013, 3:48 pm #1
Just following on from this conversation from the Washington Area Developments thread:

(11 Jul 2013, 7:31 pm)gtomlinson I find it odd that the Competition Commission ruled that ASDA could not have Birtley Netto and were forced to sell it to the Co-Op due to the locale of the Galleries Asda but it's ok for Morrisons to have a 30,000sq foot supermarket in Birtley (construction starting August) and plan for another 30,000sq foot in Washington Huh

Well, I had the pleasure of visiting Blyth today. I drove into the town centre from Cowpen and stopped to buy a drink from the large ASDA located there. Afterwards, I got back into my car to continue my journey down the A193 into Blyth. About 5 minutes down the road I noticed a smaller ASDA (ex-Netto) Supermarket and it got me thinking about the points raised in the quote above.

It does strike me as odd this ruling by the Competition Commission about Birtley as the ASDA at Cowpen is probably larger than the one at Washington and also the fact that there are two ASDA's positioned on the same stretch of road in the same town. So does anyone have any explanations or theories why two ASDAs can exist in Blyth, but not in Washington and Birtley?
Edited 12 Aug 2013, 4:55 pm by MurdnunoC.
MurdnunoC
12 Aug 2013, 3:48 pm #1

Just following on from this conversation from the Washington Area Developments thread:

(11 Jul 2013, 7:31 pm)gtomlinson I find it odd that the Competition Commission ruled that ASDA could not have Birtley Netto and were forced to sell it to the Co-Op due to the locale of the Galleries Asda but it's ok for Morrisons to have a 30,000sq foot supermarket in Birtley (construction starting August) and plan for another 30,000sq foot in Washington Huh

Well, I had the pleasure of visiting Blyth today. I drove into the town centre from Cowpen and stopped to buy a drink from the large ASDA located there. Afterwards, I got back into my car to continue my journey down the A193 into Blyth. About 5 minutes down the road I noticed a smaller ASDA (ex-Netto) Supermarket and it got me thinking about the points raised in the quote above.

It does strike me as odd this ruling by the Competition Commission about Birtley as the ASDA at Cowpen is probably larger than the one at Washington and also the fact that there are two ASDA's positioned on the same stretch of road in the same town. So does anyone have any explanations or theories why two ASDAs can exist in Blyth, but not in Washington and Birtley?

tyresmoke

12 Aug 2013, 4:11 pm #2
We have two Asda supermarkets within around a mile or 2 in Stockton, one being a former Netto store and one massive (24 hour) superstore just down the road in Portrack.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

tyresmoke
12 Aug 2013, 4:11 pm #2

We have two Asda supermarkets within around a mile or 2 in Stockton, one being a former Netto store and one massive (24 hour) superstore just down the road in Portrack.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

MurdnunoC

12 Aug 2013, 6:34 pm #3
There are probably many other examples like the two listed here. But I was just wondering how the Competition Commission becomes involved in the first place and how they deem certain supermarkets to be too close.

Another example of where a supermarket has apparently been knocked back by the Competition Commission is Tesco at the Metrocentre. For years they have been trying to open a store there, usually rumoured to be site of the ex-Marks and Spencer/ILVA store opposite ASDA or opposite the Coach Park on the wasteground as you're driving towards Costco. But the location of the Tesco in Gateshead high street (pre-revamp) has allegedly prevented this from happening. However, Tesco have finally managed to gain a presence at the Metrocentre. They're opening one of their Metro stores in the Blue Quadrant near the Interchange where Milligans used to be.
MurdnunoC
12 Aug 2013, 6:34 pm #3

There are probably many other examples like the two listed here. But I was just wondering how the Competition Commission becomes involved in the first place and how they deem certain supermarkets to be too close.

Another example of where a supermarket has apparently been knocked back by the Competition Commission is Tesco at the Metrocentre. For years they have been trying to open a store there, usually rumoured to be site of the ex-Marks and Spencer/ILVA store opposite ASDA or opposite the Coach Park on the wasteground as you're driving towards Costco. But the location of the Tesco in Gateshead high street (pre-revamp) has allegedly prevented this from happening. However, Tesco have finally managed to gain a presence at the Metrocentre. They're opening one of their Metro stores in the Blue Quadrant near the Interchange where Milligans used to be.

BJ10VUS

12 Aug 2013, 6:42 pm #4
(12 Aug 2013, 6:34 pm)AdamY There are probably many other examples like the two listed here. But I was just wondering how the Competition Commission becomes involved in the first place and how they deem certain supermarkets to be too close.

Hmmm... interesting. I imagine people wouldn't go out their way to get to it and it'll probably only be used by people already shopping in the Blue Mall at the Metrocentre or going for the bus.
BJ10VUS
12 Aug 2013, 6:42 pm #4

(12 Aug 2013, 6:34 pm)AdamY There are probably many other examples like the two listed here. But I was just wondering how the Competition Commission becomes involved in the first place and how they deem certain supermarkets to be too close.

Hmmm... interesting. I imagine people wouldn't go out their way to get to it and it'll probably only be used by people already shopping in the Blue Mall at the Metrocentre or going for the bus.

MurdnunoC

12 Aug 2013, 6:50 pm #5
(12 Aug 2013, 6:42 pm)BJ10VUS Hmmm... interesting. I imagine people wouldn't go out their way to get to it and it'll probably only be used by people already shopping in the Blue Mall at the Metrocentre or going for the bus.

I think that's the general idea. More like competition to WHSmiths than ASDA. I wonder how it will affect the business of that little pick and mix shop (if indeed it is still there). The cinema moving was bad enough but this?
MurdnunoC
12 Aug 2013, 6:50 pm #5

(12 Aug 2013, 6:42 pm)BJ10VUS Hmmm... interesting. I imagine people wouldn't go out their way to get to it and it'll probably only be used by people already shopping in the Blue Mall at the Metrocentre or going for the bus.

I think that's the general idea. More like competition to WHSmiths than ASDA. I wonder how it will affect the business of that little pick and mix shop (if indeed it is still there). The cinema moving was bad enough but this?

BJ10VUS

12 Aug 2013, 7:11 pm #6
(12 Aug 2013, 6:50 pm)AdamY I think that's the general idea. More like competition to WHSmiths than ASDA. I wonder how it will affect the business of that little pick and mix shop (if indeed it is still there). The cinema moving was bad enough but this?

I agree. Do you mean the one next door to Nando's?
BJ10VUS
12 Aug 2013, 7:11 pm #6

(12 Aug 2013, 6:50 pm)AdamY I think that's the general idea. More like competition to WHSmiths than ASDA. I wonder how it will affect the business of that little pick and mix shop (if indeed it is still there). The cinema moving was bad enough but this?

I agree. Do you mean the one next door to Nando's?

MurdnunoC

12 Aug 2013, 7:14 pm #7
Probably. Did Nandos used to be an Irish bar named 'Shenanigans' (and before that, the world famous 'Supertech').
MurdnunoC
12 Aug 2013, 7:14 pm #7

Probably. Did Nandos used to be an Irish bar named 'Shenanigans' (and before that, the world famous 'Supertech').

BJ10VUS

12 Aug 2013, 7:18 pm #8
(12 Aug 2013, 7:14 pm)AdamY Probably. Did Nandos used to be an Irish bar named 'Shenanigans' (and before that, the world famous 'Supertech').

Hmm... not too sure? It's where TK Maxx / 'Home Sense' shop is. I think the sweet shop might be called 'Sweets Galore?'
BJ10VUS
12 Aug 2013, 7:18 pm #8

(12 Aug 2013, 7:14 pm)AdamY Probably. Did Nandos used to be an Irish bar named 'Shenanigans' (and before that, the world famous 'Supertech').

Hmm... not too sure? It's where TK Maxx / 'Home Sense' shop is. I think the sweet shop might be called 'Sweets Galore?'

MurdnunoC

12 Aug 2013, 7:20 pm #9
Yes, I think you're right: Sweets Galore seems to ring a bell.
MurdnunoC
12 Aug 2013, 7:20 pm #9

Yes, I think you're right: Sweets Galore seems to ring a bell.

Adrian

12 Aug 2013, 7:27 pm #10
Sweets Galore is still there. Nandos and the unit next door (formerly an Italian restaurant) occupied the old Super Tech store. TK Maxx/Homesense is the old cinema foyer, along with some of the ground floor screens.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
12 Aug 2013, 7:27 pm #10

Sweets Galore is still there. Nandos and the unit next door (formerly an Italian restaurant) occupied the old Super Tech store. TK Maxx/Homesense is the old cinema foyer, along with some of the ground floor screens.

Andreos1

12 Aug 2013, 8:25 pm #11
Obviously there were massive games being played, but Tesco managed to get their new store built at Monkwearmouth, whilst Im presuming still operating the smaller store in The Bridges?

There were rumours that Morrisons were supposed to be building a store opposite Maingate at Team Valley, but that was knocked back on the basis of the Birtley store (which is closer to the store at Chester, all be it with a different local authority.)
Andreos1
12 Aug 2013, 8:25 pm #11

Obviously there were massive games being played, but Tesco managed to get their new store built at Monkwearmouth, whilst Im presuming still operating the smaller store in The Bridges?

There were rumours that Morrisons were supposed to be building a store opposite Maingate at Team Valley, but that was knocked back on the basis of the Birtley store (which is closer to the store at Chester, all be it with a different local authority.)

Adrian

12 Aug 2013, 8:31 pm #12
(12 Aug 2013, 8:25 pm)Andreos1 Obviously there were massive games being played, but Tesco managed to get their new store built at Monkwearmouth, whilst Im presuming still operating the smaller store in The Bridges?

I'd be very surprised if that wasn't included in the Vaux deal. It'd be poor negotiations on Tesco's side if they didn't have it included to be honest. They wanted the Vaux and to build a Tesco Extra, and in the end, they've got one less than a mile away.

Adrian
12 Aug 2013, 8:31 pm #12

(12 Aug 2013, 8:25 pm)Andreos1 Obviously there were massive games being played, but Tesco managed to get their new store built at Monkwearmouth, whilst Im presuming still operating the smaller store in The Bridges?

I'd be very surprised if that wasn't included in the Vaux deal. It'd be poor negotiations on Tesco's side if they didn't have it included to be honest. They wanted the Vaux and to build a Tesco Extra, and in the end, they've got one less than a mile away.

MurdnunoC

12 Aug 2013, 9:10 pm #13
Morrisons seem desperate to increase their market share in Tyne and Wear. Aside from the developments at Washington, Birtley and the Team Valley there's also the one at Blaydon (previously subjected to all sorts of planning delays/hurdles) which is currently under construction.
MurdnunoC
12 Aug 2013, 9:10 pm #13

Morrisons seem desperate to increase their market share in Tyne and Wear. Aside from the developments at Washington, Birtley and the Team Valley there's also the one at Blaydon (previously subjected to all sorts of planning delays/hurdles) which is currently under construction.

MurdnunoC

19 Aug 2013, 3:20 pm #14
I don't know if anybody watched the last series but the second series of Top Boy starts tomorrow at 9:00 pm. It was touted as being the UK's answer to The Wire by the press when the first series aired around two years ago. While I think that description was a little hyperbolic, it was a decent little drama nonetheless and I'm looking forward to seeing what the second series has in store.

Here are a couple of previews:

MurdnunoC
19 Aug 2013, 3:20 pm #14

I don't know if anybody watched the last series but the second series of Top Boy starts tomorrow at 9:00 pm. It was touted as being the UK's answer to The Wire by the press when the first series aired around two years ago. While I think that description was a little hyperbolic, it was a decent little drama nonetheless and I'm looking forward to seeing what the second series has in store.

Here are a couple of previews:

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

20 Aug 2013, 12:14 pm #15
Wonder if any brown envelopes involved when it came to Tescos presence in Durham, 3 stores within 2 miles

The Big one at Dragonville, then 2 within a a few hundred yards in the City Centre, on Saddler Street and North Road
MrFozz
20 Aug 2013, 12:14 pm #15

Wonder if any brown envelopes involved when it came to Tescos presence in Durham, 3 stores within 2 miles

The Big one at Dragonville, then 2 within a a few hundred yards in the City Centre, on Saddler Street and North Road

MurdnunoC

21 Aug 2013, 11:12 am #16
(20 Aug 2013, 12:14 pm)fozzovmurton Wonder if any brown envelopes involved when it came to Tescos presence in Durham, 3 stores within 2 miles

You could argue the same in Newcastle.

A decent sized one on Clayton Street; a Tesco Metro on Percy Street; an another one behind the Law Courts on the Quayside

Also add to that, one on Acorn Road, Jesmond; one on Chillingham Road, Heaton; and finally the mammoth Tesco Extra at Kingston Park.
MurdnunoC
21 Aug 2013, 11:12 am #16

(20 Aug 2013, 12:14 pm)fozzovmurton Wonder if any brown envelopes involved when it came to Tescos presence in Durham, 3 stores within 2 miles

You could argue the same in Newcastle.

A decent sized one on Clayton Street; a Tesco Metro on Percy Street; an another one behind the Law Courts on the Quayside

Also add to that, one on Acorn Road, Jesmond; one on Chillingham Road, Heaton; and finally the mammoth Tesco Extra at Kingston Park.

gtom

Banned

21 Aug 2013, 8:13 pm #17
a new Tesco opened in Newcastle yesterday on Savile Row Big Grin
gtom
21 Aug 2013, 8:13 pm #17

a new Tesco opened in Newcastle yesterday on Savile Row Big Grin

MurdnunoC

21 Aug 2013, 8:18 pm #18
(21 Aug 2013, 8:13 pm)gtomlinson a new Tesco opened in Newcastle yesterday on Savile Row Big Grin

Really?

It's just I was at the Central Library today and walked along Savile Row on my way back to where my car was parked in Shieldfield.

I never noticed anything new but, then again, I wasn't really paying much attention.
MurdnunoC
21 Aug 2013, 8:18 pm #18

(21 Aug 2013, 8:13 pm)gtomlinson a new Tesco opened in Newcastle yesterday on Savile Row Big Grin

Really?

It's just I was at the Central Library today and walked along Savile Row on my way back to where my car was parked in Shieldfield.

I never noticed anything new but, then again, I wasn't really paying much attention.

gtom

Banned

21 Aug 2013, 8:22 pm #19
(21 Aug 2013, 8:18 pm)AdamY Really?

[Image: tesco_express_saville_row_newcastle_2013...00x225.jpg]

Courtesy of graham soult, only photo I can find, an under construction Tesco

Plus there's one planned for Grainger Street because you can't have enough Tesco's Big Grin
gtom
21 Aug 2013, 8:22 pm #19

(21 Aug 2013, 8:18 pm)AdamY Really?

[Image: tesco_express_saville_row_newcastle_2013...00x225.jpg]

Courtesy of graham soult, only photo I can find, an under construction Tesco

Plus there's one planned for Grainger Street because you can't have enough Tesco's Big Grin

Andreos1

20 Nov 2013, 10:58 pm #20
Not getting on my political high horse, asking to donate or pledge funds - but worth keeping an eye on as the film develops.

One thing I will mention is that the North East would be a different place if the outcome of the 1984 strike ended differently.

http://www.sponsume.com/project/still-enemy-within

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
20 Nov 2013, 10:58 pm #20

Not getting on my political high horse, asking to donate or pledge funds - but worth keeping an eye on as the film develops.

One thing I will mention is that the North East would be a different place if the outcome of the 1984 strike ended differently.

http://www.sponsume.com/project/still-enemy-within

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average