North East Buses The Bus Scene Elsewhere Bus Operators Yorkshire Bus Operations

Yorkshire Bus Operations

Yorkshire Bus Operations

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (45) Previous 142 43 44 45 Next
Andreos1

14 Jul 2022, 10:29 pm #841
https://www.thisisthecoast.co.uk/news/lo...nd-whitby/

Transdev launch Whitby - Scarborough service.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
14 Jul 2022, 10:29 pm #841

https://www.thisisthecoast.co.uk/news/lo...nd-whitby/

Transdev launch Whitby - Scarborough service.

04 Aug 2022, 6:02 pm #842
CT Plus Yorkshire and Powell's now seem to be giving up as well.

https://www.route-one.net/news/hct-group...yorkshire/

[Image: imageHandler.php?user=wibblejunior]
wibblejunior
04 Aug 2022, 6:02 pm #842

CT Plus Yorkshire and Powell's now seem to be giving up as well.

https://www.route-one.net/news/hct-group...yorkshire/

14 Sep 2022, 8:38 pm #843
[Image: 23189b911d125dbc23c8d8efd1ac6bdf.jpg]

Not good for people who rely on buses to get to work

Sent from my iPhone 13 Pro using Tapatalk
TEN 6083
14 Sep 2022, 8:38 pm #843

[Image: 23189b911d125dbc23c8d8efd1ac6bdf.jpg]

Dan

Site Administrator

15 Sep 2022, 4:42 am #844
(14 Sep 2022, 8:38 pm)TEN 6083 [Image: 23189b911d125dbc23c8d8efd1ac6bdf.jpg]

Presumably they’re running a Sunday service and none of their routes run on Sundays? I’d hazard a guess most are tendered too and it may be a decision that the local authority has made rather than the company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan
15 Sep 2022, 4:42 am #844

(14 Sep 2022, 8:38 pm)TEN 6083 [Image: 23189b911d125dbc23c8d8efd1ac6bdf.jpg]

Presumably they’re running a Sunday service and none of their routes run on Sundays? I’d hazard a guess most are tendered too and it may be a decision that the local authority has made rather than the company.

15 Sep 2022, 5:05 am #845
(15 Sep 2022, 4:42 am)Dan Presumably they’re running a Sunday service and none of their routes run on Sundays? I’d hazard a guess most are tendered too and it may be a decision that the local authority has made rather than the company.

If the decision is made by the LA, then fair enough (the LA is wrong though!), but if they're deciding to run a Sunday service, and the Sunday service happens to literally not exist. Then that is a stupid and ridiculous decision!

People on here seem to bang on about buses being a public service, and that is a primary example of not serving the public!
streetdeckfan
15 Sep 2022, 5:05 am #845

(15 Sep 2022, 4:42 am)Dan Presumably they’re running a Sunday service and none of their routes run on Sundays? I’d hazard a guess most are tendered too and it may be a decision that the local authority has made rather than the company.

If the decision is made by the LA, then fair enough (the LA is wrong though!), but if they're deciding to run a Sunday service, and the Sunday service happens to literally not exist. Then that is a stupid and ridiculous decision!

People on here seem to bang on about buses being a public service, and that is a primary example of not serving the public!

Jimmi

15 Sep 2022, 7:49 am #846
(15 Sep 2022, 5:05 am)streetdeckfan If the decision is made by the LA, then fair enough (the LA is wrong though!), but if they're deciding to run a Sunday service, and the Sunday service happens to literally not exist. Then that is a stupid and ridiculous decision!

I'm guessing the fact that the day of the funeral has been classed as a bank holiday has something to do it? No service is the default for Connexionsbuses on Bank Holidays as they have no Sunday service.

For the most part it's a Sunday/Bank Holiday service across the country on the day of the funeral so we won't be seeing anything from the likes of Hodgsons & Scarlet Band either.

There's some exceptions however, for example DalesBus are only running their year round Sunday services whilst Moorsbus aren't running at all.
Jimmi
15 Sep 2022, 7:49 am #846

(15 Sep 2022, 5:05 am)streetdeckfan If the decision is made by the LA, then fair enough (the LA is wrong though!), but if they're deciding to run a Sunday service, and the Sunday service happens to literally not exist. Then that is a stupid and ridiculous decision!

I'm guessing the fact that the day of the funeral has been classed as a bank holiday has something to do it? No service is the default for Connexionsbuses on Bank Holidays as they have no Sunday service.

For the most part it's a Sunday/Bank Holiday service across the country on the day of the funeral so we won't be seeing anything from the likes of Hodgsons & Scarlet Band either.

There's some exceptions however, for example DalesBus are only running their year round Sunday services whilst Moorsbus aren't running at all.

15 Sep 2022, 1:04 pm #847

According to Bustimes the 64 in Leeds does run on a Sunday, but that seems to be the only one . https://bustimes.org/services/64-leeds-a...2022-09-18

wibblejunior
15 Sep 2022, 1:04 pm #847

According to Bustimes the 64 in Leeds does run on a Sunday, but that seems to be the only one . https://bustimes.org/services/64-leeds-a...2022-09-18

Kuyoyo

15 Sep 2022, 1:13 pm #848
(15 Sep 2022, 1:04 pm)wibblejunior According to Bustimes the 64 in Leeds does run on a Sunday, but that seems to be the only one . https://bustimes.org/services/64-leeds-a...2022-09-18

Connexions Buses operate the Monday to Saturday daytime journeys on the 64 - the evening and Sunday trips are operated by First Leeds from their Bramley depot (standalone on evenings, interworking with the 15 on Sundays). Indeed, Connexions are technically operating the daytime journeys under contract to First - and have been since they took over.
Kuyoyo
15 Sep 2022, 1:13 pm #848

(15 Sep 2022, 1:04 pm)wibblejunior According to Bustimes the 64 in Leeds does run on a Sunday, but that seems to be the only one . https://bustimes.org/services/64-leeds-a...2022-09-18

Connexions Buses operate the Monday to Saturday daytime journeys on the 64 - the evening and Sunday trips are operated by First Leeds from their Bramley depot (standalone on evenings, interworking with the 15 on Sundays). Indeed, Connexions are technically operating the daytime journeys under contract to First - and have been since they took over.

Adrian

22 Sep 2022, 9:52 am #849
https://twitter.com/cityzapbus/status/15...8908770304

#Cityzap zaps for the final time on 19 Nov.

We've carried 1m customers since we started, but sadly the effects of COVID and rising costs mean that #Cityzap is no longer sustainable.

We hope to see you on #Coastliner which will continue as usual.

? https://bityl.co/Ecdy

More mythical 'desire' not working out then...?

1 million customers over 6 years isn't anything to shout home about. Working on a rough estimated average of 38 trips a day over 363 operating days per year, it's less than 13 customers per trip.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
22 Sep 2022, 9:52 am #849

https://twitter.com/cityzapbus/status/15...8908770304

#Cityzap zaps for the final time on 19 Nov.

We've carried 1m customers since we started, but sadly the effects of COVID and rising costs mean that #Cityzap is no longer sustainable.

We hope to see you on #Coastliner which will continue as usual.

? https://bityl.co/Ecdy

1 million customers over 6 years isn't anything to shout home about. Working on a rough estimated average of 38 trips a day over 363 operating days per year, it's less than 13 customers per trip.

Unber43

22 Sep 2022, 10:09 am #850
(22 Sep 2022, 9:52 am)Adrian https://twitter.com/cityzapbus/status/15...8908770304

GNE E400MMC is about 73 seats, so to assume the CityZaps is 65.

So each customer has on average 5 seats, for a passenger thats amazing, finically for the company not so much
Unber43
22 Sep 2022, 10:09 am #850

(22 Sep 2022, 9:52 am)Adrian https://twitter.com/cityzapbus/status/15...8908770304

GNE E400MMC is about 73 seats, so to assume the CityZaps is 65.

So each customer has on average 5 seats, for a passenger thats amazing, finically for the company not so much

Andreos1

22 Sep 2022, 11:29 am #851

I thought Covid would get the blame. 

Even if you divide it up over the 4 and bit years prior to Covid, they're hardly earth shattering numbers.

Andreos1
22 Sep 2022, 11:29 am #851

I thought Covid would get the blame. 

Even if you divide it up over the 4 and bit years prior to Covid, they're hardly earth shattering numbers.

22 Sep 2022, 12:15 pm #852
According to buslistsontheweb the Cityzap MMC's seating layouts are H41/27F, which would be 68 seats in total.

wibblejunior
22 Sep 2022, 12:15 pm #852

According to buslistsontheweb the Cityzap MMC's seating layouts are H41/27F, which would be 68 seats in total.

Adrian

22 Sep 2022, 1:32 pm #853
(22 Sep 2022, 11:29 am)Andreos1 I thought Covid would get the blame. 

But we're constantly told that these are creating desire, so where are all these folk full of desire to get on board a bus crafted by everyone's favourite design agency?

Passenger numbers have been shrinking for years, as we both know, but covid remains the excuse of choice in the absence of any creativity to achieve growth.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Adrian
22 Sep 2022, 1:32 pm #853

(22 Sep 2022, 11:29 am)Andreos1 I thought Covid would get the blame. 

But we're constantly told that these are creating desire, so where are all these folk full of desire to get on board a bus crafted by everyone's favourite design agency?

Passenger numbers have been shrinking for years, as we both know, but covid remains the excuse of choice in the absence of any creativity to achieve growth.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Jimmi

22 Sep 2022, 5:12 pm #854
(22 Sep 2022, 1:32 pm)Adrian But we're constantly told that these are creating desire, so where are all these folk full of desire to get on board a bus crafted by everyone's favourite design agency?

COVID was likely one of the final nail in the coffin for ZAP (and many other services) although from my experiences from using the service over the years it's never been particularly busy, always carried in the region of 20-30 pax max whenever I've caught it and at least 80% of those will have been concession pass holders, may as well have bought single deckers if they felt the need to buy new stock as I think I've only seen it remotely close to full once or twice. The post-COVID reduction in frequency from half hourly to hourly certainly won't have helped bring the passengers back either.

I've always thought of CITYZAP as more of a vanity project to Hornby than anything else, I feel some other companies would've binned off it ages ago and not bought specifically high spec new buses for it. I do wonder if ZAP would've continued for much longer had the opportunity to take over operation of the X98/X99 not come up especially as they can directly redeploy all the buses from ZAP onto it.

I still feel bus companies are relying too heavily on route branding, fancy timetable leaflets and gimmicks to try and and gain/retain passengers which do work to a point but it can only go so far and I see argubly little benefit to forking out for all these things like outside design agencies to design liveries and feel the money could be better utilised elsewhere.

(22 Sep 2022, 12:15 pm)wibblejunior According to buslistsontheweb the Cityzap MMC's seating layouts are H41/27F, which would be 68 seats in total.

Sounds right as it doesn't have anywhere near as many single seats as the B7TLs did.
Jimmi
22 Sep 2022, 5:12 pm #854

(22 Sep 2022, 1:32 pm)Adrian But we're constantly told that these are creating desire, so where are all these folk full of desire to get on board a bus crafted by everyone's favourite design agency?

COVID was likely one of the final nail in the coffin for ZAP (and many other services) although from my experiences from using the service over the years it's never been particularly busy, always carried in the region of 20-30 pax max whenever I've caught it and at least 80% of those will have been concession pass holders, may as well have bought single deckers if they felt the need to buy new stock as I think I've only seen it remotely close to full once or twice. The post-COVID reduction in frequency from half hourly to hourly certainly won't have helped bring the passengers back either.

I've always thought of CITYZAP as more of a vanity project to Hornby than anything else, I feel some other companies would've binned off it ages ago and not bought specifically high spec new buses for it. I do wonder if ZAP would've continued for much longer had the opportunity to take over operation of the X98/X99 not come up especially as they can directly redeploy all the buses from ZAP onto it.

I still feel bus companies are relying too heavily on route branding, fancy timetable leaflets and gimmicks to try and and gain/retain passengers which do work to a point but it can only go so far and I see argubly little benefit to forking out for all these things like outside design agencies to design liveries and feel the money could be better utilised elsewhere.

(22 Sep 2022, 12:15 pm)wibblejunior According to buslistsontheweb the Cityzap MMC's seating layouts are H41/27F, which would be 68 seats in total.

Sounds right as it doesn't have anywhere near as many single seats as the B7TLs did.

Storx

22 Sep 2022, 6:51 pm #855
(22 Sep 2022, 5:12 pm)Jimmi COVID was likely one of the final nail in the coffin for ZAP (and many other services) although from my experiences from using the service over the years it's never been particularly busy, always carried in the region of 20-30 pax max whenever I've caught it and at least 80% of those will have been concession pass holders, may as well have bought single deckers if they felt the need to buy new stock as I think I've only seen it remotely close to full once or twice. The post-COVID reduction in frequency from half hourly to hourly certainly won't have helped bring the passengers back either.

Personally I don't actually think Covid was here.

It was the reduction in some fares with Northern and the brand new Class 195 trains that put the nail in imo. You can use the York to Blackpool service which takes 32 minutes (twice as quick) for £1 more paying full price off peak and if you buy advance tickets, heck even buying a ticket for 7am tomorrow now or even in 15 minutes from now it's only £6 for a single which works out the same price.

There's no reason for anyone to use it quite literally unless you like sitting on buses for the hell of it especially considering it stops nowhere between York and Leeds and arguably the train station is more central than the bus station in Leeds anyway and the Class 195 have everything you get on any bus plus a toilet, better ride, no traffic, tables and so on.

It's very different to Newcastle to Stockton / Middlesbrough up here where it's Class 156 trains and they go for a merry jaunt around the world with capacity problems.
Storx
22 Sep 2022, 6:51 pm #855

(22 Sep 2022, 5:12 pm)Jimmi COVID was likely one of the final nail in the coffin for ZAP (and many other services) although from my experiences from using the service over the years it's never been particularly busy, always carried in the region of 20-30 pax max whenever I've caught it and at least 80% of those will have been concession pass holders, may as well have bought single deckers if they felt the need to buy new stock as I think I've only seen it remotely close to full once or twice. The post-COVID reduction in frequency from half hourly to hourly certainly won't have helped bring the passengers back either.

Personally I don't actually think Covid was here.

It was the reduction in some fares with Northern and the brand new Class 195 trains that put the nail in imo. You can use the York to Blackpool service which takes 32 minutes (twice as quick) for £1 more paying full price off peak and if you buy advance tickets, heck even buying a ticket for 7am tomorrow now or even in 15 minutes from now it's only £6 for a single which works out the same price.

There's no reason for anyone to use it quite literally unless you like sitting on buses for the hell of it especially considering it stops nowhere between York and Leeds and arguably the train station is more central than the bus station in Leeds anyway and the Class 195 have everything you get on any bus plus a toilet, better ride, no traffic, tables and so on.

It's very different to Newcastle to Stockton / Middlesbrough up here where it's Class 156 trains and they go for a merry jaunt around the world with capacity problems.

Adrian

22 Sep 2022, 7:06 pm #856
(22 Sep 2022, 5:12 pm)Jimmi I've always thought of CITYZAP as more of a vanity project to Hornby than anything else, I feel some other companies would've binned off it ages ago and not bought specifically high spec new buses for it. I do wonder if ZAP would've continued for much longer had the opportunity to take over operation of the X98/X99 not come up especially as they can directly redeploy all the buses from ZAP onto it.

I think he turned it into a vanity project, like he does with most things, but it doesn't need to be anything more complicated than a basic York to Leeds express service - a low cost alternative to the train. I really struggle at how they've managed to get this one wrong.

Adrian
22 Sep 2022, 7:06 pm #856

(22 Sep 2022, 5:12 pm)Jimmi I've always thought of CITYZAP as more of a vanity project to Hornby than anything else, I feel some other companies would've binned off it ages ago and not bought specifically high spec new buses for it. I do wonder if ZAP would've continued for much longer had the opportunity to take over operation of the X98/X99 not come up especially as they can directly redeploy all the buses from ZAP onto it.

I think he turned it into a vanity project, like he does with most things, but it doesn't need to be anything more complicated than a basic York to Leeds express service - a low cost alternative to the train. I really struggle at how they've managed to get this one wrong.

Unber43

22 Sep 2022, 7:11 pm #857
(22 Sep 2022, 6:51 pm)Storx Personally I don't actually think Covid was here.

From the reactions I see on FB it seems that people prefer CityZap than the trains which are apparently "scruffy". However I don't know if that was aimed at the 195. 

For me I would probably pick the train as the CityZap doesn't run that late or early tbh. The train is probably more convenient I am not sure of the frequency but I am pretty sure there will be atleast 2-3x trains an hour which have plenty of carriages.
Unber43
22 Sep 2022, 7:11 pm #857

(22 Sep 2022, 6:51 pm)Storx Personally I don't actually think Covid was here.

From the reactions I see on FB it seems that people prefer CityZap than the trains which are apparently "scruffy". However I don't know if that was aimed at the 195. 

For me I would probably pick the train as the CityZap doesn't run that late or early tbh. The train is probably more convenient I am not sure of the frequency but I am pretty sure there will be atleast 2-3x trains an hour which have plenty of carriages.

Storx

22 Sep 2022, 8:01 pm #858
(22 Sep 2022, 7:11 pm)Unber43 From the reactions I see on FB it seems that people prefer CityZap than the trains which are apparently "scruffy". However I don't know if that was aimed at the 195. 

Believe it's just hourly the Blackpool to York train, there is other services but they're quite expensive the TPE / XC trains as it's more about long distance travel so they try to price local traffic off.

Probably people who haven't used them, believe it used to be Class 158 trains before hand which even then aren't too bad tbh.
Storx
22 Sep 2022, 8:01 pm #858

(22 Sep 2022, 7:11 pm)Unber43 From the reactions I see on FB it seems that people prefer CityZap than the trains which are apparently "scruffy". However I don't know if that was aimed at the 195. 

Believe it's just hourly the Blackpool to York train, there is other services but they're quite expensive the TPE / XC trains as it's more about long distance travel so they try to price local traffic off.

Probably people who haven't used them, believe it used to be Class 158 trains before hand which even then aren't too bad tbh.

Unber43

22 Sep 2022, 9:18 pm #859
(22 Sep 2022, 8:01 pm)Storx Believe it's just hourly the Blackpool to York train, there is other services but they're quite expensive the TPE / XC trains as it's more about long distance travel so they try to price local traffic off.

Tbf Refurbed 156 & 158's aren't bad, its just that they need 4 cars and not 2 car trains. 

The worst thing really about the train is the breaking the sound is awful.

Just looking on trainline now, there are 8 trains between 6:45 & 7:45 (Monday 26th September) between Leeds & York, they're all under £8, except for the 7:44 which is £8.80. Northern, Cross Country & TPE
Unber43
22 Sep 2022, 9:18 pm #859

(22 Sep 2022, 8:01 pm)Storx Believe it's just hourly the Blackpool to York train, there is other services but they're quite expensive the TPE / XC trains as it's more about long distance travel so they try to price local traffic off.

Tbf Refurbed 156 & 158's aren't bad, its just that they need 4 cars and not 2 car trains. 

The worst thing really about the train is the breaking the sound is awful.

Just looking on trainline now, there are 8 trains between 6:45 & 7:45 (Monday 26th September) between Leeds & York, they're all under £8, except for the 7:44 which is £8.80. Northern, Cross Country & TPE

22 Sep 2022, 9:40 pm #860
When people compare the cost of the train and the bus, they always seem to assume that everyone lives within walking distance, and travels to somewhere within walking distance, of a train station, which is unlikely to be the case.
Which means they're probably going to have to use another form of transport to get to the train and/or when they get to their destination.

Just as a little example, if I were to travel to Darlington, on paper it looks like taking the train from Bishop is the best option, it takes ~25 minutes compared to ~45 minutes on the bus, and for only 20p more than the bus! That's a bargain for the amount of time saved.

But, I happen to live 1.5 miles from the train station, that's a half hour walk. But, the bus to the train station only takes 5-10 minutes. However, that adds an extra £2.50 onto the cost. So, if we assume that the times line up (which they don't), then I'm paying an extra £2.70 to save 15-20 minutes.

But wait, there's more! The train station in Darlington is a 10 minute walk from where I'd want to be! So, I'm only saving 5-10 minutes, and I've had to walk half a mile!

In reality, end to end taking the 'faster' option actually takes an extra 15 minutes, and costs an extra £2.70.
streetdeckfan
22 Sep 2022, 9:40 pm #860

When people compare the cost of the train and the bus, they always seem to assume that everyone lives within walking distance, and travels to somewhere within walking distance, of a train station, which is unlikely to be the case.
Which means they're probably going to have to use another form of transport to get to the train and/or when they get to their destination.

Just as a little example, if I were to travel to Darlington, on paper it looks like taking the train from Bishop is the best option, it takes ~25 minutes compared to ~45 minutes on the bus, and for only 20p more than the bus! That's a bargain for the amount of time saved.

But, I happen to live 1.5 miles from the train station, that's a half hour walk. But, the bus to the train station only takes 5-10 minutes. However, that adds an extra £2.50 onto the cost. So, if we assume that the times line up (which they don't), then I'm paying an extra £2.70 to save 15-20 minutes.

But wait, there's more! The train station in Darlington is a 10 minute walk from where I'd want to be! So, I'm only saving 5-10 minutes, and I've had to walk half a mile!

In reality, end to end taking the 'faster' option actually takes an extra 15 minutes, and costs an extra £2.70.

Pages (45) Previous 142 43 44 45 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average