Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Arriva North East Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2015

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2015

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2015

• 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average

Pages (23) Previous 1 2 323 Next
tyresmoke

01 Jan 2015, 4:19 pm #21
The high back version of the Civic V2 is the V3 with the headrest added.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

tyresmoke
01 Jan 2015, 4:19 pm #21

The high back version of the Civic V2 is the V3 with the headrest added.

L469 YVK

01 Jan 2015, 6:44 pm #22
Here's a question. What are Arriva going to do when their 57 reg Sapphire E400 examples begin to age both interior wise and mechanically and when do you think Arriva will replace them?
L469 YVK
01 Jan 2015, 6:44 pm #22

Here's a question. What are Arriva going to do when their 57 reg Sapphire E400 examples begin to age both interior wise and mechanically and when do you think Arriva will replace them?

Tommy1581

01 Jan 2015, 6:47 pm #23
(01 Jan 2015, 6:44 pm)DaveyBowyer Here's a question. What are Arriva going to do when their 57 reg Sapphire E400 examples begin to age both interior wise and mechanically and when do you think Arriva will replace them?

2022-ish and hopefully replace them with more ADL E400s probably new or if they buy any more towards 2022 refurbish them.
Edited 01 Jan 2015, 6:50 pm by Tommy1581.
Tommy1581
01 Jan 2015, 6:47 pm #23

(01 Jan 2015, 6:44 pm)DaveyBowyer Here's a question. What are Arriva going to do when their 57 reg Sapphire E400 examples begin to age both interior wise and mechanically and when do you think Arriva will replace them?

2022-ish and hopefully replace them with more ADL E400s probably new or if they buy any more towards 2022 refurbish them.

L469 YVK

01 Jan 2015, 7:04 pm #24
2022? If they did that, they'd be in major trouble and could be wiped out by other operators (not just GNE) no matter how much they'd try and protect the Northumberland network.
L469 YVK
01 Jan 2015, 7:04 pm #24

2022? If they did that, they'd be in major trouble and could be wiped out by other operators (not just GNE) no matter how much they'd try and protect the Northumberland network.

Dan

Site Administrator

01 Jan 2015, 7:10 pm #25
(01 Jan 2015, 7:04 pm)DaveyBowyer 2022? If they did that, they'd be in major trouble and could be wiped out by other operators (not just GNE) no matter how much they'd try and protect the Northumberland network.

By 2022, I'd imagine that the provision of Wi-Fi, Next Stop Announcements, and plug sockets will become standard on all buses (a lot of bus operators have already added Wi-Fi to a large amount of their fleets). I don't think it'd be irrational to suggest that they'll be moved off the X21/X22 services in a couple of years time, and moved to a lower rank on the hierarchy of Arriva's bus services.

As 57-reg vehicles, these vehicles should in fact be disposed of in 2022.
Dan
01 Jan 2015, 7:10 pm #25

(01 Jan 2015, 7:04 pm)DaveyBowyer 2022? If they did that, they'd be in major trouble and could be wiped out by other operators (not just GNE) no matter how much they'd try and protect the Northumberland network.

By 2022, I'd imagine that the provision of Wi-Fi, Next Stop Announcements, and plug sockets will become standard on all buses (a lot of bus operators have already added Wi-Fi to a large amount of their fleets). I don't think it'd be irrational to suggest that they'll be moved off the X21/X22 services in a couple of years time, and moved to a lower rank on the hierarchy of Arriva's bus services.

mb134

01 Jan 2015, 8:40 pm #26
I'd reckon, if the X21/22 has seen growth in line with what some of the other Sapphire routes have, they'll get new buses within a couple more years. Can't remember which route it is but I'm positive I've saw a comment or something somewhere stating that the older E400's used on said route are being replaced this year (think it might be the 280 route).
mb134
01 Jan 2015, 8:40 pm #26

I'd reckon, if the X21/22 has seen growth in line with what some of the other Sapphire routes have, they'll get new buses within a couple more years. Can't remember which route it is but I'm positive I've saw a comment or something somewhere stating that the older E400's used on said route are being replaced this year (think it might be the 280 route).

mb134

01 Jan 2015, 8:46 pm #27
(01 Jan 2015, 4:12 pm)Kuyoyo The Leicester B7TLs have standard Civic V2 seats on both deck. These are the same as those fitted to the standard vehicles here in the north east (the Pulsars and un-refurbished Geminis). The Welsh E400s have the same seats as the North East examples on the lower deck but have the EGA Relax Classic seating on the upper deck.
Ah right okay Smile I'd just typed "sapphire gemini" and saw a photo of the high backed seats downstairs must have been an E400 or something instead then, probably should have read the description or had a closer look before assuming it was one of the B7's  Rolleyes
mb134
01 Jan 2015, 8:46 pm #27

(01 Jan 2015, 4:12 pm)Kuyoyo The Leicester B7TLs have standard Civic V2 seats on both deck. These are the same as those fitted to the standard vehicles here in the north east (the Pulsars and un-refurbished Geminis). The Welsh E400s have the same seats as the North East examples on the lower deck but have the EGA Relax Classic seating on the upper deck.
Ah right okay Smile I'd just typed "sapphire gemini" and saw a photo of the high backed seats downstairs must have been an E400 or something instead then, probably should have read the description or had a closer look before assuming it was one of the B7's  Rolleyes

9920up

01 Jan 2015, 9:04 pm #28
(01 Jan 2015, 7:10 pm)Dan By 2022, I'd imagine that the provision of Wi-Fi, Next Stop Announcements, and plug sockets will become standard on all buses (a lot of bus operators have already added Wi-Fi to a large amount of their fleets). I don't think it'd be irrational to suggest that they'll be moved off the X21/X22 services in a couple of years time, and moved to a lower rank on the hierarchy of Arriva's bus services.

Interesting views. Certainly the likes of sapphire  shouldn't  be expected to be run with aged stock, not as a premier  service.  It does raise other policy questions though. For example the omni city's for the X66  These are nigh on 10 at the point of entry onto a high speed front line MAX service. Maybe their time should be limited as well
Also,  bear in mind that ANE ensure book values are always nil and some more before vehicles are withdrawn. Recent Darts and Prestige examples have all only gone after 17 or more years. 
9920up
01 Jan 2015, 9:04 pm #28

(01 Jan 2015, 7:10 pm)Dan By 2022, I'd imagine that the provision of Wi-Fi, Next Stop Announcements, and plug sockets will become standard on all buses (a lot of bus operators have already added Wi-Fi to a large amount of their fleets). I don't think it'd be irrational to suggest that they'll be moved off the X21/X22 services in a couple of years time, and moved to a lower rank on the hierarchy of Arriva's bus services.

Interesting views. Certainly the likes of sapphire  shouldn't  be expected to be run with aged stock, not as a premier  service.  It does raise other policy questions though. For example the omni city's for the X66  These are nigh on 10 at the point of entry onto a high speed front line MAX service. Maybe their time should be limited as well
Also,  bear in mind that ANE ensure book values are always nil and some more before vehicles are withdrawn. Recent Darts and Prestige examples have all only gone after 17 or more years. 

L469 YVK

01 Jan 2015, 9:31 pm #29
(01 Jan 2015, 9:04 pm)9920up Interesting views. Certainly the likes of sapphire  shouldn't  be expected to be run with aged stock, not as a premier  service.  It does raise other policy questions though. For example the omni city's for the X66  These are nigh on 10 at the point of entry onto a high speed front line MAX service. Maybe their time should be limited as well

Shame they didn't do that with the P4xx CCU Palatine 2's even though they weren't DDA compliant. I'd happily ride on one of those any day over a Sapphire E400 or Go North East spec B9TL (I do like B9s though, but the Palatine is another kettle of fish)! Volvo should have kept that D10 engine going but made it a bit more efficient and refined. Therefore, they could have catered for all markets from the rural roads of Northumberland to the polluted Hong Hong.
Edited 01 Jan 2015, 9:32 pm by L469 YVK.
L469 YVK
01 Jan 2015, 9:31 pm #29

(01 Jan 2015, 9:04 pm)9920up Interesting views. Certainly the likes of sapphire  shouldn't  be expected to be run with aged stock, not as a premier  service.  It does raise other policy questions though. For example the omni city's for the X66  These are nigh on 10 at the point of entry onto a high speed front line MAX service. Maybe their time should be limited as well

Shame they didn't do that with the P4xx CCU Palatine 2's even though they weren't DDA compliant. I'd happily ride on one of those any day over a Sapphire E400 or Go North East spec B9TL (I do like B9s though, but the Palatine is another kettle of fish)! Volvo should have kept that D10 engine going but made it a bit more efficient and refined. Therefore, they could have catered for all markets from the rural roads of Northumberland to the polluted Hong Hong.

mb134

01 Jan 2015, 9:38 pm #30
(01 Jan 2015, 9:31 pm)DaveyBowyer Shame they didn't do that with the P4xx CCU Palatine 2's even though they weren't DDA compliant. I'd happily ride on one of those any day over a Sapphire E400 or Go North East spec B9TL (I do like B9s though, but the Palatine is another kettle of fish)! Volvo should have kept that D10 engine going but made it a bit more efficient and refined. Therefore, they could have catered for all markets from the rural roads of Northumberland to the polluted Hong Hong.
What about a Sapphire Palatine 2 Olympian.... Tongue 
mb134
01 Jan 2015, 9:38 pm #30

(01 Jan 2015, 9:31 pm)DaveyBowyer Shame they didn't do that with the P4xx CCU Palatine 2's even though they weren't DDA compliant. I'd happily ride on one of those any day over a Sapphire E400 or Go North East spec B9TL (I do like B9s though, but the Palatine is another kettle of fish)! Volvo should have kept that D10 engine going but made it a bit more efficient and refined. Therefore, they could have catered for all markets from the rural roads of Northumberland to the polluted Hong Hong.
What about a Sapphire Palatine 2 Olympian.... Tongue 

tyresmoke

01 Jan 2015, 9:42 pm #31
(01 Jan 2015, 8:40 pm)mb134 I'd reckon, if the X21/22 has seen growth in line with what some of the other Sapphire routes have, they'll get new buses within a couple more years. Can't remember which route it is but I'm positive I've saw a comment or something somewhere stating that the older E400's used on said route are being replaced this year (think it might be the 280 route).

Sure is - the 280 Aylesbury - Oxford is getting a batch of new Enviro 400's this year. More to do with the fact that the current stock is too old for the Oxford LEZ. The current E400's are heading to Hemel Hempstead for use on service 320 to Rickmansworth, alongside new Streetlites on service 100/101 Luton - Stevenage.

MAX is a concept designed by North East & Yorkshire to improve inter-urban routes. It will soon become standard across longer distance routes I am sure, and it's already been adopted by Wales, Shires and I understand soon Midlands too. They're refurbishing existing stock but yes there will come a time when they're due to be replaced - certainly the Scanias on X26/X66 are 10 years old like you say and are well past their best.

The new engineering director is starting to get to make his mark on the fleet too, of course the state of the fleet has been improved drastically over the last year or so. I am hoping that we can start repainting existing stock that needs it - some of the S-reg Darts and Prestiges lasted their whole lives on their original coat of paint!

I think the purchase of the Volvo B9TL's is a good view into the future... purchasing vehicles specifically for routes rather than a "one size fits all" approach, as in the past. Using Darts on the 213/214 from new is an example of previous wrong purchases, they were never designed to do work like that so its no wonder they were absolutely knackered at the end.

tyresmoke
01 Jan 2015, 9:42 pm #31

(01 Jan 2015, 8:40 pm)mb134 I'd reckon, if the X21/22 has seen growth in line with what some of the other Sapphire routes have, they'll get new buses within a couple more years. Can't remember which route it is but I'm positive I've saw a comment or something somewhere stating that the older E400's used on said route are being replaced this year (think it might be the 280 route).

Sure is - the 280 Aylesbury - Oxford is getting a batch of new Enviro 400's this year. More to do with the fact that the current stock is too old for the Oxford LEZ. The current E400's are heading to Hemel Hempstead for use on service 320 to Rickmansworth, alongside new Streetlites on service 100/101 Luton - Stevenage.

MAX is a concept designed by North East & Yorkshire to improve inter-urban routes. It will soon become standard across longer distance routes I am sure, and it's already been adopted by Wales, Shires and I understand soon Midlands too. They're refurbishing existing stock but yes there will come a time when they're due to be replaced - certainly the Scanias on X26/X66 are 10 years old like you say and are well past their best.

The new engineering director is starting to get to make his mark on the fleet too, of course the state of the fleet has been improved drastically over the last year or so. I am hoping that we can start repainting existing stock that needs it - some of the S-reg Darts and Prestiges lasted their whole lives on their original coat of paint!

I think the purchase of the Volvo B9TL's is a good view into the future... purchasing vehicles specifically for routes rather than a "one size fits all" approach, as in the past. Using Darts on the 213/214 from new is an example of previous wrong purchases, they were never designed to do work like that so its no wonder they were absolutely knackered at the end.

mb134

01 Jan 2015, 10:04 pm #32
(01 Jan 2015, 9:42 pm)tyresmoke Sure is - the 280 Aylesbury - Oxford is getting a batch of new Enviro 400's this year. More to do with the fact that the current stock is too old for the Oxford LEZ. The current E400's are heading to Hemel Hempstead for use on service 320 to Rickmansworth, alongside new Streetlites on service 100/101 Luton - Stevenage.
Do you think Arriva will take into account the reliability problems that Ashington have had with their older Enviros and replace them on the route sooner than expected, leaving 7518 with 7522-8 on the X21/22 with new examples while 7501-9 could go and upgrade a less demanding route to increase custom?
mb134
01 Jan 2015, 10:04 pm #32

(01 Jan 2015, 9:42 pm)tyresmoke Sure is - the 280 Aylesbury - Oxford is getting a batch of new Enviro 400's this year. More to do with the fact that the current stock is too old for the Oxford LEZ. The current E400's are heading to Hemel Hempstead for use on service 320 to Rickmansworth, alongside new Streetlites on service 100/101 Luton - Stevenage.
Do you think Arriva will take into account the reliability problems that Ashington have had with their older Enviros and replace them on the route sooner than expected, leaving 7518 with 7522-8 on the X21/22 with new examples while 7501-9 could go and upgrade a less demanding route to increase custom?

citaro5284

01 Jan 2015, 10:14 pm #33

Lets hope the Sapphire Implementation Team have a say in which vehicles to use/buy for Sapphire branded routes.
citaro5284
01 Jan 2015, 10:14 pm #33

Lets hope the Sapphire Implementation Team have a say in which vehicles to use/buy for Sapphire branded routes.

L469 YVK

01 Jan 2015, 11:40 pm #34
I hope that whatever endurance / express orders that Arriva place are Scania E400MMCs if they become proven. Stagecoach did it for their express and endurance services with the Euro 5 version and they most likely probably will for Euro 6 too. This is what the Arriva orders should look like for Northumberland in the future taking vehicle type and revenue into account:

- Quorum Express and Coastliner 308 get the ADL / Cummins chassis on the E400 MMC body as they aren't too demanding routes.

- 20/X20 and X13 get the same chassis as the above due to the revenue not being high enough to justify a heavyweight chassis. If growth continues, then it could be revisited in the near future. However, the Volvo B8RLE on either the MCV bodywork or Wright Eclipse bodywork would be a good shout with the X20 increased to operating half hourly between Ashington and Newcastle and the other hourly service past Ashington operating as service 21 between Ashington and Newbiggin but only to the Cresswell Arms or Secrest Road via the X21 route to Newbiggin Front Street

- X10/X11, X21/X22, X15 and X18 get the Scania chassis on the E400 MMC body. These routes justify a heavyweight chassis owing to financial and route related reasons. Despite the X10 / X11 not being too demanding, it is a very intense express operation.
- 14/X14 despite being in the same category as the 20/X20 is a route that requires power between Morpeth and Thropton. Therefore, a heavyweight chassis would be justified due to route related reasons with growth hopefully occurring in the future.
L469 YVK
01 Jan 2015, 11:40 pm #34

I hope that whatever endurance / express orders that Arriva place are Scania E400MMCs if they become proven. Stagecoach did it for their express and endurance services with the Euro 5 version and they most likely probably will for Euro 6 too. This is what the Arriva orders should look like for Northumberland in the future taking vehicle type and revenue into account:

- Quorum Express and Coastliner 308 get the ADL / Cummins chassis on the E400 MMC body as they aren't too demanding routes.

- 20/X20 and X13 get the same chassis as the above due to the revenue not being high enough to justify a heavyweight chassis. If growth continues, then it could be revisited in the near future. However, the Volvo B8RLE on either the MCV bodywork or Wright Eclipse bodywork would be a good shout with the X20 increased to operating half hourly between Ashington and Newcastle and the other hourly service past Ashington operating as service 21 between Ashington and Newbiggin but only to the Cresswell Arms or Secrest Road via the X21 route to Newbiggin Front Street

- X10/X11, X21/X22, X15 and X18 get the Scania chassis on the E400 MMC body. These routes justify a heavyweight chassis owing to financial and route related reasons. Despite the X10 / X11 not being too demanding, it is a very intense express operation.
- 14/X14 despite being in the same category as the 20/X20 is a route that requires power between Morpeth and Thropton. Therefore, a heavyweight chassis would be justified due to route related reasons with growth hopefully occurring in the future.

Jimmi

02 Jan 2015, 4:30 pm #35
Next stop announcements weren't working on 1425 on service 5 this afternoon, just had the screen saying Arriva go on, get on etc.
Jimmi
02 Jan 2015, 4:30 pm #35

Next stop announcements weren't working on 1425 on service 5 this afternoon, just had the screen saying Arriva go on, get on etc.

Dan

Site Administrator

02 Jan 2015, 6:48 pm #36
Reports that Belmont's ADL Enviro200s are now beginning to enter service - it's thought that one or two were out today, and the other three could follow suit tomorrow?

May be worth a trip to Durham - one lucky photographer will get their photos included in the news update this Sunday! Wink 
Dan
02 Jan 2015, 6:48 pm #36

Reports that Belmont's ADL Enviro200s are now beginning to enter service - it's thought that one or two were out today, and the other three could follow suit tomorrow?

May be worth a trip to Durham - one lucky photographer will get their photos included in the news update this Sunday! Wink 

Jimmi

02 Jan 2015, 7:31 pm #37
(02 Jan 2015, 6:48 pm)Dan Reports that Belmont's ADL Enviro200s are now beginning to enter service - it's thought that one or two were out today, and the other three could follow suit tomorrow?

Wish I'd gone to Durham today now, maybe I wouldn't have made such a long post in the annoying thread.

I'll see if there is any out and about around Durham tomorrow and I also want X1 shots before it is renumbered as the X12 on Sunday.
Jimmi
02 Jan 2015, 7:31 pm #37

(02 Jan 2015, 6:48 pm)Dan Reports that Belmont's ADL Enviro200s are now beginning to enter service - it's thought that one or two were out today, and the other three could follow suit tomorrow?

Wish I'd gone to Durham today now, maybe I wouldn't have made such a long post in the annoying thread.

I'll see if there is any out and about around Durham tomorrow and I also want X1 shots before it is renumbered as the X12 on Sunday.

Jimmi

02 Jan 2015, 8:52 pm #38
Does Durham service 64 still stop at the bus stop at Dragonville Tesco Extra or does it only stop at the stops on the main road on journeys to/from Sherburn Village.
Jimmi
02 Jan 2015, 8:52 pm #38

Does Durham service 64 still stop at the bus stop at Dragonville Tesco Extra or does it only stop at the stops on the main road on journeys to/from Sherburn Village.

S813 FVK

02 Jan 2015, 10:14 pm #39
(02 Jan 2015, 8:52 pm)Jimmi Does Durham service 64 still stop at the bus stop at Dragonville Tesco Extra or does it only stop at the stops on the main road on journeys to/from Sherburn Village.

It uses the tesco bus stop in both directions. Well, that was when it went down the back of Gilesgate. Now it goes along the front past Musgrave Gdns it may just serve the stops on the main road.
Edited 02 Jan 2015, 10:16 pm by S813 FVK.
S813 FVK
02 Jan 2015, 10:14 pm #39

(02 Jan 2015, 8:52 pm)Jimmi Does Durham service 64 still stop at the bus stop at Dragonville Tesco Extra or does it only stop at the stops on the main road on journeys to/from Sherburn Village.

It uses the tesco bus stop in both directions. Well, that was when it went down the back of Gilesgate. Now it goes along the front past Musgrave Gdns it may just serve the stops on the main road.

Adrian

02 Jan 2015, 10:21 pm #40
7619 and 7620 still seem to be out and about judging from this past week. Seen both again today. I'd have thought they'd have both been sent away for their MAX refurbishment by now, but seems not.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
02 Jan 2015, 10:21 pm #40

7619 and 7620 still seem to be out and about judging from this past week. Seen both again today. I'd have thought they'd have both been sent away for their MAX refurbishment by now, but seems not.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

Pages (23) Previous 1 2 323 Next

• 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average