Menu

North East Buses The Site Problems & Suggestions GNE Odd Workings Thread

GNE Odd Workings Thread

GNE Odd Workings Thread

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

gtom

Banned

07 Sep 2013, 6:18 pm #1
I appreciate the photos as I don't bookmark Flickr but perhaps long flickr traffic driving posts could go in a different forum?
gtom
07 Sep 2013, 6:18 pm #1

I appreciate the photos as I don't bookmark Flickr but perhaps long flickr traffic driving posts could go in a different forum?

Adrian

07 Sep 2013, 7:01 pm #2
(07 Sep 2013, 6:18 pm)gtomlinson I appreciate the photos as I don't bookmark Flickr but perhaps long flickr traffic driving posts could go in a different forum?

Might work. Perhaps not another forum, but we could try having a "Go North East - Workings" thread? It'd be helpful for those wanting to know if such and such has appeared on whatever service. It'd be easy enough for someone to summarise the week's posts within that thread into a weekly summary.

My own opinion is similar to others expressed. A fleet livery (Northern) vehicle is a spare, and you can expect it on any service that uses that vehicle type. e.g. Solar spare appearing on the 50 this week. A decker is not the allocated vehicle type for the 50, so if a fleet livery Trident appeared on there, that could be considered an 'odd' working.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
07 Sep 2013, 7:01 pm #2

(07 Sep 2013, 6:18 pm)gtomlinson I appreciate the photos as I don't bookmark Flickr but perhaps long flickr traffic driving posts could go in a different forum?

Might work. Perhaps not another forum, but we could try having a "Go North East - Workings" thread? It'd be helpful for those wanting to know if such and such has appeared on whatever service. It'd be easy enough for someone to summarise the week's posts within that thread into a weekly summary.

My own opinion is similar to others expressed. A fleet livery (Northern) vehicle is a spare, and you can expect it on any service that uses that vehicle type. e.g. Solar spare appearing on the 50 this week. A decker is not the allocated vehicle type for the 50, so if a fleet livery Trident appeared on there, that could be considered an 'odd' working.

gtom

Banned

07 Sep 2013, 7:07 pm #3
Yes I like the workings thread.

Or perhaps a comment along the lines of

'I saw a B7 on the 21 today, the B7's get about, I've taken a few pictures (LINK) of them on different routes lately
gtom
07 Sep 2013, 7:07 pm #3

Yes I like the workings thread.

'I saw a B7 on the 21 today, the B7's get about, I've taken a few pictures (LINK) of them on different routes lately

07 Sep 2013, 7:15 pm #4
(07 Sep 2013, 7:07 pm)gtomlinson Yes I like the workings thread.

A workings thread is a great idea, then those of us who don't want to be notified every time a Northern spare appears on a branded service don't need to scroll through a full page of Flickr links to get to the next post in this thread. Those who want to promote Flickr accounts will have somewhere to do it and those that are interested will know where to look.
stagecoachbusdepot
07 Sep 2013, 7:15 pm #4

(07 Sep 2013, 7:07 pm)gtomlinson Yes I like the workings thread.

A workings thread is a great idea, then those of us who don't want to be notified every time a Northern spare appears on a branded service don't need to scroll through a full page of Flickr links to get to the next post in this thread. Those who want to promote Flickr accounts will have somewhere to do it and those that are interested will know where to look.

Dan

Site Administrator

07 Sep 2013, 7:28 pm #5
This thread is in desperate need of a chop again...

I like the idea of having a dedicated thread for odd workings, but I don't want discussion to seemingly be forced. A lot of groups have strict rules on what is allowed and what is not allowed to be placed on the group. I feel we'd be taking on something similar if we did this ourselves, but by allowing discussion on a certain topic in one thread but not in another.
I personally don't mind one or two odd workings that are actually rare (we've had Solars working for Peterlee and SR Hybrids on the 61 today), but it's just the Northern ones that irritate me (and many others). Discussion could have branched off the odd workings mentioned previously, but discussion never branches off a Northern on x route unless it's a loan or the person adding to the discussion is complaining about the post and its relevance.

I've brought this up before, and I have received many a PM about the matter. Excessive Flickr advertising isn't great really - especially if a photo has already been posted and another person is replicating this in their own photo.
Liam and I have been discussing the Flickr Hall of Fame recently as well... I refer to the post I created when the feature was first released (see here), and we can't help but feel it has been abused as of late...
.png
hof.png
Size 956.29 KB / Downloads 30

While Liam did anticipate the addition of this feature would cut down excessive Flickr advertising on the forums, the main idea for me was so authors could publish photographs they were proud of... 20 shots at Gateshead Interchange (15 of them being of the same bus), it isn't great really.

I've moved all of these posts over to a new thread in the Suggestions section of the forum. We're getting a little off-topic.
Dan
07 Sep 2013, 7:28 pm #5

This thread is in desperate need of a chop again...

I like the idea of having a dedicated thread for odd workings, but I don't want discussion to seemingly be forced. A lot of groups have strict rules on what is allowed and what is not allowed to be placed on the group. I feel we'd be taking on something similar if we did this ourselves, but by allowing discussion on a certain topic in one thread but not in another.
I personally don't mind one or two odd workings that are actually rare (we've had Solars working for Peterlee and SR Hybrids on the 61 today), but it's just the Northern ones that irritate me (and many others). Discussion could have branched off the odd workings mentioned previously, but discussion never branches off a Northern on x route unless it's a loan or the person adding to the discussion is complaining about the post and its relevance.

I've brought this up before, and I have received many a PM about the matter. Excessive Flickr advertising isn't great really - especially if a photo has already been posted and another person is replicating this in their own photo.
Liam and I have been discussing the Flickr Hall of Fame recently as well... I refer to the post I created when the feature was first released (see here), and we can't help but feel it has been abused as of late...

.png
hof.png
Size 956.29 KB / Downloads 30

While Liam did anticipate the addition of this feature would cut down excessive Flickr advertising on the forums, the main idea for me was so authors could publish photographs they were proud of... 20 shots at Gateshead Interchange (15 of them being of the same bus), it isn't great really.

I've moved all of these posts over to a new thread in the Suggestions section of the forum. We're getting a little off-topic.

Adrian

07 Sep 2013, 7:45 pm #6
I know where you're coming from, but I don't think we'd be forcing discussion in having such a thread. If anything we'd just be splitting something that's regularly discussed into it's own discussion stream - similar to what's happened with the service suggestions. Some people don't want to see post after post of them, so it works having them in it's own thread?

I guess we'd still have the discretion to move or leave individual posts in the main GNE thread, so anything particularly rare and generating discussion could be left. Whereas spares working branded routes aren't going to be of much interest to the majority, but some people might still want to read it.

Regarding the Flickr HOF, I guess this was always the danger. It's really up to members of the community to have a degree of etiquette when tagging their photos for it, otherwise it's just going to deter visitors. Hall of Fame implies it should be one of those shots you take, that you think will come out crap, but realise it's a really good shot once you see it on a computer. Tongue I'd personally say that it's 'bad practice' to be tagging more than 5 or 6 of your photos a month. Unless you consider yourself to be David Bailey. Rolleyes

Adrian
07 Sep 2013, 7:45 pm #6

I know where you're coming from, but I don't think we'd be forcing discussion in having such a thread. If anything we'd just be splitting something that's regularly discussed into it's own discussion stream - similar to what's happened with the service suggestions. Some people don't want to see post after post of them, so it works having them in it's own thread?

I guess we'd still have the discretion to move or leave individual posts in the main GNE thread, so anything particularly rare and generating discussion could be left. Whereas spares working branded routes aren't going to be of much interest to the majority, but some people might still want to read it.

Regarding the Flickr HOF, I guess this was always the danger. It's really up to members of the community to have a degree of etiquette when tagging their photos for it, otherwise it's just going to deter visitors. Hall of Fame implies it should be one of those shots you take, that you think will come out crap, but realise it's a really good shot once you see it on a computer. Tongue I'd personally say that it's 'bad practice' to be tagging more than 5 or 6 of your photos a month. Unless you consider yourself to be David Bailey. Rolleyes

Malarkey

07 Sep 2013, 7:53 pm #7
I think it's good idea to have a separate page for this, I do apologize if I have been a bit excessive with the links to my photos etc, and Flickr Hall of Fame shows that and it makes me look bad I guess. But I can't help it if I'm the Only Person contributing over the course of the week to it.

Like I said in a previous post I've been in Sunderland 4 days a week for the past month hence the excessive amount of "Odd Workings Photos", The course finishes on Tuesday so you will it drop significantly.
Malarkey
07 Sep 2013, 7:53 pm #7

I think it's good idea to have a separate page for this, I do apologize if I have been a bit excessive with the links to my photos etc, and Flickr Hall of Fame shows that and it makes me look bad I guess. But I can't help it if I'm the Only Person contributing over the course of the week to it.

Like I said in a previous post I've been in Sunderland 4 days a week for the past month hence the excessive amount of "Odd Workings Photos", The course finishes on Tuesday so you will it drop significantly.

Dan

Site Administrator

07 Sep 2013, 7:54 pm #8
Indeed, I must admit I had forgotten completely about the service suggestions thread being split from the original Go North East thread. That seems to have worked brilliantly, and with that in mind, I'd anticipate the odd workings would work in a similar way.

You'll notice that each and every bus operator has a uniformed layout, consisting of the same threads in each (main discussion thread, service suggestion thread, service list thread and fleet news thread). Would we separate odd workings for ANE/SNE also? Discussion is a lot less frequent on those forums and I do feel that we'd be cutting down discussion on the main threads even more if we separated it for the other big two...

Like you say, the major odd balls can be kept within the main section, providing they stand a chance of generating discussion.
Dan
07 Sep 2013, 7:54 pm #8

Indeed, I must admit I had forgotten completely about the service suggestions thread being split from the original Go North East thread. That seems to have worked brilliantly, and with that in mind, I'd anticipate the odd workings would work in a similar way.

You'll notice that each and every bus operator has a uniformed layout, consisting of the same threads in each (main discussion thread, service suggestion thread, service list thread and fleet news thread). Would we separate odd workings for ANE/SNE also? Discussion is a lot less frequent on those forums and I do feel that we'd be cutting down discussion on the main threads even more if we separated it for the other big two...

Like you say, the major odd balls can be kept within the main section, providing they stand a chance of generating discussion.

Dan

Site Administrator

07 Sep 2013, 7:57 pm #9
(07 Sep 2013, 7:53 pm)Adam Malarkey Like I said in a previous post I've been in Sunderland 4 days a week for the past month hence the excessive amount of "Odd Workings Photos", The course finishes on Tuesday so you will it drop significantly.

Haha, Deptford for you! Wink
You'll be glad to get away from Park Lane! I usually wait around with friends from other local schools on school mornings (you guys will be able to see when I'm there - I usually see at least one odd working and post about it!), and I must admit it's always a relief during the school holidays to not have to go there...
Dan
07 Sep 2013, 7:57 pm #9

(07 Sep 2013, 7:53 pm)Adam Malarkey Like I said in a previous post I've been in Sunderland 4 days a week for the past month hence the excessive amount of "Odd Workings Photos", The course finishes on Tuesday so you will it drop significantly.

Haha, Deptford for you! Wink
You'll be glad to get away from Park Lane! I usually wait around with friends from other local schools on school mornings (you guys will be able to see when I'm there - I usually see at least one odd working and post about it!), and I must admit it's always a relief during the school holidays to not have to go there...

Adrian

07 Sep 2013, 8:00 pm #10
(07 Sep 2013, 7:54 pm)Daniel Indeed, I must admit I had forgotten completely about the service suggestions thread being split from the original Go North East thread. That seems to have worked brilliantly, and with that in mind, I'd anticipate the odd workings would work in a similar way.

How about we run a trial with GNE for the next month or so, and see how we get on? If it works it works, if not we can merge the posts into the main thread and do away with it? Smile

Adrian
07 Sep 2013, 8:00 pm #10

(07 Sep 2013, 7:54 pm)Daniel Indeed, I must admit I had forgotten completely about the service suggestions thread being split from the original Go North East thread. That seems to have worked brilliantly, and with that in mind, I'd anticipate the odd workings would work in a similar way.

How about we run a trial with GNE for the next month or so, and see how we get on? If it works it works, if not we can merge the posts into the main thread and do away with it? Smile

Dan

Site Administrator

07 Sep 2013, 8:14 pm #11
(07 Sep 2013, 8:00 pm)aureolin How about we run a trial with GNE for the next month or so, and see how we get on? If it works it works, if not we can merge the posts into the main thread and do away with it? Smile

Here we go:
http://northeastbuses.co.uk/forum/showth...hp?tid=621

Let's hope it's a successful trial! :p
Dan
07 Sep 2013, 8:14 pm #11

(07 Sep 2013, 8:00 pm)aureolin How about we run a trial with GNE for the next month or so, and see how we get on? If it works it works, if not we can merge the posts into the main thread and do away with it? Smile

Here we go:
http://northeastbuses.co.uk/forum/showth...hp?tid=621

Let's hope it's a successful trial! :p

Andreos1

07 Sep 2013, 8:15 pm #12
I must admit, I very rarely open any of the flickr links.
They don't really float my boat - but I don't complain about them, simply skipping past the post.

If a discussion comes of the original post, brilliant. If it doesn't, then so be it.

I think that needs to be carried throughout the forum.

There are posts in the forum from me, stating my concern that posts would become hidden or it would hinder discussion.
It did take a while for those threads to become popular, but they have taken off brilliantly - however, I do think it has been at the expense of others.
Discussion has diversified and that should be encouraged - whether it is in a dedicated thread or not.

If you look at the main GNE thread, there are nowhere near as many posts as there was previously, only because comments are diluted into other threads.

At what point do we say there are enough threads?
- Service Suggestions
- Brands
- Pricing
Each of those, were seperated out and what would have been posted in the GNE thread, are now elsewhere.

If we continue to seperate everything, what else will there be to talk about, specific to GNE or whoever else?

Just as an example - say there are 100 posts concerning GNE.
20 are about pricing
20 are about branding
30 are about service suggestions.
10 are about off route vehicles
5 are about flickr photos
the remaining discussion will be about what and how long will it take before that is seperated and split into its own thread?
Andreos1
07 Sep 2013, 8:15 pm #12

I must admit, I very rarely open any of the flickr links.
They don't really float my boat - but I don't complain about them, simply skipping past the post.

If a discussion comes of the original post, brilliant. If it doesn't, then so be it.

There are posts in the forum from me, stating my concern that posts would become hidden or it would hinder discussion.
It did take a while for those threads to become popular, but they have taken off brilliantly - however, I do think it has been at the expense of others.
Discussion has diversified and that should be encouraged - whether it is in a dedicated thread or not.

If you look at the main GNE thread, there are nowhere near as many posts as there was previously, only because comments are diluted into other threads.

- Service Suggestions
- Brands
- Pricing
Each of those, were seperated out and what would have been posted in the GNE thread, are now elsewhere.

If we continue to seperate everything, what else will there be to talk about, specific to GNE or whoever else?

20 are about pricing
20 are about branding
the remaining discussion will be about what and how long will it take before that is seperated and split into its own thread?

Malarkey

07 Sep 2013, 8:16 pm #13
(07 Sep 2013, 7:57 pm)Daniel Haha, Deptford for you! Wink

I've been there on a Morning 8.30 to 9 then at dinner for about 40 mins then like half hour to an hour before heading home on an Afternoon, and yeah I will be glad as I was starting to get a little bored. Some days I just went straight home as I couldn't be bothered to hang around. But Deptford have gave me the opportunity to capture some great odd workings that some may of not getting to photograph, i.e. 628 for example on various services.

But the next month or so I won't be out that often as won't have the Money to do so, so my page will quiet down a bit, as i'll be to busy playing Fifa 14 and GTA V on my Xbox. Another hobby of mine I put significant time into over the Winter Months as I hate the Cold. Hopefully I might do the odd trip out, but not that often.
Malarkey
07 Sep 2013, 8:16 pm #13

(07 Sep 2013, 7:57 pm)Daniel Haha, Deptford for you! Wink

I've been there on a Morning 8.30 to 9 then at dinner for about 40 mins then like half hour to an hour before heading home on an Afternoon, and yeah I will be glad as I was starting to get a little bored. Some days I just went straight home as I couldn't be bothered to hang around. But Deptford have gave me the opportunity to capture some great odd workings that some may of not getting to photograph, i.e. 628 for example on various services.

But the next month or so I won't be out that often as won't have the Money to do so, so my page will quiet down a bit, as i'll be to busy playing Fifa 14 and GTA V on my Xbox. Another hobby of mine I put significant time into over the Winter Months as I hate the Cold. Hopefully I might do the odd trip out, but not that often.

Dan

Site Administrator

07 Sep 2013, 8:22 pm #14
(07 Sep 2013, 8:15 pm)Andreos1 I must admit, I very rarely open any of the flickr links.

- Service Suggestions
- Brands
- Pricing

20 are about pricing
20 are about branding

That was my worry about Stagecoach and Arriva, as originally posted here. I wasn't as concerned about Go North East as we always seem to find discussion somewhere!

At present, I feel ANE/SNE can't be diluted any further. What would be the use of the main threads if we did dilute them more than we have done already?

If I'm honest, I've just looked over the GNE main thread, and I feel the majority of the discussion is rare/odd workings, which is perhaps why the other big two haven't had quite as much discussion... Without the unusual allocations, we've got VOSA registrations, diversion notices and fleet allocation. Other threads may be active, but this has been done at the expense of the main discussion thread.
Dan
07 Sep 2013, 8:22 pm #14

(07 Sep 2013, 8:15 pm)Andreos1 I must admit, I very rarely open any of the flickr links.

- Service Suggestions
- Brands
- Pricing

20 are about pricing
20 are about branding

That was my worry about Stagecoach and Arriva, as originally posted here. I wasn't as concerned about Go North East as we always seem to find discussion somewhere!

At present, I feel ANE/SNE can't be diluted any further. What would be the use of the main threads if we did dilute them more than we have done already?

If I'm honest, I've just looked over the GNE main thread, and I feel the majority of the discussion is rare/odd workings, which is perhaps why the other big two haven't had quite as much discussion... Without the unusual allocations, we've got VOSA registrations, diversion notices and fleet allocation. Other threads may be active, but this has been done at the expense of the main discussion thread.

Andreos1

07 Sep 2013, 8:34 pm #15
(07 Sep 2013, 8:22 pm)Daniel That was my worry about Stagecoach and Arriva, as originally posted here. I wasn't as concerned about Go North East as we always seem to find discussion somewhere!

Forgive me if I am missing the point, but if GNE gets its own thread deadicated to odd workings and the odd workings subject forms a major part of the GNE thread, then the only thing left will be a couple of Vosa postings a month and a couple of diversion notices a month with maybe a mention of fleet swaps...
Andreos1
07 Sep 2013, 8:34 pm #15

(07 Sep 2013, 8:22 pm)Daniel That was my worry about Stagecoach and Arriva, as originally posted here. I wasn't as concerned about Go North East as we always seem to find discussion somewhere!

Forgive me if I am missing the point, but if GNE gets its own thread deadicated to odd workings and the odd workings subject forms a major part of the GNE thread, then the only thing left will be a couple of Vosa postings a month and a couple of diversion notices a month with maybe a mention of fleet swaps...

Dan

Site Administrator

07 Sep 2013, 8:37 pm #16
(07 Sep 2013, 8:34 pm)Andreos1 Forgive me if I am missing the point, but if GNE gets its own thread deadicated to odd workings and the odd workings subject forms a major part of the GNE thread, then the only thing left will be a couple of Vosa postings a month and a couple of diversion notices a month with maybe a mention of fleet swaps...

That was my point.
Like aureolin said, we'll have this dedicated thread for a little while as a trial. If the main discussion thread is massively affected by it and discussion is reduced massively, we can easily put all posts back into the main thread.

You never know, this may end up being like a typical Go North East service trial rather than being successful... Rolleyes
Dan
07 Sep 2013, 8:37 pm #16

(07 Sep 2013, 8:34 pm)Andreos1 Forgive me if I am missing the point, but if GNE gets its own thread deadicated to odd workings and the odd workings subject forms a major part of the GNE thread, then the only thing left will be a couple of Vosa postings a month and a couple of diversion notices a month with maybe a mention of fleet swaps...

That was my point.
Like aureolin said, we'll have this dedicated thread for a little while as a trial. If the main discussion thread is massively affected by it and discussion is reduced massively, we can easily put all posts back into the main thread.

You never know, this may end up being like a typical Go North East service trial rather than being successful... Rolleyes

Andreos1

07 Sep 2013, 8:52 pm #17
(07 Sep 2013, 8:37 pm)Daniel That was my point.

Blame the beer Smile
Andreos1
07 Sep 2013, 8:52 pm #17

(07 Sep 2013, 8:37 pm)Daniel That was my point.

Blame the beer Smile

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average