Menu

North East Buses The Canteen General off-topic chat Privatisation of the Royal Mail

Privatisation of the Royal Mail

Privatisation of the Royal Mail

• 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average

Pages (2): Previous 1 2
MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

20 Sep 2013, 11:58 pm #21
Quote:A lot of folk, myself included, were always brought up to vote Labour. They were always the best option we had. I've been a member since 16, but even I doubt that now.

Most of this area was brought up to vote Labour, our Parents and Grandparents were brought up on Labour, it was drilled into us to vote Labour and I was especially told, if you Vote Tory your selling your soul to beelzebub himself and was always told if I vote Tory all my ancestors would rise from the grave, haunt me so they can snuff it all over again. I remember my great granny saying about Thatcher in her words 'I dont condone terrorism, but I wish the IRA had of blown her up in Brighton' this is a woman who hated catholics as well and would take offence if you called her a communist even though she thought the sun shone out of Arthur Scargills arse.

Quote:I wasn't old enough to vote in 97, but whenever I speak to people about it, I always hear that there was a real buzz in the air in the mid-90s. The thought of a Labour government getting in and the Tories finally being kicked out of the door. Blair and New Labour had won a lot of people over. Even those that had even declared never to vote Labour again. In the end though? I do feel we massively progressed as a nation, but at what cost has this come?

I remember the era well, not only for the political changes, New Labour took on a life of it's own and there was never going to be any other result than a New Labour Landslide in 1997, Tony Blair came along at the right time, and at that time Tony Blair appealed to milllions of us after 18 years and 4 consecutive Tory governments, he played the charming fella game, David Cameron did the same a few years ago, trying to appeal to people who usually would not vote for him, was it Cameron who came out with something like 'hug-a-hoodie' and the whole 'call me Dave' thing, my dad would say of Tony Blair 'He may be wearing tie, but deep down he is a tory'. I was also ineligible to vote as I was only a few weeks shy of my 15th and I remember election that year for all the wrong reasons.

Quote:You could argue that this coalition is hitting people harder than Thatcher ever did. But even with that being said, there is no buzz about Labour any more. They have not come up with a single credible policy since 2010. Miliband asked at the TUC if he is for or against austerity - couldn't give a straight answer.

I think his brother would have been a better leader, David had held quite important ministerial posts and I think a lot of people saw him as a more prominsing leader than Ed and I think many saw him as a natural choice for the leadership. As for the coalition hitting us harder than the Tatcherite Gov't, I dont know, I cannot really remember, I was too young, but I think Maggie ruined more lives especially during 84-85 when Thatcher saw through the promise she made in the 70's to 'destroy the NUM after the Heath government was brought down in about '72(another story for another day Big Grin) so on that part, I dont think Dave and his puppy dog bitch have been too bad on that front.

One I thing I do think though, it may just be that Nick Clegg holds all the cards again after the next election, he wants another coalition, but he would say that, it is the only way for him and his party to have any kind of power. Also, something that would not surprise me is UKIP getting close to the Lib Dems in the number of votes, and it may be UKIP find themselves in the 'Nick Clegg kingmaker role next time round' that probably wont happen but UKIP have made massive gains recently and they may be a credible threat to Clegg and his band of merry bitches.

It makes me laugh sometimes when people ask me who I vote or I ask people who they vote, if people decide to tell conversation normally goes like this

'Who did you vote for'
'Labour'
'Why do you vote Labour'
'Dont know, guess it has been drilled into me to vote them'
'So you vote Labour because that is all you have been told to do'
'I guess'
'Is that not like a dictatorship where you are told what is expected and told what box to cross on your ballot paper'
'Good point'

Where I live I am in the Easington Constituency and I could put my dog up for election for the Labour Party and she would by a huge majority lol
MrFozz
20 Sep 2013, 11:58 pm #21

Quote:A lot of folk, myself included, were always brought up to vote Labour. They were always the best option we had. I've been a member since 16, but even I doubt that now.

Most of this area was brought up to vote Labour, our Parents and Grandparents were brought up on Labour, it was drilled into us to vote Labour and I was especially told, if you Vote Tory your selling your soul to beelzebub himself and was always told if I vote Tory all my ancestors would rise from the grave, haunt me so they can snuff it all over again. I remember my great granny saying about Thatcher in her words 'I dont condone terrorism, but I wish the IRA had of blown her up in Brighton' this is a woman who hated catholics as well and would take offence if you called her a communist even though she thought the sun shone out of Arthur Scargills arse.

Quote:I wasn't old enough to vote in 97, but whenever I speak to people about it, I always hear that there was a real buzz in the air in the mid-90s. The thought of a Labour government getting in and the Tories finally being kicked out of the door. Blair and New Labour had won a lot of people over. Even those that had even declared never to vote Labour again. In the end though? I do feel we massively progressed as a nation, but at what cost has this come?

I remember the era well, not only for the political changes, New Labour took on a life of it's own and there was never going to be any other result than a New Labour Landslide in 1997, Tony Blair came along at the right time, and at that time Tony Blair appealed to milllions of us after 18 years and 4 consecutive Tory governments, he played the charming fella game, David Cameron did the same a few years ago, trying to appeal to people who usually would not vote for him, was it Cameron who came out with something like 'hug-a-hoodie' and the whole 'call me Dave' thing, my dad would say of Tony Blair 'He may be wearing tie, but deep down he is a tory'. I was also ineligible to vote as I was only a few weeks shy of my 15th and I remember election that year for all the wrong reasons.

Quote:You could argue that this coalition is hitting people harder than Thatcher ever did. But even with that being said, there is no buzz about Labour any more. They have not come up with a single credible policy since 2010. Miliband asked at the TUC if he is for or against austerity - couldn't give a straight answer.

I think his brother would have been a better leader, David had held quite important ministerial posts and I think a lot of people saw him as a more prominsing leader than Ed and I think many saw him as a natural choice for the leadership. As for the coalition hitting us harder than the Tatcherite Gov't, I dont know, I cannot really remember, I was too young, but I think Maggie ruined more lives especially during 84-85 when Thatcher saw through the promise she made in the 70's to 'destroy the NUM after the Heath government was brought down in about '72(another story for another day Big Grin) so on that part, I dont think Dave and his puppy dog bitch have been too bad on that front.

One I thing I do think though, it may just be that Nick Clegg holds all the cards again after the next election, he wants another coalition, but he would say that, it is the only way for him and his party to have any kind of power. Also, something that would not surprise me is UKIP getting close to the Lib Dems in the number of votes, and it may be UKIP find themselves in the 'Nick Clegg kingmaker role next time round' that probably wont happen but UKIP have made massive gains recently and they may be a credible threat to Clegg and his band of merry bitches.

It makes me laugh sometimes when people ask me who I vote or I ask people who they vote, if people decide to tell conversation normally goes like this

'Who did you vote for'
'Labour'
'Why do you vote Labour'
'Dont know, guess it has been drilled into me to vote them'
'So you vote Labour because that is all you have been told to do'
'I guess'
'Is that not like a dictatorship where you are told what is expected and told what box to cross on your ballot paper'
'Good point'

Where I live I am in the Easington Constituency and I could put my dog up for election for the Labour Party and she would by a huge majority lol

Andreos1

06 Oct 2013, 9:30 am #22
According to Chuka Umunna this morning, the value put onto the Royal Mail by the Tories is significantly lower than it should be - they have failed to reflect or take into account the value of the land included in the sale.

A cynic may suggest the decision was a deliberate one.
After all, how many people would love to get their hands on prime real estate for peanuts?

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
06 Oct 2013, 9:30 am #22

According to Chuka Umunna this morning, the value put onto the Royal Mail by the Tories is significantly lower than it should be - they have failed to reflect or take into account the value of the land included in the sale.

After all, how many people would love to get their hands on prime real estate for peanuts?

Adrian

06 Oct 2013, 10:40 am #23
(06 Oct 2013, 9:30 am)Andreos1 According to Chuka Umunna this morning, the value put onto the Royal Mail by the Tories is significantly lower than it should be - they have failed to reflect or take into account the value of the land included in the sale.

Well that's well and truly devalued that statement in your first four words. Chuka Umunna appears to be Labour's "next big thing", but he's about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

Are they actually selling the land/estates? Surely this makes it difficult for it to be put out for tender again at the end of the PPP? The new land/estates owner would be under no obligation to sell as far as the law of the land goes. It'd make more sense for the land/estates to be leased to whoever wins the tender for the duration of that contract - a tactic that hasn't been uncommon in previous government PPPs.

It's not like we're selling Gold at a rock bottom price mind... Wink

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
06 Oct 2013, 10:40 am #23

(06 Oct 2013, 9:30 am)Andreos1 According to Chuka Umunna this morning, the value put onto the Royal Mail by the Tories is significantly lower than it should be - they have failed to reflect or take into account the value of the land included in the sale.

Well that's well and truly devalued that statement in your first four words. Chuka Umunna appears to be Labour's "next big thing", but he's about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

Are they actually selling the land/estates? Surely this makes it difficult for it to be put out for tender again at the end of the PPP? The new land/estates owner would be under no obligation to sell as far as the law of the land goes. It'd make more sense for the land/estates to be leased to whoever wins the tender for the duration of that contract - a tactic that hasn't been uncommon in previous government PPPs.

Andreos1

06 Oct 2013, 11:59 am #24
(06 Oct 2013, 10:40 am)aureolin Well that's well and truly devalued that statement in your first four words. Chuka Umunna appears to be Labour's "next big thing", but he's about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

I am guessing some of the land will be freehold.
So if a private buyer or equity firm buys 10 sites and decides to only use 4 of them - the 6 remaining will be sold.

Obviously the private buyer/equity firm could make some serious money by selling that land, especially if the land was chucked in for free.

Andreos1
06 Oct 2013, 11:59 am #24

(06 Oct 2013, 10:40 am)aureolin Well that's well and truly devalued that statement in your first four words. Chuka Umunna appears to be Labour's "next big thing", but he's about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

I am guessing some of the land will be freehold.
So if a private buyer or equity firm buys 10 sites and decides to only use 4 of them - the 6 remaining will be sold.

Obviously the private buyer/equity firm could make some serious money by selling that land, especially if the land was chucked in for free.

citaro5284

10 Oct 2013, 9:09 pm #25
So Royal Mail shares will start trading at 330p each, and there has been a big demand for them. Lets see what they trade like through the day.
citaro5284
10 Oct 2013, 9:09 pm #25

So Royal Mail shares will start trading at 330p each, and there has been a big demand for them. Lets see what they trade like through the day.

Andreos1

10 Oct 2013, 10:24 pm #26
Easy money by the looks of it.

Another sell off by a Tory Government, that gives them an easy few quid.
It is a shame the organisation/s who ends up purchasing the Royal Mail will make even more money than the Government have done.

There are some interesting comments on the bbc website (www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24480450).

Andreos1
10 Oct 2013, 10:24 pm #26

Easy money by the looks of it.

Another sell off by a Tory Government, that gives them an easy few quid.
It is a shame the organisation/s who ends up purchasing the Royal Mail will make even more money than the Government have done.

There are some interesting comments on the bbc website (www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24480450).

Andreos1

11 Oct 2013, 7:12 am #27
Taken from twitter just now

Quote:BBC Breaking News @BBCBreaking 24s

Royal Mail shares open at 456p, 36% above
offer price, at start of conditional trading on
London Stock Exchange bbc.in/1g4OTAu

Andreos1
11 Oct 2013, 7:12 am #27

Taken from twitter just now

Quote:BBC Breaking News @BBCBreaking 24s

Royal Mail shares open at 456p, 36% above
offer price, at start of conditional trading on
London Stock Exchange bbc.in/1g4OTAu

Andreos1

31 Mar 2014, 9:26 pm #28
Just caught a glimpse of it on the news, but it appears The Independent have a big story about the self off.

No idea what angle it has, but I have a feeling it wont be positive for us poor taxpayers.

Andreos1
31 Mar 2014, 9:26 pm #28

Just caught a glimpse of it on the news, but it appears The Independent have a big story about the self off.

No idea what angle it has, but I have a feeling it wont be positive for us poor taxpayers.

Andreos1

22 May 2014, 11:56 am #29
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busine...14815.html

Inevitable...

Sells shares for peanuts, value rises through the roof and profits jump massively.

Selling off that Golden Egg - when it could have brought millions into the public purse and spent on schemes and projects to benefit the majority, rather than the minority.

Andreos1
22 May 2014, 11:56 am #29

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busine...14815.html

Inevitable...

Sells shares for peanuts, value rises through the roof and profits jump massively.

Selling off that Golden Egg - when it could have brought millions into the public purse and spent on schemes and projects to benefit the majority, rather than the minority.

Andreos1

04 Jun 2015, 1:49 pm #30
Gideon has announced the Government are to sell of a 30% share of the Royal Mail.

Will it ever end?

Just glad I am not his Grandma - I would be fearing for my life and worried he would sell me too!

Andreos1
04 Jun 2015, 1:49 pm #30

Gideon has announced the Government are to sell of a 30% share of the Royal Mail.

Will it ever end?

Just glad I am not his Grandma - I would be fearing for my life and worried he would sell me too!

MurdnunoC

04 Jun 2015, 5:08 pm #31
(04 Jun 2015, 1:49 pm)Andreos1 Gideon has announced the Government are to sell of a 30% share of the Royal Mail.

Will it ever end?

I think I'll attempt to acquire some this time round.
MurdnunoC
04 Jun 2015, 5:08 pm #31

(04 Jun 2015, 1:49 pm)Andreos1 Gideon has announced the Government are to sell of a 30% share of the Royal Mail.

Will it ever end?

I think I'll attempt to acquire some this time round.

Adrian

05 Jun 2015, 7:51 pm #32
Just wait until the postman no longer delivers to your house, because it's no longer commercially viable. Smile

Adrian
05 Jun 2015, 7:51 pm #32

Just wait until the postman no longer delivers to your house, because it's no longer commercially viable. Smile

Andreos1

22 Oct 2017, 8:50 am #33
https://twitter.com/CWUnews/status/921338957840953345

Campaign video by @weownit.

Andreos1
22 Oct 2017, 8:50 am #33

https://twitter.com/CWUnews/status/921338957840953345

Campaign video by @weownit.

Andreos1

16 Nov 2017, 12:20 pm #34
So, merely a few years after it was privatised, the Royal Mail has paid out £68m to shareholders after bosses boosted its interim dividend per share by 4pc to 7.7p

Imagine all the good things it could have been spent on, if all that money was paid in to the public purse?
Edited 16 Nov 2017, 12:31 pm by Andreos1.

Andreos1
16 Nov 2017, 12:20 pm #34

So, merely a few years after it was privatised, the Royal Mail has paid out £68m to shareholders after bosses boosted its interim dividend per share by 4pc to 7.7p

Imagine all the good things it could have been spent on, if all that money was paid in to the public purse?

Pages (2): Previous 1 2

• 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average