Menu

North East Buses Other Forms of Transport Railways Tyne and Wear Metro

Tyne and Wear Metro

Tyne and Wear Metro

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (146) Previous 14 5 6146 Next
Adrian

16 Jun 2013, 4:06 pm #81
Press cuttings from the Washington Star this week. More rambling by Sharon Hodgson.
Attached Files
.pdf
washington-star-cuttings-16062013.pdf
Size 462.72 KB / Downloads 56

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
16 Jun 2013, 4:06 pm #81

Press cuttings from the Washington Star this week. More rambling by Sharon Hodgson.

Attached Files
.pdf
washington-star-cuttings-16062013.pdf
Size 462.72 KB / Downloads 56

Wellsey18

20 Jun 2013, 3:25 pm #82
There's a failed train at Byker causing big delays, and just a quick question does anyone have photos of the old interiors/seat covers??
Wellsey18
20 Jun 2013, 3:25 pm #82

There's a failed train at Byker causing big delays, and just a quick question does anyone have photos of the old interiors/seat covers??

Adrian

20 Jun 2013, 7:08 pm #83
(20 Jun 2013, 3:25 pm)Wellsey18 There's a failed train at Byker causing big delays, and just a quick question does anyone have photos of the old interiors/seat covers??

Was it similar to the NBC interior? The orange/black waspy look? Vaguely remember it but may have had the Metro logo on it using a similar colour scheme? Sure the seat handles had the Metro logo on too.

Adrian
20 Jun 2013, 7:08 pm #83

(20 Jun 2013, 3:25 pm)Wellsey18 There's a failed train at Byker causing big delays, and just a quick question does anyone have photos of the old interiors/seat covers??

Was it similar to the NBC interior? The orange/black waspy look? Vaguely remember it but may have had the Metro logo on it using a similar colour scheme? Sure the seat handles had the Metro logo on too.

Wellsey18

20 Jun 2013, 9:03 pm #84
The one i remember from being younger was the blue with m signs on them i think?
Wellsey18
20 Jun 2013, 9:03 pm #84

The one i remember from being younger was the blue with m signs on them i think?

Andreos1

20 Jun 2013, 9:17 pm #85
Oh, thats aureolin showing his age Wink when his (and my) version of old interiors/seat covers are the original seats and Wellsey18's version coming from the 90s.

The waspy brown and yellow with the twpte logo was the REAL 'old' version :p. It was also on the twpte buses too.
Andreos1
20 Jun 2013, 9:17 pm #85

Oh, thats aureolin showing his age Wink when his (and my) version of old interiors/seat covers are the original seats and Wellsey18's version coming from the 90s.

The waspy brown and yellow with the twpte logo was the REAL 'old' version :p. It was also on the twpte buses too.

Adrian

22 Jun 2013, 8:06 pm #86
I can't find any old interior for the Metro - probably down to how anal Nexus are over photography. Pretty sure there was a similar waspy looking interior that came about after this one, but before the early 90s(?) refurbishments?

[Image: 6459992.jpg?581]

Adrian
22 Jun 2013, 8:06 pm #86

I can't find any old interior for the Metro - probably down to how anal Nexus are over photography. Pretty sure there was a similar waspy looking interior that came about after this one, but before the early 90s(?) refurbishments?

[Image: 6459992.jpg?581]

Dan

Site Administrator

02 Jul 2013, 6:28 am #87
It's been a couple of days, so we were to expect some disruption to the Metro network...

2nd July - There are no trains running between Pelaw and South Hylton in both directions until further notice . This is due to a problem with the power supply
There are no trains running between Pelaw and South Hylton in both directions until further notice . This is due to a problem with the power supply.
Go North East are accepting Metro tickets in the affected area. Bus services 9, 26A, 20 operate between Heworth and South Hylton.
We will update you as soon as we have more information.

Just me confused by GNE's 20 supposedly serving South Hylton?
Stagecoach in Sunderland's service 8/10&11/20 would be more appropriate Sunderland - South Hylton, surely?
Dan
02 Jul 2013, 6:28 am #87

It's been a couple of days, so we were to expect some disruption to the Metro network...

2nd July - There are no trains running between Pelaw and South Hylton in both directions until further notice . This is due to a problem with the power supply
There are no trains running between Pelaw and South Hylton in both directions until further notice . This is due to a problem with the power supply.
Go North East are accepting Metro tickets in the affected area. Bus services 9, 26A, 20 operate between Heworth and South Hylton.

Stagecoach in Sunderland's service 8/10&11/20 would be more appropriate Sunderland - South Hylton, surely?

Andreos1

02 Jul 2013, 10:08 am #88
(02 Jul 2013, 6:28 am)Daniel It's been a couple of days, so we were to expect some disruption to the Metro network...

Yeah, they were giving out the same information on the Traffic and Travel on the car radio this morning. It must have been the third or fourth time, before I actually worked out and realised the info was duff.
Andreos1
02 Jul 2013, 10:08 am #88

(02 Jul 2013, 6:28 am)Daniel It's been a couple of days, so we were to expect some disruption to the Metro network...

Yeah, they were giving out the same information on the Traffic and Travel on the car radio this morning. It must have been the third or fourth time, before I actually worked out and realised the info was duff.

Andreos1

03 Jul 2013, 3:04 pm #89
A newly refurbished metrocar was on the back of a low loader, struggling up the A1 at Doncaster about an hour ago.

If anyone gets their timings right (taking into account any tacho breaks), you will catch it later for a photo opportunity.
Andreos1
03 Jul 2013, 3:04 pm #89

A newly refurbished metrocar was on the back of a low loader, struggling up the A1 at Doncaster about an hour ago.

If anyone gets their timings right (taking into account any tacho breaks), you will catch it later for a photo opportunity.

Dan

Site Administrator

05 Jul 2013, 6:45 am #90
More Metro fun in Sunderland this morning..!

5th July - Sunderland is closed and no trains will be stopping at the station until further notice. This is due to a station defect
Sunderland is closed and no trains will be stopping at the station until further notice. This is due to a station defect.
A bus replacement service, the number 901 is in operation calling at or near to all stations between Park Lane and St. Peters.
We will update you once we have more information
Source: www.nexus.org.uk
Dan
05 Jul 2013, 6:45 am #90

More Metro fun in Sunderland this morning..!

5th July - Sunderland is closed and no trains will be stopping at the station until further notice. This is due to a station defect
Sunderland is closed and no trains will be stopping at the station until further notice. This is due to a station defect.
A bus replacement service, the number 901 is in operation calling at or near to all stations between Park Lane and St. Peters.
We will update you once we have more information
Source: www.nexus.org.uk

Dan

Site Administrator

05 Jul 2013, 7:28 am #91
Metro madness now all sorted.
Dan
05 Jul 2013, 7:28 am #91

Metro madness now all sorted.

Adrian

11 Jul 2013, 8:04 pm #92
Metro barriers introduced in fight against fare-dodges

11 Jul 2013 08:23

London Underground-style gates are being installed at 13 of the busiest stations on the Tyne and Wear Metro
Share on print Share on email
Dan Richardson from Nexus checks the new equipment Dan Richardson from Nexus checks the new equipment

It'll soon be all change for passengers on the Metro as testing begins on new barriers to deter fare dodgers.

The London Underground-style gates are being installed at 13 of the busiest stations.

One aim is to reduce fare dodging which costs about £1m a year in lost income.

Inspectors will still travel around the Metro checking tickets, but will focus on suburban stations which don’t have gates.

The switch-on is scheduled to start in September and all the gates should be working by the end of the year.

Acceptance tester Dan Richardson has spent 16 months on the project and he has now begun testing the equipment to make certain everything is working properly.

“I’m very impressed by the system,’’ he said. “It is a necessity for any transport undertaking to have barriers.

“It will help eradicate a lot of fares evasion and anti-social behaviour.’’

The automatic electronic gates will operate at central area stations in Newcastle, Gateshead, North Shields and South Shields.

The move will mean big changes for passengers, and Tyne & Wear transport executive Nexus says the switch-on will be phased to get them used to the new system.

Extra staff will be on hand at stations with gates to assist passengers after the switch-on.

The cost of the gates is around £7.5m which is part of a £24m contract to install 225 new ticket machines in all the Metro’s 60 stations.

The equipment is being supplied by a German company, Scheidt & Bachmann, as part of the 11-year, £389m modernisation of the Metro.

Passengers will ‘touch’ their Pop smartcard on a card reader or insert their paper ticket into the front of the gate to get through to station platforms.

Elderly and disabled passengers are having their gold cards switched to the new system as they come up for renewal.

Those who still have paper gold cards when the gates are switched on, will show them to a member of staff who will let them through.

Metro stations without gates have yellow smartcard validators which passengers with a Pop card must use at the start of the journey so they can get through the barrier if they are leaving at one of the gated stations.

Deputy director general of Nexus, Tobyn Hughes, said: “We are moving closer to the big switch on of Metro’s new automatic ticket gates. This will transform the way people access the Metro system and allow us to reduce fare evasion.

“At the moment we are in the process of testing the gates and training staff on how to operate them. All Metro stations with gates have to be staffed when the gates are operational.

“We will publicise a start date well in advance of the whole system going live.”

Stations where electronic gates will operate are Airport, Jesmond, Haymarket, Monument, Central, St James, Manors and Byker all in Newcastle, along with Gateshead, Heworth, North Shields, South Shields and Chichester.

Source: Evening Chronicle

Adrian
11 Jul 2013, 8:04 pm #92

Metro barriers introduced in fight against fare-dodges

11 Jul 2013 08:23

London Underground-style gates are being installed at 13 of the busiest stations on the Tyne and Wear Metro
Share on print Share on email
Dan Richardson from Nexus checks the new equipment Dan Richardson from Nexus checks the new equipment

It'll soon be all change for passengers on the Metro as testing begins on new barriers to deter fare dodgers.

The London Underground-style gates are being installed at 13 of the busiest stations.

One aim is to reduce fare dodging which costs about £1m a year in lost income.

Inspectors will still travel around the Metro checking tickets, but will focus on suburban stations which don’t have gates.

The switch-on is scheduled to start in September and all the gates should be working by the end of the year.

Acceptance tester Dan Richardson has spent 16 months on the project and he has now begun testing the equipment to make certain everything is working properly.

“I’m very impressed by the system,’’ he said. “It is a necessity for any transport undertaking to have barriers.

“It will help eradicate a lot of fares evasion and anti-social behaviour.’’

The automatic electronic gates will operate at central area stations in Newcastle, Gateshead, North Shields and South Shields.

The move will mean big changes for passengers, and Tyne & Wear transport executive Nexus says the switch-on will be phased to get them used to the new system.

Extra staff will be on hand at stations with gates to assist passengers after the switch-on.

The cost of the gates is around £7.5m which is part of a £24m contract to install 225 new ticket machines in all the Metro’s 60 stations.

The equipment is being supplied by a German company, Scheidt & Bachmann, as part of the 11-year, £389m modernisation of the Metro.

Passengers will ‘touch’ their Pop smartcard on a card reader or insert their paper ticket into the front of the gate to get through to station platforms.

Elderly and disabled passengers are having their gold cards switched to the new system as they come up for renewal.

Those who still have paper gold cards when the gates are switched on, will show them to a member of staff who will let them through.

Metro stations without gates have yellow smartcard validators which passengers with a Pop card must use at the start of the journey so they can get through the barrier if they are leaving at one of the gated stations.

Deputy director general of Nexus, Tobyn Hughes, said: “We are moving closer to the big switch on of Metro’s new automatic ticket gates. This will transform the way people access the Metro system and allow us to reduce fare evasion.

“At the moment we are in the process of testing the gates and training staff on how to operate them. All Metro stations with gates have to be staffed when the gates are operational.

“We will publicise a start date well in advance of the whole system going live.”

Stations where electronic gates will operate are Airport, Jesmond, Haymarket, Monument, Central, St James, Manors and Byker all in Newcastle, along with Gateshead, Heworth, North Shields, South Shields and Chichester.

Source: Evening Chronicle

Andreos1

11 Jul 2013, 8:26 pm #93
Does anyone know the official reason the old barriers were removed?
The terminals were kept, but the barriers never seemed operational.
Andreos1
11 Jul 2013, 8:26 pm #93

Does anyone know the official reason the old barriers were removed?

MurdnunoC

11 Jul 2013, 9:31 pm #94
(11 Jul 2013, 8:26 pm)Andreos1 Does anyone know the official reason the old barriers were removed?

I believe it was due to concerns over safety arising from a series of incidents on the London Underground including the Kings Cross Fire of 1987. I suppose having to stick an old-style Metro ticket through the ticket barrier to unlock the turnstile mechanism isn't the most welcoming prospect when you're running away from a fire.Exclamation

The terminals were kept to assist with crowd control.
MurdnunoC
11 Jul 2013, 9:31 pm #94

(11 Jul 2013, 8:26 pm)Andreos1 Does anyone know the official reason the old barriers were removed?

I believe it was due to concerns over safety arising from a series of incidents on the London Underground including the Kings Cross Fire of 1987. I suppose having to stick an old-style Metro ticket through the ticket barrier to unlock the turnstile mechanism isn't the most welcoming prospect when you're running away from a fire.Exclamation

The terminals were kept to assist with crowd control.

Adrian

11 Jul 2013, 9:44 pm #95
I really can't see the new gates being in operation a lot if I'm honest. The reason being that the gates would need to be manned whenever in operation, and to do that, you're going to need to pay someone a wage. Maybe during rush hour or match days at the most...

Adrian
11 Jul 2013, 9:44 pm #95

I really can't see the new gates being in operation a lot if I'm honest. The reason being that the gates would need to be manned whenever in operation, and to do that, you're going to need to pay someone a wage. Maybe during rush hour or match days at the most...

MurdnunoC

11 Jul 2013, 9:51 pm #96
(11 Jul 2013, 9:44 pm)aureolin I really can't see the new gates being in operation a lot if I'm honest. The reason being that the gates would need to be manned whenever in operation, and to do that, you're going to need to pay someone a wage. Maybe during rush hour or match days at the most...

Over the last six months or so, more 'customer service' staff have been taken on for that very reason. Not sure of the actual number, but I'm sure it was between 10 and 15.

Just found the Tyne and Wear Metro's Facebook post in reference to the vacancies.

Looking for a job or a new role? Come and join our Customer Services team, we're recruiting ten Customer Service Advisors. If you’re interested in applying take a look at all the details on our website http://www.nexus.org.uk/recruitment/cust...advisors-0

Link: https://www.facebook.com/273400136012565...1150135316

They were also recruiting last October too.

https://www.facebook.com/273400136012565...3712062569
Edited 11 Jul 2013, 10:32 pm by MurdnunoC.
MurdnunoC
11 Jul 2013, 9:51 pm #96

(11 Jul 2013, 9:44 pm)aureolin I really can't see the new gates being in operation a lot if I'm honest. The reason being that the gates would need to be manned whenever in operation, and to do that, you're going to need to pay someone a wage. Maybe during rush hour or match days at the most...

Over the last six months or so, more 'customer service' staff have been taken on for that very reason. Not sure of the actual number, but I'm sure it was between 10 and 15.

Just found the Tyne and Wear Metro's Facebook post in reference to the vacancies.

Looking for a job or a new role? Come and join our Customer Services team, we're recruiting ten Customer Service Advisors. If you’re interested in applying take a look at all the details on our website http://www.nexus.org.uk/recruitment/cust...advisors-0

Andreos1

12 Jul 2013, 1:36 pm #97
All kicking off on the @my_metro twitter page.

Electrical supply problems and the Fire Brigade 'allegedly' helping passengers off stranded trains
Andreos1
12 Jul 2013, 1:36 pm #97

All kicking off on the @my_metro twitter page.

Electrical supply problems and the Fire Brigade 'allegedly' helping passengers off stranded trains

Adrian

12 Jul 2013, 2:12 pm #98
And on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/mymetrotw/posts...6084507300

Originally posted as "There are no trains running between Gateshead and Hebburn and Brockley Whinns in both directions, this is due to a problem with the power supply. We will update you once we have more information.". Since then though, they've had people stuck on hot trains till emergency services turned up, delays all over the rest of the system as a knock on effect, and then buses not accepting Metro tickets/passes. The latest is they're working on getting a Metro replacement (900) service running.

Unfortunately Metro have as much contingency planning as a bar of chocolate in direct sunlight.

(11 Jul 2013, 9:51 pm)AdamY

Was it Metro recruiting or Nexus? I remember seeing some vacancies a couple of months ago, but they were for Nexus directly. I'd assume it would be Metro staff manning the gates.

Adrian
12 Jul 2013, 2:12 pm #98

And on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/mymetrotw/posts...6084507300

Originally posted as "There are no trains running between Gateshead and Hebburn and Brockley Whinns in both directions, this is due to a problem with the power supply. We will update you once we have more information.". Since then though, they've had people stuck on hot trains till emergency services turned up, delays all over the rest of the system as a knock on effect, and then buses not accepting Metro tickets/passes. The latest is they're working on getting a Metro replacement (900) service running.

Unfortunately Metro have as much contingency planning as a bar of chocolate in direct sunlight.

(11 Jul 2013, 9:51 pm)AdamY

Was it Metro recruiting or Nexus? I remember seeing some vacancies a couple of months ago, but they were for Nexus directly. I'd assume it would be Metro staff manning the gates.

Dan

Site Administrator

12 Jul 2013, 5:57 pm #99
(12 Jul 2013, 1:36 pm)Andreos1 All kicking off on the @my_metro twitter page.

Go North East provided two vehicles for the Metro replacement service, Arriva North East provided one, and Kingsleys provided two.
Can't say I saw any fire brigades helping passengers off trains mind...
Dan
12 Jul 2013, 5:57 pm #99

Go North East provided two vehicles for the Metro replacement service, Arriva North East provided one, and Kingsleys provided two.

Dan

Site Administrator

12 Jul 2013, 9:24 pm #100
(12 Jul 2013, 5:57 pm)Daniel

Some photos of the train itself at Felling and the guys in orange who came to fix things:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/danielgrahamm/9269523519/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/danielgrahamm/9272308320/
Dan
12 Jul 2013, 9:24 pm #100

(12 Jul 2013, 5:57 pm)Daniel

Some photos of the train itself at Felling and the guys in orange who came to fix things:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/danielgrahamm/9269523519/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/danielgrahamm/9272308320/

Pages (146) Previous 14 5 6146 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average