Menu

North East Buses Other Forms of Transport Railways Tyne and Wear Metro

Tyne and Wear Metro

Tyne and Wear Metro

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (146) Previous 15 6 7146 Next
Adrian

12 Jul 2013, 9:37 pm #101
Metro performance is fast becoming a joke. The latest performance report is here. Last 4 (including current) periods: 85.68%, 86.20%, 86.26% and 86.98%.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
12 Jul 2013, 9:37 pm #101

Metro performance is fast becoming a joke. The latest performance report is here. Last 4 (including current) periods: 85.68%, 86.20%, 86.26% and 86.98%.

Dan

Site Administrator

12 Jul 2013, 9:45 pm #102
(12 Jul 2013, 9:37 pm)aureolin Metro performance is fast becoming a joke. The latest performance report is here. Last 4 (including current) periods: 85.68%, 86.20%, 86.26% and 86.98%.

I'm shocked it's still so high. There is at least one disruption every other day, and it usually causes rolling delays to the full network.
Dan
12 Jul 2013, 9:45 pm #102

(12 Jul 2013, 9:37 pm)aureolin Metro performance is fast becoming a joke. The latest performance report is here. Last 4 (including current) periods: 85.68%, 86.20%, 86.26% and 86.98%.

I'm shocked it's still so high. There is at least one disruption every other day, and it usually causes rolling delays to the full network.

Adrian

12 Jul 2013, 10:00 pm #103
(12 Jul 2013, 9:45 pm)Daniel

I am too a bit. It's amazing what can be done with percentages though. I've dropped them an email and asked for the values behind the percentages, but I can't see them handing the info over.... you don't ask and you don't get though... Smile

Adrian
12 Jul 2013, 10:00 pm #103

(12 Jul 2013, 9:45 pm)Daniel

I am too a bit. It's amazing what can be done with percentages though. I've dropped them an email and asked for the values behind the percentages, but I can't see them handing the info over.... you don't ask and you don't get though... Smile

MurdnunoC

12 Jul 2013, 10:15 pm #104
(12 Jul 2013, 2:12 pm)aureolin Was it Metro recruiting or Nexus? I remember seeing some vacancies a couple of months ago, but they were for Nexus directly. I'd assume it would be Metro staff manning the gates.

This is what one of status updates links to:

"Customer Service Advisors | Nexus
www.nexus.org.uk
Something exciting is happening on Metro and this is your opportunity to become part of it and join our customer service team. We are currently installing Automatic Ticket Gate lines at many stations across the network and"

It's cuts off there, and the link (to the vacancy) is now inaccessible. But as it mentions the 'Automatic Ticket Gate' I would presume it would be Nexus staff manning the gates. Nexus employ the Inspectors and this would be an extension of that role.

I did have a PDF of the Job Description (which I was going to post last night) but I must have deleted it. If I come across it, it'll put it on here.
MurdnunoC
12 Jul 2013, 10:15 pm #104

(12 Jul 2013, 2:12 pm)aureolin Was it Metro recruiting or Nexus? I remember seeing some vacancies a couple of months ago, but they were for Nexus directly. I'd assume it would be Metro staff manning the gates.

This is what one of status updates links to:

"Customer Service Advisors | Nexus
www.nexus.org.uk
Something exciting is happening on Metro and this is your opportunity to become part of it and join our customer service team. We are currently installing Automatic Ticket Gate lines at many stations across the network and"

It's cuts off there, and the link (to the vacancy) is now inaccessible. But as it mentions the 'Automatic Ticket Gate' I would presume it would be Nexus staff manning the gates. Nexus employ the Inspectors and this would be an extension of that role.

I did have a PDF of the Job Description (which I was going to post last night) but I must have deleted it. If I come across it, it'll put it on here.

Dan

Site Administrator

13 Jul 2013, 1:48 pm #105
An earlier failed train at Jesmond is causing delays of up to 30 minutes. Nexus are ensuring that we have our daily dosage of Metro madness! ;-)
Dan
13 Jul 2013, 1:48 pm #105

An earlier failed train at Jesmond is causing delays of up to 30 minutes. Nexus are ensuring that we have our daily dosage of Metro madness! ;-)

Adrian

13 Jul 2013, 3:44 pm #106
So far this month:

2nd July - "There are no trains running between Pelaw and South Hylton in both directions until further notice. This is due to a problem with the power supply. Go North East are accepting Metro tickets in the affected area. Bus services 9, 26A, 20 operate between Heworth and South Hylton. We will update you as soon as we have more information."

3rd July - "There are minor delays to trains running between South Gosforth and St James due to a failed train. Please leave extra time for your journey."

5th July - "Sunderland is closed and no trains will be stopping at the station until further notice. This is due to a station defect. A bus replacement service, the number 901 is in operation calling at or near to all stations between Park Lane and St. Peters. We will update you once we have more information"

6th July - "There are minor delays to trains running between South Shields and St James due to a train being withdrawn from service. Please leave extra time for your journey."

7th July - "There are minor delays to trains running between Shiremoor and South Shields due to a failed train. Please leave extra time for your journey."

8th July - "A train has been withdrawn from service at Howdon. Due to this we have a gap in the service towards St James. Please leave extra time for your journey if your're travelling in the area."

8th July - "There are minor delays to trains running between The Coast and South Shields due to a failed train. Please leave extra time for your journey."

9th July - "There are minor delays to trains running between South Hylton and Pelaw due to a failed train. Please leave extra time for your journey."

9th July - "Due to the extreme heat there are minor delays to services system wide. Metro apologise."

9th July - "There are major delays to trains running between Heworth and South Shields and South Hylton due to a technical fault. Please leave extra time for your journey."

12th July - "There are no trains running between Gateshead and Hebburn and Brockley Whinns in both directions, this is due to a problem with the power supply. We will update you once we have more information."

13th July - "A train has been withdrawn from service at South Gosforth. Due to this we have a gap in the service towards St James. Please leave extra time for your journey if your're travelling in the area."

13th July - "A train has been withdrawn from service at South Shields. Due to this we have a gap in the service towards St James. Please leave extra time for your journey if your're travelling in the area."

13th July - "There are minor delays to trains running between Airport and Regent Centre due to a train being withdrawn from service. Please leave extra time for your journey."

14th July - "There are major delays to trains running between Haymarket and Airport and The Coast due to a failed train. Please leave extra time for your journey."

14th July - "The Metro service is suspended between Haymarket and Jesmond in both directions due to a failed Train. Arriva Buses are accepting Metro tickets on all their services serving Metro Stations, and Go North East service 27 accepting Metro tickets between Newcastle City Centre and Pelaw. Metro apologise for the inconvenience."

14th July - "A train has been withdrawn from service at South Shields. Due to this we have a gap in the service towards Tynemouth. Please leave extra time for your journey if your're travelling in the area"

14th July - "We have delays towards South Shields and South Hylton caused by a train being taken out of service. Trains are running to all destinations."

16th July - "Minor delays to trains from Manors - Monkseaton due to a failed train."

17th July - "Minor delays to trains from Jesmond - Airport and The Coast due to a failed train."

17th July - "Delays South Shields-The Coast & Airport-South Hylton."

18th July - "There are no trains running between Monument and South Shields and Monument and Brockley Whins in both directions until further notice . This is due to problem with the overhead line. Go North East, bus service number 27 are accepting Metro tickets in the affected area. We will update you as soon as we have more information."

19th July - "There are minor delays to trains running between St. Peters and Airport due to a technical fault. Please leave extra time for your journey."

20th July - "There are major delays to trains running between West Jesmond and Airport and The Coast due to a failed train. Please leave extra time for your journey."

20th July - "There are major delays to trains running between South Shields and South Hylton and Airport and The Coast due to a failed train. Please leave extra time for your journey."

22nd July - "There are major delays to trains running between Monument and South Shields and South Hylton due to a failed train. Please leave extra time for your journey."

22nd July - "There are no trains running between Monument and Pelaw in both directions until further notice . This is due to a failed train. Bus replacement 900 is running between Monument and Pelaw. Go North East are accepting Metro tickets in the affected area. Bus services 57,58,27 operate between Monument and Pelaw. We will update you as soon as we have more information."

Adrian
13 Jul 2013, 3:44 pm #106

So far this month:

2nd July - "There are no trains running between Pelaw and South Hylton in both directions until further notice. This is due to a problem with the power supply. Go North East are accepting Metro tickets in the affected area. Bus services 9, 26A, 20 operate between Heworth and South Hylton. We will update you as soon as we have more information."

3rd July - "There are minor delays to trains running between South Gosforth and St James due to a failed train. Please leave extra time for your journey."

5th July - "Sunderland is closed and no trains will be stopping at the station until further notice. This is due to a station defect. A bus replacement service, the number 901 is in operation calling at or near to all stations between Park Lane and St. Peters. We will update you once we have more information"

6th July - "There are minor delays to trains running between South Shields and St James due to a train being withdrawn from service. Please leave extra time for your journey."

7th July - "There are minor delays to trains running between Shiremoor and South Shields due to a failed train. Please leave extra time for your journey."

8th July - "A train has been withdrawn from service at Howdon. Due to this we have a gap in the service towards St James. Please leave extra time for your journey if your're travelling in the area."

8th July - "There are minor delays to trains running between The Coast and South Shields due to a failed train. Please leave extra time for your journey."

9th July - "There are minor delays to trains running between South Hylton and Pelaw due to a failed train. Please leave extra time for your journey."

9th July - "Due to the extreme heat there are minor delays to services system wide. Metro apologise."

9th July - "There are major delays to trains running between Heworth and South Shields and South Hylton due to a technical fault. Please leave extra time for your journey."

12th July - "There are no trains running between Gateshead and Hebburn and Brockley Whinns in both directions, this is due to a problem with the power supply. We will update you once we have more information."

13th July - "A train has been withdrawn from service at South Gosforth. Due to this we have a gap in the service towards St James. Please leave extra time for your journey if your're travelling in the area."

13th July - "A train has been withdrawn from service at South Shields. Due to this we have a gap in the service towards St James. Please leave extra time for your journey if your're travelling in the area."

13th July - "There are minor delays to trains running between Airport and Regent Centre due to a train being withdrawn from service. Please leave extra time for your journey."

14th July - "There are major delays to trains running between Haymarket and Airport and The Coast due to a failed train. Please leave extra time for your journey."

14th July - "The Metro service is suspended between Haymarket and Jesmond in both directions due to a failed Train. Arriva Buses are accepting Metro tickets on all their services serving Metro Stations, and Go North East service 27 accepting Metro tickets between Newcastle City Centre and Pelaw. Metro apologise for the inconvenience."

14th July - "A train has been withdrawn from service at South Shields. Due to this we have a gap in the service towards Tynemouth. Please leave extra time for your journey if your're travelling in the area"

14th July - "We have delays towards South Shields and South Hylton caused by a train being taken out of service. Trains are running to all destinations."

16th July - "Minor delays to trains from Manors - Monkseaton due to a failed train."

17th July - "Minor delays to trains from Jesmond - Airport and The Coast due to a failed train."

17th July - "Delays South Shields-The Coast & Airport-South Hylton."

18th July - "There are no trains running between Monument and South Shields and Monument and Brockley Whins in both directions until further notice . This is due to problem with the overhead line. Go North East, bus service number 27 are accepting Metro tickets in the affected area. We will update you as soon as we have more information."

19th July - "There are minor delays to trains running between St. Peters and Airport due to a technical fault. Please leave extra time for your journey."

20th July - "There are major delays to trains running between West Jesmond and Airport and The Coast due to a failed train. Please leave extra time for your journey."

20th July - "There are major delays to trains running between South Shields and South Hylton and Airport and The Coast due to a failed train. Please leave extra time for your journey."

22nd July - "There are major delays to trains running between Monument and South Shields and South Hylton due to a failed train. Please leave extra time for your journey."

22nd July - "There are no trains running between Monument and Pelaw in both directions until further notice . This is due to a failed train. Bus replacement 900 is running between Monument and Pelaw. Go North East are accepting Metro tickets in the affected area. Bus services 57,58,27 operate between Monument and Pelaw. We will update you as soon as we have more information."

idiot

15 Jul 2013, 2:41 pm #107
(13 Jul 2013, 3:44 pm)aureolin 5th July - "Sunderland is closed and no trains will be stopping at the station until further notice. This is due to a station defect. A bus replacement service, the number 901 is in operation calling at or near to all stations between Park Lane and St. Peters. We will update you once we have more information"

What was the point in this bus replacement?!
idiot
15 Jul 2013, 2:41 pm #107

(13 Jul 2013, 3:44 pm)aureolin 5th July - "Sunderland is closed and no trains will be stopping at the station until further notice. This is due to a station defect. A bus replacement service, the number 901 is in operation calling at or near to all stations between Park Lane and St. Peters. We will update you once we have more information"

Adrian

15 Jul 2013, 4:32 pm #108
(15 Jul 2013, 2:41 pm)idiot

I'd say there's not a lot, as there's more than enough buses go from park lane/that area towards st peters. I guess the only problem would be potential distance for wheelchair users coming from South Hylton and wanting to continue further north.

Adrian
15 Jul 2013, 4:32 pm #108

I'd say there's not a lot, as there's more than enough buses go from park lane/that area towards st peters. I guess the only problem would be potential distance for wheelchair users coming from South Hylton and wanting to continue further north.

Dan

Site Administrator

15 Jul 2013, 7:42 pm #109

I don't believe it was ever organised. That, or the so called replacement only managed one run.
Dan
15 Jul 2013, 7:42 pm #109

I don't believe it was ever organised. That, or the so called replacement only managed one run.

Dan

Site Administrator

15 Jul 2013, 8:08 pm #110
No mention of it on their Twitter, but a Metro's brakes failed (or something along those lines) near Northumberland Park today. The train was subsequently taken away - presumably by one of those crafty little van things.
My mum was on the train at the time and told me some 'minor delays' were reported afterwards Wink
Dan
15 Jul 2013, 8:08 pm #110

No mention of it on their Twitter, but a Metro's brakes failed (or something along those lines) near Northumberland Park today. The train was subsequently taken away - presumably by one of those crafty little van things.
My mum was on the train at the time and told me some 'minor delays' were reported afterwards Wink

Adrian

15 Jul 2013, 10:44 pm #111
(15 Jul 2013, 8:08 pm)Daniel No mention of it on their Twitter, but a Metro's brakes failed (or something along those lines) near Northumberland Park today. The train was subsequently taken away - presumably by one of those crafty little van things.

It's becoming embarrassing really. I'd hate to still have to rely on it for work. I know they tried to blame having x amount of trains out of service for refurbishment at one point, but still, such a programme shouldn't be at the detriment of the customers.

Adrian
15 Jul 2013, 10:44 pm #111

(15 Jul 2013, 8:08 pm)Daniel No mention of it on their Twitter, but a Metro's brakes failed (or something along those lines) near Northumberland Park today. The train was subsequently taken away - presumably by one of those crafty little van things.

It's becoming embarrassing really. I'd hate to still have to rely on it for work. I know they tried to blame having x amount of trains out of service for refurbishment at one point, but still, such a programme shouldn't be at the detriment of the customers.

Michael

17 Jul 2013, 8:59 am #112
Once again, im glad i don't use the metro daily..

Tyne and Wear Metro
45 minutes ago
Trains are running to all destinations but with delays between South Shields and The Coast and between Airport and South Hylton, this is due to a failed train.

This was posted at around 10:15 am this morning

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
17 Jul 2013, 8:59 am #112

Once again, im glad i don't use the metro daily..

Tyne and Wear Metro
45 minutes ago
Trains are running to all destinations but with delays between South Shields and The Coast and between Airport and South Hylton, this is due to a failed train.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Adrian

17 Jul 2013, 9:23 am #113
(17 Jul 2013, 8:59 am)Michael Once again, im glad i don't use the metro daily..

Tyne and Wear Metro
45 minutes ago

Why don't they just say system wide delays? Huh

I've started updating the list above with any other delays posted. We'll see how big the list is come the end of the month.

Adrian
17 Jul 2013, 9:23 am #113

Tyne and Wear Metro
45 minutes ago

I've started updating the list above with any other delays posted. We'll see how big the list is come the end of the month.

Michael

17 Jul 2013, 9:26 am #114
(17 Jul 2013, 9:23 am)aureolin

Tyne and Wear Metro
45 minutes ago

No idea, Ive only used the Metro a few times and i hated it but if i ever got a job, after recent problems i would never use it haha

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
17 Jul 2013, 9:26 am #114

(17 Jul 2013, 9:23 am)aureolin

Tyne and Wear Metro
45 minutes ago

No idea, Ive only used the Metro a few times and i hated it but if i ever got a job, after recent problems i would never use it haha

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Dan

Site Administrator

17 Jul 2013, 3:59 pm #115
I try to use the Northern Rail train service between Sunderland and Newcastle as much as I can, rather than the Metro.
It's when the Metros actually delay the Northern Rail services when I get extremely annoyed.
Dan
17 Jul 2013, 3:59 pm #115

I try to use the Northern Rail train service between Sunderland and Newcastle as much as I can, rather than the Metro.
It's when the Metros actually delay the Northern Rail services when I get extremely annoyed.

MurdnunoC

17 Jul 2013, 9:34 pm #116
Does anyone else think that the modernisation programme has been largely mis-handled thus far?

Is there any point in refurbishing trains of which some are allegedly beyond treatment, while others are nearing the end of their life-span and are due for replacement within the next 10-15 years?

How do you think the £385 million should have been spent received for modernisation should have been spent?

For me, it should have been spent on new rolling-stock and new extensions. One extension, in my opinion, that could have been achieved relatively cheaply is the South Shields to Sunderland link. Looking at this map, you can see how easily it could be achieved. Whether people would use the service is an entirely different argument, but this new link does feature in Nexus' long-term planning for the Metro.
MurdnunoC
17 Jul 2013, 9:34 pm #116

Does anyone else think that the modernisation programme has been largely mis-handled thus far?

Is there any point in refurbishing trains of which some are allegedly beyond treatment, while others are nearing the end of their life-span and are due for replacement within the next 10-15 years?

How do you think the £385 million should have been spent received for modernisation should have been spent?

For me, it should have been spent on new rolling-stock and new extensions. One extension, in my opinion, that could have been achieved relatively cheaply is the South Shields to Sunderland link. Looking at this map, you can see how easily it could be achieved. Whether people would use the service is an entirely different argument, but this new link does feature in Nexus' long-term planning for the Metro.

Adrian

17 Jul 2013, 9:49 pm #117
It's all stuff that should have been done gradually instead of applying a big bang approach over the last couple of years. The system was completely neglected apart from the Sunderland extension (which was the cheap option anyway).

I'm glad they spent the money on the ticket barriers and ticket machines. The fact we still had a system in 2010 onwards that only took change was becoming a bit laughable. I know the decision to refurbish the Metrocars has baffled a lot of folk. To me it seems pointless refurbishing something that's past it's useful life. Surely it would be better spent pushing and pushing for the extra funding to replace the trains altogether. I don't think they would have refurbished if they expected to have new Metrocars running this side of the next 10 years, but hey, that's just speculation.

One decision that I see as a gross waste of money was the £7,000,000 decision to refurbish Sunderland station. It's not even owned by Nexus. It's like me speaking to my neighbour and offering to refurbish his whole house. It just wouldn't happen.

Adrian
17 Jul 2013, 9:49 pm #117

It's all stuff that should have been done gradually instead of applying a big bang approach over the last couple of years. The system was completely neglected apart from the Sunderland extension (which was the cheap option anyway).

I'm glad they spent the money on the ticket barriers and ticket machines. The fact we still had a system in 2010 onwards that only took change was becoming a bit laughable. I know the decision to refurbish the Metrocars has baffled a lot of folk. To me it seems pointless refurbishing something that's past it's useful life. Surely it would be better spent pushing and pushing for the extra funding to replace the trains altogether. I don't think they would have refurbished if they expected to have new Metrocars running this side of the next 10 years, but hey, that's just speculation.

One decision that I see as a gross waste of money was the £7,000,000 decision to refurbish Sunderland station. It's not even owned by Nexus. It's like me speaking to my neighbour and offering to refurbish his whole house. It just wouldn't happen.

Adrian

18 Jul 2013, 12:59 pm #118
According to a Nexus member of staff, the whole metro system is off. I'm at Gateshead now and everyone is being told to use buses. Apparently it's an "incident", and "confidential" when I asked what exactly.

Adrian
18 Jul 2013, 12:59 pm #118

According to a Nexus member of staff, the whole metro system is off. I'm at Gateshead now and everyone is being told to use buses. Apparently it's an "incident", and "confidential" when I asked what exactly.

Adrian

18 Jul 2013, 4:26 pm #119
The above mentioned incident turned out to be this;

"There are no trains running between Monument and South Shields and Monument and Brockley Whins in both directions until further notice . This is due to problem with the overhead line. Go North East, bus service number 27 are accepting Metro tickets in the affected area. We will update you as soon as we have more information.".

It started at approx 13.55, and the latest is;

"UPDATE: Trains are running between: Pelaw-South Hylton, Monument-Airport, Monument-St James at about a 15 minute frequency and Heworth and South Shields at about a 10 minute frequency.
There are no trains running between Monument and Heworth in both directions until further notice. This is due to a problem with the overhead line.

We do not anticipate that the line between Monument and Heworth will re-open tonight. We suggest customers make alternative travel arrangements if they can.

A replacement bus service 900 is running, calling at or close to all stations between Monument and Heworth. Go North East, bus service number 27 are accepting Metro tickets in the affected area."

I can't recall a time that Metro has had such unplanned downtime? From 2pm till what looks like the next morning - and that's an "if" at that.

Adrian
18 Jul 2013, 4:26 pm #119

The above mentioned incident turned out to be this;

"There are no trains running between Monument and South Shields and Monument and Brockley Whins in both directions until further notice . This is due to problem with the overhead line. Go North East, bus service number 27 are accepting Metro tickets in the affected area. We will update you as soon as we have more information.".

It started at approx 13.55, and the latest is;

"UPDATE: Trains are running between: Pelaw-South Hylton, Monument-Airport, Monument-St James at about a 15 minute frequency and Heworth and South Shields at about a 10 minute frequency.
There are no trains running between Monument and Heworth in both directions until further notice. This is due to a problem with the overhead line.

We do not anticipate that the line between Monument and Heworth will re-open tonight. We suggest customers make alternative travel arrangements if they can.

A replacement bus service 900 is running, calling at or close to all stations between Monument and Heworth. Go North East, bus service number 27 are accepting Metro tickets in the affected area."

I can't recall a time that Metro has had such unplanned downtime? From 2pm till what looks like the next morning - and that's an "if" at that.

BJ10VUS

18 Jul 2013, 6:45 pm #120
I don't mind if the Metro is off for a reason, because at the end of the day, it probably can't be helped. It's just the way they deal with it (and the fact it's now happening nearly EVERY day!)

Being told "Metro's off, you know?" by staff at the station doesn't really help. They should also learn which buses actually serve stations during the day and at other times - for example, when it was off in Sunderland a few days ago, according to the NEXUS website, the 26A could be used as a replacement - erm... isn't that just an evening service on weekdays?

Also, staff should be saying tickets can only be used on, for example, the 27 between Heworth and Newcastle. Passengers boarding the X9 today were turned away at Heworth, with the driver being described as "just being awkward" - at the end of the day, tickets aren't being accepted on other services and staff should tell people who probably don't know the buses as well this information.
BJ10VUS
18 Jul 2013, 6:45 pm #120

I don't mind if the Metro is off for a reason, because at the end of the day, it probably can't be helped. It's just the way they deal with it (and the fact it's now happening nearly EVERY day!)

Being told "Metro's off, you know?" by staff at the station doesn't really help. They should also learn which buses actually serve stations during the day and at other times - for example, when it was off in Sunderland a few days ago, according to the NEXUS website, the 26A could be used as a replacement - erm... isn't that just an evening service on weekdays?

Also, staff should be saying tickets can only be used on, for example, the 27 between Heworth and Newcastle. Passengers boarding the X9 today were turned away at Heworth, with the driver being described as "just being awkward" - at the end of the day, tickets aren't being accepted on other services and staff should tell people who probably don't know the buses as well this information.

Pages (146) Previous 15 6 7146 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average