Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Issuing Tickets For Concessionary Fares

Issuing Tickets For Concessionary Fares

Issuing Tickets For Concessionary Fares

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

gtom

Banned

21 Oct 2013, 8:15 pm #1
Does anybody know why a ticket is still issued when a concessionary or disabled card is used?

I know for example, Stanley Travel don't issue tickets but why do the big 3 issue tickets? Surely in the age of contactless key cards there must be a way of registering a card without issuing a needless ticket?
gtom
21 Oct 2013, 8:15 pm #1

Does anybody know why a ticket is still issued when a concessionary or disabled card is used?

I know for example, Stanley Travel don't issue tickets but why do the big 3 issue tickets? Surely in the age of contactless key cards there must be a way of registering a card without issuing a needless ticket?

Michael

21 Oct 2013, 8:18 pm #2
Thats a good question, its pointless and a waste of paper

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
21 Oct 2013, 8:18 pm #2

Thats a good question, its pointless and a waste of paper

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

busman101

21 Oct 2013, 8:49 pm #3
(21 Oct 2013, 8:15 pm)GTM Does anybody know why a ticket is still issued when a concessionary or disabled card is used?

It's all based on having proof of travel given to the customer, but in the days of smartcards, it's only a matter of time before that changes
busman101
21 Oct 2013, 8:49 pm #3

(21 Oct 2013, 8:15 pm)GTM Does anybody know why a ticket is still issued when a concessionary or disabled card is used?

It's all based on having proof of travel given to the customer, but in the days of smartcards, it's only a matter of time before that changes

gtom

Banned

21 Oct 2013, 9:17 pm #4
(21 Oct 2013, 8:49 pm)busman101 It's all based on having proof of travel given to the customer, but in the days of smartcards, it's only a matter of time before that changes

A nexus diktat then?
gtom
21 Oct 2013, 9:17 pm #4

(21 Oct 2013, 8:49 pm)busman101 It's all based on having proof of travel given to the customer, but in the days of smartcards, it's only a matter of time before that changes

A nexus diktat then?

eezypeazy

22 Oct 2013, 7:12 am #5
the pensioners' smartcard doesn't record on itself that it's been used. SO, should an inspector board the bus, even if he has a handheld card reader, he'll not know if the card has been presented to the ticket machine unless the pensioner has a piece of paper.
eezypeazy
22 Oct 2013, 7:12 am #5

the pensioners' smartcard doesn't record on itself that it's been used. SO, should an inspector board the bus, even if he has a handheld card reader, he'll not know if the card has been presented to the ticket machine unless the pensioner has a piece of paper.

Dan

Site Administrator

22 Oct 2013, 7:14 am #6
(22 Oct 2013, 7:12 am)eezypeazy the pensioners' smartcard doesn't record on itself that it's been used. SO, should an inspector board the bus, even if he has a handheld card reader, he'll not know if the card has been presented to the ticket machine unless the pensioner has a piece of paper.

Do Nexus (or whoever provides the old biddy passes) have any plans to update their cards so that the journeys are recorded?
Dan
22 Oct 2013, 7:14 am #6

(22 Oct 2013, 7:12 am)eezypeazy the pensioners' smartcard doesn't record on itself that it's been used. SO, should an inspector board the bus, even if he has a handheld card reader, he'll not know if the card has been presented to the ticket machine unless the pensioner has a piece of paper.

Do Nexus (or whoever provides the old biddy passes) have any plans to update their cards so that the journeys are recorded?

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

22 Oct 2013, 8:48 am #7

When I have seen inspectors recently, I have shown just my concessionary pass and no ticket and the Inspector has been fine with that...I dont see why a paper needs to be printed, surely it would not be an impossible task to put a chip in the ticket machine that registers every concessionary pass used
MrFozz
22 Oct 2013, 8:48 am #7

When I have seen inspectors recently, I have shown just my concessionary pass and no ticket and the Inspector has been fine with that...I dont see why a paper needs to be printed, surely it would not be an impossible task to put a chip in the ticket machine that registers every concessionary pass used

tyresmoke

22 Oct 2013, 8:55 am #8

Something must register as they're locked out for 5 mins from getting on another bus to stop the card being passed back to someone else to use...

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

tyresmoke
22 Oct 2013, 8:55 am #8

Something must register as they're locked out for 5 mins from getting on another bus to stop the card being passed back to someone else to use...

gtom

Banned

22 Oct 2013, 3:39 pm #9
Eezy, would it being used record on the system which GNE could then use as proof?

For example, you can log into keycard and view all of your recent journeys (where boarded, time etc)

And if they don't register, how do Stanley Travel get away with not issuing a ticket?
Edited 22 Oct 2013, 3:39 pm by gtom.
gtom
22 Oct 2013, 3:39 pm #9

Eezy, would it being used record on the system which GNE could then use as proof?

For example, you can log into keycard and view all of your recent journeys (where boarded, time etc)

And if they don't register, how do Stanley Travel get away with not issuing a ticket?

Andreos1

15 Apr 2014, 3:54 pm #10
Slightly different, but got issued with a receipt today after buying two tickets.

Never happened before.

Anyone have any ideas?

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
15 Apr 2014, 3:54 pm #10

Slightly different, but got issued with a receipt today after buying two tickets.

Never happened before.

Anyone have any ideas?

eezypeazy

15 Apr 2014, 4:38 pm #11
Perhaps it does the adding up for the driver... saves trying to do the mental maths...???
eezypeazy
15 Apr 2014, 4:38 pm #11

Perhaps it does the adding up for the driver... saves trying to do the mental maths...???

Andreos1

15 Apr 2014, 5:34 pm #12
(15 Apr 2014, 4:23 pm)AIG20 My mam pays for both mine and her fare when getting on the bus together - which is usually a Stagecoach Bus. When doing this she always gets a receipt at the bottom of the two tickets.

I suppose a receipt is written proof of how much you are charged in total.

Aye, but the two or three tickets you have just bought have the prices on regardless.

Just seems a bit daft companies are introducing smartcard technology, reducing the paper they use - but are adding receipts to bus tickets.

Never had one last weekend - but did today.

(15 Apr 2014, 4:38 pm)eezypeazy Perhaps it does the adding up for the driver... saves trying to do the mental maths...???

... and a receipt adds that up how?

Andreos1
15 Apr 2014, 5:34 pm #12

(15 Apr 2014, 4:23 pm)AIG20 My mam pays for both mine and her fare when getting on the bus together - which is usually a Stagecoach Bus. When doing this she always gets a receipt at the bottom of the two tickets.

I suppose a receipt is written proof of how much you are charged in total.

Aye, but the two or three tickets you have just bought have the prices on regardless.

Just seems a bit daft companies are introducing smartcard technology, reducing the paper they use - but are adding receipts to bus tickets.

(15 Apr 2014, 4:38 pm)eezypeazy Perhaps it does the adding up for the driver... saves trying to do the mental maths...???

... and a receipt adds that up how?

Dan

Site Administrator

15 Apr 2014, 5:44 pm #13
(15 Apr 2014, 5:34 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Aye, but the two or three tickets you have just bought have the prices on regardless.

Not sure about Go North East, but I know Stagecoach North East have had the 'receipts' for years.
Dan
15 Apr 2014, 5:44 pm #13

(15 Apr 2014, 5:34 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Aye, but the two or three tickets you have just bought have the prices on regardless.

Not sure about Go North East, but I know Stagecoach North East have had the 'receipts' for years.

Kuyoyo

15 Apr 2014, 5:49 pm #14

(15 Apr 2014, 5:44 pm)Dan Not sure about Go North East, but I know Stagecoach North East have had the 'receipts' for years.

Indeed - the ERG machines used by GNE and SNE both have the feature to issue receipts on multiple tickets but it all depends on how they have been input into the machine (ie issuing the tickets separately does not result in receipts for example)
Kuyoyo
15 Apr 2014, 5:49 pm #14

(15 Apr 2014, 5:44 pm)Dan Not sure about Go North East, but I know Stagecoach North East have had the 'receipts' for years.

Indeed - the ERG machines used by GNE and SNE both have the feature to issue receipts on multiple tickets but it all depends on how they have been input into the machine (ie issuing the tickets separately does not result in receipts for example)

Andreos1

15 Apr 2014, 6:41 pm #15
(15 Apr 2014, 5:49 pm)Kuyoyo Indeed - the ERG machines used by GNE and SNE both have the feature to issue receipts on multiple tickets but it all depends on how they have been input into the machine (ie issuing the tickets separately does not result in receipts for example)

Interesting.
The ones on the weekend, were bought together, but issued separately.
The ones today, were ran through together as one - which meant, the two fares plus the receipt came as one long ticket.
Edited 15 Apr 2014, 6:42 pm by Andreos1.

Andreos1
15 Apr 2014, 6:41 pm #15

(15 Apr 2014, 5:49 pm)Kuyoyo Indeed - the ERG machines used by GNE and SNE both have the feature to issue receipts on multiple tickets but it all depends on how they have been input into the machine (ie issuing the tickets separately does not result in receipts for example)

Interesting.
The ones today, were ran through together as one - which meant, the two fares plus the receipt came as one long ticket.

tyresmoke

15 Apr 2014, 6:54 pm #16
(15 Apr 2014, 6:41 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Interesting.

Yep can be done on the ERG machines. You can also multiply the tickets so you can (for example) put 4 singles on one ticket instead of printing out 4 tickets.
We had great fun when training on the machines finding the highest fare and doing 99 of them (the maximum it will do) on one ticket to get the highest taking lol
It's a really nifty bit of the software which I wish Wayfarer had.

tyresmoke
15 Apr 2014, 6:54 pm #16

(15 Apr 2014, 6:41 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Interesting.

Yep can be done on the ERG machines. You can also multiply the tickets so you can (for example) put 4 singles on one ticket instead of printing out 4 tickets.
We had great fun when training on the machines finding the highest fare and doing 99 of them (the maximum it will do) on one ticket to get the highest taking lol
It's a really nifty bit of the software which I wish Wayfarer had.

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average