Menu

North East Buses Other Forms of Transport Railways Leamside Line

Leamside Line

Leamside Line

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (6) Previous 13 4 5 6 Next
05 Feb 2022, 4:31 pm #61
(05 Feb 2022, 10:06 am)Andreos1 I'm not sure how feasible it would be to put on the old site. 

My own thoughts were that it would be somewhere down by the Sage itself. Maybe opposite the bingo where theres a car park currently.
That would be closer to the College as well, East Street and its little tributaries is closest on the west side, up to Union Electric Steel, east side is the back of, and car park adjacent to, the college.
54APhotography
05 Feb 2022, 4:31 pm #61

(05 Feb 2022, 10:06 am)Andreos1 I'm not sure how feasible it would be to put on the old site. 

My own thoughts were that it would be somewhere down by the Sage itself. Maybe opposite the bingo where theres a car park currently.
That would be closer to the College as well, East Street and its little tributaries is closest on the west side, up to Union Electric Steel, east side is the back of, and car park adjacent to, the college.

Storx

05 Feb 2022, 7:43 pm #62

If it was down there it would have to be all the way down by Coulthards Lane. New stations on curves are banned now hence some of the rather bizarre positioning of stations on the B&T line.

I'm not sure whether it would be plausable but it's shame they could jam a station on the viaduct here. It would be ideal for the Sage and the Sage even if it was only single platform. Don't see it being a big issue on a 30 min max service.
Storx
05 Feb 2022, 7:43 pm #62

If it was down there it would have to be all the way down by Coulthards Lane. New stations on curves are banned now hence some of the rather bizarre positioning of stations on the B&T line.

I'm not sure whether it would be plausable but it's shame they could jam a station on the viaduct here. It would be ideal for the Sage and the Sage even if it was only single platform. Don't see it being a big issue on a 30 min max service.

06 Feb 2022, 7:24 am #63
(05 Feb 2022, 7:43 pm)Storx If it was down there it would have to be all the way down by Coulthards Lane. New stations on curves are banned now hence some of the rather bizarre positioning of stations on the B&T line.

St. Peter's is an ideal option for a station on the short straight by Oakwellgate, otherwise the next straight is over Coulthards Lane
54APhotography
06 Feb 2022, 7:24 am #63

(05 Feb 2022, 7:43 pm)Storx If it was down there it would have to be all the way down by Coulthards Lane. New stations on curves are banned now hence some of the rather bizarre positioning of stations on the B&T line.

St. Peter's is an ideal option for a station on the short straight by Oakwellgate, otherwise the next straight is over Coulthards Lane

Adrian

08 Feb 2022, 2:00 pm #64
Debate on the Leamside takes place at Westminster Hall in Parliament today: https://parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/9f...12ddfae98d

Should start around 14.30.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
08 Feb 2022, 2:00 pm #64

Debate on the Leamside takes place at Westminster Hall in Parliament today: https://parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/9f...12ddfae98d

Should start around 14.30.

Andreos1

10 Feb 2022, 2:28 pm #65

Yeah, that's a point I never thought of. 

Looking at the track layout as well, I'm guessing there's going to be some realignment work needed.
Only the northern most tracks are set up to head to/from the High Level.
The pair of tracks to the south of the alignment, continue alongside the old yard.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
10 Feb 2022, 2:28 pm #65

Yeah, that's a point I never thought of. 

Looking at the track layout as well, I'm guessing there's going to be some realignment work needed.
Only the northern most tracks are set up to head to/from the High Level.
The pair of tracks to the south of the alignment, continue alongside the old yard.

Andreos1

29 Aug 2022, 11:10 am #66
https://www.facebook.com/groups/56206974...sn=scwspmo&ref=share

Just seen this on fb.

Not sure if the link will work or not. So...

Victoria Viaduct to have new anti trespass gates and fencing to replace existing ones.  Plans can be viewed on Sunderland Council Website. 22/01637/LBC 

Andreos1
29 Aug 2022, 11:10 am #66

https://www.facebook.com/groups/56206974...sn=scwspmo&ref=share

Just seen this on fb.

Not sure if the link will work or not. So...

Victoria Viaduct to have new anti trespass gates and fencing to replace existing ones.  Plans can be viewed on Sunderland Council Website. 22/01637/LBC 

Andreos1

19 Mar 2023, 5:46 pm #67
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-te...=editorial&at_link_type=web_link&at_campaign_type=owned&at_campaign=Social_Flow&at_link_origin=BBC_Radio_Newcastle&at_medium=social&at_format=image&at_link_id=951D146C-C649-11ED-AABD-A971AD7C7D13&at_ptr_name=facebook_page

Dicky when pressed on opening the Derwent Line up to Consett went a bright red colour and his tact changed completely...

Andreos1
19 Mar 2023, 5:46 pm #67

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-te...=editorial&at_link_type=web_link&at_campaign_type=owned&at_campaign=Social_Flow&at_link_origin=BBC_Radio_Newcastle&at_medium=social&at_format=image&at_link_id=951D146C-C649-11ED-AABD-A971AD7C7D13&at_ptr_name=facebook_page

Dicky when pressed on opening the Derwent Line up to Consett went a bright red colour and his tact changed completely...

MurdnunoC

19 Mar 2023, 5:51 pm #68
(19 Mar 2023, 5:46 pm)Andreos1 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-te...=editorial&at_link_type=web_link&at_campaign_type=owned&at_campaign=Social_Flow&at_link_origin=BBC_Radio_Newcastle&at_medium=social&at_format=image&at_link_id=951D146C-C649-11ED-AABD-A971AD7C7D13&at_ptr_name=facebook_page

It was never going to happen, at least up the Derwent Valley anyway. He obviously doesn't visit the area outside of the odd surgery visit and photo opportunity. If he did, he'd know that there's nowt between Swalwell and The Gill, then nothing again between The Gill and Shotley Bridge. He'd also be aware that Metrocentre is looking more and more like Gateshead High Street these days, with the amount of boarded up shops dotted around the place. 

Going the other way through Annfield Plain and Stanley may have its challenges, infrastructurally speaking, but at least it serves two large towns and several villages on route.
MurdnunoC
19 Mar 2023, 5:51 pm #68

(19 Mar 2023, 5:46 pm)Andreos1 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-te...=editorial&at_link_type=web_link&at_campaign_type=owned&at_campaign=Social_Flow&at_link_origin=BBC_Radio_Newcastle&at_medium=social&at_format=image&at_link_id=951D146C-C649-11ED-AABD-A971AD7C7D13&at_ptr_name=facebook_page

It was never going to happen, at least up the Derwent Valley anyway. He obviously doesn't visit the area outside of the odd surgery visit and photo opportunity. If he did, he'd know that there's nowt between Swalwell and The Gill, then nothing again between The Gill and Shotley Bridge. He'd also be aware that Metrocentre is looking more and more like Gateshead High Street these days, with the amount of boarded up shops dotted around the place. 

Going the other way through Annfield Plain and Stanley may have its challenges, infrastructurally speaking, but at least it serves two large towns and several villages on route.

DeltaMan

04 Oct 2023, 12:31 pm #69
(04 Oct 2023, 12:08 pm)Adrian HS2 canned then. Worst kept secret ever: https://news.sky.com/story/hs2-rishi-sun...d-12976382

HS2 will be limited to Euston-Birmingham. Apparently this frees up £36bn for "hundreds of new transport projects in the North and the Midlands, and across the country". It remains to be seen whether this is new money, or the usual trick of recycling old money.

Oh, and it didn't take long: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOJHz3pU7mI

Look what we've 'won' though...things that should happen anyway! (Leamside line aside) .... https://www.gov.uk/government/news/find-...our-region
DeltaMan
04 Oct 2023, 12:31 pm #69

(04 Oct 2023, 12:08 pm)Adrian HS2 canned then. Worst kept secret ever: https://news.sky.com/story/hs2-rishi-sun...d-12976382

HS2 will be limited to Euston-Birmingham. Apparently this frees up £36bn for "hundreds of new transport projects in the North and the Midlands, and across the country". It remains to be seen whether this is new money, or the usual trick of recycling old money.

Oh, and it didn't take long: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOJHz3pU7mI

Look what we've 'won' though...things that should happen anyway! (Leamside line aside) .... https://www.gov.uk/government/news/find-...our-region

Storx

04 Oct 2023, 1:31 pm #70
(04 Oct 2023, 12:31 pm)DeltaMan Look what we've 'won' though...things that should happen anyway! (Leamside line aside) .... https://www.gov.uk/government/news/find-...our-region

None of that will happen, it's easy to announce stuff when you'll be going in 12 months time.
Storx
04 Oct 2023, 1:31 pm #70

(04 Oct 2023, 12:31 pm)DeltaMan Look what we've 'won' though...things that should happen anyway! (Leamside line aside) .... https://www.gov.uk/government/news/find-...our-region

None of that will happen, it's easy to announce stuff when you'll be going in 12 months time.

Unber43

04 Oct 2023, 10:31 pm #71
Where does Leamside even go?
Unber43
04 Oct 2023, 10:31 pm #71

Where does Leamside even go?

04 Oct 2023, 10:43 pm #72
(04 Oct 2023, 10:31 pm)Unber43 Where does Leamside even go?

[Image: Leamside-map-please-note-all-station-loc...4x1024.jpg]
Ferryhill to Pelaw via Washington.
deanmachine
04 Oct 2023, 10:43 pm #72

(04 Oct 2023, 10:31 pm)Unber43 Where does Leamside even go?

[Image: Leamside-map-please-note-all-station-loc...4x1024.jpg]
Ferryhill to Pelaw via Washington.

Unber43

04 Oct 2023, 11:14 pm #73
thank you!
Unber43
04 Oct 2023, 11:14 pm #73

thank you!

05 Oct 2023, 6:34 am #74
Not sure of the wisdom of calling a station "Durham Parkway" when you cannot catch a train from there into Durham! Imagine the confusion for visitors, parking at the Parkway station, asking for a ticket to Durham and then finding out they'll be travelling all the way up to Newcastle to change and come back done again.
Ianthegoon
05 Oct 2023, 6:34 am #74

Not sure of the wisdom of calling a station "Durham Parkway" when you cannot catch a train from there into Durham! Imagine the confusion for visitors, parking at the Parkway station, asking for a ticket to Durham and then finding out they'll be travelling all the way up to Newcastle to change and come back done again.

cbma06

05 Oct 2023, 8:10 am #75
(05 Oct 2023, 6:34 am)Ianthegoon Not sure of the wisdom of calling a station "Durham Parkway" when you cannot catch a train from there into Durham! Imagine the confusion for visitors, parking at the Parkway station, asking for a ticket to Durham and then finding out they'll be travelling all the way up to Newcastle to change and come back done again.

Maybe there used to be a gilesgate/belmont old Durham train station terminus there originally well before Durham city boundry shrunk, and if what history goes by it’s where the A690 dual carriageway got built.

It’s more similar to Seaburn Station , where the younger generation thinks it’s nowhere near Seaburn seafront because it’s too far for them to walk but never bothered with the older generation in the olden days , younger generation wants to be spoon fed from the corrupt government

The leamside original plan for reopening by the existing government was only going to reopen the southern end of leamside to have a bypass for Durham station with the line connected north of Durham station, and that ended up scrapped as usual

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbma06
05 Oct 2023, 8:10 am #75

(05 Oct 2023, 6:34 am)Ianthegoon Not sure of the wisdom of calling a station "Durham Parkway" when you cannot catch a train from there into Durham! Imagine the confusion for visitors, parking at the Parkway station, asking for a ticket to Durham and then finding out they'll be travelling all the way up to Newcastle to change and come back done again.

Maybe there used to be a gilesgate/belmont old Durham train station terminus there originally well before Durham city boundry shrunk, and if what history goes by it’s where the A690 dual carriageway got built.

It’s more similar to Seaburn Station , where the younger generation thinks it’s nowhere near Seaburn seafront because it’s too far for them to walk but never bothered with the older generation in the olden days , younger generation wants to be spoon fed from the corrupt government

The leamside original plan for reopening by the existing government was only going to reopen the southern end of leamside to have a bypass for Durham station with the line connected north of Durham station, and that ended up scrapped as usual

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Storx

05 Oct 2023, 8:33 am #76
(05 Oct 2023, 6:34 am)Ianthegoon Not sure of the wisdom of calling a station "Durham Parkway" when you cannot catch a train from there into Durham!  Imagine the confusion for visitors, parking at the Parkway station, asking for a ticket to Durham and then finding out they'll be travelling all the way up to Newcastle to change and come back done again.

Parkway stations are stations that serve a P&R (Belmont Park and Ride) or other form of car park rather than serving a town. I'd assume the idea would be you'd use the P&R and bus towards Durham but alternatively you could use the train to Newcastle, Sunderland or anywhere really that the station serves.

There's quite a few parkway stations around.
Storx
05 Oct 2023, 8:33 am #76

(05 Oct 2023, 6:34 am)Ianthegoon Not sure of the wisdom of calling a station "Durham Parkway" when you cannot catch a train from there into Durham!  Imagine the confusion for visitors, parking at the Parkway station, asking for a ticket to Durham and then finding out they'll be travelling all the way up to Newcastle to change and come back done again.

Parkway stations are stations that serve a P&R (Belmont Park and Ride) or other form of car park rather than serving a town. I'd assume the idea would be you'd use the P&R and bus towards Durham but alternatively you could use the train to Newcastle, Sunderland or anywhere really that the station serves.

There's quite a few parkway stations around.

Storx

05 Oct 2023, 8:46 am #77
(05 Oct 2023, 8:10 am)cbma06 It’s more similar to Seaburn Station , where the younger generation thinks it’s nowhere near Seaburn seafront because it’s too far for them to walk but never bothered with the older generation in the olden days , younger generation wants to be spoon fed from the corrupt government

Probably a different thing that mind, Seaburn Station just isn't in Seaburn, it's literally in the middle of Fulwell. It's just completely wrong and always has been.

There's quite a few stations that are similar and some of the places became named after them

Jesmond / West Jesmond (West is more central than Jesmond, which is borderline Shieldfield), South Gosforth (It's really East), Alnmouth (Hipsburn) to pick out a few up here.
Storx
05 Oct 2023, 8:46 am #77

(05 Oct 2023, 8:10 am)cbma06 It’s more similar to Seaburn Station , where the younger generation thinks it’s nowhere near Seaburn seafront because it’s too far for them to walk but never bothered with the older generation in the olden days , younger generation wants to be spoon fed from the corrupt government

Probably a different thing that mind, Seaburn Station just isn't in Seaburn, it's literally in the middle of Fulwell. It's just completely wrong and always has been.

There's quite a few stations that are similar and some of the places became named after them

Jesmond / West Jesmond (West is more central than Jesmond, which is borderline Shieldfield), South Gosforth (It's really East), Alnmouth (Hipsburn) to pick out a few up here.

Unber43

05 Oct 2023, 8:52 am #78
is Leamside track stil down, or will it need all rebuilding
Unber43
05 Oct 2023, 8:52 am #78

is Leamside track stil down, or will it need all rebuilding

05 Oct 2023, 9:24 am #79
(05 Oct 2023, 8:52 am)Unber43 is Leamside track stil down, or will it need all rebuilding

All needs rebuilding, but the right of way is still all there so there's nothing in the way. The track used to be there into the early 2000s, my Dad lives next to it in Biddick Woods and we used to walk along it when I was a kid, but it's definitely gone now.
deanmachine
05 Oct 2023, 9:24 am #79

(05 Oct 2023, 8:52 am)Unber43 is Leamside track stil down, or will it need all rebuilding

All needs rebuilding, but the right of way is still all there so there's nothing in the way. The track used to be there into the early 2000s, my Dad lives next to it in Biddick Woods and we used to walk along it when I was a kid, but it's definitely gone now.

Adrian

05 Oct 2023, 9:40 am #80
(05 Oct 2023, 9:24 am)deanmachine All needs rebuilding, but the right of way is still all there so there's nothing in the way. The track used to be there into the early 2000s, my Dad lives next to it in Biddick Woods and we used to walk along it when I was a kid, but it's definitely gone now.

It was early 2010s that all the track was removed. This was following some theft of it a couple years earlier in the Penshaw area.

The Viaduct is also fenced off and would likely need some structural work. Though I understand Network Rail still monitor and 'maintain' it.

Adrian
05 Oct 2023, 9:40 am #80

(05 Oct 2023, 9:24 am)deanmachine All needs rebuilding, but the right of way is still all there so there's nothing in the way. The track used to be there into the early 2000s, my Dad lives next to it in Biddick Woods and we used to walk along it when I was a kid, but it's definitely gone now.

It was early 2010s that all the track was removed. This was following some theft of it a couple years earlier in the Penshaw area.

The Viaduct is also fenced off and would likely need some structural work. Though I understand Network Rail still monitor and 'maintain' it.

Pages (6) Previous 13 4 5 6 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average