Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Service Suggestions

Go North East: Service Suggestions

Go North East: Service Suggestions

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average

Pages (153): 1 2 3153 Next
Tom

10 Dec 2012, 6:10 pm #1
This will be about your suggestions for services...

A: A bus between Newcastle and Barley Mow, via Gateshead, Q.E Hospital, Wrekenton and Birtley?

B: A bus between North Tyneside and the MetroCentre?
Tom
10 Dec 2012, 6:10 pm #1

This will be about your suggestions for services...

A: A bus between Newcastle and Barley Mow, via Gateshead, Q.E Hospital, Wrekenton and Birtley?

Dan

Site Administrator

10 Dec 2012, 6:41 pm #2
I'd like to see the "Tyne Tees eXpress" services re-routed to include Sunderland. Though this would increase the journey time by approximately 40 minutes or so, I think this would be better.
These (improved) services could then replace Sunderland's X3 service, allowing the current Citaros and/or Renowns to be used on another service (such as the one you suggested) or to replace smaller vehicles (such as MPDs) on the 39 service.
In addition to it replacing the X3 and ultimately being a lot better (further buses after 6pm or so when the X3s finish), it could provide an additional direct service to Peterlee - the 202 would still operate to cover those stops the X9/X10 don't due to it being a limited stop service.
Those who want to stop before Boldon should use the 26 or 9 services. ;-)

Oh yeah, and this would hopefully provide a more reliable timetable. The X9/X10 services rarely have waiting time at Newcastle as they should. With the additional 10 minutes or so waiting time required at Newcastle for the timings to work as they should, the driver would actually get the waiting time!
Dan
10 Dec 2012, 6:41 pm #2

I'd like to see the "Tyne Tees eXpress" services re-routed to include Sunderland. Though this would increase the journey time by approximately 40 minutes or so, I think this would be better.
These (improved) services could then replace Sunderland's X3 service, allowing the current Citaros and/or Renowns to be used on another service (such as the one you suggested) or to replace smaller vehicles (such as MPDs) on the 39 service.
In addition to it replacing the X3 and ultimately being a lot better (further buses after 6pm or so when the X3s finish), it could provide an additional direct service to Peterlee - the 202 would still operate to cover those stops the X9/X10 don't due to it being a limited stop service.
Those who want to stop before Boldon should use the 26 or 9 services. ;-)

Oh yeah, and this would hopefully provide a more reliable timetable. The X9/X10 services rarely have waiting time at Newcastle as they should. With the additional 10 minutes or so waiting time required at Newcastle for the timings to work as they should, the driver would actually get the waiting time!

Michael

10 Dec 2012, 7:57 pm #3
Would be good to see the X9/X10 in to Sunderland but don't think it would happen, if so it probley's be 1 a hour.

Which way would it go its quite a long way from the A19 to Park Lane, including Traffic etc

It would be nice to see a bus to Middlesbough/Darlington from Sunderland like the good old days.

Like to see the X88 run more often, shame not enough people use it.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
10 Dec 2012, 7:57 pm #3

Would be good to see the X9/X10 in to Sunderland but don't think it would happen, if so it probley's be 1 a hour.

Which way would it go its quite a long way from the A19 to Park Lane, including Traffic etc

It would be nice to see a bus to Middlesbough/Darlington from Sunderland like the good old days.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

10 Dec 2012, 8:22 pm #4
(10 Dec 2012, 6:10 pm)W179SCU This will be about your suggestions for services...

Northern to extend the OK18 to Evenwood and Ramshaw to cover the appalling "service" now offered by the ridiculous new timetable on the Arriva 6 and 50/A. The 6 is probably the worst designed timetable I have ever seen, a 12 min frequency with two extending to Cockfield, one having a 3 min lay-over, the other 15 min.
Greg in Weardale
10 Dec 2012, 8:22 pm #4

(10 Dec 2012, 6:10 pm)W179SCU This will be about your suggestions for services...

Northern to extend the OK18 to Evenwood and Ramshaw to cover the appalling "service" now offered by the ridiculous new timetable on the Arriva 6 and 50/A. The 6 is probably the worst designed timetable I have ever seen, a 12 min frequency with two extending to Cockfield, one having a 3 min lay-over, the other 15 min.

ian

10 Dec 2012, 8:48 pm #5
(10 Dec 2012, 8:22 pm)Greg in Weardale

Nice suggestion greg. Service 6 doesn't run to timetable with buses generally running in pairs or even 3 together. elderly folk from Ramshaw who were used to a bus taking about an hour to durham now have a lengthy journey time taking in most of the wear valley.
ian
10 Dec 2012, 8:48 pm #5

(10 Dec 2012, 8:22 pm)Greg in Weardale

Nice suggestion greg. Service 6 doesn't run to timetable with buses generally running in pairs or even 3 together. elderly folk from Ramshaw who were used to a bus taking about an hour to durham now have a lengthy journey time taking in most of the wear valley.

Dan

Site Administrator

10 Dec 2012, 9:58 pm #6
(10 Dec 2012, 7:57 pm)Michael Would be good to see the X9/X10 in to Sunderland but don't think it would happen, if so it probley's be 1 a hour.

In an idealistic situation, they would cover the same route as the X3 from Newcastle to Park Lane - it would still serve Gateshead, Heworth and Boldon, but would not serve places like Fulwell etc that the current X3 service does. Should members of the public wish to alight the bus there, they should use an alternative service (ie the 26 or 9, as mentioned above). So, we can conclude as the service is missing out a series of stops, it will take less than 53 minutes to get from Newcastle to Sunderland as the current X3 does, and perhaps, more like 45 minutes.
From Sunderland, the service would not stop until it got to Peterlee. To get to Peterlee, it would follow the same route as the 60/61 etc to Ryhope. From Ryhope, it isn't so difficult to navigate its way back onto the A19. Perhaps this would take approximately 25 minutes from Sunderland to Peterlee? From there, the services could resume their normal regimes... The X9 serves Peterlee, while the X10 doesn't, and the X10 serves Stockton while the X9 does not.

If, for whatever reason, this was ever suggested to GNE and they decided to elaborate on this suggestion... They could work it so the X9 serves Sunderland and misses Peterlee and Stockton while the X10 doesn't serve Sunderland but serves both Peterlee and Stockton?

Meh, I don't know. Always thought it stupid that the X9/X10 don't serve Sunderland though.
Dan
10 Dec 2012, 9:58 pm #6

(10 Dec 2012, 7:57 pm)Michael Would be good to see the X9/X10 in to Sunderland but don't think it would happen, if so it probley's be 1 a hour.

In an idealistic situation, they would cover the same route as the X3 from Newcastle to Park Lane - it would still serve Gateshead, Heworth and Boldon, but would not serve places like Fulwell etc that the current X3 service does. Should members of the public wish to alight the bus there, they should use an alternative service (ie the 26 or 9, as mentioned above). So, we can conclude as the service is missing out a series of stops, it will take less than 53 minutes to get from Newcastle to Sunderland as the current X3 does, and perhaps, more like 45 minutes.
From Sunderland, the service would not stop until it got to Peterlee. To get to Peterlee, it would follow the same route as the 60/61 etc to Ryhope. From Ryhope, it isn't so difficult to navigate its way back onto the A19. Perhaps this would take approximately 25 minutes from Sunderland to Peterlee? From there, the services could resume their normal regimes... The X9 serves Peterlee, while the X10 doesn't, and the X10 serves Stockton while the X9 does not.

If, for whatever reason, this was ever suggested to GNE and they decided to elaborate on this suggestion... They could work it so the X9 serves Sunderland and misses Peterlee and Stockton while the X10 doesn't serve Sunderland but serves both Peterlee and Stockton?

Meh, I don't know. Always thought it stupid that the X9/X10 don't serve Sunderland though.

Michael

11 Dec 2012, 6:12 am #7
Never know it could happen, would be a good idea to have the X9 serve Sunderland and the X10 both Peterlee and Stockton, Think the branding would have to change.. Tyne ,Wear Tee's Express - lol

I would also have a bus Sunderland - Pennywell - Boldon Via Castletown and Hytlon Castle - Part of the old 537,

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
11 Dec 2012, 6:12 am #7

Never know it could happen, would be a good idea to have the X9 serve Sunderland and the X10 both Peterlee and Stockton, Think the branding would have to change.. Tyne ,Wear Tee's Express - lol

I would also have a bus Sunderland - Pennywell - Boldon Via Castletown and Hytlon Castle - Part of the old 537,

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Michael

16 Dec 2012, 11:12 am #8
Service Suggestion.

Well its not a suggestion more of a change to current route

Service 73: Go North East/Nexus

The Service currently does Coach Road Estate/Concord – Teal Farm – Sunderland, i think more people would use it if NEXUS, extended this from concord to Washington Galleries also change its route from Park Lane to Castletown by letting go down towards Fawcett Street and then past the Town Bridge and on to its current route to Castletown all its missing out is Green Terrance towards Castletown, it could still go that way on its route back in to Park Lane, would add a extra time on but it might make the usage more.

So my route would be...

Park lane - Fawcett Street - St Mary's way - Queen Alexandra Bridge,Sunderland Enterprise Park east end, Hylton Riverside Retail Park,Sunderland Ent Pk, Defender Ct, Castletown,Sunrise Enterprise Park, Waterview Park,Teal Farm estate,Washington District 15 Exit,Peel Retail Park, Sulgrave,Washington Concord Bus Station,Coach Road Estate - Washington Galleries

The way back would be the same untill it gets to st Marys way and it does its current route to park lane.. Via Green Terrance

What does everyone think?
Edited 16 Dec 2012, 11:24 am by Michael.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
16 Dec 2012, 11:12 am #8

Service Suggestion.

Well its not a suggestion more of a change to current route

Service 73: Go North East/Nexus

The Service currently does Coach Road Estate/Concord – Teal Farm – Sunderland, i think more people would use it if NEXUS, extended this from concord to Washington Galleries also change its route from Park Lane to Castletown by letting go down towards Fawcett Street and then past the Town Bridge and on to its current route to Castletown all its missing out is Green Terrance towards Castletown, it could still go that way on its route back in to Park Lane, would add a extra time on but it might make the usage more.

So my route would be...

Park lane - Fawcett Street - St Mary's way - Queen Alexandra Bridge,Sunderland Enterprise Park east end, Hylton Riverside Retail Park,Sunderland Ent Pk, Defender Ct, Castletown,Sunrise Enterprise Park, Waterview Park,Teal Farm estate,Washington District 15 Exit,Peel Retail Park, Sulgrave,Washington Concord Bus Station,Coach Road Estate - Washington Galleries

The way back would be the same untill it gets to st Marys way and it does its current route to park lane.. Via Green Terrance

What does everyone think?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

NEB Admin Team

Unregistered

16 Dec 2012, 11:49 am #9
That sounds like a good idea to me! The extension to Washington Galleries would probably require an additional bus, not sure if Nexus could afford this at the moment, but if there was any way to serve Washington Galleries while keeping the 2 buses then that would be brilliant and should improve passenger numbers! What I'd love to see for the 73 is for it to follow the 26 and 99 routes through Castletown, so it goes around Morrisons and serves the doctors at North Hylton. That would only add 1 minute in each direction and there's plenty of layover at Sunderland to absorb it. Something does need to be done about the 73 though, it seems to carry very few passengers. Go North East once told me that they were trying to see if they could squeeze in the Defender Court diversion into the 99 like the 36A/36C used to, following representations from workers there. If this happened, passenger numbers on the 73 would probably fall even more.

If the QCS goes ahead, I think all services are likely to be subject to major changes. But Greg Stone, whose a member of the ITA, said recently in the skyscrapercity forums that "If anything, the network may even be smaller than it is at present; the proposals Nexus has consulted on constitute significant reductions in service levels in areas including South Shields and parts of Sunderland." This seems rather worrying to me!
NEB Admin Team
16 Dec 2012, 11:49 am #9

That sounds like a good idea to me! The extension to Washington Galleries would probably require an additional bus, not sure if Nexus could afford this at the moment, but if there was any way to serve Washington Galleries while keeping the 2 buses then that would be brilliant and should improve passenger numbers! What I'd love to see for the 73 is for it to follow the 26 and 99 routes through Castletown, so it goes around Morrisons and serves the doctors at North Hylton. That would only add 1 minute in each direction and there's plenty of layover at Sunderland to absorb it. Something does need to be done about the 73 though, it seems to carry very few passengers. Go North East once told me that they were trying to see if they could squeeze in the Defender Court diversion into the 99 like the 36A/36C used to, following representations from workers there. If this happened, passenger numbers on the 73 would probably fall even more.

If the QCS goes ahead, I think all services are likely to be subject to major changes. But Greg Stone, whose a member of the ITA, said recently in the skyscrapercity forums that "If anything, the network may even be smaller than it is at present; the proposals Nexus has consulted on constitute significant reductions in service levels in areas including South Shields and parts of Sunderland." This seems rather worrying to me!

Michael

16 Dec 2012, 1:45 pm #10
I always thought the 73 went past Morrison's and the dr's, if they did i think numbers would go up, not high but maybe a few more, there are alot of old people who live near there would benifit from a service like the 73

If services drop from NEXUS cuts, GNE,stagecoach,Arriva should try and run the contract services which they will loose but i have a feeling the 73 will be one of them, i dont know which services are secured for stagecoach Sunderland or if certain timings, GNE should run the 39 7 days a week, even if its just hourly.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
16 Dec 2012, 1:45 pm #10

I always thought the 73 went past Morrison's and the dr's, if they did i think numbers would go up, not high but maybe a few more, there are alot of old people who live near there would benifit from a service like the 73

If services drop from NEXUS cuts, GNE,stagecoach,Arriva should try and run the contract services which they will loose but i have a feeling the 73 will be one of them, i dont know which services are secured for stagecoach Sunderland or if certain timings, GNE should run the 39 7 days a week, even if its just hourly.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

NEB Admin Team

Unregistered

16 Dec 2012, 3:44 pm #11
Yeah the 73 is only running past Morrisons at the moment because of the diversion route which will continue until mid-January I think. It normally runs in front of Storey Carpets instead. It doesn't serve the turning circle at the Broadway either near where the doctors is. There's a route map on the GNE site.

You could be right about the 39. If the ITA opts for the bus partnership scheme, the bus operators have committed themselves to operating more secured services on a commercial basis, so GNE could end up running all 39's.

What I'd love to see for the 135/136 is for it changed into the 99A from Sunderland right round to Seaburn, but instead of turning into Morrisons, have it terminate at South Bents Estate. The PVR would remain the same at 2, but it would provide an evening/Sunday link on the Stagecoach 18/19 route between South Bents, Seaburn, Fulwell, Thompson Road, Southwick, Pallion and Royal Hospital. Nexus have said that they cannot afford an evening/Sunday service on the 18/19, but this would cover a part of the route at no extra cost. Go North East and Stagecoach already run frequent 20 minute services to North Sunderland from the City Centre on Sundays on 3/4/13/16/56, no need for the hourly 135/136 too.
NEB Admin Team
16 Dec 2012, 3:44 pm #11

Yeah the 73 is only running past Morrisons at the moment because of the diversion route which will continue until mid-January I think. It normally runs in front of Storey Carpets instead. It doesn't serve the turning circle at the Broadway either near where the doctors is. There's a route map on the GNE site.

You could be right about the 39. If the ITA opts for the bus partnership scheme, the bus operators have committed themselves to operating more secured services on a commercial basis, so GNE could end up running all 39's.

What I'd love to see for the 135/136 is for it changed into the 99A from Sunderland right round to Seaburn, but instead of turning into Morrisons, have it terminate at South Bents Estate. The PVR would remain the same at 2, but it would provide an evening/Sunday link on the Stagecoach 18/19 route between South Bents, Seaburn, Fulwell, Thompson Road, Southwick, Pallion and Royal Hospital. Nexus have said that they cannot afford an evening/Sunday service on the 18/19, but this would cover a part of the route at no extra cost. Go North East and Stagecoach already run frequent 20 minute services to North Sunderland from the City Centre on Sundays on 3/4/13/16/56, no need for the hourly 135/136 too.

Michael

16 Dec 2012, 4:39 pm #12
Ah, i thought the diversion would of being over by now its being weeks, is it because the new houses are getting built, that they on a diversion

Would like to see all companies run their own buses, its stupid how stagecoach ended up running the 39 on a night and other companies running other services

These are GNE services ran by other companies:17/17A,19,26A,37,38,M2A/M3A

Stagecoach 5/5A (Sunderland) are secured services, im sure i read they won a 5 year contract with them, i dont know when this ends but when it does, i bet GNE or Arriva will get it

They should withdraw the 135/136 and replace it with your idea of a 99A, i really don't see y NEXUS are running the 135/136 because no one gets on, NEXUS dont like other peoples idea's... Imagine if NEXUS start running all our buses... it would be a disaster

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
16 Dec 2012, 4:39 pm #12

Ah, i thought the diversion would of being over by now its being weeks, is it because the new houses are getting built, that they on a diversion

Would like to see all companies run their own buses, its stupid how stagecoach ended up running the 39 on a night and other companies running other services

Stagecoach 5/5A (Sunderland) are secured services, im sure i read they won a 5 year contract with them, i dont know when this ends but when it does, i bet GNE or Arriva will get it

They should withdraw the 135/136 and replace it with your idea of a 99A, i really don't see y NEXUS are running the 135/136 because no one gets on, NEXUS dont like other peoples idea's... Imagine if NEXUS start running all our buses... it would be a disaster

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

NEB Admin Team

Unregistered

16 Dec 2012, 5:02 pm #13
Yeah I think it's because of the new houses. I got a shock actually when the 99 turned left to go up towards Castle View School instead of straight past Castletown Primary! The new houses are coming up well, I think the road is closed to allow for sewer replacement works. But it takes ages to get down the diversion route because the road is so narrow.

I suggested that idea to Nexus last year, but they are reluctant to break the loop route of 135/136 and run to Seaburn, in case it "damages the income that these services currently generate". I'm pretty sure they'd generate more income operating to Fulwell and Seaburn instead. Everytime I see the 135/136 it either has no passengers or just a small handful. Pitiful waste of resource.

The thing with the NexusBuses just gets more confusing when on some services you can use your Go North East ticket but can't buy one from the driver, or others where you can't use your Go North East ticket at all. I was surprised to hear that the 5/5A is fully secured now. It always seems pretty busy when I've seen it.
NEB Admin Team
16 Dec 2012, 5:02 pm #13

Yeah I think it's because of the new houses. I got a shock actually when the 99 turned left to go up towards Castle View School instead of straight past Castletown Primary! The new houses are coming up well, I think the road is closed to allow for sewer replacement works. But it takes ages to get down the diversion route because the road is so narrow.

I suggested that idea to Nexus last year, but they are reluctant to break the loop route of 135/136 and run to Seaburn, in case it "damages the income that these services currently generate". I'm pretty sure they'd generate more income operating to Fulwell and Seaburn instead. Everytime I see the 135/136 it either has no passengers or just a small handful. Pitiful waste of resource.

The thing with the NexusBuses just gets more confusing when on some services you can use your Go North East ticket but can't buy one from the driver, or others where you can't use your Go North East ticket at all. I was surprised to hear that the 5/5A is fully secured now. It always seems pretty busy when I've seen it.

Michael

16 Dec 2012, 5:08 pm #14
(16 Dec 2012, 5:02 pm)Brandon Yeah I think it's because of the new houses. I got a shock actually when the 99 turned left to go up towards Castle View School instead of straight past Castletown Primary! The new houses are coming up well, I think the road is closed to allow for sewer replacement works. But it takes ages to get down the diversion route because the road is so narrow.

The 5/5A is a decent service, ive used it a few times, just hope stagecoach keep hold of it, if not i wont be able to use my megarider on it =(

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
16 Dec 2012, 5:08 pm #14

(16 Dec 2012, 5:02 pm)Brandon Yeah I think it's because of the new houses. I got a shock actually when the 99 turned left to go up towards Castle View School instead of straight past Castletown Primary! The new houses are coming up well, I think the road is closed to allow for sewer replacement works. But it takes ages to get down the diversion route because the road is so narrow.

The 5/5A is a decent service, ive used it a few times, just hope stagecoach keep hold of it, if not i wont be able to use my megarider on it =(

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Dan

Site Administrator

16 Dec 2012, 6:30 pm #15
(16 Dec 2012, 11:12 am)Michael So my route would be...

That sounds brilliant to me. I don't think I've ever seen anyone board the bus at Vine Place, so re-routing it to Fawcett Street - where buses are used a lot more - would heavily increase the chances of passenger numbers increasing. The only reason I can think for it ever to have been routed the way it is now is because Go North East service 99 follows that same route and it goes via Vine Place. I can also confirm that the 99 rarely gets any passengers boarding there either. Extending the service to Washington Galleries seems perfectly logical too. With services as early as 07:45am from Washington Galleries to Sunderland (besides the 2A/2C), it'd surely have a passenger increase.

(16 Dec 2012, 11:49 am)Brandon That sounds like a good idea to me! The extension to Washington Galleries would probably require an additional bus, not sure if Nexus could afford this at the moment, but if there was any way to serve Washington Galleries while keeping the 2 buses then that would be brilliant and should improve passenger numbers!

Nexus have an endless supply of money - didn't you know? Set-up costs of the Quality Contracts Scheme they're proposing would be around £2.5 million alone. Don't get me started on them blasting £385 million on the "Metro Modernisation" work. Just think of how public transport in Tyne & Wear could have been improved with that kind of money - but no, we get some fancy new technology and some improved lifts on stations, woopity-doo.

(16 Dec 2012, 11:49 am)Brandon If the QCS goes ahead, I think all services are likely to be subject to major changes. But Greg Stone, whose a member of the ITA, said recently in the skyscrapercity forums that "If anything, the network may even be smaller than it is at present; the proposals Nexus has consulted on constitute significant reductions in service levels in areas including South Shields and parts of Sunderland." This seems rather worrying to me!

I dare not even express my views on the Quality Contract Schemes - definitely not appropriate for a public forum. Though I wish operators could have come up with some sort of Voluntary Partnership Agreement (VPA) before now instead of practically being forced to do so by a Quality Contract Scheme threat, I'm glad they've finally brought a VPA up as opposed to a QCS. I can foresee exactly what will happen if the QCS goes ahead, and that will be 'Cut the routes that follow the Metro line, they can use the Metro instead!' - au revoir to the X3, 27 etc and hello to packed Metros that break down more frequently and are even more unreliable than they are at present. Anyway, to see the VPA I spoke of above, see below:
http://www.northeastbus.org/Better_by_Far_summary.pdf

(16 Dec 2012, 3:44 pm)Brandon What I'd love to see for the 135/136 is for it changed into the 99A from Sunderland right round to Seaburn, but instead of turning into Morrisons, have it terminate at South Bents Estate. The PVR would remain the same at 2, but it would provide an evening/Sunday link on the Stagecoach 18/19 route between South Bents, Seaburn, Fulwell, Thompson Road, Southwick, Pallion and Royal Hospital. Nexus have said that they cannot afford an evening/Sunday service on the 18/19, but this would cover a part of the route at no extra cost. Go North East and Stagecoach already run frequent 20 minute services to North Sunderland from the City Centre on Sundays on 3/4/13/16/56, no need for the hourly 135/136 too.

Again, another great idea. It's a shame that Nexus don't listen to folk who have ideas that would benefit the full county. It wouldn't ever 'change' into the 99A, it would have to be the same service and be extended to South Bents Estate. A substantial part of that route would be covered at no extra cost as you say; those wishing to go to Hendon , Hill View or Grangetown could use the 10/11 from the City Centre, those wishing to go to Grindon could use the 16 from the City Centre, those wishing to go to Plains Farm could use the 3 from the City Centre... It seems like common logic to do something like this, don't you think?
On the subject of the 135/136, albeit off-topic to this thread, a "Sunderland Connect" Solo SR Hybrid was working one of them today. Came into Park Lane with one passenger - that was around 12 if I remember rightly.

(16 Dec 2012, 4:39 pm)Michael Would like to see all companies run their own buses, its stupid how stagecoach ended up running the 39 on a night and other companies running other services

I'd like this too. It'd avoid a lot of confusion regarding which operator's tickets you can and can not use. That doesn't directly affect me as I can use any bus with a Nexus CAT ticket - but it'd be beneficial to those who are over 16 that don't have that kind of ticket!

(16 Dec 2012, 4:39 pm)Michael Stagecoach 5/5A (Sunderland) are secured services, im sure i read they won a 5 year contract with them, i dont know when this ends but when it does, i bet GNE or Arriva will get it

I didn't know they were secured services! If it's a five-year contract, I could imagine that it'd finish by September 2013. When it ends, I could imagine Stagecoach will keep it. It's a heavily demanded service by elderly folk of the East End, and it'd be cost-effective which perhaps in the past, it might not have been. It isn't Go North East's or Arriva's type of service in my opinion, they prefer long-haul type of stuff.

(16 Dec 2012, 4:39 pm)Michael Imagine if NEXUS start running all our buses... it would be a disaster

+1. Horrible thought.

Jeez, that was a long post.
Dan
16 Dec 2012, 6:30 pm #15

(16 Dec 2012, 11:12 am)Michael So my route would be...

That sounds brilliant to me. I don't think I've ever seen anyone board the bus at Vine Place, so re-routing it to Fawcett Street - where buses are used a lot more - would heavily increase the chances of passenger numbers increasing. The only reason I can think for it ever to have been routed the way it is now is because Go North East service 99 follows that same route and it goes via Vine Place. I can also confirm that the 99 rarely gets any passengers boarding there either. Extending the service to Washington Galleries seems perfectly logical too. With services as early as 07:45am from Washington Galleries to Sunderland (besides the 2A/2C), it'd surely have a passenger increase.

(16 Dec 2012, 11:49 am)Brandon That sounds like a good idea to me! The extension to Washington Galleries would probably require an additional bus, not sure if Nexus could afford this at the moment, but if there was any way to serve Washington Galleries while keeping the 2 buses then that would be brilliant and should improve passenger numbers!

Nexus have an endless supply of money - didn't you know? Set-up costs of the Quality Contracts Scheme they're proposing would be around £2.5 million alone. Don't get me started on them blasting £385 million on the "Metro Modernisation" work. Just think of how public transport in Tyne & Wear could have been improved with that kind of money - but no, we get some fancy new technology and some improved lifts on stations, woopity-doo.

(16 Dec 2012, 11:49 am)Brandon If the QCS goes ahead, I think all services are likely to be subject to major changes. But Greg Stone, whose a member of the ITA, said recently in the skyscrapercity forums that "If anything, the network may even be smaller than it is at present; the proposals Nexus has consulted on constitute significant reductions in service levels in areas including South Shields and parts of Sunderland." This seems rather worrying to me!

I dare not even express my views on the Quality Contract Schemes - definitely not appropriate for a public forum. Though I wish operators could have come up with some sort of Voluntary Partnership Agreement (VPA) before now instead of practically being forced to do so by a Quality Contract Scheme threat, I'm glad they've finally brought a VPA up as opposed to a QCS. I can foresee exactly what will happen if the QCS goes ahead, and that will be 'Cut the routes that follow the Metro line, they can use the Metro instead!' - au revoir to the X3, 27 etc and hello to packed Metros that break down more frequently and are even more unreliable than they are at present. Anyway, to see the VPA I spoke of above, see below:
http://www.northeastbus.org/Better_by_Far_summary.pdf

(16 Dec 2012, 3:44 pm)Brandon What I'd love to see for the 135/136 is for it changed into the 99A from Sunderland right round to Seaburn, but instead of turning into Morrisons, have it terminate at South Bents Estate. The PVR would remain the same at 2, but it would provide an evening/Sunday link on the Stagecoach 18/19 route between South Bents, Seaburn, Fulwell, Thompson Road, Southwick, Pallion and Royal Hospital. Nexus have said that they cannot afford an evening/Sunday service on the 18/19, but this would cover a part of the route at no extra cost. Go North East and Stagecoach already run frequent 20 minute services to North Sunderland from the City Centre on Sundays on 3/4/13/16/56, no need for the hourly 135/136 too.

Again, another great idea. It's a shame that Nexus don't listen to folk who have ideas that would benefit the full county. It wouldn't ever 'change' into the 99A, it would have to be the same service and be extended to South Bents Estate. A substantial part of that route would be covered at no extra cost as you say; those wishing to go to Hendon , Hill View or Grangetown could use the 10/11 from the City Centre, those wishing to go to Grindon could use the 16 from the City Centre, those wishing to go to Plains Farm could use the 3 from the City Centre... It seems like common logic to do something like this, don't you think?
On the subject of the 135/136, albeit off-topic to this thread, a "Sunderland Connect" Solo SR Hybrid was working one of them today. Came into Park Lane with one passenger - that was around 12 if I remember rightly.

(16 Dec 2012, 4:39 pm)Michael Would like to see all companies run their own buses, its stupid how stagecoach ended up running the 39 on a night and other companies running other services

I'd like this too. It'd avoid a lot of confusion regarding which operator's tickets you can and can not use. That doesn't directly affect me as I can use any bus with a Nexus CAT ticket - but it'd be beneficial to those who are over 16 that don't have that kind of ticket!

(16 Dec 2012, 4:39 pm)Michael Stagecoach 5/5A (Sunderland) are secured services, im sure i read they won a 5 year contract with them, i dont know when this ends but when it does, i bet GNE or Arriva will get it

I didn't know they were secured services! If it's a five-year contract, I could imagine that it'd finish by September 2013. When it ends, I could imagine Stagecoach will keep it. It's a heavily demanded service by elderly folk of the East End, and it'd be cost-effective which perhaps in the past, it might not have been. It isn't Go North East's or Arriva's type of service in my opinion, they prefer long-haul type of stuff.

(16 Dec 2012, 4:39 pm)Michael Imagine if NEXUS start running all our buses... it would be a disaster

+1. Horrible thought.

Jeez, that was a long post.

16 Dec 2012, 9:39 pm #16
As far as i was aware the 5/5A is only a nexus route between The East End and the City Centre, and as a result thats why the Enviro 200s have been running on there for several months now.
16 Dec 2012, 9:39 pm #16

As far as i was aware the 5/5A is only a nexus route between The East End and the City Centre, and as a result thats why the Enviro 200s have been running on there for several months now.

Dan

Site Administrator

16 Dec 2012, 9:51 pm #17
(16 Dec 2012, 9:39 pm)dans_bus_photos As far as i was aware the 5/5A is only a nexus route between The East End and the City Centre, and as a result thats why the Enviro 200s have been running on there for several months now.

The Enviro 200s have been running on the service since late 2010...
Dan
16 Dec 2012, 9:51 pm #17

(16 Dec 2012, 9:39 pm)dans_bus_photos As far as i was aware the 5/5A is only a nexus route between The East End and the City Centre, and as a result thats why the Enviro 200s have been running on there for several months now.

The Enviro 200s have been running on the service since late 2010...

Michael

17 Dec 2012, 5:54 am #18

Ah right cheers Dan, i thought it was the full route but Enviro's have being running over a year on 5/5A, only with that happening i thought it might have being the full route since that and 39 is the only perm Enviro routes

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
17 Dec 2012, 5:54 am #18

Ah right cheers Dan, i thought it was the full route but Enviro's have being running over a year on 5/5A, only with that happening i thought it might have being the full route since that and 39 is the only perm Enviro routes

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

19 Dec 2012, 8:37 pm #19
After a conversation with Daniel earlier, how about a service from Sunderland to Middlesbrough(Don't think such a direct service is available at present) which runs limited stop via Peterlee and Hartlepool so that anyone in sunderland to wishes to travel to those places can much quicker! and then onto Boro.
CumbrianJosh
19 Dec 2012, 8:37 pm #19

After a conversation with Daniel earlier, how about a service from Sunderland to Middlesbrough(Don't think such a direct service is available at present) which runs limited stop via Peterlee and Hartlepool so that anyone in sunderland to wishes to travel to those places can much quicker! and then onto Boro.

cbma06

24 Dec 2012, 4:21 pm #20
Already mentioned to GNE lately and years ago about doing a service from Sunderland to Hartlepool, more directly:

Terminate the X35 at Peterlee bus station and have a East Durham branded service 230 running between Sunderland-Ryhope-Dalton Park-Easington-Peterlee bus station-Blackhall-Hartlepool. Passengers south of Peterlee shouldnt be paying GNE tickets to Sunderland when the passengers having to go via Hetton,Houghton and get stuck in traffic either Durham Road or Doxford Park.

Already mentioned about running the X9 from Peterlee bus station down to Hartlepool then out the other side to Billingham to Middlesbrough.

When GNE ran the X11, i mentioned to them to run the service at peak times via Doxford Park and Dalton Park, since then Arriva has introduced the X19 from Newcastle and Doxford Park (work bus).

Maybe if a few people suggests the Sunderland to Hartlepool direct and have the X35 terminate at Peterlee as having the 230 and X35 go down to Hartlepool will be a waste of money and resources.

What services would you like introduced or changed if you had the chance, but the service has to make a profit.

cbma06
24 Dec 2012, 4:21 pm #20

Already mentioned to GNE lately and years ago about doing a service from Sunderland to Hartlepool, more directly:

Terminate the X35 at Peterlee bus station and have a East Durham branded service 230 running between Sunderland-Ryhope-Dalton Park-Easington-Peterlee bus station-Blackhall-Hartlepool. Passengers south of Peterlee shouldnt be paying GNE tickets to Sunderland when the passengers having to go via Hetton,Houghton and get stuck in traffic either Durham Road or Doxford Park.

Already mentioned about running the X9 from Peterlee bus station down to Hartlepool then out the other side to Billingham to Middlesbrough.

When GNE ran the X11, i mentioned to them to run the service at peak times via Doxford Park and Dalton Park, since then Arriva has introduced the X19 from Newcastle and Doxford Park (work bus).

Maybe if a few people suggests the Sunderland to Hartlepool direct and have the X35 terminate at Peterlee as having the 230 and X35 go down to Hartlepool will be a waste of money and resources.

What services would you like introduced or changed if you had the chance, but the service has to make a profit.

Pages (153): 1 2 3153 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average