North East Buses The Site Problems & Suggestions Suggestions

Suggestions

Suggestions

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Pages (11): 1 2 311 Next
Dan

Site Administrator

15 Dec 2012, 10:45 am #1
Can I ask that a captcha is put in place on the register page? Lately, we've had a lot of spam accounts on the forums and I think I can speak on behalf of the full community and say it's becoming increasingly annoying.

If one already is in place, does anyone know any other methods on keeping these bots out?
Dan
15 Dec 2012, 10:45 am #1

Can I ask that a captcha is put in place on the register page? Lately, we've had a lot of spam accounts on the forums and I think I can speak on behalf of the full community and say it's becoming increasingly annoying.

If one already is in place, does anyone know any other methods on keeping these bots out?

Tom

16 Dec 2012, 11:47 am #2
(15 Dec 2012, 10:45 am)Daniel Can I ask that a captcha is put in place on the register page? Lately, we've had a lot of spam accounts on the forums and I think I can speak on behalf of the full community and say it's becoming increasingly annoying.

I agree with you, I can get this sorted now...
Tom
16 Dec 2012, 11:47 am #2

(15 Dec 2012, 10:45 am)Daniel Can I ask that a captcha is put in place on the register page? Lately, we've had a lot of spam accounts on the forums and I think I can speak on behalf of the full community and say it's becoming increasingly annoying.

Dan

Site Administrator

16 Dec 2012, 6:33 pm #3
(16 Dec 2012, 11:47 am)W179SCU

Cheers Tom! Those pesky bots have been really irritating me over the past few weeks or so. Glad to see the posts have been removed and the users banned. Wink
Dan
16 Dec 2012, 6:33 pm #3

(16 Dec 2012, 11:47 am)W179SCU

Cheers Tom! Those pesky bots have been really irritating me over the past few weeks or so. Glad to see the posts have been removed and the users banned. Wink

Andreos1

22 Jun 2013, 8:37 am #4
With all of the changes going on behind the scenes, is it possible to integrate a 'like' button on posts or a 'thumbs up/thumbs down' option?

Ocassionally I might see a post/comment and agree with what has been said, but there isn't really the opportunity or need to add to it.
Andreos1
22 Jun 2013, 8:37 am #4

With all of the changes going on behind the scenes, is it possible to integrate a 'like' button on posts or a 'thumbs up/thumbs down' option?

Ocassionally I might see a post/comment and agree with what has been said, but there isn't really the opportunity or need to add to it.

Dan

Site Administrator

22 Jun 2013, 9:13 am #5
(22 Jun 2013, 8:37 am)Andreos1 With all of the changes going on behind the scenes, is it possible to integrate a 'like' button on posts or a 'thumbs up/thumbs down' option?

Hi.

We have actually tried to incorporate this function to cease the need of general appreciation posts which are so frequent on the forum.
If I recall correctly, the plugin that was tested by forum management was not appropriate and did not fulfil the purpose we wanted the plugin for.
I'll speak to Liam again to see if he did find an appropriate alternative, as it is a feature I am keen on too.

Cheers!
Dan
22 Jun 2013, 9:13 am #5

(22 Jun 2013, 8:37 am)Andreos1 With all of the changes going on behind the scenes, is it possible to integrate a 'like' button on posts or a 'thumbs up/thumbs down' option?

Hi.

We have actually tried to incorporate this function to cease the need of general appreciation posts which are so frequent on the forum.
If I recall correctly, the plugin that was tested by forum management was not appropriate and did not fulfil the purpose we wanted the plugin for.
I'll speak to Liam again to see if he did find an appropriate alternative, as it is a feature I am keen on too.

Cheers!

Andreos1

26 Jun 2013, 6:40 pm #6
The likes are appearing when on the full site, but when on the phone or tablet, they dont appear.
Is this deliberate or just a glitch?
Andreos1
26 Jun 2013, 6:40 pm #6

The likes are appearing when on the full site, but when on the phone or tablet, they dont appear.

Andreos1

26 Jun 2013, 7:07 pm #7
(26 Jun 2013, 6:47 pm)Liam
(26 Jun 2013, 6:40 pm)Andreos1 The likes are appearing when on the full site, but when on the phone or tablet, they dont appear.

This should now be working. It was temporary disabled on the mobile version while the function was being tested. It does appear to be working successfully, so I have now enabled the feature.

The quotes are back too! Wink
Andreos1
26 Jun 2013, 7:07 pm #7

(26 Jun 2013, 6:47 pm)Liam
(26 Jun 2013, 6:40 pm)Andreos1 The likes are appearing when on the full site, but when on the phone or tablet, they dont appear.

This should now be working. It was temporary disabled on the mobile version while the function was being tested. It does appear to be working successfully, so I have now enabled the feature.

The quotes are back too! Wink

Andreos1

30 Jun 2013, 11:49 am #8
Just a quicky - the like button is appearing when I am using my phone, but nothing happens when I click on it.

Using Opera Mini and I have cleared the cache, switched it on/off, closed the browser etc.
Andreos1
30 Jun 2013, 11:49 am #8

Just a quicky - the like button is appearing when I am using my phone, but nothing happens when I click on it.

Using Opera Mini and I have cleared the cache, switched it on/off, closed the browser etc.

Andreos1

30 Jun 2013, 5:58 pm #9
If in doubt, always switch it off and back on again.
Seems to be working now - didn't know if it was a glitch at my end or not.
Andreos1
30 Jun 2013, 5:58 pm #9

If in doubt, always switch it off and back on again.
Seems to be working now - didn't know if it was a glitch at my end or not.

Malarkey

25 Aug 2013, 4:22 pm #10
As currently there is only fleet lists for the "Big 3" and the Tyne and Wear Metro, what about expanding this area to include the Independents, so for example for Kingsley's/Weardale and Perrymans. I wouldn't expect all them to have individual Fleet Lists, but some of the more Major Ones as listed above.

This could be expanded further with a Service Suggestions page for a few of the more Major Independents also or just one individual page for the entire Independents Section. Another thought was to add Timetables for the Independents to the Bygone Era, if there isn't already.
Malarkey
25 Aug 2013, 4:22 pm #10

As currently there is only fleet lists for the "Big 3" and the Tyne and Wear Metro, what about expanding this area to include the Independents, so for example for Kingsley's/Weardale and Perrymans. I wouldn't expect all them to have individual Fleet Lists, but some of the more Major Ones as listed above.

This could be expanded further with a Service Suggestions page for a few of the more Major Independents also or just one individual page for the entire Independents Section. Another thought was to add Timetables for the Independents to the Bygone Era, if there isn't already.

Dan

Site Administrator

25 Aug 2013, 4:44 pm #11
(25 Aug 2013, 4:22 pm)Adam Malarkey As currently there is only fleet lists for the "Big 3" and the Tyne and Wear Metro, what about expanding this area to include the Independents, so for example for Kingsley's/Weardale and Perrymans. I wouldn't expect all them to have individual Fleet Lists, but some of the more Major Ones as listed above.

Whilst the coding is in place to allow for further expansion of the fleet lists, we're not looking to expand that far just yet.
When the Fleet Lists have all had their images added as well as individual history completed, we may look to expand further - but I doubt it.

I have said to Scott that, when his purchased domain expires, we would be more than willing to add his fleet lists to our site if he chooses not to renew the domain and provide everything he does on his site at the moment, on NEB.

Until then, you can view all independent fleet lists on Scott's website here.
Dan
25 Aug 2013, 4:44 pm #11

(25 Aug 2013, 4:22 pm)Adam Malarkey As currently there is only fleet lists for the "Big 3" and the Tyne and Wear Metro, what about expanding this area to include the Independents, so for example for Kingsley's/Weardale and Perrymans. I wouldn't expect all them to have individual Fleet Lists, but some of the more Major Ones as listed above.

Whilst the coding is in place to allow for further expansion of the fleet lists, we're not looking to expand that far just yet.
When the Fleet Lists have all had their images added as well as individual history completed, we may look to expand further - but I doubt it.

I have said to Scott that, when his purchased domain expires, we would be more than willing to add his fleet lists to our site if he chooses not to renew the domain and provide everything he does on his site at the moment, on NEB.

Malarkey

25 Aug 2013, 4:56 pm #12
(25 Aug 2013, 4:44 pm)Daniel Whilst the coding is in place to allow for further expansion of the fleet lists, we're not looking to expand that far just yet.

Fingers Crossed then as I think it would be an excellent addition to the Forum in the Future.
Malarkey
25 Aug 2013, 4:56 pm #12

(25 Aug 2013, 4:44 pm)Daniel Whilst the coding is in place to allow for further expansion of the fleet lists, we're not looking to expand that far just yet.

Fingers Crossed then as I think it would be an excellent addition to the Forum in the Future.

MurdnunoC

29 Aug 2013, 12:26 pm #13
To avoid spammers may I suggest that every new registration be validated by an administrator or moderator prior to posting.

The process doesn't have to be invasive, just a simple IP check or whatever.
MurdnunoC
29 Aug 2013, 12:26 pm #13

To avoid spammers may I suggest that every new registration be validated by an administrator or moderator prior to posting.

The process doesn't have to be invasive, just a simple IP check or whatever.

Dan

Site Administrator

29 Aug 2013, 1:03 pm #14
We have systems in place to prevent spammers from coming in. Why they're suddenly failing, I do not know.
A workaround does need to be put in place whilst the systems are failing though, because spam is incredibly annoying.
Dan
29 Aug 2013, 1:03 pm #14

We have systems in place to prevent spammers from coming in. Why they're suddenly failing, I do not know.
A workaround does need to be put in place whilst the systems are failing though, because spam is incredibly annoying.

MurdnunoC

29 Aug 2013, 1:10 pm #15
Unfortunately, it is virtually impossible to create an automated system to spammers. Like other 'Cyber-Offenders', they're always one step ahead. People who spamming filters such systems are nearly always playing catch-up.

I do (or used to) frequent forums which have high levels of traffic yet have no spamming problems. These forums are all registration moderated. I know it's not ideal, but at least you're not relying on filters.
MurdnunoC
29 Aug 2013, 1:10 pm #15

Unfortunately, it is virtually impossible to create an automated system to spammers. Like other 'Cyber-Offenders', they're always one step ahead. People who spamming filters such systems are nearly always playing catch-up.

I do (or used to) frequent forums which have high levels of traffic yet have no spamming problems. These forums are all registration moderated. I know it's not ideal, but at least you're not relying on filters.

Malarkey

06 Sep 2013, 12:43 pm #16
Monthly Photo Competition

For the Month of December I the Topic should be "Photo of Year" as chosen by all members, with Novembers winner picking the Topic for January instead. I know this may over complicate things for how the competition is run. But think it is a good idea, if it isn't already in place.

A Blast From The Past or On this Day in e.g. 1992

This could be anything from an Odd Working Photo from GNE or a News Article regarding the Quality Contracts or something like that, I think this would a great addition to the Forum under the Bygone Era possibly unless it can fit into other Areas.

The News

Now I personally love this New Addition to the Forum as it is very smartly laid out and is also very informative, Now this thought may only work on the GNE side but I'm not sure. What about a summary of Odd Workings Captured by NEB Flickr Members over the course of the week as not everyone posts links to there photos for people to view on say the GNE Page.
Malarkey
06 Sep 2013, 12:43 pm #16

Monthly Photo Competition

For the Month of December I the Topic should be "Photo of Year" as chosen by all members, with Novembers winner picking the Topic for January instead. I know this may over complicate things for how the competition is run. But think it is a good idea, if it isn't already in place.

A Blast From The Past or On this Day in e.g. 1992

This could be anything from an Odd Working Photo from GNE or a News Article regarding the Quality Contracts or something like that, I think this would a great addition to the Forum under the Bygone Era possibly unless it can fit into other Areas.

The News

Now I personally love this New Addition to the Forum as it is very smartly laid out and is also very informative, Now this thought may only work on the GNE side but I'm not sure. What about a summary of Odd Workings Captured by NEB Flickr Members over the course of the week as not everyone posts links to there photos for people to view on say the GNE Page.

MurdnunoC

06 Sep 2013, 12:54 pm #17
(06 Sep 2013, 12:43 pm)Adam Malarkey A Blast From The Past or On this Day in e.g. 1992

I'm very much in favour of this.
MurdnunoC
06 Sep 2013, 12:54 pm #17

(06 Sep 2013, 12:43 pm)Adam Malarkey A Blast From The Past or On this Day in e.g. 1992

I'm very much in favour of this.

Andreos1

06 Sep 2013, 2:58 pm #18

On this day in 1992, Andreos1 got asked by the driver for his Under 16 pass - unfortunately, he didn't have it and had to walk home in the rain. He got wrong off his mother and sent to bed early.

On this day in 1998, AdamMalarkey was left in limbo as the bus to the Galleries broke down, causing chaos on the approach roads.

I love the idea too - but what is newsworthy and is there enough to do 365 news stories over the course of a year?
Andreos1
06 Sep 2013, 2:58 pm #18

On this day in 1992, Andreos1 got asked by the driver for his Under 16 pass - unfortunately, he didn't have it and had to walk home in the rain. He got wrong off his mother and sent to bed early.

On this day in 1998, AdamMalarkey was left in limbo as the bus to the Galleries broke down, causing chaos on the approach roads.

I love the idea too - but what is newsworthy and is there enough to do 365 news stories over the course of a year?

MurdnunoC

06 Sep 2013, 3:10 pm #19
(06 Sep 2013, 2:58 pm)Andreos1 On this day in 1992, Andreos1 got asked by the driver for his Under 16 pass - unfortunately, he didn't have it and had to walk home in the rain. He got wrong off his mother and sent to bed early.

Obviously there won't be enough news-worthy items to cover all 365 days of the year. But there may be one or two over the course of each month which will hopefully provoke a little more debate. October 26th, for example, might provide an opportunity for some to look for articles in local libraries regarding public perception of deregulation in 1986. Forum members could then post anything notable that they've come across etc.
MurdnunoC
06 Sep 2013, 3:10 pm #19

(06 Sep 2013, 2:58 pm)Andreos1 On this day in 1992, Andreos1 got asked by the driver for his Under 16 pass - unfortunately, he didn't have it and had to walk home in the rain. He got wrong off his mother and sent to bed early.

Obviously there won't be enough news-worthy items to cover all 365 days of the year. But there may be one or two over the course of each month which will hopefully provoke a little more debate. October 26th, for example, might provide an opportunity for some to look for articles in local libraries regarding public perception of deregulation in 1986. Forum members could then post anything notable that they've come across etc.

Andreos1

06 Sep 2013, 3:16 pm #20
(06 Sep 2013, 3:10 pm)AdamY Obviously there won't be enough news-worthy items to cover all 365 days of the year. But there may be one or two over the course of each month which will hopefully provoke a little more debate. October 26th, for example, might provide an opportunity for some to look for articles in local libraries regarding public perception of deregulation in 1986. Forum members could then post anything notable that they've come across etc.

Come to think of it (this did actually happen - but we will have to keep it until next year.
On September 3rd 1999, I had to get off the last 638 (or might have been the 777) 3 stops early after a night on the pop, for obvious reasons.
I tried hanging on, but once you pop....
Andreos1
06 Sep 2013, 3:16 pm #20

(06 Sep 2013, 3:10 pm)AdamY Obviously there won't be enough news-worthy items to cover all 365 days of the year. But there may be one or two over the course of each month which will hopefully provoke a little more debate. October 26th, for example, might provide an opportunity for some to look for articles in local libraries regarding public perception of deregulation in 1986. Forum members could then post anything notable that they've come across etc.

Come to think of it (this did actually happen - but we will have to keep it until next year.
On September 3rd 1999, I had to get off the last 638 (or might have been the 777) 3 stops early after a night on the pop, for obvious reasons.
I tried hanging on, but once you pop....

Pages (11): 1 2 311 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average