Menu

North East Buses The Site Problems & Suggestions Suggestions

Suggestions

Suggestions

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Pages (11): Previous 1 2 311 Next
Malarkey

06 Sep 2013, 3:42 pm #21
It's doesn't have to be just for Buses or the North East Specifically, It would obviously have to have more depth to it so example Trains/Planes, even if it was just a weekly or monthly thing, as Daily would be rather excessive and quite boring would be better than nothing.

Here's a thought - Flash Back Fridays on NEB - Every Friday there would be a News Article or a Photo or Something Posted which relates to a Certain Topic from that specific week. I think that would be actually than my original Idea.
Malarkey
06 Sep 2013, 3:42 pm #21

It's doesn't have to be just for Buses or the North East Specifically, It would obviously have to have more depth to it so example Trains/Planes, even if it was just a weekly or monthly thing, as Daily would be rather excessive and quite boring would be better than nothing.

Here's a thought - Flash Back Fridays on NEB - Every Friday there would be a News Article or a Photo or Something Posted which relates to a Certain Topic from that specific week. I think that would be actually than my original Idea.

Dan

Site Administrator

06 Sep 2013, 4:53 pm #22
I read through these posts at school earlier, but have been really pushed for time all day - didn't realise how busy my Friday timetable was! :p

(06 Sep 2013, 12:43 pm)Adam Malarkey Monthly Photo Competition

For the Month of December I the Topic should be "Photo of Year" as chosen by all members, with Novembers winner picking the Topic for January instead. I know this may over complicate things for how the competition is run. But think it is a good idea, if it isn't already in place.

I was a bit pushed for themes this month, hence the lenient title of 'ANYTHING!'
October, November and December have obvious themes that could be chosen based upon holidays celebrated in those months. Of course it is ultimately dependent on the winner of the previous month's competition and they may not suggest a theme related to a holiday celebrated within that month, but hopefully someone will pick a good theme if they win!
I do want to hear suggestions for the Monthly Comp though. I appreciate not all of our members take photographs, but those that do often don't enter; nor do they vote... 'Tis a great shame really, as I think discussions that aren't necessarily related to current bus events should be more active. There are various other communities that serve the same purpose as this website, but their discussion is somewhat limited and it all seems very much forced to me.

(06 Sep 2013, 12:43 pm)Adam Malarkey A Blast From The Past or On this Day in e.g. 1992

This could be anything from an Odd Working Photo from GNE or a News Article regarding the Quality Contracts or something like that, I think this would a great addition to the Forum under the Bygone Era possibly unless it can fit into other Areas.

The administrators (past and present) of this forum have set up the forum so that the community can expand it how they would like to. I have recently noticed more threads popping up in our off topic sections (both bus and non-bus related) and members hosting their own competitions to run alongside our more frequently used, "Guess The Bus" and of course, Monthly Comp.
Other members have shown interest in your above suggestion already, which proves that it is a good idea and the thread wouldn't die straight away. I see potential for this to occur on Thursdays/Fridays, under the name of "Throwback Thursday" or "Flashback Friday".
The above (more so the former from experience) are quite common on social media websites such as Instagram, Twitter and Tumblr, when content from the past is shared. The trend is being adapted on other social media websites too, so why not have it on North East Buses? Wink

What I would suggest, however, is that this thread does emerge in the off-topic bus section rather than the Bygone Era.

(06 Sep 2013, 12:43 pm)Adam Malarkey The News

Now I personally love this New Addition to the Forum as it is very smartly laid out and is also very informative, Now this thought may only work on the GNE side but I'm not sure. What about a summary of Odd Workings Captured by NEB Flickr Members over the course of the week as not everyone posts links to there photos for people to view on say the GNE Page.

At present, news will only be submitted on a fortnightly basis. When originally setting up the news, I decided that I didn't want anyone to tie themselves down with a job that had to be done weekly. Despite this, I have said to the site's admin team that I am more than happy to provide a weekly update in the event of a great deal of transfers happening. I'm looking at Sunday's update now, and there has just been so many things happening over the past two weeks. It really wouldn't be logical to include incorrect allocations when so many happen daily. We are containing loans (even if they are just daily), and I do think that is as lenient as we can become.

Thanks for your ideas, Adam.
Dan
06 Sep 2013, 4:53 pm #22

I read through these posts at school earlier, but have been really pushed for time all day - didn't realise how busy my Friday timetable was! :p

(06 Sep 2013, 12:43 pm)Adam Malarkey Monthly Photo Competition

For the Month of December I the Topic should be "Photo of Year" as chosen by all members, with Novembers winner picking the Topic for January instead. I know this may over complicate things for how the competition is run. But think it is a good idea, if it isn't already in place.

I was a bit pushed for themes this month, hence the lenient title of 'ANYTHING!'
October, November and December have obvious themes that could be chosen based upon holidays celebrated in those months. Of course it is ultimately dependent on the winner of the previous month's competition and they may not suggest a theme related to a holiday celebrated within that month, but hopefully someone will pick a good theme if they win!
I do want to hear suggestions for the Monthly Comp though. I appreciate not all of our members take photographs, but those that do often don't enter; nor do they vote... 'Tis a great shame really, as I think discussions that aren't necessarily related to current bus events should be more active. There are various other communities that serve the same purpose as this website, but their discussion is somewhat limited and it all seems very much forced to me.

(06 Sep 2013, 12:43 pm)Adam Malarkey A Blast From The Past or On this Day in e.g. 1992

This could be anything from an Odd Working Photo from GNE or a News Article regarding the Quality Contracts or something like that, I think this would a great addition to the Forum under the Bygone Era possibly unless it can fit into other Areas.

The administrators (past and present) of this forum have set up the forum so that the community can expand it how they would like to. I have recently noticed more threads popping up in our off topic sections (both bus and non-bus related) and members hosting their own competitions to run alongside our more frequently used, "Guess The Bus" and of course, Monthly Comp.
Other members have shown interest in your above suggestion already, which proves that it is a good idea and the thread wouldn't die straight away. I see potential for this to occur on Thursdays/Fridays, under the name of "Throwback Thursday" or "Flashback Friday".
The above (more so the former from experience) are quite common on social media websites such as Instagram, Twitter and Tumblr, when content from the past is shared. The trend is being adapted on other social media websites too, so why not have it on North East Buses? Wink

What I would suggest, however, is that this thread does emerge in the off-topic bus section rather than the Bygone Era.

(06 Sep 2013, 12:43 pm)Adam Malarkey The News

Now I personally love this New Addition to the Forum as it is very smartly laid out and is also very informative, Now this thought may only work on the GNE side but I'm not sure. What about a summary of Odd Workings Captured by NEB Flickr Members over the course of the week as not everyone posts links to there photos for people to view on say the GNE Page.

At present, news will only be submitted on a fortnightly basis. When originally setting up the news, I decided that I didn't want anyone to tie themselves down with a job that had to be done weekly. Despite this, I have said to the site's admin team that I am more than happy to provide a weekly update in the event of a great deal of transfers happening. I'm looking at Sunday's update now, and there has just been so many things happening over the past two weeks. It really wouldn't be logical to include incorrect allocations when so many happen daily. We are containing loans (even if they are just daily), and I do think that is as lenient as we can become.

Thanks for your ideas, Adam.

Adrian

09 Sep 2013, 9:09 pm #23
Just a bit of fun, but what would be the possibility of NEB running an annual awards with categories? Could be something as simple as taking nominations for the whole of November, with a two week voting period in December? Winners being announced on Christmas Eve or something like that.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
09 Sep 2013, 9:09 pm #23

Just a bit of fun, but what would be the possibility of NEB running an annual awards with categories? Could be something as simple as taking nominations for the whole of November, with a two week voting period in December? Winners being announced on Christmas Eve or something like that.

Andreos1

09 Sep 2013, 9:22 pm #24
(09 Sep 2013, 9:09 pm)aureolin Just a bit of fun, but what would be the possibility of NEB running an annual awards with categories? Could be something as simple as taking nominations for the whole of November, with a two week voting period in December? Winners being announced on Christmas Eve or something like that.

What sort of categories should there be?

How about:
* The David Bailey Trophy for making the most referrals to their Flickr page?
* The Fencehouses Popular Front Award to the member who made the most mentions of Fencehouses?
* The Silverlink Retail Park Certificate for the most mentions of the Coast Road & Formica in a route suggestion thread?
* The Ian Hignett Shield for the person who owned up to being a GNE Facebook character?

Any others?
Andreos1
09 Sep 2013, 9:22 pm #24

(09 Sep 2013, 9:09 pm)aureolin Just a bit of fun, but what would be the possibility of NEB running an annual awards with categories? Could be something as simple as taking nominations for the whole of November, with a two week voting period in December? Winners being announced on Christmas Eve or something like that.

What sort of categories should there be?

How about:
* The David Bailey Trophy for making the most referrals to their Flickr page?
* The Fencehouses Popular Front Award to the member who made the most mentions of Fencehouses?
* The Silverlink Retail Park Certificate for the most mentions of the Coast Road & Formica in a route suggestion thread?
* The Ian Hignett Shield for the person who owned up to being a GNE Facebook character?

Any others?

Dan

Site Administrator

10 Sep 2013, 5:29 am #25
I've done it on plenty of other small community groups I've managed but that's when there has mostly been some sort of multiplayer simulator involved so coming up with categories was relatively easy as there were lots of things you could comment on. Not sure how it would work on here - unless you can give us a few more categories (in addition to Andreos1's fantastic few Wink).
Dan
10 Sep 2013, 5:29 am #25

I've done it on plenty of other small community groups I've managed but that's when there has mostly been some sort of multiplayer simulator involved so coming up with categories was relatively easy as there were lots of things you could comment on. Not sure how it would work on here - unless you can give us a few more categories (in addition to Andreos1's fantastic few Wink).

MurdnunoC

10 Sep 2013, 1:49 pm #26
Quote:* The Ian Hignett Shield for the person who owned up to being a GNE Facebook character?

I love the idea of a Ian Hignett Shield. The whole concept just sounds like something you'd compete for in a pool tournament at a youth club.
MurdnunoC
10 Sep 2013, 1:49 pm #26

Quote:* The Ian Hignett Shield for the person who owned up to being a GNE Facebook character?

I love the idea of a Ian Hignett Shield. The whole concept just sounds like something you'd compete for in a pool tournament at a youth club.

Adrian

10 Sep 2013, 3:15 pm #27
(10 Sep 2013, 5:29 am)Daniel I've done it on plenty of other small community groups I've managed but that's when there has mostly been some sort of multiplayer simulator involved so coming up with categories was relatively easy as there were lots of things you could comment on. Not sure how it would work on here - unless you can give us a few more categories (in addition to Andreos1's fantastic few Wink).

I was thinking along the lines of what the Jeff's Bus Lane site used to do. With that site being no more, it may be something worth carrying on with NEB.
  • Best performing large company
  • Best Performing Small Company
  • Most Improved Company
  • Most Under-whelming Company
  • The Most Impressive New Purchase by a North East Company
  • The Most Impressive Second Hand Purchase by a North East Company
  • The Most Missed Withdrawal of the Year
  • The Least Missed Withdrawal of the Year

That's probably a good start, but I'd possibly add the following to it:
  • Route of the year
  • Bus of the year
  • Customer Service award
  • Social Media award

Adrian
10 Sep 2013, 3:15 pm #27

(10 Sep 2013, 5:29 am)Daniel I've done it on plenty of other small community groups I've managed but that's when there has mostly been some sort of multiplayer simulator involved so coming up with categories was relatively easy as there were lots of things you could comment on. Not sure how it would work on here - unless you can give us a few more categories (in addition to Andreos1's fantastic few Wink).

I was thinking along the lines of what the Jeff's Bus Lane site used to do. With that site being no more, it may be something worth carrying on with NEB.
  • Most Improved Company

• Route of the year
  • Bus of the year
  • Customer Service award
  • Social Media award

Andreos1

10 Sep 2013, 3:27 pm #28
(10 Sep 2013, 3:15 pm)aureolin I was thinking along the lines of what the Jeff's Bus Lane site used to do. With that site being no more, it may be something worth carrying on with NEB.
  • Most Improved Company

• Route of the year
  • Bus of the year
  • Customer Service award
  • Social Media award

Ah, haha. Sorry about that.
Thought you were wanting an awards ceremony for us members! Whoops!
Andreos1
10 Sep 2013, 3:27 pm #28

(10 Sep 2013, 3:15 pm)aureolin I was thinking along the lines of what the Jeff's Bus Lane site used to do. With that site being no more, it may be something worth carrying on with NEB.
  • Most Improved Company

• Route of the year
  • Bus of the year
  • Customer Service award
  • Social Media award

Ah, haha. Sorry about that.

Dan

Site Administrator

10 Sep 2013, 4:11 pm #29
(10 Sep 2013, 3:27 pm)Andreos1 Ah, haha. Sorry about that.

So did I! Tongue
Does anyone know if that sort of awards ceremony was successful on JBL?
Dan
10 Sep 2013, 4:11 pm #29

(10 Sep 2013, 3:27 pm)Andreos1 Ah, haha. Sorry about that.

So did I! Tongue

Adrian

10 Sep 2013, 7:03 pm #30
(10 Sep 2013, 4:11 pm)Daniel So did I! Tongue

Seems to have ran from 2004-2011, so it must have attracted enough interest. I'm not entirely sure how the nominations or voting worked though!

Adrian
10 Sep 2013, 7:03 pm #30

(10 Sep 2013, 4:11 pm)Daniel So did I! Tongue

Seems to have ran from 2004-2011, so it must have attracted enough interest. I'm not entirely sure how the nominations or voting worked though!

tyresmoke

11 Sep 2013, 11:47 am #31
(10 Sep 2013, 7:03 pm)aureolin Seems to have ran from 2004-2011, so it must have attracted enough interest. I'm not entirely sure how the nominations or voting worked though!

I did one for 2012 on my site to keep the tradition going....
http://northeastbus.co.uk/info/awards2012.htm

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

tyresmoke
11 Sep 2013, 11:47 am #31

(10 Sep 2013, 7:03 pm)aureolin Seems to have ran from 2004-2011, so it must have attracted enough interest. I'm not entirely sure how the nominations or voting worked though!

I did one for 2012 on my site to keep the tradition going....
http://northeastbus.co.uk/info/awards2012.htm

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Malarkey

12 Sep 2013, 11:53 am #32
Guess The Bus

I have had this idea as the current points leader, to make GTB more interesting, Once a Month we should have a Quiz like theme to the game with 15-20 Questions, with the Questions either being a Picture or a General Trivial type of Question set by the Admins of NEB. Points would be scored on how many questions you get correct. So if got 14 out of 20, I'd get 14 points added to my overall total.

For this to work the Admins would have to send the Questions to each member via Private Message, then allow a Minimum of 2 Days for Answering, then a Further 2 Days for Marking them as some maybe tight for spare time if they are at school or working etc.

Although it maybe better to do it on weekend. Members would post there Answers on the current page for GTB. I think doing it this way would possibly eliminate cheating. All answers would be final. And if there is any editing of your Answers after you've posted, I'm sure it comes up on your post at the bottom that's been edited, which would result in you being Disqualified.
Malarkey
12 Sep 2013, 11:53 am #32

Guess The Bus

I have had this idea as the current points leader, to make GTB more interesting, Once a Month we should have a Quiz like theme to the game with 15-20 Questions, with the Questions either being a Picture or a General Trivial type of Question set by the Admins of NEB. Points would be scored on how many questions you get correct. So if got 14 out of 20, I'd get 14 points added to my overall total.

For this to work the Admins would have to send the Questions to each member via Private Message, then allow a Minimum of 2 Days for Answering, then a Further 2 Days for Marking them as some maybe tight for spare time if they are at school or working etc.

Although it maybe better to do it on weekend. Members would post there Answers on the current page for GTB. I think doing it this way would possibly eliminate cheating. All answers would be final. And if there is any editing of your Answers after you've posted, I'm sure it comes up on your post at the bottom that's been edited, which would result in you being Disqualified.

16 Sep 2013, 8:49 am #33
Just a tiny one for you, is there any chance a *Last updated* date could be added to the Fleetlists? its just so i know when they last got updated
Terence Price
16 Sep 2013, 8:49 am #33

Just a tiny one for you, is there any chance a *Last updated* date could be added to the Fleetlists? its just so i know when they last got updated

Dan

Site Administrator

16 Sep 2013, 12:49 pm #34
(16 Sep 2013, 8:49 am)Terence Price Just a tiny one for you, is there any chance a *Last updated* date could be added to the Fleetlists? its just so i know when they last got updated

WIP.
Eventually you will be able to see a complete history of each vehicle. The most recent thing on the history will be last updated. See GNE 8319
Dan
16 Sep 2013, 12:49 pm #34

(16 Sep 2013, 8:49 am)Terence Price Just a tiny one for you, is there any chance a *Last updated* date could be added to the Fleetlists? its just so i know when they last got updated

WIP.
Eventually you will be able to see a complete history of each vehicle. The most recent thing on the history will be last updated. See GNE 8319

16 Sep 2013, 7:25 pm #35
From greg.round@ovi.com user name Greg in Weardale. Today GNE thread (and possibly the others I've subscribed to) have unsubscribed me and when I try to re-subscribe the system either won't accept all my e-mail or user name or if it does says "page can't be loaded". This has happened several times before but not since I last informed you. I've tried on both mobile and full site.
Greg in Weardale
16 Sep 2013, 7:25 pm #35

From greg.round@ovi.com user name Greg in Weardale. Today GNE thread (and possibly the others I've subscribed to) have unsubscribed me and when I try to re-subscribe the system either won't accept all my e-mail or user name or if it does says "page can't be loaded". This has happened several times before but not since I last informed you. I've tried on both mobile and full site.

16 Sep 2013, 11:06 pm #36
(16 Sep 2013, 12:49 pm)Daniel WIP.

Ahh right that sounds good, cant wait to see that.
Terence Price
16 Sep 2013, 11:06 pm #36

(16 Sep 2013, 12:49 pm)Daniel WIP.

Ahh right that sounds good, cant wait to see that.

09 Oct 2013, 7:42 am #37
is there any chance more games can be added to the forum?
Terence Price
09 Oct 2013, 7:42 am #37

is there any chance more games can be added to the forum?

13 Oct 2013, 7:47 pm #38
is there a way to limit how many times a user can change their name? as one user has changed his name about for the 6th time in just one night, it gets hard to keep track on whos who if you know what i mean
Terence Price
13 Oct 2013, 7:47 pm #38

is there a way to limit how many times a user can change their name? as one user has changed his name about for the 6th time in just one night, it gets hard to keep track on whos who if you know what i mean

Adrian

13 Oct 2013, 7:51 pm #39
(13 Oct 2013, 7:47 pm)Terence Price is there a way to limit how many times a user can change their name? as one user has changed his name about for the 6th time in just one night, it gets hard to keep track on whos who if you know what i mean

Potentially, but it's not a problem. There's one user you've referenced, but I can't think of anyone else who has actually changed their username since the forum started.

If we think someone is out of line in doing something, then we'll deal with it, but that'll always be on a case by case basis.

Adrian
13 Oct 2013, 7:51 pm #39

(13 Oct 2013, 7:47 pm)Terence Price is there a way to limit how many times a user can change their name? as one user has changed his name about for the 6th time in just one night, it gets hard to keep track on whos who if you know what i mean

Potentially, but it's not a problem. There's one user you've referenced, but I can't think of anyone else who has actually changed their username since the forum started.

If we think someone is out of line in doing something, then we'll deal with it, but that'll always be on a case by case basis.

13 Oct 2013, 7:55 pm #40
(13 Oct 2013, 7:51 pm)aureolin Potentially, but it's not a problem. There's one user you've referenced, but I can't think of anyone else who has actually changed their username since the forum started.

thanks for the reply, thats fine, am just that type of person who likes to know a bit about everyone (so i then know what news people like to hear) name changes often confuse me and i then start getting people mixed up.
Terence Price
13 Oct 2013, 7:55 pm #40

(13 Oct 2013, 7:51 pm)aureolin Potentially, but it's not a problem. There's one user you've referenced, but I can't think of anyone else who has actually changed their username since the forum started.

thanks for the reply, thats fine, am just that type of person who likes to know a bit about everyone (so i then know what news people like to hear) name changes often confuse me and i then start getting people mixed up.

Pages (11): Previous 1 2 311 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average