North East Buses The Site Problems & Suggestions Suggestions

Suggestions

Suggestions

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Pages (11): Previous 19 10 11
Jamie M

Unregistered

29 May 2016, 6:56 pm #201
(29 May 2016, 6:40 pm)Adrian I agree Jamie. A more email conversation or 'chat like' view would be more beneficial for PM. It may be worth suggesting something on the MyBB community, as I don't believe it can be enabled within a core feature of the software?

I've never ever bothered to suggest things on OS software sites because it never seems to be done, I code it myself or find someone else who can do it. Might type up a suggestion for it tomorrow and see if it ever get anywhere.
Jamie M
29 May 2016, 6:56 pm #201

(29 May 2016, 6:40 pm)Adrian I agree Jamie. A more email conversation or 'chat like' view would be more beneficial for PM. It may be worth suggesting something on the MyBB community, as I don't believe it can be enabled within a core feature of the software?

I've never ever bothered to suggest things on OS software sites because it never seems to be done, I code it myself or find someone else who can do it. Might type up a suggestion for it tomorrow and see if it ever get anywhere.

Jamie M

Unregistered

30 May 2016, 8:47 am #202
Inside the fleet subdirectory, the "Go north east" fleet button leads to ./fleet/gne.php rather than ./fleet/gnefleet.php
Jamie M
30 May 2016, 8:47 am #202

Inside the fleet subdirectory, the "Go north east" fleet button leads to ./fleet/gne.php rather than ./fleet/gnefleet.php

Andreos1

31 May 2016, 3:09 pm #203
No idea whether these ideas would work or not, but it may help fill the shortfall left over following the appeal for donations and the subsequent use of ads on the page.

Sponsored pages - within an operators thread, sponsored links to their webpage.
The benefits of this, are pretty obvious for both parties.

Raffles or competitions - This could be via 'bids' or purchase of virtual tickets and a prize could be offered to the winner.
I have no idea if this contravenes any specific laws/legislation.

Obviously there are a number of people on the forum, who have contacts within various organisations and operators. I am sure a quiet word here and there, could lead to implementation (certainly the first suggestion) and a flow of funds to the site, that may or may not materialise under the current ad campaign.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
31 May 2016, 3:09 pm #203

No idea whether these ideas would work or not, but it may help fill the shortfall left over following the appeal for donations and the subsequent use of ads on the page.

Raffles or competitions - This could be via 'bids' or purchase of virtual tickets and a prize could be offered to the winner.

Obviously there are a number of people on the forum, who have contacts within various organisations and operators. I am sure a quiet word here and there, could lead to implementation (certainly the first suggestion) and a flow of funds to the site, that may or may not materialise under the current ad campaign.

Adrian

31 May 2016, 4:47 pm #204
(31 May 2016, 3:09 pm)Andreos1 No idea whether these ideas would work or not, but it may help fill the shortfall left over following the appeal for donations and the subsequent use of ads on the page.

Sponsored pages isn't a bad idea, but in my opinion, you won't get a buy in from this industry. The forum is full of users who already (at least claim to) know these companies inside out, and I don't feel that there's a huge benefit for them to have traffic from NEB. The only benefit for them would be if we were to give favourable reviews or promotion of their services, which in my opinion would take away the site's independence. 

I don't think that raffles work online, as it becomes an administrative burden, and you've got to expect to receive 3x as much in money compared to the cost of your prize. With competitions, you'll generally be given a sponsored prize on condition it's not sold on. So the expectation is that you do a free prize draw from your membership usually. It may generate a bit more site traffic, but not any direct revenue.

A lot of similar websites work on a 'premium content' basis, and that's how they raise funds to cover the running costs (or make a profit). Whilst it's not up to me, I'd personally be disappointed if NEB went down that route. The site has been breakthrough as far as bus enthusiasts go, as it's shifted the landscape away from closed group / country club style setups, to a resource that everyone can use and enjoy. Liam and Dan are constantly working on new projects, and we're also putting a lot of effort into reviewing almost 20GB of bygone era content, with a view of finally having that up and running for everyone. I estimate there's at least 100 hours of work in that alone, and that's being asked of volunteers.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
31 May 2016, 4:47 pm #204

(31 May 2016, 3:09 pm)Andreos1 No idea whether these ideas would work or not, but it may help fill the shortfall left over following the appeal for donations and the subsequent use of ads on the page.

Sponsored pages isn't a bad idea, but in my opinion, you won't get a buy in from this industry. The forum is full of users who already (at least claim to) know these companies inside out, and I don't feel that there's a huge benefit for them to have traffic from NEB. The only benefit for them would be if we were to give favourable reviews or promotion of their services, which in my opinion would take away the site's independence. 

I don't think that raffles work online, as it becomes an administrative burden, and you've got to expect to receive 3x as much in money compared to the cost of your prize. With competitions, you'll generally be given a sponsored prize on condition it's not sold on. So the expectation is that you do a free prize draw from your membership usually. It may generate a bit more site traffic, but not any direct revenue.

A lot of similar websites work on a 'premium content' basis, and that's how they raise funds to cover the running costs (or make a profit). Whilst it's not up to me, I'd personally be disappointed if NEB went down that route. The site has been breakthrough as far as bus enthusiasts go, as it's shifted the landscape away from closed group / country club style setups, to a resource that everyone can use and enjoy. Liam and Dan are constantly working on new projects, and we're also putting a lot of effort into reviewing almost 20GB of bygone era content, with a view of finally having that up and running for everyone. I estimate there's at least 100 hours of work in that alone, and that's being asked of volunteers.

Jamie M

Unregistered

07 Jun 2016, 11:23 pm #205
Provide a switch to the full site on mobile. Sometimes dynamic sites can lack features, even on bigger devices. Having a toggle feature to switch to a static, full version of the site on mobile would certainly improve my experience. The is perhaps the first time I've used my phone outside of tapatalk.
Jamie M
07 Jun 2016, 11:23 pm #205

Provide a switch to the full site on mobile. Sometimes dynamic sites can lack features, even on bigger devices. Having a toggle feature to switch to a static, full version of the site on mobile would certainly improve my experience. The is perhaps the first time I've used my phone outside of tapatalk.

02 Jul 2016, 11:19 pm #206
Additional labels for former companies of Stagecoach. Eg. Tyne and Wear PTE, Cleveland Transit, Newcastle Corporation etc.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Rapidsnap
02 Jul 2016, 11:19 pm #206

Additional labels for former companies of Stagecoach. Eg. Tyne and Wear PTE, Cleveland Transit, Newcastle Corporation etc.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.

Jamie M

Unregistered

28 Aug 2016, 9:30 pm #207
Where avaliable can vehicles with tachographs be marked? It'd be quite interesting.
Jamie M
28 Aug 2016, 9:30 pm #207

Where avaliable can vehicles with tachographs be marked? It'd be quite interesting.

Dan

Site Administrator

29 Aug 2016, 8:03 am #208
(28 Aug 2016, 9:30 pm)Jamie M Where avaliable can vehicles with tachographs be marked? It'd be quite interesting.

We're currently redeveloping the fleet list section so we can certainly look to implement this too.
Dan
29 Aug 2016, 8:03 am #208

(28 Aug 2016, 9:30 pm)Jamie M Where avaliable can vehicles with tachographs be marked? It'd be quite interesting.

We're currently redeveloping the fleet list section so we can certainly look to implement this too.

Jamie M

Unregistered

29 Aug 2016, 8:05 pm #209
(29 Aug 2016, 8:03 am)Dan We're currently redeveloping the fleet list section so we can certainly look to implement this too.
Yep I noticed Omnidekkas do or certainly did have the NSA speaker symbol next to them and this certainly isn't true!
Jamie M
29 Aug 2016, 8:05 pm #209

(29 Aug 2016, 8:03 am)Dan We're currently redeveloping the fleet list section so we can certainly look to implement this too.
Yep I noticed Omnidekkas do or certainly did have the NSA speaker symbol next to them and this certainly isn't true!

Dan

Site Administrator

30 Aug 2016, 5:52 am #210
(29 Aug 2016, 8:05 pm)Jamie M Yep I noticed Omnidekkas do or certainly did have the NSA speaker symbol next to them and this certainly isn't true!

Technically is true.

All vehicles in Brighton & Hove's fleet have a Next Stop Announcement system using the internal bus stopping sign.

Go North East could use it for Next Stop Announcements if they so wished but it would be a bit of a laborious task and would be adding a further different system to the mix which isn't ideal... So they aren't used for this purpose.
Dan
30 Aug 2016, 5:52 am #210

(29 Aug 2016, 8:05 pm)Jamie M Yep I noticed Omnidekkas do or certainly did have the NSA speaker symbol next to them and this certainly isn't true!

Technically is true.

All vehicles in Brighton & Hove's fleet have a Next Stop Announcement system using the internal bus stopping sign.

Go North East could use it for Next Stop Announcements if they so wished but it would be a bit of a laborious task and would be adding a further different system to the mix which isn't ideal... So they aren't used for this purpose.

Jamie M

Unregistered

30 Aug 2016, 10:29 am #211
(30 Aug 2016, 5:52 am)Dan Technically is true.

Ah, I often wondered why that's the case. Thanks.
Jamie M
30 Aug 2016, 10:29 am #211

(30 Aug 2016, 5:52 am)Dan Technically is true.

Ah, I often wondered why that's the case. Thanks.

Andreos1

17 Oct 2016, 5:10 pm #212
I've suggested a roads and infrastructure section previously.
The number of posts in the 'Bus Infrastructure' thread (particularly Newcastle Area Developments, Sunderland Area Developments etc)  are increasing and usually have nothing to do with bus infrastructure.

So, I wondered if the suggestion was worth picking up again...

Andreos1
17 Oct 2016, 5:10 pm #212

I've suggested a roads and infrastructure section previously.
The number of posts in the 'Bus Infrastructure' thread (particularly Newcastle Area Developments, Sunderland Area Developments etc)  are increasing and usually have nothing to do with bus infrastructure.

Adrian

17 Oct 2016, 8:06 pm #213
(17 Oct 2016, 5:10 pm)Andreos1 I've suggested a roads and infrastructure section previously.

I think it's something worth considering next time we review, which shouldn't be too long away. Smile

Adrian
17 Oct 2016, 8:06 pm #213

(17 Oct 2016, 5:10 pm)Andreos1 I've suggested a roads and infrastructure section previously.

I think it's something worth considering next time we review, which shouldn't be too long away. Smile

Michael

17 Oct 2016, 8:08 pm #214

That's my fault, for the Sunderland one, maybe it should be moved to a different part of the fourm!

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
17 Oct 2016, 8:08 pm #214

That's my fault, for the Sunderland one, maybe it should be moved to a different part of the fourm!

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Andreos1

18 Oct 2016, 9:25 am #215
(17 Oct 2016, 8:06 pm)Adrian I think it's something worth considering next time we review, which shouldn't be too long away. Smile

Cheers. Although the threads were relevant initially, the majority of the posts aren't.

(17 Oct 2016, 8:08 pm)Michael That's my fault, for the Sunderland one, maybe it should be moved to a different part of the fourm!

I think the posts and content have just adapted over the years. What was maybe related to buses and infrastructure initially, is now content related to the specific areas and the title of the thread if that makes sense.
I have posted stuff in there too. As an example the Odeon being demolished on Pilgrim Street - is definately in the right thread (Newcastle Area Developments), but not sure it has much to do with buses (at this stage anyway). Ditto the Aldi and Lidl stuff I have posted in the Sunderland thread.

Andreos1
18 Oct 2016, 9:25 am #215

(17 Oct 2016, 8:06 pm)Adrian I think it's something worth considering next time we review, which shouldn't be too long away. Smile

Cheers. Although the threads were relevant initially, the majority of the posts aren't.

(17 Oct 2016, 8:08 pm)Michael That's my fault, for the Sunderland one, maybe it should be moved to a different part of the fourm!

I think the posts and content have just adapted over the years. What was maybe related to buses and infrastructure initially, is now content related to the specific areas and the title of the thread if that makes sense.
I have posted stuff in there too. As an example the Odeon being demolished on Pilgrim Street - is definately in the right thread (Newcastle Area Developments), but not sure it has much to do with buses (at this stage anyway). Ditto the Aldi and Lidl stuff I have posted in the Sunderland thread.

19 Dec 2016, 11:14 am #216
What ever happened to being credited for photos being used on the site? i.e. within News/Fleetlists.
Just a slight observation, not a gripe.

RBZ5459 | flickr | THV

RBZ 5459
19 Dec 2016, 11:14 am #216

What ever happened to being credited for photos being used on the site? i.e. within News/Fleetlists.

RBZ5459 | flickr | THV

Dan

Site Administrator

19 Dec 2016, 11:30 am #217
(19 Dec 2016, 11:14 am)RBZ 5459 What ever happened to being credited for photos being used on the site? i.e. within News/Fleetlists.

As part of our ongoing updates to the website, we hope to add the Flickr username as credit back in. If this can't be achieved by an automatic process, the photos will link to the source as they did before, to credit the photographer.
Dan
19 Dec 2016, 11:30 am #217

(19 Dec 2016, 11:14 am)RBZ 5459 What ever happened to being credited for photos being used on the site? i.e. within News/Fleetlists.

As part of our ongoing updates to the website, we hope to add the Flickr username as credit back in. If this can't be achieved by an automatic process, the photos will link to the source as they did before, to credit the photographer.

19 Dec 2016, 11:39 am #218
(19 Dec 2016, 11:30 am)Dan As part of our ongoing updates to the website, we hope to add the Flickr username as credit back in. If this can't be achieved by an automatic process, the photos will link to the source as they did before, to credit the photographer.

Thought it could be somewhere in the updates, ta!

RBZ5459 | flickr | THV

RBZ 5459
19 Dec 2016, 11:39 am #218

(19 Dec 2016, 11:30 am)Dan As part of our ongoing updates to the website, we hope to add the Flickr username as credit back in. If this can't be achieved by an automatic process, the photos will link to the source as they did before, to credit the photographer.

Thought it could be somewhere in the updates, ta!

RBZ5459 | flickr | THV

Dan

Site Administrator

01 Jan 2017, 3:25 pm #219

(19 Dec 2016, 11:39 am)RBZ 5459 Thought it could be somewhere in the updates, ta!

Photographs included within the news and fleet list sections now link back to the source, as they did before.

We'll look into adding the 'credit to' text at a later date.
Dan
01 Jan 2017, 3:25 pm #219

(19 Dec 2016, 11:39 am)RBZ 5459 Thought it could be somewhere in the updates, ta!

Photographs included within the news and fleet list sections now link back to the source, as they did before.

We'll look into adding the 'credit to' text at a later date.

Pages (11): Previous 19 10 11

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average