Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Bygone Era The recreation of the Bygone Era...

The recreation of the Bygone Era...

The recreation of the Bygone Era...

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Poll: Do you like our proposal?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.

Yes
55.00%
Votes 11
No
10.00%
Votes 2
Not Sure
35.00%
Votes 7

Total 20 vote(s) 100%
cbma06

30 Dec 2013, 12:44 pm #6
(30 Dec 2013, 10:41 am)AdamY I voted 'Not Sure'.

I like how the layout appears now, however, a search facility would be useful for users hunting for specific timetables. The Go North East section is pretty comprehensively listed with details of what's included in each file set, but there is much room for improvement in the DCC section where detailed listings have seemingly been abandoned even though they're still available for download. Will this be rectified under the new system? - Only if the moderators have the time or motivation to do so, just as it is now.

The PDF files do need to be significantly smaller though. I understand the quality argument, but as most of these files contain mostly text and numbers, are high quality PDF files really necessary? Smaller files sizes reduce the amount of storage space and might encourage more users to download what is there. For example, people might be deterred from downloading the 400MB 1949 Northern Timetable, however a 28.8MB (which I created from the original document) version might be more appealing to users.

Im abit unsure at present (havnt voted yet) the Northern 1949 timetable was to big when I originally downloaded the item to the server, but since then I managed to split the document into 6 separate documents listed part 1 to 6 so the download will be more simple and easier, but was in the process of downloading the item when Brandon left the group, so I think I was waiting for Brandon to delete the huge bigger files and replace them with the split files as their was quite a lot, don't know if the split northern 1949 document eventually get on the server.

I liked the layout of what Brandon originally did in the bygone era

cbma06
30 Dec 2013, 12:44 pm #6

(30 Dec 2013, 10:41 am)AdamY I voted 'Not Sure'.

I like how the layout appears now, however, a search facility would be useful for users hunting for specific timetables. The Go North East section is pretty comprehensively listed with details of what's included in each file set, but there is much room for improvement in the DCC section where detailed listings have seemingly been abandoned even though they're still available for download. Will this be rectified under the new system? - Only if the moderators have the time or motivation to do so, just as it is now.

The PDF files do need to be significantly smaller though. I understand the quality argument, but as most of these files contain mostly text and numbers, are high quality PDF files really necessary? Smaller files sizes reduce the amount of storage space and might encourage more users to download what is there. For example, people might be deterred from downloading the 400MB 1949 Northern Timetable, however a 28.8MB (which I created from the original document) version might be more appealing to users.

Im abit unsure at present (havnt voted yet) the Northern 1949 timetable was to big when I originally downloaded the item to the server, but since then I managed to split the document into 6 separate documents listed part 1 to 6 so the download will be more simple and easier, but was in the process of downloading the item when Brandon left the group, so I think I was waiting for Brandon to delete the huge bigger files and replace them with the split files as their was quite a lot, don't know if the split northern 1949 document eventually get on the server.

I liked the layout of what Brandon originally did in the bygone era

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Messages In This Thread
The recreation of the Bygone Era... - by Dan - 21 Dec 2013, 3:01 pm
RE: The recreation of the Bygone Era... - by Andreos1 - 21 Dec 2013, 3:14 pm
RE: The recreation of the Bygone Era... - by Dan - 21 Dec 2013, 3:30 pm
RE: The recreation of the Bygone Era... - by Tom - 21 Dec 2013, 3:14 pm
RE: The recreation of the Bygone Era... - by MurdnunoC - 30 Dec 2013, 10:41 am
RE: The recreation of the Bygone Era... - by cbma06 - 30 Dec 2013, 12:44 pm
RE: The recreation of the Bygone Era... - by LVK 404L - 21 May 2014, 8:14 pm
RE: The recreation of the Bygone Era... - by MurdnunoC - 21 May 2014, 9:24 pm
RE: The recreation of the Bygone Era... - by LVK 404L - 22 May 2014, 9:51 am