Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Tender Discussion Thread

Tender Discussion Thread

Tender Discussion Thread

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (55): Previous 122 23 2455 Next
Dan

Site Administrator

22 Mar 2016, 5:54 pm #441
(22 Mar 2016, 5:49 pm)Michael Cheers Dan

Hopefully:

GNE win the 82/83.
Stagecoach win the 77/77A to run by themselves, like the amended contract said, meaning after a while they can withdraw he 77/77A and change the 5/5A to go back to the docks like now Tongue.

Remember that regardless of who wins the contract, the current Monday - Saturday 5/5A timetable will not continue, from May.

As another operator has stepped in to operate the City Centre - The Docks section of the daytime 77 service on a commercial basis, this part of the contract was cancelled (so Stagecoach will definitely not be operating to The Docks from May, unless they decide to operate it commercially themselves).

The contract out there now is for the evening and Sunday operation of the 77/77A services all the way between The Docks and Gilley Law.
Dan
22 Mar 2016, 5:54 pm #441

(22 Mar 2016, 5:49 pm)Michael Cheers Dan

Hopefully:

GNE win the 82/83.
Stagecoach win the 77/77A to run by themselves, like the amended contract said, meaning after a while they can withdraw he 77/77A and change the 5/5A to go back to the docks like now Tongue.

Remember that regardless of who wins the contract, the current Monday - Saturday 5/5A timetable will not continue, from May.

As another operator has stepped in to operate the City Centre - The Docks section of the daytime 77 service on a commercial basis, this part of the contract was cancelled (so Stagecoach will definitely not be operating to The Docks from May, unless they decide to operate it commercially themselves).

The contract out there now is for the evening and Sunday operation of the 77/77A services all the way between The Docks and Gilley Law.

Michael

22 Mar 2016, 6:15 pm #442
(22 Mar 2016, 5:54 pm)Dan Remember that regardless of who wins the contract, the current Monday - Saturday 5/5A timetable will not continue, from May.

Ye, glad the main route isn't changing, as i use it regularly. 

I'm not sure i understand the 2nd part of your post Dan, as you said NEXUS haven't released details of the contact but then you say "As another operator has stepped in to operate the City Centre - The Docks section of the daytime 77 service on a commercial basis" - this sounds like they have decided, then you say... unless Stagecoach decide to operate it on a commercial bases.... confused on that point. 

Do you know if Megariders will be allowed to be used on evenings/Sundays?, if the 77/77A is ran by another company.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
22 Mar 2016, 6:15 pm #442

(22 Mar 2016, 5:54 pm)Dan Remember that regardless of who wins the contract, the current Monday - Saturday 5/5A timetable will not continue, from May.

Ye, glad the main route isn't changing, as i use it regularly. 

I'm not sure i understand the 2nd part of your post Dan, as you said NEXUS haven't released details of the contact but then you say "As another operator has stepped in to operate the City Centre - The Docks section of the daytime 77 service on a commercial basis" - this sounds like they have decided, then you say... unless Stagecoach decide to operate it on a commercial bases.... confused on that point. 

Do you know if Megariders will be allowed to be used on evenings/Sundays?, if the 77/77A is ran by another company.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Dan

Site Administrator

22 Mar 2016, 6:25 pm #443
(22 Mar 2016, 6:15 pm)Michael Ye, glad the main route isn't changing, as i use it regularly. 

Stagecoach presently operate services 5/5A between The Docks and Doxford Park. The section between Doxford Park and City Centre is operated by Stagecoach on a commercial basis, on Monday - Saturday daytimes. There is currently a through service from City Centre to The Docks, despite this section of the route being operated under contract to Nexus. On evenings and Sundays, the whole route between The Docks and Gilley Law is operated under contract to Nexus, by Stagecoach.

The new tender from May was originally the same, albeit numbered 77/77A. However, an amendment was made to the contract a few weeks into the tender process, with Nexus cancelling the daytime service between The Docks and City Centre. When this has happened in the past, it has been because another operator has stepped in to operate that service on a commercial basis. A fairly recent example would be Gateshead Central Taxis being awarded with the operation of the 96A service from Metrocentre to Lobley Hill. Go North East stepped in after the result was announced, to operate this service on a commercial basis. It's probably quite anti-competitive in a way, but on the flip side, can be quite a good thing, as it means that the operators are taking the rough with the smooth (whatever their intentions for this may be).

So, back to the 77/77A, this means that an operator has decided to operate the section of the new 77/77A services Monday - Saturday daytimes between The Docks and City Centre on a commercial basis. Stagecoach will not be able to continue with their current timetable on the 5/5A, if they are not the operator which has stepped in to operate the daytime Docks - City Centre section on a commercial basis. I think it's unlikely that Stagecoach will be the operator to do this, though.

Hopefully this is a bit clearer?
Dan
22 Mar 2016, 6:25 pm #443

(22 Mar 2016, 6:15 pm)Michael Ye, glad the main route isn't changing, as i use it regularly. 

Stagecoach presently operate services 5/5A between The Docks and Doxford Park. The section between Doxford Park and City Centre is operated by Stagecoach on a commercial basis, on Monday - Saturday daytimes. There is currently a through service from City Centre to The Docks, despite this section of the route being operated under contract to Nexus. On evenings and Sundays, the whole route between The Docks and Gilley Law is operated under contract to Nexus, by Stagecoach.

The new tender from May was originally the same, albeit numbered 77/77A. However, an amendment was made to the contract a few weeks into the tender process, with Nexus cancelling the daytime service between The Docks and City Centre. When this has happened in the past, it has been because another operator has stepped in to operate that service on a commercial basis. A fairly recent example would be Gateshead Central Taxis being awarded with the operation of the 96A service from Metrocentre to Lobley Hill. Go North East stepped in after the result was announced, to operate this service on a commercial basis. It's probably quite anti-competitive in a way, but on the flip side, can be quite a good thing, as it means that the operators are taking the rough with the smooth (whatever their intentions for this may be).

So, back to the 77/77A, this means that an operator has decided to operate the section of the new 77/77A services Monday - Saturday daytimes between The Docks and City Centre on a commercial basis. Stagecoach will not be able to continue with their current timetable on the 5/5A, if they are not the operator which has stepped in to operate the daytime Docks - City Centre section on a commercial basis. I think it's unlikely that Stagecoach will be the operator to do this, though.

Michael

22 Mar 2016, 6:37 pm #444
(22 Mar 2016, 6:25 pm)Dan Stagecoach presently operate services 5/5A between The Docks and Doxford Park. The section between Doxford Park and City Centre is operated by Stagecoach on a commercial basis, on Monday - Saturday daytimes. There is currently a through service from City Centre to The Docks, despite this section of the route being operated under contract to Nexus. On evenings and Sundays, the whole route between The Docks and Gilley Law is operated under contract to Nexus, by Stagecoach.

Ahhh right thanks Dan. Sorry you had to explain it better haha

With regards of the current numbering, it wouldn't surprise me if the 5A is dropped and Stagecoach will just run it as the 5, as the 5/5A do the exact same route until the City Centre, as for the new City Centre route, it will probables follow the 12 route.

Be good to finally have a different number service where i live also it'll be different to see another bus company run it too, if another company wins it on an evening and Sunday...
Edited 22 Mar 2016, 6:52 pm by Michael.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
22 Mar 2016, 6:37 pm #444

(22 Mar 2016, 6:25 pm)Dan Stagecoach presently operate services 5/5A between The Docks and Doxford Park. The section between Doxford Park and City Centre is operated by Stagecoach on a commercial basis, on Monday - Saturday daytimes. There is currently a through service from City Centre to The Docks, despite this section of the route being operated under contract to Nexus. On evenings and Sundays, the whole route between The Docks and Gilley Law is operated under contract to Nexus, by Stagecoach.

Ahhh right thanks Dan. Sorry you had to explain it better haha

With regards of the current numbering, it wouldn't surprise me if the 5A is dropped and Stagecoach will just run it as the 5, as the 5/5A do the exact same route until the City Centre, as for the new City Centre route, it will probables follow the 12 route.

Be good to finally have a different number service where i live also it'll be different to see another bus company run it too, if another company wins it on an evening and Sunday...

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

23 Mar 2016, 11:22 am #445
(22 Mar 2016, 5:42 pm)Dan Tender closed last week so Nexus will be evaluating the bids now. Will provide an update when it is confirmed by Nexus.

Arriva presumably didn't go in for the contract, hence the early confirmation that they wouldn't be operating it.

The contract which Arriva had was due to expire next year apparently, but due to costs and the fact the buses can be utilised elsewhere, the contract was surrendered; hence, the short period for this upcoming tender.
palatine3833
23 Mar 2016, 11:22 am #445

(22 Mar 2016, 5:42 pm)Dan Tender closed last week so Nexus will be evaluating the bids now. Will provide an update when it is confirmed by Nexus.

Arriva presumably didn't go in for the contract, hence the early confirmation that they wouldn't be operating it.

The contract which Arriva had was due to expire next year apparently, but due to costs and the fact the buses can be utilised elsewhere, the contract was surrendered; hence, the short period for this upcoming tender.

Dan

Site Administrator

23 Mar 2016, 12:18 pm #446
The Nexus tenders for May 2016 have been awarded as follows:

5/5A (evening and Sunday) - Stagecoach North East
82/83 - Go North East
85/86 - Go North East
592 - Gateshead Central Taxis
593 - Gateshead Central Taxis
92, 83A, 927, 937, 68, 93A - Gateshead Central Taxis
Dan
23 Mar 2016, 12:18 pm #446

The Nexus tenders for May 2016 have been awarded as follows:

82/83 - Go North East
85/86 - Go North East

Michael

23 Mar 2016, 1:51 pm #447
(23 Mar 2016, 12:18 pm)Dan The Nexus tenders for May 2016 have been awarded as follows:

82/83 - Go North East
85/86 - Go North East

Thanks Dan, glad Stagecoach have kept the evening and Sunday runs, new number for my area to Big Grin

Least the 82/83/86/86 are back in to GNE hands.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
23 Mar 2016, 1:51 pm #447

(23 Mar 2016, 12:18 pm)Dan The Nexus tenders for May 2016 have been awarded as follows:

82/83 - Go North East
85/86 - Go North East

Thanks Dan, glad Stagecoach have kept the evening and Sunday runs, new number for my area to Big Grin

Least the 82/83/86/86 are back in to GNE hands.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

DanPicken

Banned

23 Mar 2016, 4:14 pm #448

82/83 - Go North East
85/86 - Go North East
Well that's me not getting the 83A then. And the evening reliability of the 82 going downhill.
DanPicken
23 Mar 2016, 4:14 pm #448

82/83 - Go North East
85/86 - Go North East
Well that's me not getting the 83A then. And the evening reliability of the 82 going downhill.

BJ10VUS

23 Mar 2016, 4:22 pm #449
(23 Mar 2016, 4:14 pm)DanPicken Well that's me not getting the 83A then. And the evening reliability of the 82 going downhill.

The 83A is once a day at about half 6 in the morning, I doubt you'd be a regular passenger!
BJ10VUS
23 Mar 2016, 4:22 pm #449

(23 Mar 2016, 4:14 pm)DanPicken Well that's me not getting the 83A then. And the evening reliability of the 82 going downhill.

The 83A is once a day at about half 6 in the morning, I doubt you'd be a regular passenger!

Dan

Site Administrator

23 Mar 2016, 5:04 pm #450

82/83 - Go North East
85/86 - Go North East

39 and 516 also retained by Go North East.

Oh, grow up.

The running time will be exactly the same as the current evening 82/83 services - if Arriva can stick to this timetable, then Go North East will be able to stick to it as well. Worth noting that the current hourly service is being increased to half-hourly (ish) - departures from Concord at xx41 and xx09, from 19:41 to 23:41.
Dan
23 Mar 2016, 5:04 pm #450

82/83 - Go North East
85/86 - Go North East

39 and 516 also retained by Go North East.

Oh, grow up.

The running time will be exactly the same as the current evening 82/83 services - if Arriva can stick to this timetable, then Go North East will be able to stick to it as well. Worth noting that the current hourly service is being increased to half-hourly (ish) - departures from Concord at xx41 and xx09, from 19:41 to 23:41.

BJ10VUS

23 Mar 2016, 5:07 pm #451
(23 Mar 2016, 5:04 pm)Dan 92, 83A, 927, 937, 68, 93A - Gateshead Central Taxis

Out of curiosity, will this allow for a spare Solo SR with all of the above being moved to Gateshead Central Taxis? Possible candidate for Hexham, or Deptford to replace an MPD on the 38/238, with one having recently moved to Hexham for the AD122?
Edited 23 Mar 2016, 5:08 pm by BJ10VUS.
BJ10VUS
23 Mar 2016, 5:07 pm #451

(23 Mar 2016, 5:04 pm)Dan 92, 83A, 927, 937, 68, 93A - Gateshead Central Taxis

Out of curiosity, will this allow for a spare Solo SR with all of the above being moved to Gateshead Central Taxis? Possible candidate for Hexham, or Deptford to replace an MPD on the 38/238, with one having recently moved to Hexham for the AD122?

Adrian

23 Mar 2016, 5:11 pm #452
(23 Mar 2016, 11:22 am)palatine3833 The contract which Arriva had was due to expire next year apparently, but due to costs and the fact the buses can be utilised elsewhere, the contract was surrendered; hence, the short period for this upcoming tender.

But Arriva wouldn't exactly be short of buses on an evening? Plenty of Solos and E200s will be sat in the depot.

It's unusual for mutual agreement to be reached to end a contract early, or at least without penalty. Is it perhaps a case that Arriva's bid for the work wasn't breaking even, and they've not been able to make any financial progress from it?

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
23 Mar 2016, 5:11 pm #452

(23 Mar 2016, 11:22 am)palatine3833 The contract which Arriva had was due to expire next year apparently, but due to costs and the fact the buses can be utilised elsewhere, the contract was surrendered; hence, the short period for this upcoming tender.

But Arriva wouldn't exactly be short of buses on an evening? Plenty of Solos and E200s will be sat in the depot.

It's unusual for mutual agreement to be reached to end a contract early, or at least without penalty. Is it perhaps a case that Arriva's bid for the work wasn't breaking even, and they've not been able to make any financial progress from it?

23 Mar 2016, 5:11 pm #453
(23 Mar 2016, 5:04 pm)Dan 39 and 516 also retained by Go North East.

Will the 516 still utilise a Solo SR?

My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile
South Tyne Lad
23 Mar 2016, 5:11 pm #453

Will the 516 still utilise a Solo SR?

My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile

Dan

Site Administrator

23 Mar 2016, 5:20 pm #454

(23 Mar 2016, 5:11 pm)Adrian But Arriva wouldn't exactly be short of buses on an evening? Plenty of Solos and E200s will be sat in the depot.

palatine3833 has been misinformed.

The original tender was a four-year contract which commenced 27/05/2012 and was due to expire 21/05/2016, so the contract will expire as per the original end date specified in the contract.

(23 Mar 2016, 5:07 pm)BJ10VUS Out of curiosity, will this allow for a spare Solo SR with all of the above being moved to Gateshead Central Taxis? Possible candidate for Hexham, or Deptford to replace an MPD on the 38/238, with one having recently moved to Hexham for the AD122?

Yes, an Optare Solo SR will be freed up as a result of the loss of this contract. I would expect it to be repainted red.

(23 Mar 2016, 5:11 pm)South Tyne Lad Will the 516 still utilise a Solo SR?

The contractual requirement is for a Euro 4 vehicle with a minimum capacity of 36. The current contract is for a Euro 5 vehicle of the same capacity.

As such, there'd technically be scope in service 516 being allocated a different vehicle, though I'm unsure if it will be at this stage. It's worth noting that the new contracts do not stipulate the use of a "Nexus" branded vehicle, which would give operators the option to repaint the buses into their own corporate livery, to operate these services.
Dan
23 Mar 2016, 5:20 pm #454

(23 Mar 2016, 5:11 pm)Adrian But Arriva wouldn't exactly be short of buses on an evening? Plenty of Solos and E200s will be sat in the depot.

palatine3833 has been misinformed.

The original tender was a four-year contract which commenced 27/05/2012 and was due to expire 21/05/2016, so the contract will expire as per the original end date specified in the contract.

(23 Mar 2016, 5:07 pm)BJ10VUS Out of curiosity, will this allow for a spare Solo SR with all of the above being moved to Gateshead Central Taxis? Possible candidate for Hexham, or Deptford to replace an MPD on the 38/238, with one having recently moved to Hexham for the AD122?

Yes, an Optare Solo SR will be freed up as a result of the loss of this contract. I would expect it to be repainted red.

(23 Mar 2016, 5:11 pm)South Tyne Lad Will the 516 still utilise a Solo SR?

The contractual requirement is for a Euro 4 vehicle with a minimum capacity of 36. The current contract is for a Euro 5 vehicle of the same capacity.

As such, there'd technically be scope in service 516 being allocated a different vehicle, though I'm unsure if it will be at this stage. It's worth noting that the new contracts do not stipulate the use of a "Nexus" branded vehicle, which would give operators the option to repaint the buses into their own corporate livery, to operate these services.

BJ10VUS

23 Mar 2016, 5:47 pm #455
(23 Mar 2016, 5:20 pm)Dan Yes, an Optare Solo SR will be freed up as a result of the loss of this contract. I would expect it to be repainted red.

Thanks for the information, it's certainly interesting to read about the new contracts not requiring Nexus Buses livery.
BJ10VUS
23 Mar 2016, 5:47 pm #455

(23 Mar 2016, 5:20 pm)Dan Yes, an Optare Solo SR will be freed up as a result of the loss of this contract. I would expect it to be repainted red.

Thanks for the information, it's certainly interesting to read about the new contracts not requiring Nexus Buses livery.

Michael

23 Mar 2016, 7:20 pm #456
(23 Mar 2016, 5:20 pm)Dan palatine3833 has been misinformed.

The Solo should go to Percy Main for the spare role of 40/41/80, as they won't have one.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
23 Mar 2016, 7:20 pm #456

(23 Mar 2016, 5:20 pm)Dan palatine3833 has been misinformed.

The Solo should go to Percy Main for the spare role of 40/41/80, as they won't have one.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

DanPicken

Banned

23 Mar 2016, 7:36 pm #457

Oh, grow up.

Well GNE clearly struggle during the day and will for a bit during the evening.
DanPicken
23 Mar 2016, 7:36 pm #457

Oh, grow up.

Well GNE clearly struggle during the day and will for a bit during the evening.

Michael

23 Mar 2016, 7:57 pm #458
(23 Mar 2016, 7:36 pm)DanPicken Well GNE clearly struggle during the day and will for a bit during the evening.

The roads etc are more busy during the day though, every bus company will have a delay of some sort on their routes.
Edited 23 Mar 2016, 7:58 pm by Michael.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
23 Mar 2016, 7:57 pm #458

(23 Mar 2016, 7:36 pm)DanPicken Well GNE clearly struggle during the day and will for a bit during the evening.

The roads etc are more busy during the day though, every bus company will have a delay of some sort on their routes.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Adrian

23 Mar 2016, 8:10 pm #459

How can you compare traffic levels on a day and night? There's no shops open at the Galleries, and you haven't got a constant flow of traffic through Birtley, for a start.

Adrian
23 Mar 2016, 8:10 pm #459

How can you compare traffic levels on a day and night? There's no shops open at the Galleries, and you haven't got a constant flow of traffic through Birtley, for a start.

24 Mar 2016, 8:02 am #460
(23 Mar 2016, 8:10 pm)Adrian How can you compare traffic levels on a day and night? There's no shops open at the Galleries, and you haven't got a constant flow of traffic through Birtley, for a start.

Only way buses struggle on an evening/sunday is if the timetable has alot of running time removed!!, if the timetable remains the same then there's no reason why gne drivers cant keep on time.
wise owl
24 Mar 2016, 8:02 am #460

(23 Mar 2016, 8:10 pm)Adrian How can you compare traffic levels on a day and night? There's no shops open at the Galleries, and you haven't got a constant flow of traffic through Birtley, for a start.

Only way buses struggle on an evening/sunday is if the timetable has alot of running time removed!!, if the timetable remains the same then there's no reason why gne drivers cant keep on time.

Pages (55): Previous 122 23 2455 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average