Menu

North East Buses The Canteen Off-topic bus chat NEB Day Trips

NEB Day Trips

NEB Day Trips

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (7) 1 2 37 Next
Poll: Would you be interested in taking part in a NEB Day Trip
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.

Yes
47.83%
Votes 11
No
13.04%
Votes 3
Maybe
39.13%
Votes 9

Total 23 vote(s) 100%
Dan

Site Administrator

19 Jan 2014, 8:04 pm #1
Following on from discussion in this thread, I've decided to set up a new thread to explain things properly and so I can set up a poll.

My proposal is that, once monthly (presumably on a Saturday), we organise a day trip on NEB. Your family and friends can attend even if they are not members of the forum. While the locations have not yet been established, there is plenty of scope for the places we could go to.

This will presumably be cheaper than travelling by train (which would have been the alternative), and allows us to get together to get away from the North East and get some great photos.

I have contacted approximately 15 companies based around the North East asking for a quote on how much it would be for a group of us to travel to Dunfermline in mid-August from Newcastle Central Station. This of course is related to the SVBM Open Weekend, which several members have shown interest towards. It would be great to have an idea of numbers just so I can tell the companies, should they ask.

If you are interested in accompanying us on these day trips, could you please fill out the poll above and outline in a post some of the places you would like to go to. If price is one of the things which would be the decision-maker for you, feel free to PM me or post below with the price too.
Dan
19 Jan 2014, 8:04 pm #1

Following on from discussion in this thread, I've decided to set up a new thread to explain things properly and so I can set up a poll.

My proposal is that, once monthly (presumably on a Saturday), we organise a day trip on NEB. Your family and friends can attend even if they are not members of the forum. While the locations have not yet been established, there is plenty of scope for the places we could go to.

This will presumably be cheaper than travelling by train (which would have been the alternative), and allows us to get together to get away from the North East and get some great photos.

I have contacted approximately 15 companies based around the North East asking for a quote on how much it would be for a group of us to travel to Dunfermline in mid-August from Newcastle Central Station. This of course is related to the SVBM Open Weekend, which several members have shown interest towards. It would be great to have an idea of numbers just so I can tell the companies, should they ask.

If you are interested in accompanying us on these day trips, could you please fill out the poll above and outline in a post some of the places you would like to go to. If price is one of the things which would be the decision-maker for you, feel free to PM me or post below with the price too.

Adrian

19 Jan 2014, 8:21 pm #2
I'm definitely interested if it's on a weekend. Only trip suggestions I've got are Lothian's open day if it happens in 2014, and perhaps looking out for a NRM York event. Aside from that, the only thing I'd say is to set deadlines for both interest and money collection well in advance of the day trip. I've found from personal experience that you'll always get a few drop out, which inevitably leads to others paying more. Sad

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
19 Jan 2014, 8:21 pm #2

I'm definitely interested if it's on a weekend. Only trip suggestions I've got are Lothian's open day if it happens in 2014, and perhaps looking out for a NRM York event. Aside from that, the only thing I'd say is to set deadlines for both interest and money collection well in advance of the day trip. I've found from personal experience that you'll always get a few drop out, which inevitably leads to others paying more. Sad

Dan

Site Administrator

19 Jan 2014, 8:30 pm #3
(19 Jan 2014, 8:21 pm)aureolin I'm definitely interested if it's on a weekend. Only trip suggestions I've got are Lothian's open day if it happens in 2014, and perhaps looking out for a NRM York event. Aside from that, the only thing I'd say is to set deadlines for both interest and money collection well in advance of the day trip. I've found from personal experience that you'll always get a few drop out, which inevitably leads to others paying more. Sad

Well the Doors Open Day is in September, so that's another trip sorted providing there is sufficient interest.

I'd personally like to go to Glasgow and the Lakes District too, so we've already got a possible five trips.

Indeed I do think deadlines will have to be brought in. I've found that people have said something like "Maximum fare of £20" in the past based on initial interest, and the actual turnout has reflected a cheaper fare on the day. If something similar was done (i.e. everyone pays £20 beforehand to secure their place) and it turns out that the turnout was better than the initial interest, people can get a fiver or something back on the day.
Dan
19 Jan 2014, 8:30 pm #3

(19 Jan 2014, 8:21 pm)aureolin I'm definitely interested if it's on a weekend. Only trip suggestions I've got are Lothian's open day if it happens in 2014, and perhaps looking out for a NRM York event. Aside from that, the only thing I'd say is to set deadlines for both interest and money collection well in advance of the day trip. I've found from personal experience that you'll always get a few drop out, which inevitably leads to others paying more. Sad

Well the Doors Open Day is in September, so that's another trip sorted providing there is sufficient interest.

I'd personally like to go to Glasgow and the Lakes District too, so we've already got a possible five trips.

Indeed I do think deadlines will have to be brought in. I've found that people have said something like "Maximum fare of £20" in the past based on initial interest, and the actual turnout has reflected a cheaper fare on the day. If something similar was done (i.e. everyone pays £20 beforehand to secure their place) and it turns out that the turnout was better than the initial interest, people can get a fiver or something back on the day.

Tom

19 Jan 2014, 8:32 pm #4
I'd defiantly take part in the future. Rather than montly, possibly 3 monthly, allowing for four trips per year, with the additional ''NEB Challenge'' which I will be taking part in if it does go ahead. Key factor of this would be research, looking at where people want to go, and more importantly, isn't easily accessible for cheap prices as there may be cheaper option which won't be as popular.
Edited 19 Jan 2014, 8:35 pm by Tom.
Tom
19 Jan 2014, 8:32 pm #4

I'd defiantly take part in the future. Rather than montly, possibly 3 monthly, allowing for four trips per year, with the additional ''NEB Challenge'' which I will be taking part in if it does go ahead. Key factor of this would be research, looking at where people want to go, and more importantly, isn't easily accessible for cheap prices as there may be cheaper option which won't be as popular.

Adrian

19 Jan 2014, 8:37 pm #5
(19 Jan 2014, 8:30 pm)Dan Well the Doors Open Day is in September, so that's another trip sorted providing there is sufficient interest.

Seems a fair way of doing it Smile Glasgow is definitely one I'd visit, as I'd love more time up there.

Adrian
19 Jan 2014, 8:37 pm #5

(19 Jan 2014, 8:30 pm)Dan Well the Doors Open Day is in September, so that's another trip sorted providing there is sufficient interest.

Seems a fair way of doing it Smile Glasgow is definitely one I'd visit, as I'd love more time up there.

Malarkey

19 Jan 2014, 8:51 pm #6
Just add to this idea rather than have Monthly Trips, why have 4 Major Trips Per Year and then if there is further interest, then schedule a few minor Day Trips in Between. As there are Various elements that you have to take into account also for example.

Cost - Can everyone Afford to do these trips on a Monthly Basis - (I know I can't)

Work - People who are in paid Employment - Will they be able to get the time off work to go on a Day Trip.

Trips - Would have been in Reason and Doable in a Day

Here little Model I have came up with, Trips would occur Every 3 Months, for example

February - Day Trip to Carlisle
May - Day Trip to Berwick and the Scottish Borders
August - Day Trip to Edinburgh and Dunfermline (SVBM)
November - Day Trip to Preston (Tour of John Fishwick and Sons Depot) if Possible

Then for Minor Trips in Between we could go to:

Lothian Open Doors Event
Weardale Open Day
Bus and Coach Show (Birmingham NEC Arena)
Showbus (Duxford near Cambridge in September)
Exeter Bus & Coach Station 50th Anniversary Rally (July)

There is just a few examples, and obviously in the North East we have Seaburn/Durham and MetroCentre Bus Rallies where we can meet up also, So I would SAY there is quite a bit scope for Day Trips which could be done.
Malarkey
19 Jan 2014, 8:51 pm #6

Just add to this idea rather than have Monthly Trips, why have 4 Major Trips Per Year and then if there is further interest, then schedule a few minor Day Trips in Between. As there are Various elements that you have to take into account also for example.

Cost - Can everyone Afford to do these trips on a Monthly Basis - (I know I can't)

Work - People who are in paid Employment - Will they be able to get the time off work to go on a Day Trip.

Here little Model I have came up with, Trips would occur Every 3 Months, for example

November - Day Trip to Preston (Tour of John Fishwick and Sons Depot) if Possible

Lothian Open Doors Event
Weardale Open Day

There is just a few examples, and obviously in the North East we have Seaburn/Durham and MetroCentre Bus Rallies where we can meet up also, So I would SAY there is quite a bit scope for Day Trips which could be done.

Y961 XBU

19 Jan 2014, 8:57 pm #7
if you end up this way give us a bell!
Y961 XBU
19 Jan 2014, 8:57 pm #7

if you end up this way give us a bell!

Dan

Site Administrator

19 Jan 2014, 8:59 pm #8
(19 Jan 2014, 8:51 pm)Adam Malarkey Just add to this idea rather than have Monthly Trips, why have 4 Major Trips Per Year and then if there is further interest, then schedule a few minor Day Trips in Between. As there are Various elements that you have to take into account also for example.

Lothian Open Doors Event
Weardale Open Day

Regarding the cost - we haven't got any prices yet! Depending on where we were going, it could be anything as cheap as £5 up to something as expensive as £20. I'll watch my e-mails like a hawk for the next few days and see what the quotes are like. If it's something out of this world, it's obvious we won't be able to do it.

Regarding work - that's why I chose a weekend date. If we're going to follow rallies around the UK, they could be on either a Saturday or Sunday. Means more people should be able to attend.

Regarding the time-span - I think most things can be done within a day really. If we were using Newcastle as a 'central hub', I imagine most would be able to get there by, let's say, 9am. I was looking at Brighton, but you're looking at that being at least five and a half hours so would be incredibly hard to achieve in a day.

I think some of your major trips (such as Carlisle) are further afield than some of your minor ones!
For the record, I think you need to be in employment in the industry to attend Bus & Coach Show.
Dan
19 Jan 2014, 8:59 pm #8

(19 Jan 2014, 8:51 pm)Adam Malarkey Just add to this idea rather than have Monthly Trips, why have 4 Major Trips Per Year and then if there is further interest, then schedule a few minor Day Trips in Between. As there are Various elements that you have to take into account also for example.

Lothian Open Doors Event
Weardale Open Day

Regarding the cost - we haven't got any prices yet! Depending on where we were going, it could be anything as cheap as £5 up to something as expensive as £20. I'll watch my e-mails like a hawk for the next few days and see what the quotes are like. If it's something out of this world, it's obvious we won't be able to do it.

Regarding work - that's why I chose a weekend date. If we're going to follow rallies around the UK, they could be on either a Saturday or Sunday. Means more people should be able to attend.

Regarding the time-span - I think most things can be done within a day really. If we were using Newcastle as a 'central hub', I imagine most would be able to get there by, let's say, 9am. I was looking at Brighton, but you're looking at that being at least five and a half hours so would be incredibly hard to achieve in a day.

I think some of your major trips (such as Carlisle) are further afield than some of your minor ones!
For the record, I think you need to be in employment in the industry to attend Bus & Coach Show.

Tom

19 Jan 2014, 9:01 pm #9
(19 Jan 2014, 8:59 pm)Dan Regarding the cost - we haven't got any prices yet! Depending on where we were going, it could be anything as cheap as £5 up to something as expensive as £20. I'll watch my e-mails like a hawk for the next few days and see what the quotes are like. If it's something out of this world, it's obvious we won't be able to do it.

Generally if I go to Brighton I normally stay in London for the week (only 1 hour away from Feltham including change at Clapham Junction). It's a nice place.
Tom
19 Jan 2014, 9:01 pm #9

(19 Jan 2014, 8:59 pm)Dan Regarding the cost - we haven't got any prices yet! Depending on where we were going, it could be anything as cheap as £5 up to something as expensive as £20. I'll watch my e-mails like a hawk for the next few days and see what the quotes are like. If it's something out of this world, it's obvious we won't be able to do it.

Generally if I go to Brighton I normally stay in London for the week (only 1 hour away from Feltham including change at Clapham Junction). It's a nice place.

Adrian

19 Jan 2014, 9:09 pm #10
We just need to remember that just because there may be an event every month, there's no obligation for someone to attend every single one. Just go to the ones that take your fancy, or that you can afford. Everyone's personal circumstances are different. Smile

Adrian
19 Jan 2014, 9:09 pm #10

We just need to remember that just because there may be an event every month, there's no obligation for someone to attend every single one. Just go to the ones that take your fancy, or that you can afford. Everyone's personal circumstances are different. Smile

Tom

19 Jan 2014, 9:11 pm #11
(19 Jan 2014, 9:09 pm)aureolin We just need to remember that just because there may be an event every month, there's no obligation for someone to attend every single one. Just go to the ones that take your fancy, or that you can afford. Everyone's personal circumstances are different. Smile

Not sure if I will attend this year, but possibly 2015/16, but I totally agree with that.
Edited 19 Jan 2014, 9:11 pm by Tom.
Tom
19 Jan 2014, 9:11 pm #11

(19 Jan 2014, 9:09 pm)aureolin We just need to remember that just because there may be an event every month, there's no obligation for someone to attend every single one. Just go to the ones that take your fancy, or that you can afford. Everyone's personal circumstances are different. Smile

Not sure if I will attend this year, but possibly 2015/16, but I totally agree with that.

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

19 Jan 2014, 9:16 pm #12
Stick me down for this, I am up for Dunfermline, sounds like a good day out, I would not be able to make every trip, the finances just wont allow it...

Places I would love to goto

Edinburgh
Glasgow
Yorkshire(Whitby, York, Leeds)
Lancashire(Blackpool, Preston
Liverpool/Manchester

If any trips like that came up and I could afford it, I would be more than up for it
MrFozz
19 Jan 2014, 9:16 pm #12

Stick me down for this, I am up for Dunfermline, sounds like a good day out, I would not be able to make every trip, the finances just wont allow it...

Edinburgh
Glasgow
Liverpool/Manchester

If any trips like that came up and I could afford it, I would be more than up for it

Malarkey

19 Jan 2014, 9:33 pm #13
Just had a thought for SVBM in August, if we hired a Coach from Kingsley's I think we should go up on Ex Lothian Dennis SPD 182 Y182 CFS, How great would that be. That's if it can make to Dunfermline and Back.

As for Cost, if it's as low as £5 for the Odd Trip then I'll Definitely go on the trips more often, I wouldn't mind going to Blackpool actually, haven't been since I was 8 Years Old or Something. Glasgow also as I have been up a few times with Family, Last Time I went to Glasgow was in 2007 and I did the Tour of Parkhead and bumped into a few Players on the way out which was Awesome.
Malarkey
19 Jan 2014, 9:33 pm #13

Just had a thought for SVBM in August, if we hired a Coach from Kingsley's I think we should go up on Ex Lothian Dennis SPD 182 Y182 CFS, How great would that be. That's if it can make to Dunfermline and Back.

As for Cost, if it's as low as £5 for the Odd Trip then I'll Definitely go on the trips more often, I wouldn't mind going to Blackpool actually, haven't been since I was 8 Years Old or Something. Glasgow also as I have been up a few times with Family, Last Time I went to Glasgow was in 2007 and I did the Tour of Parkhead and bumped into a few Players on the way out which was Awesome.

Andreos1

19 Jan 2014, 9:34 pm #14
Up for this in principle, but family and work commitments come first.
The most realistic chance of me tagging along, is if I happen to be working in a particular area at the time.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
19 Jan 2014, 9:34 pm #14

Up for this in principle, but family and work commitments come first.
The most realistic chance of me tagging along, is if I happen to be working in a particular area at the time.

Dan

Site Administrator

19 Jan 2014, 9:38 pm #15
(19 Jan 2014, 9:33 pm)Adam Malarkey Just had a thought for SVBM in August, if we hired a Coach from Kingsley's I think we should go up on Ex Lothian Dennis SPD 182 Y182 CFS, How great would that be. That's if it can make to Dunfermline and Back.

The thought of spending two hours on a Dart... Hahah!

If you can get a rough estimate for us when you're next at the depot, that would be great. Coach or bus.
Dan
19 Jan 2014, 9:38 pm #15

(19 Jan 2014, 9:33 pm)Adam Malarkey Just had a thought for SVBM in August, if we hired a Coach from Kingsley's I think we should go up on Ex Lothian Dennis SPD 182 Y182 CFS, How great would that be. That's if it can make to Dunfermline and Back.

The thought of spending two hours on a Dart... Hahah!

If you can get a rough estimate for us when you're next at the depot, that would be great. Coach or bus.

Andreos1

19 Jan 2014, 10:03 pm #16
(19 Jan 2014, 9:16 pm)fozzovmurton Stick me down for this, I am up for Dunfermline, sounds like a good day out, I would not be able to make every trip, the finances just wont allow it...

Edinburgh
Glasgow
Liverpool/Manchester

That Yorkshire trip could be done on the Coastliner service.
Some sort of round trip, with stop offs along the way in the towns and villages.
Opportunities for bus spotting or pint supping :p

Andreos1
19 Jan 2014, 10:03 pm #16

(19 Jan 2014, 9:16 pm)fozzovmurton Stick me down for this, I am up for Dunfermline, sounds like a good day out, I would not be able to make every trip, the finances just wont allow it...

Edinburgh
Glasgow
Liverpool/Manchester

That Yorkshire trip could be done on the Coastliner service.
Some sort of round trip, with stop offs along the way in the towns and villages.
Opportunities for bus spotting or pint supping :p

Malarkey

19 Jan 2014, 10:04 pm #17
(19 Jan 2014, 9:38 pm)Dan The thought of spending two hours on a Dart... Hahah!

I was going to up on Wednesday depending on the Weather - But think of the Bigger Picture Daniel, We'd going up on a Bus that played an Integral part in Lothians History, and we'd be providing it with a Return Home also. And i'm sure those in Edinburgh and Enthusiasts at SVBM would be Very Happy to see it back also. I'll look at the Poll at the top the Thread on Wednesday to see how people have voted and i'll use those Numbers for the Estimate, for what the Cost will be.
Malarkey
19 Jan 2014, 10:04 pm #17

(19 Jan 2014, 9:38 pm)Dan The thought of spending two hours on a Dart... Hahah!

I was going to up on Wednesday depending on the Weather - But think of the Bigger Picture Daniel, We'd going up on a Bus that played an Integral part in Lothians History, and we'd be providing it with a Return Home also. And i'm sure those in Edinburgh and Enthusiasts at SVBM would be Very Happy to see it back also. I'll look at the Poll at the top the Thread on Wednesday to see how people have voted and i'll use those Numbers for the Estimate, for what the Cost will be.

Andreos1

19 Jan 2014, 10:08 pm #18
(19 Jan 2014, 10:04 pm)Adam Malarkey I was going to up on Wednesday depending on the Weather - But think of the Bigger Picture Daniel, We'd going up on a Bus that played an Integral part in Lothians History, and we'd be providing it with a Return Home also. And i'm sure those in Edinburgh and Enthusiasts at SVBM would be Very Happy to see it back also. I'll look at the Poll at the top the Thread on Wednesday to see how people have voted and i'll use those Numbers for the Estimate, for what the Cost will be.

Sure people would pay extra to hire a Lothian President if the alternative was the dart!

Andreos1
19 Jan 2014, 10:08 pm #18

(19 Jan 2014, 10:04 pm)Adam Malarkey I was going to up on Wednesday depending on the Weather - But think of the Bigger Picture Daniel, We'd going up on a Bus that played an Integral part in Lothians History, and we'd be providing it with a Return Home also. And i'm sure those in Edinburgh and Enthusiasts at SVBM would be Very Happy to see it back also. I'll look at the Poll at the top the Thread on Wednesday to see how people have voted and i'll use those Numbers for the Estimate, for what the Cost will be.

Sure people would pay extra to hire a Lothian President if the alternative was the dart!

Dan

Site Administrator

19 Jan 2014, 10:10 pm #19

Remember, the poll result may not be representative of the actual figures. These trips aren't just for members of NEB.
Dan
19 Jan 2014, 10:10 pm #19

Remember, the poll result may not be representative of the actual figures. These trips aren't just for members of NEB.

Malarkey

19 Jan 2014, 10:29 pm #20
(19 Jan 2014, 10:08 pm)andreos1 Sure people would pay extra to hire a Lothian President if the alternative was the dart!

That is true, But I don't we'd need a President if there was only 15 of us going or something. I'll be happy if get to sit at the back in the Corner on the Drivers side, where I can actually fit my legs.
Malarkey
19 Jan 2014, 10:29 pm #20

(19 Jan 2014, 10:08 pm)andreos1 Sure people would pay extra to hire a Lothian President if the alternative was the dart!

That is true, But I don't we'd need a President if there was only 15 of us going or something. I'll be happy if get to sit at the back in the Corner on the Drivers side, where I can actually fit my legs.

Pages (7) 1 2 37 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average