Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Durham Bus Stn

Durham Bus Stn

Durham Bus Stn

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average

Pages (20) Previous 111 12 1320 Next
BusLoverMum

08 Feb 2019, 9:40 pm #221
(07 Feb 2019, 5:32 pm)TEN 6083 https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/1...k-it-down/

Plans to move Durham's bus station dropped - but the council still wants to knock it down

Sent from my iPhone XS using Tapatalk

Good and good. The current one is a right state and completely inadequate but the one planned looked like a glorified greenhouse.
BusLoverMum
08 Feb 2019, 9:40 pm #221

(07 Feb 2019, 5:32 pm)TEN 6083 https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/1...k-it-down/

Plans to move Durham's bus station dropped - but the council still wants to knock it down

Sent from my iPhone XS using Tapatalk

Good and good. The current one is a right state and completely inadequate but the one planned looked like a glorified greenhouse.

Jamie M

16 Dec 2019, 7:41 pm #222
(16 Dec 2019, 7:27 pm)streetdeckfan I wonder what change they will be making to the X21, I wouldn't be surprised if they went back to terminating at Bishop Bus Station as apparently they've been losing money since extending it. Although there was talks of extending it West Auckland to better complete with the Arriva 6 as most passenger who go to Tindale carry on to either West or Cockfield

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

I think there have been talks about extending it to every single know place on here.

I think extending it to West Auckland would be a good idea, however, it would decrease the likelihood of buses with identical seating being allocated. This, being such an important issue, makes me think it will revert in order that there is standardised seating designs.
Jamie M
16 Dec 2019, 7:41 pm #222

(16 Dec 2019, 7:27 pm)streetdeckfan I wonder what change they will be making to the X21, I wouldn't be surprised if they went back to terminating at Bishop Bus Station as apparently they've been losing money since extending it. Although there was talks of extending it West Auckland to better complete with the Arriva 6 as most passenger who go to Tindale carry on to either West or Cockfield

I think there have been talks about extending it to every single know place on here.

I think extending it to West Auckland would be a good idea, however, it would decrease the likelihood of buses with identical seating being allocated. This, being such an important issue, makes me think it will revert in order that there is standardised seating designs.

16 Dec 2019, 7:48 pm #223
(16 Dec 2019, 7:41 pm)Jamie M I think there have been talks about extending it to every single know place on here.

A while back, when management finally came down to look at why drivers were complaining about the route around Woodhouse, they were spotted driving around West Auckland.

If they decide to stop coming down to Tindale I would be disappointed as I'd have to go back to using Arriva, but I wouldn't be surprised due to the lack of other passengers!

streetdeckfan
16 Dec 2019, 7:48 pm #223

(16 Dec 2019, 7:41 pm)Jamie M I think there have been talks about extending it to every single know place on here.

A while back, when management finally came down to look at why drivers were complaining about the route around Woodhouse, they were spotted driving around West Auckland.

If they decide to stop coming down to Tindale I would be disappointed as I'd have to go back to using Arriva, but I wouldn't be surprised due to the lack of other passengers!

L469 YVK

16 Dec 2019, 8:20 pm #224
Is the 310 going to be re-routed to serve Hadrian Park? Will be very surprised if it does (at least during the day).
L469 YVK
16 Dec 2019, 8:20 pm #224

Is the 310 going to be re-routed to serve Hadrian Park? Will be very surprised if it does (at least during the day).

16 Dec 2019, 9:37 pm #225
Hopefully the M6 is being split back into 2 routes!
Arcticrossy92
16 Dec 2019, 9:37 pm #225

Hopefully the M6 is being split back into 2 routes!

16 Dec 2019, 9:40 pm #226
I'd love to have the X21 split back into the X21 and 18, the reliability has has gone way downhill because of the traffic in Durham

streetdeckfan
16 Dec 2019, 9:40 pm #226

I'd love to have the X21 split back into the X21 and 18, the reliability has has gone way downhill because of the traffic in Durham

Adrian

01 Jan 2020, 8:32 pm #227
(30 Dec 2019, 3:59 am)BeachBoy99 But Durham is a small city, and given the location of the bus station, I doubt there'll be a major change in size.

I went to college in Durham and was there literally every day between Sep 2016 and Jun 2018 – can't remember a single time having to around the station 3 or 4 times before we reached a stand. It's not that bad?

People walk in front of all the stands, not just L, and some just cross between the stands to get to the bus before everyone else because they're ignorant tossers.

Personally, I think the council should have bigger fish to fry than the state of the bus station. I mean, have you been to the bus station in Peterlee? There are currently 3 or 4 windows that were smashed in weeks ago. Council can't be arsed to fix them and for good reason: because the charvas are just going to smash them yet again on their Friday night ASBO rounds.

Durham Bus Station won't be much different in size, when it is finally rebuilt. There was of course the failed plans, which would have seen the North Road roundabout ripped out, and the new bus sited where Metcalfe House is. That wouldn't have been much bigger than the current.

[Image: CRR_NEC_091016_DurhamBus_2.jpg]

Durham Bus Station does have a problem with it being misused by operators (buses being dumped on stands), but its certainly not as bad as suggested. I've used it a bit longer (most weekdays since 2006) and I cannot recall seeing a bus have to circle it more than once.

Stanley is having similar issues with ASB to what Peterlee is having. I noticed in the paper that Hetton was even worse. The local authorities, police and operators really need to get their heads together, and come up with some multi-agency approach to it. It does nothing to encourage bus use, when passengers are having to wait in that environment.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
01 Jan 2020, 8:32 pm #227

(30 Dec 2019, 3:59 am)BeachBoy99 But Durham is a small city, and given the location of the bus station, I doubt there'll be a major change in size.

I went to college in Durham and was there literally every day between Sep 2016 and Jun 2018 – can't remember a single time having to around the station 3 or 4 times before we reached a stand. It's not that bad?

People walk in front of all the stands, not just L, and some just cross between the stands to get to the bus before everyone else because they're ignorant tossers.

Personally, I think the council should have bigger fish to fry than the state of the bus station. I mean, have you been to the bus station in Peterlee? There are currently 3 or 4 windows that were smashed in weeks ago. Council can't be arsed to fix them and for good reason: because the charvas are just going to smash them yet again on their Friday night ASBO rounds.

Durham Bus Station won't be much different in size, when it is finally rebuilt. There was of course the failed plans, which would have seen the North Road roundabout ripped out, and the new bus sited where Metcalfe House is. That wouldn't have been much bigger than the current.

Durham Bus Station does have a problem with it being misused by operators (buses being dumped on stands), but its certainly not as bad as suggested. I've used it a bit longer (most weekdays since 2006) and I cannot recall seeing a bus have to circle it more than once.

Stanley is having similar issues with ASB to what Peterlee is having. I noticed in the paper that Hetton was even worse. The local authorities, police and operators really need to get their heads together, and come up with some multi-agency approach to it. It does nothing to encourage bus use, when passengers are having to wait in that environment.

cbma06

01 Jan 2020, 9:01 pm #228
(01 Jan 2020, 8:32 pm)Adrian The Explorer ticket was never intended to be a commuter ticket, but it was also introduced at a time where monopolies didn't exist as they do now. Something like Smartzone would be ideal for County Durham, as long as it included access into Newcastle. Similar to how the Durham District does with the X12, and the Durham County does for journeys starting or ending inside County Durham.

I thought the plan was ripping out the roundabout at top of north road and built a new bus station?, so are there just going to refurbish tartan up the one that’s there?.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbma06
01 Jan 2020, 9:01 pm #228

(01 Jan 2020, 8:32 pm)Adrian The Explorer ticket was never intended to be a commuter ticket, but it was also introduced at a time where monopolies didn't exist as they do now. Something like Smartzone would be ideal for County Durham, as long as it included access into Newcastle. Similar to how the Durham District does with the X12, and the Durham County does for journeys starting or ending inside County Durham.

I thought the plan was ripping out the roundabout at top of north road and built a new bus station?, so are there just going to refurbish tartan up the one that’s there?.

Adrian

01 Jan 2020, 9:42 pm #229
(01 Jan 2020, 9:01 pm)cbma06 I thought the plan was ripping out the roundabout at top of north road and built a new bus station?, so are there just going to refurbish tartan up the one that’s there?.

The one pictured is the previous (now scrapped design) with the roundabout missing. From the consultation they were running last year, it sounds like the new design will be to use the existing site, but demolish the shops and offices along with the building. So they'd gain some space from doing that.

Adrian
01 Jan 2020, 9:42 pm #229

(01 Jan 2020, 9:01 pm)cbma06 I thought the plan was ripping out the roundabout at top of north road and built a new bus station?, so are there just going to refurbish tartan up the one that’s there?.

The one pictured is the previous (now scrapped design) with the roundabout missing. From the consultation they were running last year, it sounds like the new design will be to use the existing site, but demolish the shops and offices along with the building. So they'd gain some space from doing that.

01 Jan 2020, 10:04 pm #230
The issue with Durham Bus Station isn't just the size, it's the location.
It's a fair trek to anything that's worth visiting, you've got to cross a bridge and walk up a hill to get to the few shops that are left in the city centre.
I know when I need to go shopping in Durham, I change and catch one of the Indigo services as it's then only a short walk to the shops from Millennium Place

I personally think they would be better off building a new larger bus station on the outskirts of Durham (perhaps near Sniperley P&R), then having some services that extend into the centre of Durham, stopping at Milburngate, but with express services bypassing it.
streetdeckfan
01 Jan 2020, 10:04 pm #230

The issue with Durham Bus Station isn't just the size, it's the location.
It's a fair trek to anything that's worth visiting, you've got to cross a bridge and walk up a hill to get to the few shops that are left in the city centre.
I know when I need to go shopping in Durham, I change and catch one of the Indigo services as it's then only a short walk to the shops from Millennium Place

I personally think they would be better off building a new larger bus station on the outskirts of Durham (perhaps near Sniperley P&R), then having some services that extend into the centre of Durham, stopping at Milburngate, but with express services bypassing it.

BusLoverMum

01 Jan 2020, 10:52 pm #231

One like Edinburgh bus station would be quite lovely Big Grin
BusLoverMum
01 Jan 2020, 10:52 pm #231

One like Edinburgh bus station would be quite lovely Big Grin

BusLoverMum

01 Jan 2020, 11:03 pm #232
(01 Jan 2020, 10:04 pm)streetdeckfan The issue with Durham Bus Station isn't just the size, it's the location.

I would suggest that would inconvenience locals, but we don't even get a stand in the station, anyhow. 

Nothing is going to take through services right into the centre, simply because of the geography of the city. The peninsula pretty  much dictates that no sort of formal bus station can be built anywhere more convenient. More bus stops on Milburngate would add to the nightmare for anyone who already needs to cross the city centre. We've been doing a lot of DIY and both screw fix and tooldtation are on the other side of town for us. There's already been enough instances of bugrit, not going to fight with that traffic, will have to wait a few days.
BusLoverMum
01 Jan 2020, 11:03 pm #232

(01 Jan 2020, 10:04 pm)streetdeckfan The issue with Durham Bus Station isn't just the size, it's the location.

I would suggest that would inconvenience locals, but we don't even get a stand in the station, anyhow. 

Nothing is going to take through services right into the centre, simply because of the geography of the city. The peninsula pretty  much dictates that no sort of formal bus station can be built anywhere more convenient. More bus stops on Milburngate would add to the nightmare for anyone who already needs to cross the city centre. We've been doing a lot of DIY and both screw fix and tooldtation are on the other side of town for us. There's already been enough instances of bugrit, not going to fight with that traffic, will have to wait a few days.

Adrian

01 Jan 2020, 11:10 pm #233

Current bus station is too far from the shops, so you want to move it to Sniperley? It'll be even further from the shops then, and in the middle of nowhere! 

It literally takes 5 minutes to walk from the bus station to the shops. There'll be very few people who cannot manage that journey.

Adrian
01 Jan 2020, 11:10 pm #233

Current bus station is too far from the shops, so you want to move it to Sniperley? It'll be even further from the shops then, and in the middle of nowhere! 

It literally takes 5 minutes to walk from the bus station to the shops. There'll be very few people who cannot manage that journey.

BusLoverMum

01 Jan 2020, 11:15 pm #234
(01 Jan 2020, 11:10 pm)Adrian Current bus station is too far from the shops, so you want to move it to Sniperley? It'll be even further from the shops then, and in the middle of nowhere! 

I haven't been there on a Friday for a while but I used to see a guy, quite severely afflicted with parkinsons, by the look of him, who would get off the bus at whatever time, shuffle across fram bridge around tennish and make it to the pub in the marketplace for opening, every Friday.  I think he came off a 16 because he got on one with us on a Sunday, once. Poor guy was so stiff he couldn't even sit down.
BusLoverMum
01 Jan 2020, 11:15 pm #234

(01 Jan 2020, 11:10 pm)Adrian Current bus station is too far from the shops, so you want to move it to Sniperley? It'll be even further from the shops then, and in the middle of nowhere! 

I haven't been there on a Friday for a while but I used to see a guy, quite severely afflicted with parkinsons, by the look of him, who would get off the bus at whatever time, shuffle across fram bridge around tennish and make it to the pub in the marketplace for opening, every Friday.  I think he came off a 16 because he got on one with us on a Sunday, once. Poor guy was so stiff he couldn't even sit down.

01 Jan 2020, 11:16 pm #235
(01 Jan 2020, 11:03 pm)BusLoverMum I would suggest that would inconvenience locals, but we don't even get a stand in the station, anyhow. 

Peninsula? Surely you mean 'a tight coil of the River Wear'!

I think Durham is the most inconvenient city I've been to,

I do a lot of DIY as well, and we refuse to drive to Toolstation from Bishop because we get stuck in all the traffic, I just get sent there on the bus because I have my pass! Luckily we have a B&Q and Screwfix in Bishop, all we need is a Toolstation and I'll have absolutely no reason to go to Durham again

Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying. 
I'd be very interested in looking at the statistics to see how many people who visit Durham Bus Station actually leave the station. A lot of people I see get off one bus and straight on to another, especially Arriva services
streetdeckfan
01 Jan 2020, 11:16 pm #235

(01 Jan 2020, 11:03 pm)BusLoverMum I would suggest that would inconvenience locals, but we don't even get a stand in the station, anyhow. 

Peninsula? Surely you mean 'a tight coil of the River Wear'!

I do a lot of DIY as well, and we refuse to drive to Toolstation from Bishop because we get stuck in all the traffic, I just get sent there on the bus because I have my pass! Luckily we have a B&Q and Screwfix in Bishop, all we need is a Toolstation and I'll have absolutely no reason to go to Durham again

I'd be very interested in looking at the statistics to see how many people who visit Durham Bus Station actually leave the station. A lot of people I see get off one bus and straight on to another, especially Arriva services

BusLoverMum

01 Jan 2020, 11:18 pm #236
(01 Jan 2020, 11:16 pm)streetdeckfan Peninsula? Surely you mean 'a tight coil of the River Wear'!

That sticky outy bit of land within the coil is referred to as the peninsula.
BusLoverMum
01 Jan 2020, 11:18 pm #236

(01 Jan 2020, 11:16 pm)streetdeckfan Peninsula? Surely you mean 'a tight coil of the River Wear'!

That sticky outy bit of land within the coil is referred to as the peninsula.

Adrian

14 Jan 2020, 2:34 pm #237
Plans unveiled for new and improved Durham Bus Station

Residents are being encouraged to express their views on plans to replace a dated city centre bus station with a more modern and welcoming facility.

Designs for the new and improved Durham Bus Station have been revealed as part of a public consultation which starts on Friday 17 January and runs until 10pm on Sunday 9 February.

Durham County Council is keen to hear what residents and commuters think of the plans, which will see the existing North Road station demolished and replaced with a modern and spacious transport hub.

Two drop-in sessions will be held in the Church Hall at North Road Methodist Church on Friday 17 January from 1pm to 6.30pm and Saturday 18 January from 10am to 2pm.

Attendees will have a chance to view the plans, which include a pedestrian concourse with lots of natural light and increased seating and easy to access route information.

Toilets and baby changing facilities would also be enhanced and a two-storey mezzanine area with office space introduced.

Visibility would also be improved at the exit of the bus station for the safety of pedestrians and bus drivers leaving the site.

Many of the design features are in response to feedback received from a consultation in 2019, when the council asked the public what they felt should be done to improve the facility.

One of the main priorities identified during the consultation was improved safety and reduced fear of crime. To address this, CCTV would be installed to monitor the entire concourse, while the introduction of a two-storey mezzanine overlooking the passenger waiting area would increase natural surveillance.

Along with the drop-in sessions, questionnaires will be available online from Friday and council officers will be visiting the bus station to talk to passengers about the plans and complete surveys during the consultation period.

Cllr Carl Marshall, Durham County Council’s Cabinet member for economic regeneration at Durham County Council, said: “We have listened to what residents told in previous consultations and think the new plans will appeal to residents and commuters alike. However, we are keen to find out what the public think.

“Ultimately, our aim is to create a modern and welcoming transport hub that fits the historic nature of Durham City and shows we are very much open for business. We want to provide residents with a safe and attractive space, while ensuring visitors to the city get the best first impression possible.

“High quality transport infrastructure is vital for a prosperous economy and a key factor for businesses considering investing in an area. Our plans for Durham Bus Station are part of a wider vision to improve transport links and enhance towns and villages across the county.”

Once the consultation closes, comments will be passed onto the designers and the design will be reviewed ahead of a final planning application being submitted.

If planning permission is approved, demolition of the existing bus station is expected to begin in late summer or early autumn before construction begins on the new facility in early 2021. During this period, all bus services will be moved on-street with stop locations and timetables advertised in advance.

It is anticipated the new bus station would be completed and open to the public in late 2021.

To take part in the consultation online, visit www.durham.gov.uk/consultation from Friday 17 January and comment by 10pmon Sunday 9 February.

New plans for Durham Bus station: https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/1...orth-road/

[Image: a69fde4e6ae50a1f3e660133dc17f40e.jpg][Image: 63a1c5c1cbfaabaa943168f3a1a620e1.jpg]

Adrian
14 Jan 2020, 2:34 pm #237

Plans unveiled for new and improved Durham Bus Station

Residents are being encouraged to express their views on plans to replace a dated city centre bus station with a more modern and welcoming facility.

Designs for the new and improved Durham Bus Station have been revealed as part of a public consultation which starts on Friday 17 January and runs until 10pm on Sunday 9 February.

Durham County Council is keen to hear what residents and commuters think of the plans, which will see the existing North Road station demolished and replaced with a modern and spacious transport hub.

Two drop-in sessions will be held in the Church Hall at North Road Methodist Church on Friday 17 January from 1pm to 6.30pm and Saturday 18 January from 10am to 2pm.

Attendees will have a chance to view the plans, which include a pedestrian concourse with lots of natural light and increased seating and easy to access route information.

Toilets and baby changing facilities would also be enhanced and a two-storey mezzanine area with office space introduced.

Visibility would also be improved at the exit of the bus station for the safety of pedestrians and bus drivers leaving the site.

Many of the design features are in response to feedback received from a consultation in 2019, when the council asked the public what they felt should be done to improve the facility.

One of the main priorities identified during the consultation was improved safety and reduced fear of crime. To address this, CCTV would be installed to monitor the entire concourse, while the introduction of a two-storey mezzanine overlooking the passenger waiting area would increase natural surveillance.

Along with the drop-in sessions, questionnaires will be available online from Friday and council officers will be visiting the bus station to talk to passengers about the plans and complete surveys during the consultation period.

Cllr Carl Marshall, Durham County Council’s Cabinet member for economic regeneration at Durham County Council, said: “We have listened to what residents told in previous consultations and think the new plans will appeal to residents and commuters alike. However, we are keen to find out what the public think.

“Ultimately, our aim is to create a modern and welcoming transport hub that fits the historic nature of Durham City and shows we are very much open for business. We want to provide residents with a safe and attractive space, while ensuring visitors to the city get the best first impression possible.

“High quality transport infrastructure is vital for a prosperous economy and a key factor for businesses considering investing in an area. Our plans for Durham Bus Station are part of a wider vision to improve transport links and enhance towns and villages across the county.”

Once the consultation closes, comments will be passed onto the designers and the design will be reviewed ahead of a final planning application being submitted.

If planning permission is approved, demolition of the existing bus station is expected to begin in late summer or early autumn before construction begins on the new facility in early 2021. During this period, all bus services will be moved on-street with stop locations and timetables advertised in advance.

It is anticipated the new bus station would be completed and open to the public in late 2021.

To take part in the consultation online, visit www.durham.gov.uk/consultation from Friday 17 January and comment by 10pmon Sunday 9 February.

New plans for Durham Bus station: https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/1...orth-road/

[Image: a69fde4e6ae50a1f3e660133dc17f40e.jpg][Image: 63a1c5c1cbfaabaa943168f3a1a620e1.jpg]

BusLoverMum

14 Jan 2020, 2:48 pm #238
(14 Jan 2020, 2:34 pm)Adrian New plans for Durham Bus station: https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/1...orth-road/

I would want a mezzanine to be screened off or else people would probably chuck stuff off it.
BusLoverMum
14 Jan 2020, 2:48 pm #238

(14 Jan 2020, 2:34 pm)Adrian New plans for Durham Bus station: https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/1...orth-road/

I would want a mezzanine to be screened off or else people would probably chuck stuff off it.

14 Jan 2020, 4:14 pm #239
(14 Jan 2020, 2:48 pm)BusLoverMum I would want a mezzanine to be screened off or else people would probably chuck stuff off it.
And by probably you obviously mean definitely!
I'd also imagine for the youths and the drunks it would be a perfect place to spit over!

streetdeckfan
14 Jan 2020, 4:14 pm #239

(14 Jan 2020, 2:48 pm)BusLoverMum I would want a mezzanine to be screened off or else people would probably chuck stuff off it.
And by probably you obviously mean definitely!
I'd also imagine for the youths and the drunks it would be a perfect place to spit over!

2bagstew

14 Jan 2020, 6:18 pm #240

I can seem to find any no consultation on DCC website, unless something drastic has happened planning has already been approved to start Summer 2020 but it to take up to 18 months depending on work needed.
All buses will on North Road with extra stands added for the duration.

Sent from my iPhone 8+ using Tapatalk
2bagstew
14 Jan 2020, 6:18 pm #240

I can seem to find any no consultation on DCC website, unless something drastic has happened planning has already been approved to start Summer 2020 but it to take up to 18 months depending on work needed.
All buses will on North Road with extra stands added for the duration.

Sent from my iPhone 8+ using Tapatalk

Pages (20) Previous 111 12 1320 Next

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average