Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Durham Bus Stn

Durham Bus Stn

Durham Bus Stn

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average

Pages (20) Previous 112 13 1420 Next
Adrian

14 Jan 2020, 6:20 pm #241
(14 Jan 2020, 6:18 pm)2bagstew I can seem to find any no consultation on DCC website, unless something drastic has happened planning has already been approved to start Summer 2020 but it to take up to 18 months depending on work needed.
All buses will on North Road with extra stands added for the duration.

Sent from my iPhone 8+ using Tapatalk

"To take part in the consultation online, visit www.durham.gov.uk/consultation from Friday 17 January and comment by 10pmon Sunday 9 February."

Smile I thought it was missing at first too!

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
14 Jan 2020, 6:20 pm #241

(14 Jan 2020, 6:18 pm)2bagstew I can seem to find any no consultation on DCC website, unless something drastic has happened planning has already been approved to start Summer 2020 but it to take up to 18 months depending on work needed.
All buses will on North Road with extra stands added for the duration.

"To take part in the consultation online, visit www.durham.gov.uk/consultation from Friday 17 January and comment by 10pmon Sunday 9 February."

2bagstew

14 Jan 2020, 6:22 pm #242
(14 Jan 2020, 6:20 pm)Adrian "To take part in the consultation online, visit www.durham.gov.uk/consultation from Friday 17 January and comment by 10pmon Sunday 9 February."

Cheers thanks.

2bagstew
14 Jan 2020, 6:22 pm #242

(14 Jan 2020, 6:20 pm)Adrian "To take part in the consultation online, visit www.durham.gov.uk/consultation from Friday 17 January and comment by 10pmon Sunday 9 February."

Cheers thanks.

Adrian

14 Jan 2020, 6:29 pm #243
(14 Jan 2020, 2:48 pm)BusLoverMum I would want a mezzanine to be screened off or else people would probably chuck stuff off it.

The issue is the lack of/ineffective security. They say it'll allow better surveillance or whatever, but not when the security guards are constantly outside having a smoke.

Adrian
14 Jan 2020, 6:29 pm #243

(14 Jan 2020, 2:48 pm)BusLoverMum I would want a mezzanine to be screened off or else people would probably chuck stuff off it.

The issue is the lack of/ineffective security. They say it'll allow better surveillance or whatever, but not when the security guards are constantly outside having a smoke.

14 Jan 2020, 6:36 pm #244
(14 Jan 2020, 6:29 pm)Adrian The issue is the lack of/ineffective security. They say it'll allow better surveillance or whatever, but not when the security guards are constantly outside having a smoke.

The security at Durham is so bad it's actually hilarious. The other week I was in there and two drunks were fighting. The security guard was just standing watching while some passengers were trying to break it up!
Like you say, they're always outside smoking, directly underneath a no smoking sign!

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
streetdeckfan
14 Jan 2020, 6:36 pm #244

(14 Jan 2020, 6:29 pm)Adrian The issue is the lack of/ineffective security. They say it'll allow better surveillance or whatever, but not when the security guards are constantly outside having a smoke.

The security at Durham is so bad it's actually hilarious. The other week I was in there and two drunks were fighting. The security guard was just standing watching while some passengers were trying to break it up!
Like you say, they're always outside smoking, directly underneath a no smoking sign!

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

14 Jan 2020, 6:42 pm #245
From an actual driver's point of view, will this be any different in terms of capacity or will it be the exact same mess of a layout when it comes to driving it with Arriva dumping buses on stands that aren't there's? I'm all for a nice new bus station for passengers, but considering how well executed South Shields is in terms of bus capacity I'm disappointed they seem to be using the same space.
deanmachine
14 Jan 2020, 6:42 pm #245

From an actual driver's point of view, will this be any different in terms of capacity or will it be the exact same mess of a layout when it comes to driving it with Arriva dumping buses on stands that aren't there's? I'm all for a nice new bus station for passengers, but considering how well executed South Shields is in terms of bus capacity I'm disappointed they seem to be using the same space.

14 Jan 2020, 7:18 pm #246
(14 Jan 2020, 6:42 pm)deanmachine From an actual driver's point of view, will this be any different in terms of capacity or will it be the exact same mess of a layout when it comes to driving it with Arriva dumping buses on stands that aren't there's? I'm all for a nice new bus station for passengers, but considering how well executed South Shields is in terms of bus capacity I'm disappointed they seem to be using the same space.

Knowing Durham Council, I doubt anything will get better!
My guess it'll just be a rebuild of what's already there with the layout being the same. There's not really much they can do within that space to make it a better layout!
streetdeckfan
14 Jan 2020, 7:18 pm #246

(14 Jan 2020, 6:42 pm)deanmachine From an actual driver's point of view, will this be any different in terms of capacity or will it be the exact same mess of a layout when it comes to driving it with Arriva dumping buses on stands that aren't there's? I'm all for a nice new bus station for passengers, but considering how well executed South Shields is in terms of bus capacity I'm disappointed they seem to be using the same space.

Knowing Durham Council, I doubt anything will get better!
My guess it'll just be a rebuild of what's already there with the layout being the same. There's not really much they can do within that space to make it a better layout!

Adrian

14 Jan 2020, 7:44 pm #247

I haven't seen the plans in detail, so unsure, but I'm not sure how they'd do it on the same footprint.

Adrian
14 Jan 2020, 7:44 pm #247

I haven't seen the plans in detail, so unsure, but I'm not sure how they'd do it on the same footprint.

BusLoverMum

14 Jan 2020, 8:22 pm #248
They can't be putting all buses on North Road. It'd be lethal and the delays would be huge. I can imagine through services like the 64 and X21 picking up and dropping off on Millburngate Bridge or Wharton Park and missing that loop out entirely.
BusLoverMum
14 Jan 2020, 8:22 pm #248

They can't be putting all buses on North Road. It'd be lethal and the delays would be huge. I can imagine through services like the 64 and X21 picking up and dropping off on Millburngate Bridge or Wharton Park and missing that loop out entirely.

cbma06

14 Jan 2020, 8:48 pm #249
[Image: 1adcf104d7e765f71f169a7304788ffc.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbma06
14 Jan 2020, 8:48 pm #249

[Image: 1adcf104d7e765f71f169a7304788ffc.jpg]

Ds1197

14 Jan 2020, 9:04 pm #250
(14 Jan 2020, 8:48 pm)cbma06 [Image: 1adcf104d7e765f71f169a7304788ffc.jpg]

That looks a lot like South Shields interchange
Ds1197
14 Jan 2020, 9:04 pm #250

(14 Jan 2020, 8:48 pm)cbma06 [Image: 1adcf104d7e765f71f169a7304788ffc.jpg]

That looks a lot like South Shields interchange

2bagstew

15 Jan 2020, 9:17 am #251
(14 Jan 2020, 7:44 pm)Adrian I haven't seen the plans in detail, so unsure, but I'm not sure how they'd do it on the same footprint.

I have seen a plan if it’s the same plan that’s in the consultation then there will be the same No of stands as before.
They should move some of the 10 minute services to outside on North Road.

2bagstew
15 Jan 2020, 9:17 am #251

(14 Jan 2020, 7:44 pm)Adrian I haven't seen the plans in detail, so unsure, but I'm not sure how they'd do it on the same footprint.

I have seen a plan if it’s the same plan that’s in the consultation then there will be the same No of stands as before.

15 Jan 2020, 12:15 pm #252
(15 Jan 2020, 9:17 am)2bagstew I have seen a plan if it’s the same plan that’s in the consultation then there will be the same No of stands as before.

The number of stands isn't necessarily the issue, it's the fact that Arriva drivers just abandon their buses in the stand so other services have to use the wrong stands. It's the same with North Road, you often see buses just parked there which makes it quite dangerous to cross the road after I've been to Cooplands!
streetdeckfan
15 Jan 2020, 12:15 pm #252

(15 Jan 2020, 9:17 am)2bagstew I have seen a plan if it’s the same plan that’s in the consultation then there will be the same No of stands as before.

The number of stands isn't necessarily the issue, it's the fact that Arriva drivers just abandon their buses in the stand so other services have to use the wrong stands. It's the same with North Road, you often see buses just parked there which makes it quite dangerous to cross the road after I've been to Cooplands!

Jimmi

15 Jan 2020, 12:42 pm #253
(15 Jan 2020, 12:15 pm)streetdeckfan The number of stands isn't necessarily the issue, it's the fact that Arriva drivers just abandon their buses in the stand so other services have to use the wrong stands. It's the same with North Road, you often see buses just parked there which makes it quite dangerous to cross the road after I've been to Cooplands!
It's a number of issues really, that being one of them (not just Arriva I might add, seen 50/50A pull onto stand more than 10 minutes before departure time causing issues with stand allocations), others being: late running buses and stand clashes, currently stand K has points where the 7, X12 & X21 are all timed to be on that stand at the same time and you can imagine the chaos that creates especially when two of the three can't really layover due to being through services.

One thing I would suggest with the design is to make it so it's not really possible to smoke, the entrance looks like a scally version of Stars in their Eyes at times, not a positive experience entering it and waiting there at night is not particularly nice either with the sort that hang around it.
Jimmi
15 Jan 2020, 12:42 pm #253

(15 Jan 2020, 12:15 pm)streetdeckfan The number of stands isn't necessarily the issue, it's the fact that Arriva drivers just abandon their buses in the stand so other services have to use the wrong stands. It's the same with North Road, you often see buses just parked there which makes it quite dangerous to cross the road after I've been to Cooplands!
It's a number of issues really, that being one of them (not just Arriva I might add, seen 50/50A pull onto stand more than 10 minutes before departure time causing issues with stand allocations), others being: late running buses and stand clashes, currently stand K has points where the 7, X12 & X21 are all timed to be on that stand at the same time and you can imagine the chaos that creates especially when two of the three can't really layover due to being through services.

One thing I would suggest with the design is to make it so it's not really possible to smoke, the entrance looks like a scally version of Stars in their Eyes at times, not a positive experience entering it and waiting there at night is not particularly nice either with the sort that hang around it.

2bagstew

15 Jan 2020, 1:01 pm #254
(15 Jan 2020, 12:42 pm)Jimmi It's a number of issues really, that being one of them (not just Arriva I might add, seen 50/50A pull onto stand more than 10 minutes before departure time causing issues with stand allocations), others being: late running buses and stand clashes, currently stand K has points where the 7, X12 & X21 are all timed to be on that stand at the same time and you can imagine the chaos that creates especially when two of the three can't really layover due to being through services.

I’ve have several promises from Arriva that they will not leave bus on stands that are not due to leave and park then up at back of the bus station.
They always start to do this but never lasts.

2bagstew
15 Jan 2020, 1:01 pm #254

(15 Jan 2020, 12:42 pm)Jimmi It's a number of issues really, that being one of them (not just Arriva I might add, seen 50/50A pull onto stand more than 10 minutes before departure time causing issues with stand allocations), others being: late running buses and stand clashes, currently stand K has points where the 7, X12 & X21 are all timed to be on that stand at the same time and you can imagine the chaos that creates especially when two of the three can't really layover due to being through services.

I’ve have several promises from Arriva that they will not leave bus on stands that are not due to leave and park then up at back of the bus station.
They always start to do this but never lasts.

15 Jan 2020, 1:03 pm #255

Arriva seem to do it with a lot more services though, that's why they get singled out. It got a lot worse a couple months back when they moved the services around, and who thought it would be a good idea to have north and southbound X21 services right next to each other at near enough the same time (and more often than not using the wrong stands)
I've lost count of the amount of times I've been in a rush and got the wrong one!

What they need to do is get some security guards that aren't best friends with the lowlifes that hang around the station so they don't stand at the door and smoke with them!
streetdeckfan
15 Jan 2020, 1:03 pm #255

Arriva seem to do it with a lot more services though, that's why they get singled out. It got a lot worse a couple months back when they moved the services around, and who thought it would be a good idea to have north and southbound X21 services right next to each other at near enough the same time (and more often than not using the wrong stands)
I've lost count of the amount of times I've been in a rush and got the wrong one!

What they need to do is get some security guards that aren't best friends with the lowlifes that hang around the station so they don't stand at the door and smoke with them!

Charles41

15 Jan 2020, 8:02 pm #256
I hope they have better toilet facilities for a start. I visited South Shields interchange for the first time at the weekend and was surprised at the lack of toilets.

A travel / tourist information shop would be a good idea for Durham bus station. They used to have a well stocked travel shop at the bus station entrance. It is now a cafe.

Durham bus station needs to be a showpiece for the city given it's reliance on visitors and tourists.

Charles
Charles41
15 Jan 2020, 8:02 pm #256

I hope they have better toilet facilities for a start. I visited South Shields interchange for the first time at the weekend and was surprised at the lack of toilets.

A travel / tourist information shop would be a good idea for Durham bus station. They used to have a well stocked travel shop at the bus station entrance. It is now a cafe.

Durham bus station needs to be a showpiece for the city given it's reliance on visitors and tourists.

Charles

BusLoverMum

16 Jan 2020, 9:32 am #257
Just to illustrate the stand dumping thing
43 in stand E. An unattended 22 is occupying D
X46 on G
49 on H.
6 in K
BusLoverMum
16 Jan 2020, 9:32 am #257

Just to illustrate the stand dumping thing
X46 on G
49 on H.
6 in K

16 Jan 2020, 1:52 pm #258
(16 Jan 2020, 9:32 am)BusLoverMum Just to illustrate the stand dumping thing
X46 on G
49 on H.
6 in K

Arriva have their training coach in now causing havoc too. All fun and games.
deanmachine
16 Jan 2020, 1:52 pm #258

(16 Jan 2020, 9:32 am)BusLoverMum Just to illustrate the stand dumping thing
X46 on G
49 on H.
6 in K

Arriva have their training coach in now causing havoc too. All fun and games.

16 Jan 2020, 1:53 pm #259
(16 Jan 2020, 1:52 pm)deanmachine Arriva have their training coach in now causing havoc too. All fun and games.

Is that the training decker I've been seen driving around or another one?
streetdeckfan
16 Jan 2020, 1:53 pm #259

(16 Jan 2020, 1:52 pm)deanmachine Arriva have their training coach in now causing havoc too. All fun and games.

Is that the training decker I've been seen driving around or another one?

16 Jan 2020, 2:52 pm #260
(16 Jan 2020, 1:53 pm)streetdeckfan Is that the training decker I've been seen driving around or another one?

The old Plaxton Coach, don’t know it’s fleet number or where it’s based.
deanmachine
16 Jan 2020, 2:52 pm #260

(16 Jan 2020, 1:53 pm)streetdeckfan Is that the training decker I've been seen driving around or another one?

The old Plaxton Coach, don’t know it’s fleet number or where it’s based.

Pages (20) Previous 112 13 1420 Next

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average