Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Durham Bus Stn

Durham Bus Stn

Durham Bus Stn

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average

Pages (20): Previous 114 15 1620 Next
Adrian

04 Feb 2021, 8:23 pm #281
(04 Feb 2021, 5:54 pm)Michael From Monday 15 February, Durham Bus Station will be closed to allow demolition and redevelopment work to begin.

Whilst the bus station is closed, a range of new bus stops will be introduced on North Road and at Millburngate.

https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/closure-du...5-february

That'll be chaos if they're expecting Arriva, GNE and the Park and Ride to share street stops around North Road and Millburngate. Especially when Arriva start dumping buses at the stops. 

There's not enough space for it and its a pedestrian zone, so there's too much risk of people stepping out into the road.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
04 Feb 2021, 8:23 pm #281

(04 Feb 2021, 5:54 pm)Michael From Monday 15 February, Durham Bus Station will be closed to allow demolition and redevelopment work to begin.

Whilst the bus station is closed, a range of new bus stops will be introduced on North Road and at Millburngate.

https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/closure-du...5-february

That'll be chaos if they're expecting Arriva, GNE and the Park and Ride to share street stops around North Road and Millburngate. Especially when Arriva start dumping buses at the stops. 

There's not enough space for it and its a pedestrian zone, so there's too much risk of people stepping out into the road.

Jimmi

04 Feb 2021, 8:42 pm #282
Arriva Durham stand allocations

6 - F
7 - G
22/24 - C
43/48/X46 - D
49/49A - E
56/57/58 - L
61/62/64 to Arnison - B
64 to Sherburn - A
X12 to Newcastle - G
X12 to Boro - L
Jimmi
04 Feb 2021, 8:42 pm #282

Arriva Durham stand allocations

6 - F
7 - G
22/24 - C
43/48/X46 - D
49/49A - E
56/57/58 - L
61/62/64 to Arnison - B
64 to Sherburn - A
X12 to Newcastle - G
X12 to Boro - L

Michael

05 Feb 2021, 11:10 am #283
(04 Feb 2021, 8:42 pm)Jimmi Arriva Durham stand allocations

6 - F
7 - G
22/24 - C
43/48 - D
49/49A - E
56/57/58 - L
61/62/64 to Arnison - B
64 to Sherburn - A
X12 to Newcastle - G
X12 to Boro - L

Thanks Jimmi

Full list here: All what is missing is the Park and Ride

Stand A
Service 64 to Sherburn

Stand B
X-lines X20 to Langley Park
Service 59 to Arnison Centre
Service 61/62/64 to Arnison

Stand C
Service 22/24

Stand D
Service 43/48
X46

Stand E
49/49A - E

Stand F
Service 6

Stand G
X-lines X21 to Bishop Auckland
Service 7
X12 to Newcastle

Stand H
Angel 21 to Newcastle
X-lines X21 to Newcastle
Service 50 to South Shields

Stand J
indiGo 204 to Pittington
indiGo 208 to Peterlee
indiGo 265 to Seaham
X-lines X20 to Sunderland
52 (Scarlett band)

Stand K
Service 59 to Wheatley Hill

Stand L
Prince Bishops 20 to Sunderland and South Shields
56/57/58
X12 to Boro

Stand M
X-lines X5 and X15 to Consett
Durham Diamond 16 and 16A to Stanley and Castleside

--------------------------

I wonder if the Park and Ride will go to stand K - if not, why have a service which only runs on a Sunday on a stand by its self... while others are congested...........

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
05 Feb 2021, 11:10 am #283

(04 Feb 2021, 8:42 pm)Jimmi Arriva Durham stand allocations

6 - F
7 - G
22/24 - C
43/48 - D
49/49A - E
56/57/58 - L
61/62/64 to Arnison - B
64 to Sherburn - A
X12 to Newcastle - G
X12 to Boro - L

Thanks Jimmi

Stand A
Service 64 to Sherburn

Stand B
X-lines X20 to Langley Park
Service 59 to Arnison Centre
Service 61/62/64 to Arnison

Stand C
Service 22/24

Stand D
Service 43/48
X46

Stand E
49/49A - E

Stand F
Service 6

Stand G
X-lines X21 to Bishop Auckland
Service 7
X12 to Newcastle

Stand H
Angel 21 to Newcastle
X-lines X21 to Newcastle
Service 50 to South Shields

Stand J
indiGo 204 to Pittington
indiGo 208 to Peterlee
indiGo 265 to Seaham
X-lines X20 to Sunderland
52 (Scarlett band)

Stand K
Service 59 to Wheatley Hill

Stand L
Prince Bishops 20 to Sunderland and South Shields
56/57/58
X12 to Boro

Stand M
X-lines X5 and X15 to Consett
Durham Diamond 16 and 16A to Stanley and Castleside

--------------------------

I wonder if the Park and Ride will go to stand K - if not, why have a service which only runs on a Sunday on a stand by its self... while others are congested...........

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Jimmi

05 Feb 2021, 11:17 am #284
(05 Feb 2021, 11:10 am)Michael Thanks Jimmi

I accidentally omitted the X46 which is leaving from stand D

PR1 is leaving from the Wharton Park stops near the Rail Station (or County Hospital as the stops were previously known) as usual then will skip to the next stop on Claypath (Millburngate Bridge / Leazes Road Sniperley bound).

Scarlet Band service 52 leaving from stand J

JH Coaches B66 to/from Blackpool will leave from Sutton Street.

National Express likely will leave from Sutton Street assuming any services return to serving Durham any time soon.
Jimmi
05 Feb 2021, 11:17 am #284

(05 Feb 2021, 11:10 am)Michael Thanks Jimmi

I accidentally omitted the X46 which is leaving from stand D

PR1 is leaving from the Wharton Park stops near the Rail Station (or County Hospital as the stops were previously known) as usual then will skip to the next stop on Claypath (Millburngate Bridge / Leazes Road Sniperley bound).

Scarlet Band service 52 leaving from stand J

JH Coaches B66 to/from Blackpool will leave from Sutton Street.

National Express likely will leave from Sutton Street assuming any services return to serving Durham any time soon.

mb134

05 Feb 2021, 6:01 pm #285
Whole scheme screams "lipstick on a pig". 

The design of the actual bus station is not fit for purpose, especially when Arriva decide it makes a cute little mini-depot.
mb134
05 Feb 2021, 6:01 pm #285

Whole scheme screams "lipstick on a pig". 

The design of the actual bus station is not fit for purpose, especially when Arriva decide it makes a cute little mini-depot.

05 Feb 2021, 7:38 pm #286
(05 Feb 2021, 6:01 pm)mb134 Whole scheme screams "lipstick on a pig". 

Even if they did have a bit more discipline on where they put their buses, it's still far too small considering how many buses use it. It's desperate for something like Shields interchange. Shame the council aren't prepared to make the space.
deanmachine
05 Feb 2021, 7:38 pm #286

(05 Feb 2021, 6:01 pm)mb134 Whole scheme screams "lipstick on a pig". 

Even if they did have a bit more discipline on where they put their buses, it's still far too small considering how many buses use it. It's desperate for something like Shields interchange. Shame the council aren't prepared to make the space.

Dan

Site Administrator

05 Feb 2021, 7:46 pm #287
(05 Feb 2021, 7:38 pm)deanmachine Even if they did have a bit more discipline on where they put their buses, it's still far too small considering how many buses use it. It's desperate for something like Shields interchange. Shame the council aren't prepared to make the space.

*Awaiting Andreos1's comments to suggest that Durham County Council are just titivating, rather than making real improvements*  Angel Big Grin
Dan
05 Feb 2021, 7:46 pm #287

(05 Feb 2021, 7:38 pm)deanmachine Even if they did have a bit more discipline on where they put their buses, it's still far too small considering how many buses use it. It's desperate for something like Shields interchange. Shame the council aren't prepared to make the space.

*Awaiting Andreos1's comments to suggest that Durham County Council are just titivating, rather than making real improvements*  Angel Big Grin

mb134

05 Feb 2021, 7:49 pm #288

Agreed, and to an extent I suppose there's nowhere else really for them to be parked unless they massively increase depot to bus station dead running. 

I get that it's expensive to remodel the entire area - but sometimes the expensive option is the only one that'll be of benefit.
mb134
05 Feb 2021, 7:49 pm #288

Agreed, and to an extent I suppose there's nowhere else really for them to be parked unless they massively increase depot to bus station dead running. 

I get that it's expensive to remodel the entire area - but sometimes the expensive option is the only one that'll be of benefit.

05 Feb 2021, 7:55 pm #289
(05 Feb 2021, 7:49 pm)mb134 Agreed, and to an extent I suppose there's nowhere else really for them to be parked unless they massively increase depot to bus station dead running. 

The "bus dumping" issue would be solved with an appropriate amount of lay over areas and stands. Park Lane and Gateshead interchange have loads, you rarely see an empty bus dumped on the wrong stand there, despite there being constant driver change overs.
deanmachine
05 Feb 2021, 7:55 pm #289

(05 Feb 2021, 7:49 pm)mb134 Agreed, and to an extent I suppose there's nowhere else really for them to be parked unless they massively increase depot to bus station dead running. 

The "bus dumping" issue would be solved with an appropriate amount of lay over areas and stands. Park Lane and Gateshead interchange have loads, you rarely see an empty bus dumped on the wrong stand there, despite there being constant driver change overs.

05 Feb 2021, 8:01 pm #290
(05 Feb 2021, 7:55 pm)deanmachine The "bus dumping" issue would be solved with an appropriate amount of lay over areas and stands. Park Lane and Gateshead interchange have loads, you rarely see an empty bus dumped on the wrong stand there, despite there being constant driver change overs.

But then again you could also fit the entirety of Durham Bus Station in the layover area at Gateshead!
streetdeckfan
05 Feb 2021, 8:01 pm #290

(05 Feb 2021, 7:55 pm)deanmachine The "bus dumping" issue would be solved with an appropriate amount of lay over areas and stands. Park Lane and Gateshead interchange have loads, you rarely see an empty bus dumped on the wrong stand there, despite there being constant driver change overs.

But then again you could also fit the entirety of Durham Bus Station in the layover area at Gateshead!

mb134

05 Feb 2021, 8:03 pm #291

Yep 100%. 

I've never been a huge fan of how the stands are arranged there either, they seem far too close together. Lost count of the amount of times a driver has had to abandon the departure until the bus next to them has left, as they either couldn't get the swing or couldn't see what was coming down to proceed safely.
mb134
05 Feb 2021, 8:03 pm #291

Yep 100%. 

I've never been a huge fan of how the stands are arranged there either, they seem far too close together. Lost count of the amount of times a driver has had to abandon the departure until the bus next to them has left, as they either couldn't get the swing or couldn't see what was coming down to proceed safely.

Jimmi

05 Feb 2021, 10:55 pm #292
Another issue being is how things are timed for stand allocations, on many stands its a case of as soon as one bus leaves, another should be pulling onto said stand within seconds so if anything arrives early things go into disarray.

Stand allocations don't seem to be taken into account as much as in Tyne & Wear, a classic example being early evening on stand K where the 7, X12 & X21 got timed to be put on the same stand at the same time which was clearly not considered when the GNE Chester-le-Street bound services were shifted from stand B to L and Newcastle bound X12's got put onto stand K with the 7 & Bishop bound X21's. For as long as I can remember stand C has had the X15 (previously 15) and 16A both timed to depart at 08:50 on a Saturday morning.

A major one I've just noticed is the 49/49A are now on the same stand as the 204/265 with clashes (stand G) whilst stand F has only service 52 roughly every 2 to 2 and a half hours, think F is not favoured due to only being suitable to smaller buses so as 49/49A is now typically allocated larger buses I'm guessing it was moved from F to G, probs should've moved the 204/265 onto F as apart from a few peak 265s being decker allocated the vast majority are allocated Solo SRs.
Jimmi
05 Feb 2021, 10:55 pm #292

Another issue being is how things are timed for stand allocations, on many stands its a case of as soon as one bus leaves, another should be pulling onto said stand within seconds so if anything arrives early things go into disarray.

Stand allocations don't seem to be taken into account as much as in Tyne & Wear, a classic example being early evening on stand K where the 7, X12 & X21 got timed to be put on the same stand at the same time which was clearly not considered when the GNE Chester-le-Street bound services were shifted from stand B to L and Newcastle bound X12's got put onto stand K with the 7 & Bishop bound X21's. For as long as I can remember stand C has had the X15 (previously 15) and 16A both timed to depart at 08:50 on a Saturday morning.

A major one I've just noticed is the 49/49A are now on the same stand as the 204/265 with clashes (stand G) whilst stand F has only service 52 roughly every 2 to 2 and a half hours, think F is not favoured due to only being suitable to smaller buses so as 49/49A is now typically allocated larger buses I'm guessing it was moved from F to G, probs should've moved the 204/265 onto F as apart from a few peak 265s being decker allocated the vast majority are allocated Solo SRs.

Michael

05 Feb 2021, 11:08 pm #293
(05 Feb 2021, 10:55 pm)Jimmi Another issue being is how things are timed for stand allocations, on many stands its a case of as soon as one bus leaves, another should be pulling onto said stand within seconds so if anything arrives early things go into disarray.

I think Durham will always have a problem with congestion... think it would of been better for them to buy at least 1 more building and knock it down to open the space.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
05 Feb 2021, 11:08 pm #293

(05 Feb 2021, 10:55 pm)Jimmi Another issue being is how things are timed for stand allocations, on many stands its a case of as soon as one bus leaves, another should be pulling onto said stand within seconds so if anything arrives early things go into disarray.

I think Durham will always have a problem with congestion... think it would of been better for them to buy at least 1 more building and knock it down to open the space.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

cbma06

06 Feb 2021, 10:37 am #294
Don’t know if it’s just me but looks like the internal passengers floor space will be reduced in the new build , with the extra length taken up by the bus bays which will be longer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbma06
06 Feb 2021, 10:37 am #294

Don’t know if it’s just me but looks like the internal passengers floor space will be reduced in the new build , with the extra length taken up by the bus bays which will be longer?

Adrian

06 Feb 2021, 1:24 pm #295

How do you propose that they make the space, out of interest? The current site has very little scope for expansion IMO. There's a Grade II listed building to the North West of the site and one to the South.

Adrian
06 Feb 2021, 1:24 pm #295

How do you propose that they make the space, out of interest? The current site has very little scope for expansion IMO. There's a Grade II listed building to the North West of the site and one to the South.

06 Feb 2021, 1:32 pm #296
(06 Feb 2021, 1:24 pm)Adrian How do you propose that they make the space, out of interest? The current site has very little scope for expansion IMO. There's a Grade II listed building to the North West of the site and one to the South.

They were proposing a new location I think not too long ago? Space is a premium in Durham I know, but the current bus station is simple not fit for purpose, and I'm doubtful the new one will be much better at dealing with the congestion. I'm not claiming to be an expert on where you could put a bus station, I don't know Durham in that much detail to know where you could put one.
deanmachine
06 Feb 2021, 1:32 pm #296

(06 Feb 2021, 1:24 pm)Adrian How do you propose that they make the space, out of interest? The current site has very little scope for expansion IMO. There's a Grade II listed building to the North West of the site and one to the South.

They were proposing a new location I think not too long ago? Space is a premium in Durham I know, but the current bus station is simple not fit for purpose, and I'm doubtful the new one will be much better at dealing with the congestion. I'm not claiming to be an expert on where you could put a bus station, I don't know Durham in that much detail to know where you could put one.

Adrian

06 Feb 2021, 1:47 pm #297
(06 Feb 2021, 1:32 pm)deanmachine They were proposing a new location I think not too long ago? Space is a premium in Durham I know, but the current bus station is simple not fit for purpose, and I'm doubtful the new one will be much better at dealing with the congestion. I'm not claiming to be an expert on where you could put a bus station, I don't know Durham in that much detail to know where you could put one.

The plans in 2016 were to build it on the site of Metcalfe House and remove the North Road roundabout in the process. The plans actually decreased the amount of layout bays available, and I think increased the amount of stands by 1, but that was offset by the loss of the two North Road stands used by the 61/62/64/13/14.

Due to the nature of Durham, there isn't really anywhere else you could put a bus station. The old coach park would have been the best bet, but that is now being redeveloped as office space. Other locations would be too far away from where people want to be. Perhaps a more radical option would be to not insist on every bus service terminating at Durham Bus Station?

Adrian
06 Feb 2021, 1:47 pm #297

(06 Feb 2021, 1:32 pm)deanmachine They were proposing a new location I think not too long ago? Space is a premium in Durham I know, but the current bus station is simple not fit for purpose, and I'm doubtful the new one will be much better at dealing with the congestion. I'm not claiming to be an expert on where you could put a bus station, I don't know Durham in that much detail to know where you could put one.

The plans in 2016 were to build it on the site of Metcalfe House and remove the North Road roundabout in the process. The plans actually decreased the amount of layout bays available, and I think increased the amount of stands by 1, but that was offset by the loss of the two North Road stands used by the 61/62/64/13/14.

Due to the nature of Durham, there isn't really anywhere else you could put a bus station. The old coach park would have been the best bet, but that is now being redeveloped as office space. Other locations would be too far away from where people want to be. Perhaps a more radical option would be to not insist on every bus service terminating at Durham Bus Station?

06 Feb 2021, 1:57 pm #298
(06 Feb 2021, 1:47 pm)Adrian The plans in 2016 were to build it on the site of Metcalfe House and remove the North Road roundabout in the process. The plans actually decreased the amount of layout bays available, and I think increased the amount of stands by 1, but that was offset by the loss of the two North Road stands used by the 61/62/64/13/14.

It'd be good if they could make use of the park and ride services and have a bus station further afield, but then we'd have people complaining about having to catch 3 buses!
streetdeckfan
06 Feb 2021, 1:57 pm #298

(06 Feb 2021, 1:47 pm)Adrian The plans in 2016 were to build it on the site of Metcalfe House and remove the North Road roundabout in the process. The plans actually decreased the amount of layout bays available, and I think increased the amount of stands by 1, but that was offset by the loss of the two North Road stands used by the 61/62/64/13/14.

It'd be good if they could make use of the park and ride services and have a bus station further afield, but then we'd have people complaining about having to catch 3 buses!

06 Feb 2021, 7:01 pm #299
Is there a provisional timescale or date for when the rebuilding or replacement for Durham bus station will be complete?
MetrolineGA1511
06 Feb 2021, 7:01 pm #299

Is there a provisional timescale or date for when the rebuilding or replacement for Durham bus station will be complete?

cbma06

06 Feb 2021, 7:50 pm #300
(06 Feb 2021, 7:01 pm)Metroline1511 Is there a provisional timescale or date for when the rebuilding or replacement for Durham bus station will be complete?

Autumn 2022

https://www.durham.gov.uk/durhambusstation

cbma06
06 Feb 2021, 7:50 pm #300

(06 Feb 2021, 7:01 pm)Metroline1511 Is there a provisional timescale or date for when the rebuilding or replacement for Durham bus station will be complete?

Autumn 2022

https://www.durham.gov.uk/durhambusstation

Pages (20): Previous 114 15 1620 Next

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average