Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Durham Bus Stn

Durham Bus Stn

Durham Bus Stn

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average

Pages (20) Previous 115 16 1720 Next
Adrian

06 Feb 2021, 11:14 pm #301
(06 Feb 2021, 1:57 pm)streetdeckfan It'd be good if they could make use of the park and ride services and have a bus station further afield, but then we'd have people complaining about having to catch 3 buses!

It'd be nice in theory, but I am not sure whether it would encourage people to use public transport. I work in Durham and I know people would rather pay 3 times the price to park in the City Centre, rather than have to get the bus in with the Park and Ride. Mainly because the buses are too crowded at the times they're needed.

I was thinking more of having cross-city services. You could still do your changeovers etc in Durham, but the bus wouldn't need to be there for long enough for the driver to have an excuse to dump it on a stand.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
06 Feb 2021, 11:14 pm #301

(06 Feb 2021, 1:57 pm)streetdeckfan It'd be good if they could make use of the park and ride services and have a bus station further afield, but then we'd have people complaining about having to catch 3 buses!

It'd be nice in theory, but I am not sure whether it would encourage people to use public transport. I work in Durham and I know people would rather pay 3 times the price to park in the City Centre, rather than have to get the bus in with the Park and Ride. Mainly because the buses are too crowded at the times they're needed.

I was thinking more of having cross-city services. You could still do your changeovers etc in Durham, but the bus wouldn't need to be there for long enough for the driver to have an excuse to dump it on a stand.

Jimmi

07 Feb 2021, 12:14 am #302
(06 Feb 2021, 11:14 pm)Adrian It'd be nice in theory, but I am not sure whether it would encourage people to use public transport. I work in Durham and I know people would rather pay 3 times the price to park in the City Centre, rather than have to get the bus in with the Park and Ride. Mainly because the buses are too crowded at the times they're needed.

The fact that prior to going back into lockdown I was often seeing the PR1 with 'Bus Full' at peak times will potentially go further to putting people off using it in future.

The fact that during the works you'll have to get off the PR1 at either Wharton Park or Claypath/Millburngate Bridge stops may put a few off further and this is on top of the PR2 currently terminating outside the courts because of the New Elvet Bridge replacement works.

Can't say I'm looking forward to the prospects of only having a small space to wait for my bus whilst still in a global pandemic and having to social distance, I'm half tempted to change between the 7 & X21 at Croxdale rather than Durham or return home via Peterlee on the X10 & X21 to dodge it.
Jimmi
07 Feb 2021, 12:14 am #302

(06 Feb 2021, 11:14 pm)Adrian It'd be nice in theory, but I am not sure whether it would encourage people to use public transport. I work in Durham and I know people would rather pay 3 times the price to park in the City Centre, rather than have to get the bus in with the Park and Ride. Mainly because the buses are too crowded at the times they're needed.

The fact that prior to going back into lockdown I was often seeing the PR1 with 'Bus Full' at peak times will potentially go further to putting people off using it in future.

The fact that during the works you'll have to get off the PR1 at either Wharton Park or Claypath/Millburngate Bridge stops may put a few off further and this is on top of the PR2 currently terminating outside the courts because of the New Elvet Bridge replacement works.

Can't say I'm looking forward to the prospects of only having a small space to wait for my bus whilst still in a global pandemic and having to social distance, I'm half tempted to change between the 7 & X21 at Croxdale rather than Durham or return home via Peterlee on the X10 & X21 to dodge it.

Storx

07 Feb 2021, 12:49 am #303

Disagree with that mind, would just be unpopular as it's too much hassle changing buses. Changes like that will only work if it's a Bus to Metro, Bus to Tram or Bus to Train with no additional costs to do so.
Storx
07 Feb 2021, 12:49 am #303

Disagree with that mind, would just be unpopular as it's too much hassle changing buses. Changes like that will only work if it's a Bus to Metro, Bus to Tram or Bus to Train with no additional costs to do so.

07 Feb 2021, 2:10 pm #304
(06 Feb 2021, 7:50 pm)cbma06 Autumn 2022

https://www.durham.gov.uk/durhambusstation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for your update.  I shall probably still come to the Newcastle area later this year.  I may avoid Durham for now though.
MetrolineGA1511
07 Feb 2021, 2:10 pm #304

(06 Feb 2021, 7:50 pm)cbma06 Autumn 2022

https://www.durham.gov.uk/durhambusstation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for your update.  I shall probably still come to the Newcastle area later this year.  I may avoid Durham for now though.

James101

07 Feb 2021, 5:11 pm #305
(06 Feb 2021, 1:24 pm)Adrian How do you propose that they make the space, out of interest? The current site has very little scope for expansion IMO. There's a Grade II listed building to the North West of the site and one to the South.

I would have looked at reviewing the road layout entirely and see if the entire top section of North Road could be incorporated into the station, having an island building with stands on both sides.
James101
07 Feb 2021, 5:11 pm #305

(06 Feb 2021, 1:24 pm)Adrian How do you propose that they make the space, out of interest? The current site has very little scope for expansion IMO. There's a Grade II listed building to the North West of the site and one to the South.

I would have looked at reviewing the road layout entirely and see if the entire top section of North Road could be incorporated into the station, having an island building with stands on both sides.

07 Feb 2021, 9:06 pm #306
(07 Feb 2021, 5:11 pm)James101 I would have looked at reviewing the road layout entirely and see if the entire top section of North Road could be incorporated into the station, having an island building with stands on both sides.

Yeah, they definitely could make better use of North Road, especially for through services like the X12 and X21, so they're not caught out by Arriva's frequent bus dumping.
streetdeckfan
07 Feb 2021, 9:06 pm #306

(07 Feb 2021, 5:11 pm)James101 I would have looked at reviewing the road layout entirely and see if the entire top section of North Road could be incorporated into the station, having an island building with stands on both sides.

Yeah, they definitely could make better use of North Road, especially for through services like the X12 and X21, so they're not caught out by Arriva's frequent bus dumping.

Adrian

15 Feb 2021, 6:39 pm #307
Northern Echo: What Durham looked like on the first day of the bus station closure
https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/1...b4o9fx4-Bc

Adrian
15 Feb 2021, 6:39 pm #307

Northern Echo: What Durham looked like on the first day of the bus station closure

mb134

15 Feb 2021, 7:51 pm #308
(15 Feb 2021, 6:39 pm)Adrian Northern Echo: What Durham looked like on the first day of the bus station closure

That's going to be fantastic when traffic levels get back to normal...

I think you mentioned it further up, I think Durham is set up for far more for cross-city services than it is for services terminating in a bus station. 

ANEs 43, 48, 49, 49A, 64, 56, 57, 58 could all be combined into a new set of services which serve Millburngate instead of the bus station (I'm aware some of those already don't serve DBS). If push came to shove you could probably also look at extending something like the 6 to terminate at the Arnison Centre, for example, rather than DBS.
mb134
15 Feb 2021, 7:51 pm #308

(15 Feb 2021, 6:39 pm)Adrian Northern Echo: What Durham looked like on the first day of the bus station closure

That's going to be fantastic when traffic levels get back to normal...

I think you mentioned it further up, I think Durham is set up for far more for cross-city services than it is for services terminating in a bus station. 

ANEs 43, 48, 49, 49A, 64, 56, 57, 58 could all be combined into a new set of services which serve Millburngate instead of the bus station (I'm aware some of those already don't serve DBS). If push came to shove you could probably also look at extending something like the 6 to terminate at the Arnison Centre, for example, rather than DBS.

Jimmi

16 Feb 2021, 3:10 pm #309
(15 Feb 2021, 7:51 pm)mb134 That's going to be fantastic when traffic levels get back to normal...

I don't think making more services 'Cross City' would make much of a difference at least for Arriva considering every service bar Darlington depot 7's and Stockton depot X12's have driver changeovers in Durham City Centre so you'd still have the issue of buses being dumped, just difference is this would now occur in a different part of the City Centre.

I think the big issue with Durham Bus Station is the lack of layover facilities, in an ideal world you would have a set down zone to drop passengers off on journeys terminating in the Bus Station then the bus could pull onto a layover stand to do a driver changeover if required*, not currently the space to really do this due to Arriva having buses spare on the layover stands plus GNE taking a stand around midday for driver changeovers/break room for drivers on the 40's. Only other solution would be more stands for departures.
*I'm aware this would require Arriva to actually use it which is probably too much to ask lol

The new bus station will most likely face the same issues as its predecessor but at very least it can't be anymore unpleasant for passengers to wait in, surely?!
Jimmi
16 Feb 2021, 3:10 pm #309

(15 Feb 2021, 7:51 pm)mb134 That's going to be fantastic when traffic levels get back to normal...

I don't think making more services 'Cross City' would make much of a difference at least for Arriva considering every service bar Darlington depot 7's and Stockton depot X12's have driver changeovers in Durham City Centre so you'd still have the issue of buses being dumped, just difference is this would now occur in a different part of the City Centre.

I think the big issue with Durham Bus Station is the lack of layover facilities, in an ideal world you would have a set down zone to drop passengers off on journeys terminating in the Bus Station then the bus could pull onto a layover stand to do a driver changeover if required*, not currently the space to really do this due to Arriva having buses spare on the layover stands plus GNE taking a stand around midday for driver changeovers/break room for drivers on the 40's. Only other solution would be more stands for departures.
*I'm aware this would require Arriva to actually use it which is probably too much to ask lol

The new bus station will most likely face the same issues as its predecessor but at very least it can't be anymore unpleasant for passengers to wait in, surely?!

BusLoverMum

06 Mar 2021, 11:30 pm #310
(05 Feb 2021, 6:01 pm)mb134 Whole scheme screams "lipstick on a pig". 

The design of the actual bus station is not fit for purpose, especially when Arriva decide it makes a cute little mini-depot.
I completely agree with this. Unfit for purpose as the old bus station was, it is going to solve neither the problem of stand blocking or of north road antisocial behaviour. (covid has done a better job of both)

(07 Feb 2021, 12:14 am)Jimmi The fact that prior to going back into lockdown I was often seeing the PR1 with 'Bus Full' at peak times will potentially go further to putting people off using it in future.

I caught pr1 a few times when I lived in east Durham. And needed to get to hospital appointments. and on Saturday mornings and weekdays after 3, it was always rammed. (I live near the hospital and just watch it pass, these days!)
Edited 06 Mar 2021, 11:33 pm by BusLoverMum.
BusLoverMum
06 Mar 2021, 11:30 pm #310

(05 Feb 2021, 6:01 pm)mb134 Whole scheme screams "lipstick on a pig". 

The design of the actual bus station is not fit for purpose, especially when Arriva decide it makes a cute little mini-depot.
I completely agree with this. Unfit for purpose as the old bus station was, it is going to solve neither the problem of stand blocking or of north road antisocial behaviour. (covid has done a better job of both)

(07 Feb 2021, 12:14 am)Jimmi The fact that prior to going back into lockdown I was often seeing the PR1 with 'Bus Full' at peak times will potentially go further to putting people off using it in future.

I caught pr1 a few times when I lived in east Durham. And needed to get to hospital appointments. and on Saturday mornings and weekdays after 3, it was always rammed. (I live near the hospital and just watch it pass, these days!)

col87

12 Mar 2021, 6:59 pm #311
This will be interesting to see what happens if a bus breaks down at one of the stops or two buses end up coming together needing the same stop. Can see it carnage at some point especially with Buses having to use the stops for what can be for some services a long layover as well.
col87
12 Mar 2021, 6:59 pm #311

This will be interesting to see what happens if a bus breaks down at one of the stops or two buses end up coming together needing the same stop. Can see it carnage at some point especially with Buses having to use the stops for what can be for some services a long layover as well.

Adrian

12 Mar 2021, 7:04 pm #312
(12 Mar 2021, 6:59 pm)col87 This will be interesting to see what happens if a bus breaks down at one of the stops or two buses end up coming together needing the same stop. Can see it carnage at some point especially with Buses having to use the stops for what can be for some services a long layover as well.

Regarding layover, operators have been advised "Lay over areas situated on Sutton Street and Framwellgate Peth to ensure buses are not waiting on temporary bus stops longer than required. This improves pedestrian and driver visibility whilst reducing potential for services to obstruct one another, improving bus flow and in turn reducing potential bus delay and associated increase in passengers on footways."

Adrian
12 Mar 2021, 7:04 pm #312

(12 Mar 2021, 6:59 pm)col87 This will be interesting to see what happens if a bus breaks down at one of the stops or two buses end up coming together needing the same stop. Can see it carnage at some point especially with Buses having to use the stops for what can be for some services a long layover as well.

Regarding layover, operators have been advised "Lay over areas situated on Sutton Street and Framwellgate Peth to ensure buses are not waiting on temporary bus stops longer than required. This improves pedestrian and driver visibility whilst reducing potential for services to obstruct one another, improving bus flow and in turn reducing potential bus delay and associated increase in passengers on footways."

MurdnunoC

12 Mar 2021, 7:14 pm #313
(12 Mar 2021, 7:04 pm)Adrian Regarding layover, operators have been advised "Lay over areas situated on Sutton Street and Framwellgate Peth to ensure buses are not waiting on temporary bus stops longer than required. This improves pedestrian and driver visibility whilst reducing potential for services to obstruct one another, improving bus flow and in turn reducing potential bus delay and associated increase in passengers on footways."

Sounds like a good idea in principle, but I can't see it being over with Arriva drivers. It's bound to generate some unwanted heat.
MurdnunoC
12 Mar 2021, 7:14 pm #313

(12 Mar 2021, 7:04 pm)Adrian Regarding layover, operators have been advised "Lay over areas situated on Sutton Street and Framwellgate Peth to ensure buses are not waiting on temporary bus stops longer than required. This improves pedestrian and driver visibility whilst reducing potential for services to obstruct one another, improving bus flow and in turn reducing potential bus delay and associated increase in passengers on footways."

Sounds like a good idea in principle, but I can't see it being over with Arriva drivers. It's bound to generate some unwanted heat.

12 Mar 2021, 8:32 pm #314
With regards to the design, I think they should have put a canopy on the North Road side and add 2 stands facing Northbound on North Road, replacing the parking spaces and loading bay, move them to the opposite side of the road with the bus stops there moved a bit further down or move the disabled parking spaces further down.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Rapidsnap
12 Mar 2021, 8:32 pm #314

With regards to the design, I think they should have put a canopy on the North Road side and add 2 stands facing Northbound on North Road, replacing the parking spaces and loading bay, move them to the opposite side of the road with the bus stops there moved a bit further down or move the disabled parking spaces further down.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/

Adrian

12 Mar 2021, 8:43 pm #315
(12 Mar 2021, 8:32 pm)Rapidsnap With regards to the design, I think they should have put a canopy on the North Road side and add 2 stands facing Northbound on North Road, replacing the parking spaces and loading bay, move them to the opposite side of the road with the bus stops there moved a bit further down or move the disabled parking spaces further down.

How would the buses get to be north-bound facing though? The only way to do it at present is looping the bus station, which is no longer possible.

Adrian
12 Mar 2021, 8:43 pm #315

(12 Mar 2021, 8:32 pm)Rapidsnap With regards to the design, I think they should have put a canopy on the North Road side and add 2 stands facing Northbound on North Road, replacing the parking spaces and loading bay, move them to the opposite side of the road with the bus stops there moved a bit further down or move the disabled parking spaces further down.

How would the buses get to be north-bound facing though? The only way to do it at present is looping the bus station, which is no longer possible.

col87

13 Mar 2021, 12:20 am #316
(12 Mar 2021, 8:43 pm)Adrian How would the buses get to be north-bound facing though? The only way to do it at present is looping the bus station, which is no longer possible.
 Obviously the bus Station it self is closed but is not possible to still use it as a layover point if passengers are dropped off before they enter.    I don’t know Durham to well but could they not have made a temporary bus Station elsewhere while the work is taking place like how Middlesbrough use Sainsbury’s back in 2012 while that one was been done up. Even if it was a park and ride site it wouldn’t have been to bad with a regular shuttle service and the existing 64 21 X21 services  to north road still might have worked.
col87
13 Mar 2021, 12:20 am #316

(12 Mar 2021, 8:43 pm)Adrian How would the buses get to be north-bound facing though? The only way to do it at present is looping the bus station, which is no longer possible.
 Obviously the bus Station it self is closed but is not possible to still use it as a layover point if passengers are dropped off before they enter.    I don’t know Durham to well but could they not have made a temporary bus Station elsewhere while the work is taking place like how Middlesbrough use Sainsbury’s back in 2012 while that one was been done up. Even if it was a park and ride site it wouldn’t have been to bad with a regular shuttle service and the existing 64 21 X21 services  to north road still might have worked.

14 Mar 2021, 12:23 pm #317

I meant on the completed new bus station, not with the current situation.

Rapidsnap
14 Mar 2021, 12:23 pm #317

I meant on the completed new bus station, not with the current situation.

col87

29 Apr 2021, 8:32 pm #318
They haven’t planned the stops very good. One Hartlepool service is at stand C the other is right at the other end on Milburngate so no good if wanting to see which one comes first which I would think many people did. I think it could put quite a few people off going to Durham but we will see.
col87
29 Apr 2021, 8:32 pm #318

They haven’t planned the stops very good. One Hartlepool service is at stand C the other is right at the other end on Milburngate so no good if wanting to see which one comes first which I would think many people did. I think it could put quite a few people off going to Durham but we will see.

Adrian

29 Apr 2021, 9:54 pm #319
(29 Apr 2021, 8:32 pm)col87 They haven’t planned the stops very good. One Hartlepool service is at stand C the other is right at the other end on Milburngate so no good if wanting to see which one comes first which I would think many people did. I think it could put quite a few people off going to Durham but we will see.

Same problem as when you were in the old Durham Bus Station really. If something pulled into C when you were at the other end, you couldn't see it because of the frame of the building obstructing the destination screen.

Adrian
29 Apr 2021, 9:54 pm #319

(29 Apr 2021, 8:32 pm)col87 They haven’t planned the stops very good. One Hartlepool service is at stand C the other is right at the other end on Milburngate so no good if wanting to see which one comes first which I would think many people did. I think it could put quite a few people off going to Durham but we will see.

Same problem as when you were in the old Durham Bus Station really. If something pulled into C when you were at the other end, you couldn't see it because of the frame of the building obstructing the destination screen.

Ryland

30 Jul 2021, 9:56 pm #320
Does anyone have any update on how the bus station is taking place
Ryland
30 Jul 2021, 9:56 pm #320

Does anyone have any update on how the bus station is taking place

Pages (20) Previous 115 16 1720 Next

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average