Menu

North East Buses The Canteen General off-topic chat Cameras

Cameras

Cameras

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (13) Previous 111 12 13
Malarkey

02 Feb 2018, 8:00 pm #241
(02 Feb 2018, 7:47 pm)EL1TE Anyone got any recommendations for cameras that do really well in low light? Tried some with my B500 tonight but most were just a complete failure.

I have a Nikon D5200 which I think performs quite well in low light.
Malarkey
02 Feb 2018, 8:00 pm #241

(02 Feb 2018, 7:47 pm)EL1TE Anyone got any recommendations for cameras that do really well in low light? Tried some with my B500 tonight but most were just a complete failure.

I have a Nikon D5200 which I think performs quite well in low light.

Jamie M

Unregistered

02 Feb 2018, 10:13 pm #242
My opinion:
Panasonic G80 with a prime. A few years ago, without a doubt I would be saying the likes of the Nikon D5200 - but the G80 features image stabilization and a tonne of other features that balance out the odds. I found with DSRLS (Nikon and Canon below 1,000£) that I was being forced to use the eye-piece view finder where-as a Panasonic will allow you to use the touchpad display as the view finder. You can see what the shot is going to look like before you even take it. Nikons and Canons at a (lower) consumer level won't have image stabilization, where as the panasonics almost exclusively do. This makes a difference in the freezing winter night on northumberland street.... The Nikon weighs 0.8kg with no technology to counter-act tiny movements you naturally make, the panasonics do.

My advice:
I wouldn't just base your requirements on abstract things like "well in low light". It's far better to find a piece of technology that is practical for you. You can listen to people give you their opinions, but it's about what you feel comfortable with. Pop into jessops and play around with a few. Talk to the people and get an understanding for what you want. Nobody in the world will be able to tell you which is the best camera for your situation, so it's kind of a gamble - but an educated one at that. If you find something you like but don't think you have the money - wait until you do. It's an investment and it's worth taking the time to find something you want and won't get sick off a few days after.
Jamie M
02 Feb 2018, 10:13 pm #242

My opinion:
Panasonic G80 with a prime. A few years ago, without a doubt I would be saying the likes of the Nikon D5200 - but the G80 features image stabilization and a tonne of other features that balance out the odds. I found with DSRLS (Nikon and Canon below 1,000£) that I was being forced to use the eye-piece view finder where-as a Panasonic will allow you to use the touchpad display as the view finder. You can see what the shot is going to look like before you even take it. Nikons and Canons at a (lower) consumer level won't have image stabilization, where as the panasonics almost exclusively do. This makes a difference in the freezing winter night on northumberland street.... The Nikon weighs 0.8kg with no technology to counter-act tiny movements you naturally make, the panasonics do.

My advice:
I wouldn't just base your requirements on abstract things like "well in low light". It's far better to find a piece of technology that is practical for you. You can listen to people give you their opinions, but it's about what you feel comfortable with. Pop into jessops and play around with a few. Talk to the people and get an understanding for what you want. Nobody in the world will be able to tell you which is the best camera for your situation, so it's kind of a gamble - but an educated one at that. If you find something you like but don't think you have the money - wait until you do. It's an investment and it's worth taking the time to find something you want and won't get sick off a few days after.

Jamie M

Unregistered

11 Apr 2018, 2:40 pm #243
Got meself a Nikon D5200, I don't like using it at daytime though, probably ome for night time.. not exactly low profile with a 18-105mm lens on. Partly why I still love my panasonic so much Big Grin

The menu on these nikons aren't very intuitive either, I need more time to adjust like!
Jamie M
11 Apr 2018, 2:40 pm #243

Got meself a Nikon D5200, I don't like using it at daytime though, probably ome for night time.. not exactly low profile with a 18-105mm lens on. Partly why I still love my panasonic so much Big Grin

The menu on these nikons aren't very intuitive either, I need more time to adjust like!

Jimmi

07 Jun 2018, 7:59 pm #244
Still using the Nikon D5100.

This is no doubt not an issue with the camera and more likely a case of me being a complete dummy when it comes to cameras and not knowing settings or anything that work best when photographing in this hobby but... I just can't seem to achieve the quality of photos that I probably should be.

The biggest struggle is when I have to manually select what mode, shutter speeds etc the camera should be in, often the images are not coming out totally clear (usually blurry, not in focus or looking slightly distorted) another issue I always have is the photos either turning out far to bright or dark, recently had to take a photo of a Stagecoach Yorkshire StreetLite in Sheffield and I ended up taking something like 50 shots of the same bus and only managed 4 photos were the lighting was correct and the quality was right.

Anyone know where I am going wrong?

I am maybe looking into possibilities of upgrading but considering how expensive cameras are, I'm unsure if it is worth it, especially if I end up making the same mistakes that I seem to be making currently.
Jimmi
07 Jun 2018, 7:59 pm #244

Still using the Nikon D5100.

This is no doubt not an issue with the camera and more likely a case of me being a complete dummy when it comes to cameras and not knowing settings or anything that work best when photographing in this hobby but... I just can't seem to achieve the quality of photos that I probably should be.

The biggest struggle is when I have to manually select what mode, shutter speeds etc the camera should be in, often the images are not coming out totally clear (usually blurry, not in focus or looking slightly distorted) another issue I always have is the photos either turning out far to bright or dark, recently had to take a photo of a Stagecoach Yorkshire StreetLite in Sheffield and I ended up taking something like 50 shots of the same bus and only managed 4 photos were the lighting was correct and the quality was right.

I am maybe looking into possibilities of upgrading but considering how expensive cameras are, I'm unsure if it is worth it, especially if I end up making the same mistakes that I seem to be making currently.

08 Dec 2018, 11:55 am #245
So recently I’ve got my hands on a Nikon D3300 and this morning I tested it for a few low light shots.
My two photos of GNE’s 8343 in low light - I’d appreciate any feedback for improving!
Photo 1 - https://www.flickr.com/photos/140920997@...ateposted/
Photo 2 - https://www.flickr.com/photos/140920997@...ateposted/
EL1TE
08 Dec 2018, 11:55 am #245

So recently I’ve got my hands on a Nikon D3300 and this morning I tested it for a few low light shots.
My two photos of GNE’s 8343 in low light - I’d appreciate any feedback for improving!

Adrian

08 Dec 2018, 12:41 pm #246
(07 Jun 2018, 7:59 pm)Jimmi Still using the Nikon D5100.

Just seen this, and I think you're right in suggesting that it is you rather than the camera!  Tongue

Difficult to know why it is doing what you're suggesting, without seeing exactly what you're doing; but I remember telling you previously, that when you use the live preview mode (i.e. having the viewfinder open and active when shooting), you'll end up getting shutter lag. Live preview obviously requires the shutter to be open to show you the preview, but because it is, it then has to close, then reset the sensor back to 0, before reopening with your settings for your shot(s). Hence the lag. 

Now with the view-finder closed, and if you don't really understand the manual settings, you're best sticking to either sports mode or shutter priority (S) mode. The latter is a semi-automatic mode, so you'll be responsible for setting both the ISO and shutter speed. A good chart for your ISO is below - 

.jpg
86dee3624ab2902d5ccc74ee0ae7ba5d.jpg
Size 85.77 KB / Downloads 11

On top of this, you'll need to set your shutter speed. This is easy enough to have a play around with, but in perfect conditions, you'll probably get away with using at an absolute maximum for moving buses. 

Obviously all this depends on you using the eyelet rather than the view-finder.

(08 Dec 2018, 11:55 am)EL1TE So recently I’ve got my hands on a Nikon D3300 and this morning I tested it for a few low light shots.

Not bad. Was the bus moving or static? If static, you could have probably dropped your shutter speed a bit more and still took the shot handheld, which gives you a bit more light into your shot. 

I've never taken any night shots for a while now (I really should start!), but I always found well lit places to work really well. You still got the feeling of the night shot, but the extra light helps.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
08 Dec 2018, 12:41 pm #246

(07 Jun 2018, 7:59 pm)Jimmi Still using the Nikon D5100.

Just seen this, and I think you're right in suggesting that it is you rather than the camera!  Tongue

Difficult to know why it is doing what you're suggesting, without seeing exactly what you're doing; but I remember telling you previously, that when you use the live preview mode (i.e. having the viewfinder open and active when shooting), you'll end up getting shutter lag. Live preview obviously requires the shutter to be open to show you the preview, but because it is, it then has to close, then reset the sensor back to 0, before reopening with your settings for your shot(s). Hence the lag. 

Now with the view-finder closed, and if you don't really understand the manual settings, you're best sticking to either sports mode or shutter priority (S) mode. The latter is a semi-automatic mode, so you'll be responsible for setting both the ISO and shutter speed. A good chart for your ISO is below - 

.jpg
86dee3624ab2902d5ccc74ee0ae7ba5d.jpg
Size 85.77 KB / Downloads 11

On top of this, you'll need to set your shutter speed. This is easy enough to have a play around with, but in perfect conditions, you'll probably get away with using at an absolute maximum for moving buses. 

(08 Dec 2018, 11:55 am)EL1TE So recently I’ve got my hands on a Nikon D3300 and this morning I tested it for a few low light shots.

Not bad. Was the bus moving or static? If static, you could have probably dropped your shutter speed a bit more and still took the shot handheld, which gives you a bit more light into your shot. 

I've never taken any night shots for a while now (I really should start!), but I always found well lit places to work really well. You still got the feeling of the night shot, but the extra light helps.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

30 Dec 2018, 3:07 pm #247
[Image: 80ef9b99b4ca12c6c1058ba61315d809.jpg]

Bought a new camera today as I’ve been wanting a DSLR for some time

Sent from my iPhone XS using Tapatalk
TEN 6083
30 Dec 2018, 3:07 pm #247

[Image: 80ef9b99b4ca12c6c1058ba61315d809.jpg]

Bought a new camera today as I’ve been wanting a DSLR for some time

30 Dec 2018, 4:59 pm #248
(08 Dec 2018, 12:41 pm)Adrian Just seen this, and I think you're right in suggesting that it is you rather than the camera!  Tongue

Only saw this now, sorry for the late reply! The Streetlite was moving at the time of the photo, yes. I’m still yet to go out and attempt more low light shots, thanks for the tip about getting more light in, I’ll try to when I eventually get round to it!
EL1TE
30 Dec 2018, 4:59 pm #248

(08 Dec 2018, 12:41 pm)Adrian Just seen this, and I think you're right in suggesting that it is you rather than the camera!  Tongue

Only saw this now, sorry for the late reply! The Streetlite was moving at the time of the photo, yes. I’m still yet to go out and attempt more low light shots, thanks for the tip about getting more light in, I’ll try to when I eventually get round to it!

26 Jan 2019, 4:22 pm #249
[Image: 60133efe6e22e8d59c41129a6397582b.jpg]

[Image: 0beb007751288c297766197b2b062bfd.jpg]

Got a new lens yesterday for my DSLR, the 75-300mm one, quite impressed with it from my trip to Carlisle today. Made a bit of an error though as forgot to charge it yesterday so couldn’t use it much

TEN 6083
26 Jan 2019, 4:22 pm #249

[Image: 60133efe6e22e8d59c41129a6397582b.jpg]

Got a new lens yesterday for my DSLR, the 75-300mm one, quite impressed with it from my trip to Carlisle today. Made a bit of an error though as forgot to charge it yesterday so couldn’t use it much

Malarkey

26 Jan 2019, 7:37 pm #250
(26 Jan 2019, 4:22 pm)TEN 6083 [Image: 60133efe6e22e8d59c41129a6397582b.jpg]

You weren't the only one in Carlisle today, I was their as well and seen Dan in passing.
Malarkey
26 Jan 2019, 7:37 pm #250

(26 Jan 2019, 4:22 pm)TEN 6083 [Image: 60133efe6e22e8d59c41129a6397582b.jpg]

You weren't the only one in Carlisle today, I was their as well and seen Dan in passing.

28 Nov 2019, 4:59 pm #251
[Image: 5618d4251a8f5ca02fd9a332e4f313fa.jpg]

New camera I ordered has arrived today as my other one fell off my shoulder last week and hit the ground hard and it keeps getting error messages and jamming

TEN 6083
28 Nov 2019, 4:59 pm #251

[Image: 5618d4251a8f5ca02fd9a332e4f313fa.jpg]

New camera I ordered has arrived today as my other one fell off my shoulder last week and hit the ground hard and it keeps getting error messages and jamming

Pages (13) Previous 111 12 13

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average