Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure New technology in buses

New technology in buses

New technology in buses

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (6) Previous 14 5 6 Next
15 Sep 2019, 4:00 pm #81

(15 Sep 2019, 8:20 am)Andreos1

https://twitter.com/acsnottingham/status...02560?s=09

Ratings for operator apps.

Nobody achieved 5*

Good to see the GNE app nowhere on the list, it doesn't even deserve the 2 stars it's got!

streetdeckfan
15 Sep 2019, 4:00 pm #81

Nobody achieved 5*

Good to see the GNE app nowhere on the list, it doesn't even deserve the 2 stars it's got!

Adrian

15 Sep 2019, 4:42 pm #82

Nobody achieved 5*

Doesn't surprise me. I've yet to find a really good app yet. Most of the time I just don't trust them, as they don't fill me with confidence.

Out of the two I really use:

I've been reporting bugs in Arriva's app for over 18 months now, to no avail. Issues with phantom buses being shown as 'tracked', when they've yet to start that trip.

I've also reported data issues with GNE's app several times, also to no avail. Issues with incorrect service numbers showing, e.g. '40BD' in Durham, and also issues that the time until the bus arrives differs from Google Maps. The latter is correct, whereas the app commonly jumps from say 8 minutes to 'due'

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
15 Sep 2019, 4:42 pm #82

Nobody achieved 5*

Doesn't surprise me. I've yet to find a really good app yet. Most of the time I just don't trust them, as they don't fill me with confidence.

I've been reporting bugs in Arriva's app for over 18 months now, to no avail. Issues with phantom buses being shown as 'tracked', when they've yet to start that trip.

I've also reported data issues with GNE's app several times, also to no avail. Issues with incorrect service numbers showing, e.g. '40BD' in Durham, and also issues that the time until the bus arrives differs from Google Maps. The latter is correct, whereas the app commonly jumps from say 8 minutes to 'due'

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

15 Sep 2019, 4:45 pm #83

(15 Sep 2019, 4:42 pm)Adrian

In my experience, the most accurate way to track the bus is actually with Google Maps! Sure, it doesn't work all the time, but it's more reliable than the GNE app for sure!

The Arriva one I do actually quite like, it works for the most part except from the occasional service that doesn't show up

streetdeckfan
15 Sep 2019, 4:45 pm #83

In my experience, the most accurate way to track the bus is actually with Google Maps! Sure, it doesn't work all the time, but it's more reliable than the GNE app for sure!

The Arriva one I do actually quite like, it works for the most part except from the occasional service that doesn't show up

Dan

Site Administrator

15 Sep 2019, 5:12 pm #84

The service number issue will never be resolved in the current app - '40BD' is the service number internally, with the 'D' suffix standing for Durham.

Interesting that Go North West's app has a higher rating than the rest of the Group who use that app (EY excluded).

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Dan
15 Sep 2019, 5:12 pm #84

The service number issue will never be resolved in the current app - '40BD' is the service number internally, with the 'D' suffix standing for Durham.

Interesting that Go North West's app has a higher rating than the rest of the Group who use that app (EY excluded).

15 Sep 2019, 6:03 pm #85

(15 Sep 2019, 5:12 pm)Dan The service number issue will never be resolved in the current app - '40BD' is the service number internally, with the 'D' suffix standing for Durham.

I'd imagine it's because there's less installs and less buses to track. If you read the reviews, the same issues are there

streetdeckfan
15 Sep 2019, 6:03 pm #85

(15 Sep 2019, 5:12 pm)Dan The service number issue will never be resolved in the current app - '40BD' is the service number internally, with the 'D' suffix standing for Durham.

I'd imagine it's because there's less installs and less buses to track. If you read the reviews, the same issues are there

Jimmi

15 Sep 2019, 9:25 pm #86

The tracking on some of them higher rated apps on that list are dire from my experiences (particularly Borders Buses, EYMS and Transdev Go which are pretty much the same) usually open it and if nothing is there at the exact point you are you have little luck at finding the bus on the app, zoom out and nothing appears and you get loss of connection message pop up, gave up using those three for that and often just look on BusTimes if I want to locate a particular bus on a certain route.
Jimmi
15 Sep 2019, 9:25 pm #86

The tracking on some of them higher rated apps on that list are dire from my experiences (particularly Borders Buses, EYMS and Transdev Go which are pretty much the same) usually open it and if nothing is there at the exact point you are you have little luck at finding the bus on the app, zoom out and nothing appears and you get loss of connection message pop up, gave up using those three for that and often just look on BusTimes if I want to locate a particular bus on a certain route.

Rob44

16 Sep 2019, 6:21 pm #87
When I used the arriva appt regularly where I used to live i never ever had any issues with it. In fact it was so accurate I could sometime get an extra pint in the club , neck it and still catch the bus. Now this GNE one, where do i start............. the one that comes to mind is clicking on the bus stop i'm heading to and it says bus in 10 minutes, tracked. Get there and it says arrive in 7 minutes............. as it pulls away from the bus stop! I did tweet GNE to ask if the bus stops were accurate ( the bus left 3 minutes early by my watch too) and they couldn't give me a straight answer . Plus the bus i missed wasn't tracking visually on the appt but then appeared near Salisbury at the team valley about 10 minutes later!
Rob44
16 Sep 2019, 6:21 pm #87

When I used the arriva appt regularly where I used to live i never ever had any issues with it. In fact it was so accurate I could sometime get an extra pint in the club , neck it and still catch the bus. Now this GNE one, where do i start............. the one that comes to mind is clicking on the bus stop i'm heading to and it says bus in 10 minutes, tracked. Get there and it says arrive in 7 minutes............. as it pulls away from the bus stop! I did tweet GNE to ask if the bus stops were accurate ( the bus left 3 minutes early by my watch too) and they couldn't give me a straight answer . Plus the bus i missed wasn't tracking visually on the appt but then appeared near Salisbury at the team valley about 10 minutes later!

17 Sep 2019, 12:28 pm #88

(16 Sep 2019, 6:21 pm)Rob44 When I used the arriva appt regularly where I used to live i never ever had any issues with it. In fact it was so accurate I could sometime get an extra pint in the club , neck it and still catch the bus. Now this GNE one, where do i start............. the one that comes to mind is clicking on the bus stop i'm heading to and it says bus in 10 minutes, tracked. Get there and it says arrive in 7 minutes............. as it pulls away from the bus stop! I did tweet GNE to ask if the bus stops were accurate ( the bus left 3 minutes early by my watch too) and they couldn't give me a straight answer . Plus the bus i missed wasn't tracking visually on the appt but then appeared near Salisbury at the team valley about 10 minutes later!

I've been reporting issues with the GNE app since it first launched, and I keep getting the generic responses of 'I'll pass it on to the developers' or more recently 'It'll be fixed in the next update', but after several updates, the issues persist.

I once had to catch the southbound X21 from Fram, and the GNE app said I still had 9 minutes for the bus, so I walked to the stop and the informations screen said the same as the app. I waited 15 minutes and no bus turned up, so I checked the app again and it was apparently departing Durham in less than a minute, but still said 5 minutes in Fram!

That wouldn't have been such an issue if the southbound X21s actually showed up on the tracker, but since the changes in May, they haven't.

streetdeckfan
17 Sep 2019, 12:28 pm #88

(16 Sep 2019, 6:21 pm)Rob44 When I used the arriva appt regularly where I used to live i never ever had any issues with it. In fact it was so accurate I could sometime get an extra pint in the club , neck it and still catch the bus. Now this GNE one, where do i start............. the one that comes to mind is clicking on the bus stop i'm heading to and it says bus in 10 minutes, tracked. Get there and it says arrive in 7 minutes............. as it pulls away from the bus stop! I did tweet GNE to ask if the bus stops were accurate ( the bus left 3 minutes early by my watch too) and they couldn't give me a straight answer . Plus the bus i missed wasn't tracking visually on the appt but then appeared near Salisbury at the team valley about 10 minutes later!

I've been reporting issues with the GNE app since it first launched, and I keep getting the generic responses of 'I'll pass it on to the developers' or more recently 'It'll be fixed in the next update', but after several updates, the issues persist.

I once had to catch the southbound X21 from Fram, and the GNE app said I still had 9 minutes for the bus, so I walked to the stop and the informations screen said the same as the app. I waited 15 minutes and no bus turned up, so I checked the app again and it was apparently departing Durham in less than a minute, but still said 5 minutes in Fram!

That wouldn't have been such an issue if the southbound X21s actually showed up on the tracker, but since the changes in May, they haven't.

Rob44

21 Sep 2019, 7:18 am #89

(17 Sep 2019, 12:28 pm)streetdeckfan

Glad im not the only one having problems with it.

Rob44
21 Sep 2019, 7:18 am #89

(17 Sep 2019, 12:28 pm)streetdeckfan

21 Sep 2019, 3:44 pm #90

(21 Sep 2019, 7:18 am)Rob44

Judging by the 2.7 star on the Google Play store and 1.9 star on the App store, I'm guessing everyone else has issues with the app as well!

streetdeckfan
21 Sep 2019, 3:44 pm #90

(21 Sep 2019, 7:18 am)Rob44

Judging by the 2.7 star on the Google Play store and 1.9 star on the App store, I'm guessing everyone else has issues with the app as well!

Rob44

15 Oct 2019, 8:24 am #92
You are forgiven Andreos1 but don't let it happen again!
Rob44
15 Oct 2019, 8:24 am #92

You are forgiven Andreos1 but don't let it happen again!

15 Oct 2019, 11:28 am #93

(15 Oct 2019, 8:09 am)Andreos1

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10127410/bus-passenger-tfl-apple-pay-iphone-battery/amp/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebarweb&__twitter_impression=true

Hardly seems fare!

Apologies for using that specific source.

She would have seen that her battery was about to die, and used her contactless card rather than her phone. It's her own fault really.

This is the reason why I hate the fact that the 5to25 tickets are only available on the app, and why I'm still paying the £95 a month instead of £68.

As someone who can go through a full charge in half a day, it's not worth the the risk

streetdeckfan
15 Oct 2019, 11:28 am #93

(15 Oct 2019, 8:09 am)Andreos1

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10127410/bus-passenger-tfl-apple-pay-iphone-battery/amp/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebarweb&__twitter_impression=true

Hardly seems fare!

Apologies for using that specific source.

She would have seen that her battery was about to die, and used her contactless card rather than her phone. It's her own fault really.

This is the reason why I hate the fact that the 5to25 tickets are only available on the app, and why I'm still paying the £95 a month instead of £68.

As someone who can go through a full charge in half a day, it's not worth the the risk

XUP254F

18 Oct 2019, 8:17 am #94

As long as you don't mind the extra weight you can invest in a external power bank. A 20000mAh one is £20-30 on Amazon and gives the equivalent of around 5x or more full phone charges. I would never travel without one.

XUP254F
18 Oct 2019, 8:17 am #94

As long as you don't mind the extra weight you can invest in a external power bank. A 20000mAh one is £20-30 on Amazon and gives the equivalent of around 5x or more full phone charges. I would never travel without one.

Storx

17 May 2020, 4:35 pm #95
(17 May 2020, 1:35 pm)streetdeckfan Technologically, a basic NSA system shouldn't be that expensive, it's essentially just a GPS activated PowerPoint presentation (I know there's more to it than that, but let's be real, not that much more)
You could in theory make one with a Raspberry Pi, a GPS antenna, a monitor and speaker, and a bit of coding knowledge (I might actually give that a go one day). I'm surprised there isn't a start up company selling the whole system fairly cheap

I've always been surprised at how bad most bus technology is really. If someone really wanted too you could create a system which controls a ticket machine, NSA's and the destination display altogether and do it all via the internet and a internal database on the vehicle (incase you lose connection) which downloads when it can as a fallback. There is obviously a system there already for the ticket machine anyway.

Then you could automatically update stuff and push messages through to the NSA such as, we would like to apoligise but there is an accident at X, this bus will be delayed or please be aware that x is closed between the 5th May and 11th May and we will not be stopping at this stop by using an automated text to voice system. Another thing you could do is change the destination depending where you are to remove via points. There's lots of things which you could do realistically do to improve the experience for bus users.

For the system the easiest way I'd guess would be to use LAT and LNG points and just check which one is the closest and announce that as the next stop until you get to a certain radius say within 100m where it announces this is x. Once the distance increases from that point it will announce the next stop and repeat. If you used the internet to do it, you could do stuff like displaying connections at stops such as the stand and times for the X66 at Gateshead and also do This bus is not stopping at X, please alight here for X.

In theory if someone did a decent system it should take minutes to update but I'm guessing it's not like that at all.
Storx
17 May 2020, 4:35 pm #95

(17 May 2020, 1:35 pm)streetdeckfan Technologically, a basic NSA system shouldn't be that expensive, it's essentially just a GPS activated PowerPoint presentation (I know there's more to it than that, but let's be real, not that much more)
You could in theory make one with a Raspberry Pi, a GPS antenna, a monitor and speaker, and a bit of coding knowledge (I might actually give that a go one day). I'm surprised there isn't a start up company selling the whole system fairly cheap

I've always been surprised at how bad most bus technology is really. If someone really wanted too you could create a system which controls a ticket machine, NSA's and the destination display altogether and do it all via the internet and a internal database on the vehicle (incase you lose connection) which downloads when it can as a fallback. There is obviously a system there already for the ticket machine anyway.

Then you could automatically update stuff and push messages through to the NSA such as, we would like to apoligise but there is an accident at X, this bus will be delayed or please be aware that x is closed between the 5th May and 11th May and we will not be stopping at this stop by using an automated text to voice system. Another thing you could do is change the destination depending where you are to remove via points. There's lots of things which you could do realistically do to improve the experience for bus users.

For the system the easiest way I'd guess would be to use LAT and LNG points and just check which one is the closest and announce that as the next stop until you get to a certain radius say within 100m where it announces this is x. Once the distance increases from that point it will announce the next stop and repeat. If you used the internet to do it, you could do stuff like displaying connections at stops such as the stand and times for the X66 at Gateshead and also do This bus is not stopping at X, please alight here for X.

In theory if someone did a decent system it should take minutes to update but I'm guessing it's not like that at all.

17 May 2020, 6:18 pm #96
(17 May 2020, 4:35 pm)Storx I've always been surprised at how bad most bus technology is really. If someone really wanted too you could create a system which controls a ticket machine, NSA's and the destination display altogether and do it all via the internet and a internal database on the vehicle (incase you lose connection) which downloads when it can as a fallback. There is obviously a system there already for the ticket machine anyway.

I mean, all the data for the stops is already there on Google (IIRC, it's all open so is available to use), so it would really just be a case of developing the announcement platform, which to me doesn't seem that difficult. 
Even using Google or Amazon's TTS would sound alright for the announcement instead of having to pay for the voiceovers.
I'm genuinely considering giving it a go now.

Might be worth starting a new thread and continuing this discussion over there
streetdeckfan
17 May 2020, 6:18 pm #96

(17 May 2020, 4:35 pm)Storx I've always been surprised at how bad most bus technology is really. If someone really wanted too you could create a system which controls a ticket machine, NSA's and the destination display altogether and do it all via the internet and a internal database on the vehicle (incase you lose connection) which downloads when it can as a fallback. There is obviously a system there already for the ticket machine anyway.

I mean, all the data for the stops is already there on Google (IIRC, it's all open so is available to use), so it would really just be a case of developing the announcement platform, which to me doesn't seem that difficult. 
Even using Google or Amazon's TTS would sound alright for the announcement instead of having to pay for the voiceovers.
I'm genuinely considering giving it a go now.

Might be worth starting a new thread and continuing this discussion over there

08 Jul 2020, 1:01 pm #97
First time I've been on an Arriva bus with NSA for quite a while now, and I forgot how awful the sound is on them!

A combination of the volume being far too low, the lady sounding like she was whispering when recording it, and the constant rattling and creeking of an E400 make it basically impossible to understand, the fact that the displays are about as dim as the average Green voter doesnt help!

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
streetdeckfan
08 Jul 2020, 1:01 pm #97

First time I've been on an Arriva bus with NSA for quite a while now, and I forgot how awful the sound is on them!

A combination of the volume being far too low, the lady sounding like she was whispering when recording it, and the constant rattling and creeking of an E400 make it basically impossible to understand, the fact that the displays are about as dim as the average Green voter doesnt help!

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Andreos1

21 Jul 2020, 9:49 am #98
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020...tents/made

Details of upcoming changes from the end of the year onwards.
Those who used it as some sort of marketing spin or as part of a game of one upmanship, may need to find an alternative strategy.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
21 Jul 2020, 9:49 am #98

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020...tents/made

Details of upcoming changes from the end of the year onwards.
Those who used it as some sort of marketing spin or as part of a game of one upmanship, may need to find an alternative strategy.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

ne14ne1

25 Jul 2020, 5:03 pm #99
Setting up this thread for any onboard tech chat. 
I’m quite interested in tech, customer information systems etc. I was pleased to see from recent YouTube videos that the open toppers were loaded with next stop announcements for normal routes, for when they’ve been out on the 21, 56 etc. 

With major changes in Gateshead Town Centre starting next week to improve pedestrian, cycling & bus priorities, buses towards Newcastle will be moved from Hills Street to Askew Road. I’m guessing a bus stop will be in place on Askew Road, taking the place of the one on Hills Street. I wonder if GNE roll out an update to the NSAs, at least to the vehicles that can be updated wirelessly to begin with.
ne14ne1
25 Jul 2020, 5:03 pm #99

Setting up this thread for any onboard tech chat. 
I’m quite interested in tech, customer information systems etc. I was pleased to see from recent YouTube videos that the open toppers were loaded with next stop announcements for normal routes, for when they’ve been out on the 21, 56 etc. 

With major changes in Gateshead Town Centre starting next week to improve pedestrian, cycling & bus priorities, buses towards Newcastle will be moved from Hills Street to Askew Road. I’m guessing a bus stop will be in place on Askew Road, taking the place of the one on Hills Street. I wonder if GNE roll out an update to the NSAs, at least to the vehicles that can be updated wirelessly to begin with.

Pages (6) Previous 14 5 6 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average