Menu

North East Buses The Canteen General off-topic chat Whats made you happy today?

Whats made you happy today?

Whats made you happy today?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (203) Previous 1130 131 132203 Next
04 Aug 2015, 4:57 pm #2,601
I'm in the midst of typing up my review from my outing today, but as I do that on Word Document and can browse the forum at the same time, I'll chip in with this discussion.

Like I've said many times before, my interest in the hobby first peaked when I was a young boy. I'd get the bus regularly with my grandad, and looking back, I consider those to be my best memories of him. I wasn't interested in it through primary school, but in Year 7 when I started secondary education, my interest came back. It was a mixture of stumbling across an episode of On the Buses while I was looking for something to watch on the television, and the very smart red double deckers that Go North East allocated to the scholars services at my school. What really got me back into it, was the arrival of the ''Angel'' Geminis in October 2012. Since then, I've gone out nearly every Saturday. At first, it was just from Chester-le-Street to Pelton (when my grandad was still alive) but now it has expanded to many places in the region. 

When my grandad passed away last March, which still shocks me now as it was so sudden, I went into a bit of downwards spiral, and found myself getting down about just about everything. Looking back, I think that period of time was a brief phase of some sort of teenage depression. However, somehow my Saturday outings managed to take my mind off it, and now I'd say I am over his death, and can look back on the memories I shared with him. I'd say the hobby really helped me get over it. 

Lee mentioned school, I have to say, I've never had any real problems at school with my hobby. I used to help teachers on seasonal open evenings by providing bus timetables for the local area, which in turn, made us look very good as a school. Unfortunately they then got a Service Delivery Manager from Chester-le-Street, and I was sacked. I can't even recall how people became aware of my interest. At first, I think it was because I saved all of my tickets from the journeys to and from school. I also had a good knowledge of the local bus services, which came in handy when people needed to know things. I believe the reasons I've never had any problems about it, is because I'm open about my hobby and don't hide it, and I can be helpful when people need to know things.

As for the ''higher up'' enthusiasts; the only way they are higher up is up their own backsides. I believe it is a case of a lot of older enthusiasts having the impression that the younger generation are ''cocky, rude, and think they know everything'' sorts of people, while I think the younger enthusiasts view the older generation as pretty similar. I don't know why there is such a divide. You'd think with such a low-key hobby like this, people would be willing to all get on. You probably have that in football as well though; the older fans probably look at younger fans as hooligans, while all they want to do is watch the match. Just ignore what the people who don't get on with you say, and do what you want to do with your free time.

The oldest enthusiast I think I speak to on a regular basis would probably be Adrian, so it shows I'm really more associative with younger enthusiasts such as Dan, Lee, Adam and others. Then again, I'm quite picky with the people I go on outings with. If you are invited to join me, you're doing well. Tongue
R852 PRG
04 Aug 2015, 4:57 pm #2,601

I'm in the midst of typing up my review from my outing today, but as I do that on Word Document and can browse the forum at the same time, I'll chip in with this discussion.

Like I've said many times before, my interest in the hobby first peaked when I was a young boy. I'd get the bus regularly with my grandad, and looking back, I consider those to be my best memories of him. I wasn't interested in it through primary school, but in Year 7 when I started secondary education, my interest came back. It was a mixture of stumbling across an episode of On the Buses while I was looking for something to watch on the television, and the very smart red double deckers that Go North East allocated to the scholars services at my school. What really got me back into it, was the arrival of the ''Angel'' Geminis in October 2012. Since then, I've gone out nearly every Saturday. At first, it was just from Chester-le-Street to Pelton (when my grandad was still alive) but now it has expanded to many places in the region. 

When my grandad passed away last March, which still shocks me now as it was so sudden, I went into a bit of downwards spiral, and found myself getting down about just about everything. Looking back, I think that period of time was a brief phase of some sort of teenage depression. However, somehow my Saturday outings managed to take my mind off it, and now I'd say I am over his death, and can look back on the memories I shared with him. I'd say the hobby really helped me get over it. 

Lee mentioned school, I have to say, I've never had any real problems at school with my hobby. I used to help teachers on seasonal open evenings by providing bus timetables for the local area, which in turn, made us look very good as a school. Unfortunately they then got a Service Delivery Manager from Chester-le-Street, and I was sacked. I can't even recall how people became aware of my interest. At first, I think it was because I saved all of my tickets from the journeys to and from school. I also had a good knowledge of the local bus services, which came in handy when people needed to know things. I believe the reasons I've never had any problems about it, is because I'm open about my hobby and don't hide it, and I can be helpful when people need to know things.

As for the ''higher up'' enthusiasts; the only way they are higher up is up their own backsides. I believe it is a case of a lot of older enthusiasts having the impression that the younger generation are ''cocky, rude, and think they know everything'' sorts of people, while I think the younger enthusiasts view the older generation as pretty similar. I don't know why there is such a divide. You'd think with such a low-key hobby like this, people would be willing to all get on. You probably have that in football as well though; the older fans probably look at younger fans as hooligans, while all they want to do is watch the match. Just ignore what the people who don't get on with you say, and do what you want to do with your free time.

The oldest enthusiast I think I speak to on a regular basis would probably be Adrian, so it shows I'm really more associative with younger enthusiasts such as Dan, Lee, Adam and others. Then again, I'm quite picky with the people I go on outings with. If you are invited to join me, you're doing well. Tongue

Jimmi

04 Aug 2015, 5:02 pm #2,602
(04 Aug 2015, 4:57 pm)R852 PRG The oldest enthusiast I think I speak to on a regular basis would probably be Adrian, so it shows I'm really more associative with younger enthusiasts such as Dan, Lee, Adam and others. Then again, I'm quite picky with the people I go on outings with. If you are invited to join me, you're doing well. Tongue

Where have I gone wrong not to get an invite on one of your outings recently? Tongue
Jimmi
04 Aug 2015, 5:02 pm #2,602

(04 Aug 2015, 4:57 pm)R852 PRG The oldest enthusiast I think I speak to on a regular basis would probably be Adrian, so it shows I'm really more associative with younger enthusiasts such as Dan, Lee, Adam and others. Then again, I'm quite picky with the people I go on outings with. If you are invited to join me, you're doing well. Tongue

Where have I gone wrong not to get an invite on one of your outings recently? Tongue

Dan

Site Administrator

04 Aug 2015, 5:03 pm #2,603
(04 Aug 2015, 4:18 pm)aureolin So come on. Million Pound question: What determines whether or not you're a "highly respected" enthusiast? 

It seems to be, that if you've taken pictures or been around since the year dot, then you automatically command respect from the entire hobby. I've never understood it, and probably never will. I've always just taken each individual as I find them, and if they're alright with me, then they'll always get that mutual respect back. Respect is something that is earned though, and not something that is accumulated or inherited.

Relatively new to the scene, I was once told that I ought to respect enthusiasts who have been on the scene taking photographs for more years than I've been on this planet. I was shunned when I suggested that respect is something that had to be earned, and it was also a two-way street.

Having been in many arguments with just about every Tom, Dick and Harry over the last three years or so, I've learned that it's best in this hobby to chill out and don't let any comments offend you. Like you, if someone is nice enough with me, I'll be nice enough with them. If someone's even civil, I'll be civil back. If someone's an arsehole, then I'll try my best to ignore them!

Life's too short to care about this "hierarchy of bus enthusiasts" - it's a concept designed to boost the egos of some while making others feel a hundred times worse.
Dan
04 Aug 2015, 5:03 pm #2,603

(04 Aug 2015, 4:18 pm)aureolin So come on. Million Pound question: What determines whether or not you're a "highly respected" enthusiast? 

It seems to be, that if you've taken pictures or been around since the year dot, then you automatically command respect from the entire hobby. I've never understood it, and probably never will. I've always just taken each individual as I find them, and if they're alright with me, then they'll always get that mutual respect back. Respect is something that is earned though, and not something that is accumulated or inherited.

Relatively new to the scene, I was once told that I ought to respect enthusiasts who have been on the scene taking photographs for more years than I've been on this planet. I was shunned when I suggested that respect is something that had to be earned, and it was also a two-way street.

Having been in many arguments with just about every Tom, Dick and Harry over the last three years or so, I've learned that it's best in this hobby to chill out and don't let any comments offend you. Like you, if someone is nice enough with me, I'll be nice enough with them. If someone's even civil, I'll be civil back. If someone's an arsehole, then I'll try my best to ignore them!

Life's too short to care about this "hierarchy of bus enthusiasts" - it's a concept designed to boost the egos of some while making others feel a hundred times worse.

LeeCalder

04 Aug 2015, 5:11 pm #2,604

I must be doing well then Big Grin
LeeCalder
04 Aug 2015, 5:11 pm #2,604

I must be doing well then Big Grin

Adrian

04 Aug 2015, 5:38 pm #2,605
(04 Aug 2015, 5:02 pm)Jimmi Where have I gone wrong not to get an invite on one of your outings recently? Tongue

I'd have invited you, but you'd probably blank me again... Wink

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
04 Aug 2015, 5:38 pm #2,605

(04 Aug 2015, 5:02 pm)Jimmi Where have I gone wrong not to get an invite on one of your outings recently? Tongue

I'd have invited you, but you'd probably blank me again... Wink

Jimmi

04 Aug 2015, 5:40 pm #2,606
(04 Aug 2015, 5:38 pm)aureolin I'd have invited you, but you'd probably blank me again... Wink
When have I blanked you?

I admit I wasn't very talkative when I last saw you at the Whitley Bay Rally. Didn't feel right that day.
Edited 04 Aug 2015, 5:40 pm by Jimmi.
Jimmi
04 Aug 2015, 5:40 pm #2,606

(04 Aug 2015, 5:38 pm)aureolin I'd have invited you, but you'd probably blank me again... Wink
When have I blanked you?

I admit I wasn't very talkative when I last saw you at the Whitley Bay Rally. Didn't feel right that day.

Adrian

04 Aug 2015, 5:46 pm #2,607
(04 Aug 2015, 5:40 pm)Jimmi When have I blanked you?

Only jesting man! Smile

Although I got on the same Streetdeck as you on it's first day out, and then bumped into you at Haymarket that same day, so I'm doing well if you didn't see me haha.

Adrian
04 Aug 2015, 5:46 pm #2,607

(04 Aug 2015, 5:40 pm)Jimmi When have I blanked you?

Only jesting man! Smile

Although I got on the same Streetdeck as you on it's first day out, and then bumped into you at Haymarket that same day, so I'm doing well if you didn't see me haha.

Jimmi

04 Aug 2015, 5:48 pm #2,608
(04 Aug 2015, 5:46 pm)aureolin Only jesting man! Smile

Something must be wrong if I didn't see you that day as I was sat just behind you.
Jimmi
04 Aug 2015, 5:48 pm #2,608

(04 Aug 2015, 5:46 pm)aureolin Only jesting man! Smile

Something must be wrong if I didn't see you that day as I was sat just behind you.

04 Aug 2015, 6:44 pm #2,609
I'm never social Tongue

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Rapidsnap
04 Aug 2015, 6:44 pm #2,609

I'm never social Tongue

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

04 Aug 2015, 7:46 pm #2,610
Respect is something to be earned, nobody should demand respect without show a bit of it themselves...

Some need to extract there head from there ringpiece, there is some arseholes around who will never get that...
MrFozz
04 Aug 2015, 7:46 pm #2,610

Respect is something to be earned, nobody should demand respect without show a bit of it themselves...

Some need to extract there head from there ringpiece, there is some arseholes around who will never get that...

BusLoverMum

05 Aug 2015, 2:57 pm #2,611
My youngest, who has very limited speech, is in fits of giggles, imitating the NSA's on the 22 Big Grin
BusLoverMum
05 Aug 2015, 2:57 pm #2,611

My youngest, who has very limited speech, is in fits of giggles, imitating the NSA's on the 22 Big Grin

Davie

Banned

05 Aug 2015, 3:22 pm #2,612
The conversation on the Go North East latest news and disscussion thread about citaros is great.
Davie
05 Aug 2015, 3:22 pm #2,612

The conversation on the Go North East latest news and disscussion thread about citaros is great.

05 Aug 2015, 3:23 pm #2,613
(05 Aug 2015, 3:22 pm)Davie The conversation on the Go North East latest news and disscussion thread about citaros is great.

Eh?  Huh
omnicity4659
05 Aug 2015, 3:23 pm #2,613

(05 Aug 2015, 3:22 pm)Davie The conversation on the Go North East latest news and disscussion thread about citaros is great.

Eh?  Huh

05 Aug 2015, 3:32 pm #2,614

Just like any other guessing game, if you ask me.
R852 PRG
05 Aug 2015, 3:32 pm #2,614

Just like any other guessing game, if you ask me.

Dan

Site Administrator

05 Aug 2015, 5:21 pm #2,615
(05 Aug 2015, 2:57 pm)BusLoverMum My youngest, who has very limited speech, is in fits of giggles, imitating the NSA's on the 22 Big Grin

I have a colleague, much older than myself, who also likes to imitate Next Stop Announcement audio. It's fair to say that he isn't particularly limited in speech, though.
Dan
05 Aug 2015, 5:21 pm #2,615

(05 Aug 2015, 2:57 pm)BusLoverMum My youngest, who has very limited speech, is in fits of giggles, imitating the NSA's on the 22 Big Grin

I have a colleague, much older than myself, who also likes to imitate Next Stop Announcement audio. It's fair to say that he isn't particularly limited in speech, though.

05 Aug 2015, 10:20 pm #2,616
(05 Aug 2015, 5:21 pm)Dan I have a colleague, much older than myself, who also likes to imitate Next Stop Announcement audio. It's fair to say that he isn't particularly limited in speech, though.

Ouseburn Valley!  Rolleyes
R852 PRG
05 Aug 2015, 10:20 pm #2,616

(05 Aug 2015, 5:21 pm)Dan I have a colleague, much older than myself, who also likes to imitate Next Stop Announcement audio. It's fair to say that he isn't particularly limited in speech, though.

Ouseburn Valley!  Rolleyes

Michael

06 Aug 2015, 5:44 pm #2,617
Being accepted at Newcastle for my level 6 in childcare. Big Grin

Also a job interview on Tuesday!

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
06 Aug 2015, 5:44 pm #2,617

Being accepted at Newcastle for my level 6 in childcare. Big Grin

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Jimmi

06 Aug 2015, 7:17 pm #2,618
Here is one of my rare postings in this thread that isn't a reply to someone else's comments.

Been out for a meal this evening, nowt special just an all day breakfast for me.
Jimmi
06 Aug 2015, 7:17 pm #2,618

Here is one of my rare postings in this thread that isn't a reply to someone else's comments.

Been out for a meal this evening, nowt special just an all day breakfast for me.

Davie

Banned

06 Aug 2015, 7:52 pm #2,619
(06 Aug 2015, 5:44 pm)Michael Being accepted at Newcastle for my level 6 in childcare. Big Grin

Good luck Michael!
Davie
06 Aug 2015, 7:52 pm #2,619

(06 Aug 2015, 5:44 pm)Michael Being accepted at Newcastle for my level 6 in childcare. Big Grin

Good luck Michael!

Michael

06 Aug 2015, 7:58 pm #2,620
(06 Aug 2015, 7:52 pm)Davie Good luck Michael!

Thanks Davie Big Grin

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
06 Aug 2015, 7:58 pm #2,620

(06 Aug 2015, 7:52 pm)Davie Good luck Michael!

Thanks Davie Big Grin

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Pages (203) Previous 1130 131 132203 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average