Menu

North East Buses The Canteen General off-topic chat Whats made you happy today?

Whats made you happy today?

Whats made you happy today?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (203) Previous 1191 192 193203 Next
13 Feb 2017, 4:34 pm #3,821
(13 Feb 2017, 4:29 pm)Michael Nice, well done, first step in to the real world!, but it all goes down hill from the moment you leave school Tongue

Thanks Smile , Nice to stray away from school after all those years being in it. Downhill? I'm dying to leave school haha

My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile
South Tyne Lad
13 Feb 2017, 4:34 pm #3,821

(13 Feb 2017, 4:29 pm)Michael Nice, well done, first step in to the real world!, but it all goes down hill from the moment you leave school Tongue

Thanks Smile , Nice to stray away from school after all those years being in it. Downhill? I'm dying to leave school haha

My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile

Jamie M

Unregistered

13 Feb 2017, 4:35 pm #3,822
(13 Feb 2017, 4:34 pm)South Tyne Lad Thanks Smile , Nice to stray away from school after all those years being in it. Downhill? I'm dying to leave school haha
You'll be dying to go back after!
Jamie M
13 Feb 2017, 4:35 pm #3,822

(13 Feb 2017, 4:34 pm)South Tyne Lad Thanks Smile , Nice to stray away from school after all those years being in it. Downhill? I'm dying to leave school haha
You'll be dying to go back after!

Michael

13 Feb 2017, 4:38 pm #3,823
(13 Feb 2017, 4:34 pm)South Tyne Lad Thanks  Smile , Nice to stray away from school after all those years being in it.  Downhill? I'm dying to leave school haha

Jamie's post is 100% true.

Once you get in to work and those long days happen, you'll want to go back.... although i do love my job...

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
13 Feb 2017, 4:38 pm #3,823

(13 Feb 2017, 4:34 pm)South Tyne Lad Thanks  Smile , Nice to stray away from school after all those years being in it.  Downhill? I'm dying to leave school haha

Jamie's post is 100% true.

Once you get in to work and those long days happen, you'll want to go back.... although i do love my job...

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

13 Feb 2017, 4:38 pm #3,824
(13 Feb 2017, 4:35 pm)Jamie M You'll be dying to go back after!

Haha, My Mam and Dad were saying the same! Still looking forward to doing something different.

(13 Feb 2017, 4:38 pm)Michael Jamie's post is 100% true.

The shift ill be on is apparently 7am-3pm, And that involves a Metro and a 22 to get there... I'm thinking I might have to catch the first metro of the morning at 6:01 every day, Which is going to be torture...
Edited 13 Feb 2017, 4:40 pm by South Tyne Lad.

South Tyne Lad
13 Feb 2017, 4:38 pm #3,824

(13 Feb 2017, 4:35 pm)Jamie M You'll be dying to go back after!

Haha, My Mam and Dad were saying the same! Still looking forward to doing something different.

(13 Feb 2017, 4:38 pm)Michael Jamie's post is 100% true.

The shift ill be on is apparently 7am-3pm, And that involves a Metro and a 22 to get there... I'm thinking I might have to catch the first metro of the morning at 6:01 every day, Which is going to be torture...

Michael

13 Feb 2017, 4:46 pm #3,825
(13 Feb 2017, 4:38 pm)South Tyne Lad Haha, My Mam and Dad were saying the same!  Still looking forward to doing something different.

Only down fall to working, i get the 6:25am bus when i start 7:30am, means i'm up at 5:15am-5:30am, i have to get the bus because i can't afford to learn to drive at the minute.

It's defiantly different, we get a lot of work experience where i work and they don't realise how much work we actually do, however work experience/students can't do much in the area i work, due to safeguarding etc but it'll be the same for everyone in some sort....

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
13 Feb 2017, 4:46 pm #3,825

(13 Feb 2017, 4:38 pm)South Tyne Lad Haha, My Mam and Dad were saying the same!  Still looking forward to doing something different.

Only down fall to working, i get the 6:25am bus when i start 7:30am, means i'm up at 5:15am-5:30am, i have to get the bus because i can't afford to learn to drive at the minute.

It's defiantly different, we get a lot of work experience where i work and they don't realise how much work we actually do, however work experience/students can't do much in the area i work, due to safeguarding etc but it'll be the same for everyone in some sort....

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Jamie M

Unregistered

13 Feb 2017, 4:46 pm #3,826
(13 Feb 2017, 4:38 pm)South Tyne Lad Haha, My Mam and Dad were saying the same! Still looking forward to doing something different.

Are you still on Nexus CATs? I wouldn't dare pay for either metro or stagecoach haha, rather cycle. More comfy, too!
I never bothered with Network 1 tickets, either. They're pricey and the zones are random.
Jamie M
13 Feb 2017, 4:46 pm #3,826

(13 Feb 2017, 4:38 pm)South Tyne Lad Haha, My Mam and Dad were saying the same! Still looking forward to doing something different.

Are you still on Nexus CATs? I wouldn't dare pay for either metro or stagecoach haha, rather cycle. More comfy, too!
I never bothered with Network 1 tickets, either. They're pricey and the zones are random.

13 Feb 2017, 4:54 pm #3,827
(13 Feb 2017, 4:46 pm)Michael Only down fall to working, i get the 6:25am bus when i start 7:30am, means i'm up at 5:15am-5:30am, i have to get the bus because i can't afford to learn to drive at the minute.

Ill probably have to get up around 4:45, As I like to take my time getting ready on a morning rather than rushing.

Using the first metro of the morning daily will be strange, Ive used it a few times on outings on a Saturday but not daily, Half of the passengers are fast asleep too! Definitely different to getting it during the day.

(13 Feb 2017, 4:46 pm)Jamie M Are you still on Nexus CATs? I wouldn't dare pay for either metro or stagecoach haha, rather cycle. More comfy, too!

Aye I am, Still £1.10 for a CAT Day ticket.

I normally use my bike to School and back each day, Which is around 6 miles altogether but to Heaton and back from Brockely Whins is a no go haha.

South Tyne Lad
13 Feb 2017, 4:54 pm #3,827

(13 Feb 2017, 4:46 pm)Michael Only down fall to working, i get the 6:25am bus when i start 7:30am, means i'm up at 5:15am-5:30am, i have to get the bus because i can't afford to learn to drive at the minute.

Ill probably have to get up around 4:45, As I like to take my time getting ready on a morning rather than rushing.

Using the first metro of the morning daily will be strange, Ive used it a few times on outings on a Saturday but not daily, Half of the passengers are fast asleep too! Definitely different to getting it during the day.

(13 Feb 2017, 4:46 pm)Jamie M Are you still on Nexus CATs? I wouldn't dare pay for either metro or stagecoach haha, rather cycle. More comfy, too!

Aye I am, Still £1.10 for a CAT Day ticket.

I normally use my bike to School and back each day, Which is around 6 miles altogether but to Heaton and back from Brockely Whins is a no go haha.

Tom

13 Feb 2017, 4:58 pm #3,828

Well done! Will be a good and interesting experience especially as it's something you like, annoying we didn't get any work experience in our school.

You could get the metro to Chillingham Road if it's easier and the 11 which goes the same route as the 22 -  the 22 will make you late guaranteed! Hope you like it Smile
Tom
13 Feb 2017, 4:58 pm #3,828

Well done! Will be a good and interesting experience especially as it's something you like, annoying we didn't get any work experience in our school.

You could get the metro to Chillingham Road if it's easier and the 11 which goes the same route as the 22 -  the 22 will make you late guaranteed! Hope you like it Smile

13 Feb 2017, 5:01 pm #3,829
(13 Feb 2017, 4:58 pm)Tom Well done! Will be a good and interesting experience especially as it's something you like, annoying we didn't get any work experience in our school.

Cheers Tom, Looking forward to it a lot.

Its a shame not all schools offer it, As I guess it learns you the basics of the job before you leave school.

Aye I could, Ill look into it a bit more to see which ones easiest, Is there any 11's at that time?

South Tyne Lad
13 Feb 2017, 5:01 pm #3,829

(13 Feb 2017, 4:58 pm)Tom Well done! Will be a good and interesting experience especially as it's something you like, annoying we didn't get any work experience in our school.

Cheers Tom, Looking forward to it a lot.

Its a shame not all schools offer it, As I guess it learns you the basics of the job before you leave school.

Aye I could, Ill look into it a bit more to see which ones easiest, Is there any 11's at that time?

Jamie M

Unregistered

13 Feb 2017, 5:06 pm #3,830
(13 Feb 2017, 5:01 pm)South Tyne Lad Cheers Tom, Looking forward to it a lot.

There is from Wallsend to Whitley, just not beyond Wallsend Interchange.
Jamie M
13 Feb 2017, 5:06 pm #3,830

(13 Feb 2017, 5:01 pm)South Tyne Lad Cheers Tom, Looking forward to it a lot.

There is from Wallsend to Whitley, just not beyond Wallsend Interchange.

Tom

13 Feb 2017, 5:25 pm #3,831
(13 Feb 2017, 5:01 pm)South Tyne Lad Cheers Tom, Looking forward to it a lot.

Yeah Jamie is right I forgot they run as 11X to Cobalt at that time.

And yeah schools now only care about what grades you get annoyingly, not about preparing you for after school or college.
Tom
13 Feb 2017, 5:25 pm #3,831

(13 Feb 2017, 5:01 pm)South Tyne Lad Cheers Tom, Looking forward to it a lot.

Yeah Jamie is right I forgot they run as 11X to Cobalt at that time.

And yeah schools now only care about what grades you get annoyingly, not about preparing you for after school or college.

13 Feb 2017, 10:33 pm #3,832
If you are going to Heaton TMD, you are better off getting Stagecoach number 1 to the TA centre at Rothbury Terrace as the access road to the depot is just past the nearby railway bridge.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Rapidsnap
13 Feb 2017, 10:33 pm #3,832

If you are going to Heaton TMD, you are better off getting Stagecoach number 1 to the TA centre at Rothbury Terrace as the access road to the depot is just past the nearby railway bridge.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.

James101

13 Feb 2017, 11:00 pm #3,833
Done my work experience 12 years ago now. I learned more in those two weeks than an entire term at school. As a result I kept working in the same industry and now run a company doing a similar  thing - so it's a shame to hear work ex is dying out! 

Conversely, I enjoyed school at the time but would rather lick wasps than go back for a day.
James101
13 Feb 2017, 11:00 pm #3,833

Done my work experience 12 years ago now. I learned more in those two weeks than an entire term at school. As a result I kept working in the same industry and now run a company doing a similar  thing - so it's a shame to hear work ex is dying out! 

Conversely, I enjoyed school at the time but would rather lick wasps than go back for a day.

Jamie M

Unregistered

13 Feb 2017, 11:08 pm #3,834
(13 Feb 2017, 11:00 pm)James101 Done my work experience 12 years ago now. I learned more in those two weeks than an entire term at school. As a result I kept working in the same industry and now run a company doing a similar  thing - so it's a shame to hear work ex is dying out! 

I do work ex for things that sometimes don't interest me. I just keep adding things to a CV. Most people disregard things that aren't relevant to a job field, but literally anything you do in a working atmosphere can give you the edge. Not only does it open more doors, it provides you with that edge in question. I highly disagree with anyone who says it is not important or in any way diminishing. In an age where there are more people than ever applying for jobs, it's ever more important and relevant to have an edge - even if it's in a job field that has nothing to do with the job you're applying for.
Jamie M
13 Feb 2017, 11:08 pm #3,834

(13 Feb 2017, 11:00 pm)James101 Done my work experience 12 years ago now. I learned more in those two weeks than an entire term at school. As a result I kept working in the same industry and now run a company doing a similar  thing - so it's a shame to hear work ex is dying out! 

I do work ex for things that sometimes don't interest me. I just keep adding things to a CV. Most people disregard things that aren't relevant to a job field, but literally anything you do in a working atmosphere can give you the edge. Not only does it open more doors, it provides you with that edge in question. I highly disagree with anyone who says it is not important or in any way diminishing. In an age where there are more people than ever applying for jobs, it's ever more important and relevant to have an edge - even if it's in a job field that has nothing to do with the job you're applying for.

14 Feb 2017, 7:15 am #3,835

I still have too many years to go, being year 8 Dodgy
NK53 TKT
14 Feb 2017, 7:15 am #3,835

I still have too many years to go, being year 8 Dodgy

Andreos1

14 Feb 2017, 9:36 am #3,836

My work experience was great. Worn out at the end, but learned all sorts. Desperately wanted to work in that specific field, but despite trying to enter it for a number of years, didn't quite get in.

What was interesting, was that a normal service bus was more or less turned in to a scholars service for the week (we only had a week work experience). Everyone who normally got a specific scholars bus to school from one residential area, got work experience (unknowingly) in the same general direction. 

(13 Feb 2017, 11:08 pm)Jamie M I do work ex for things that sometimes don't interest me. I just keep adding things to a CV. Most people disregard things that aren't relevant to a job field, but literally anything you do in a working atmosphere can give you the edge. Not only does it open more doors, it provides  you with that edge in question. I highly disagree with anyone who says it is not important or in any way diminishing. In an age where there are more people than ever applying for jobs, it's ever more important and relevant to have an edge - even if it's in a job field that has nothing to do with the job you're applying for.

Just ensure you keep your CV to two pages and make everything you write on it, relevant to the job you're applying for.
Don't just add to the CV for the sake of it.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
14 Feb 2017, 9:36 am #3,836

My work experience was great. Worn out at the end, but learned all sorts. Desperately wanted to work in that specific field, but despite trying to enter it for a number of years, didn't quite get in.

What was interesting, was that a normal service bus was more or less turned in to a scholars service for the week (we only had a week work experience). Everyone who normally got a specific scholars bus to school from one residential area, got work experience (unknowingly) in the same general direction. 

(13 Feb 2017, 11:08 pm)Jamie M I do work ex for things that sometimes don't interest me. I just keep adding things to a CV. Most people disregard things that aren't relevant to a job field, but literally anything you do in a working atmosphere can give you the edge. Not only does it open more doors, it provides  you with that edge in question. I highly disagree with anyone who says it is not important or in any way diminishing. In an age where there are more people than ever applying for jobs, it's ever more important and relevant to have an edge - even if it's in a job field that has nothing to do with the job you're applying for.

Just ensure you keep your CV to two pages and make everything you write on it, relevant to the job you're applying for.

Jamie M

Unregistered

14 Feb 2017, 11:06 am #3,837
(14 Feb 2017, 9:36 am)Andreos1 My work experience was great. Worn out at the end, but learned all sorts. Desperately wanted to work in that specific field, but despite trying to enter it for a number of years, didn't quite get in.

If you're without many 'real' jobs, the more experience, the merrier, regardless of how relevant.

(14 Feb 2017, 9:36 am)Andreos1 My work experience was great. Worn out at the end, but learned all sorts. Desperately wanted to work in that specific field, but despite trying to enter it for a number of years, didn't quite get in.

If you're without many 'real' jobs, the more experience, the merrier, regardless of how relevant.
Jamie M
14 Feb 2017, 11:06 am #3,837

Andreos1

14 Feb 2017, 12:43 pm #3,838
(14 Feb 2017, 11:06 am)Jamie M If you're without many 'real' jobs, the more experience, the merrier, regardless of how relevant.

It's making the content on your CV relevant though Wink

Volunteering in a charity shop may not seem relevant to driving a train, but by including the transferable skills on to your CV along with examples - it can be.

They could be: following instruction, being able to problem solve, using own initiative, being flexible with regard to working patterns, taking part in regular training sessions... The list is endless.
Being potentially short on space on a CV, it's only natural you would cover those areas, over cash-handling, manual handling, stock checking etc.

Obviously this is an extreme example, but shows how it can be done.

As an example. My work experience when at school, was followed up with voluntary work experience at a similar organisation during six weeks holidays. I then went in to retail work part time whilst at college.
I finished my BTEC's and A-levels and ended up doing a job totally different to the jobs I had done previously (including my paper round).
Needless to say, I have developed a career around my first full-time job and have developed skills and qualifications in that sector, whilst developing knowledge of industries I have been seconded in to or worked within.
My CV was tweaked to make my college courses and other jobs (paid and unpaid) relevant when applying for that first full-time job and has been ever since.
Edited 14 Feb 2017, 1:13 pm by Andreos1.

Andreos1
14 Feb 2017, 12:43 pm #3,838

(14 Feb 2017, 11:06 am)Jamie M If you're without many 'real' jobs, the more experience, the merrier, regardless of how relevant.

It's making the content on your CV relevant though Wink

Volunteering in a charity shop may not seem relevant to driving a train, but by including the transferable skills on to your CV along with examples - it can be.

They could be: following instruction, being able to problem solve, using own initiative, being flexible with regard to working patterns, taking part in regular training sessions... The list is endless.
Being potentially short on space on a CV, it's only natural you would cover those areas, over cash-handling, manual handling, stock checking etc.

As an example. My work experience when at school, was followed up with voluntary work experience at a similar organisation during six weeks holidays. I then went in to retail work part time whilst at college.
I finished my BTEC's and A-levels and ended up doing a job totally different to the jobs I had done previously (including my paper round).
Needless to say, I have developed a career around my first full-time job and have developed skills and qualifications in that sector, whilst developing knowledge of industries I have been seconded in to or worked within.
My CV was tweaked to make my college courses and other jobs (paid and unpaid) relevant when applying for that first full-time job and has been ever since.

Jamie M

Unregistered

14 Feb 2017, 2:25 pm #3,839
(14 Feb 2017, 12:43 pm)Andreos1 It's making the content on your CV relevant though Wink

Anything can be made 'relevant' with the right words! There is nothing that can't be twisted to mean something to impress an employer!
Jamie M
14 Feb 2017, 2:25 pm #3,839

(14 Feb 2017, 12:43 pm)Andreos1 It's making the content on your CV relevant though Wink

Anything can be made 'relevant' with the right words! There is nothing that can't be twisted to mean something to impress an employer!

Andreos1

14 Feb 2017, 2:58 pm #3,840
(14 Feb 2017, 2:25 pm)Jamie M Anything can be made 'relevant' with the right words! There is nothing that can't be twisted to mean something to impress an employer!

You would be surprised how many CV's aren't relevant...

Andreos1
14 Feb 2017, 2:58 pm #3,840

(14 Feb 2017, 2:25 pm)Jamie M Anything can be made 'relevant' with the right words! There is nothing that can't be twisted to mean something to impress an employer!

You would be surprised how many CV's aren't relevant...

Pages (203) Previous 1191 192 193203 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average