Menu

North East Buses The Canteen General off-topic chat Whats made you happy today?

Whats made you happy today?

Whats made you happy today?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (203) Previous 123 24 25203 Next
Dan

Site Administrator

29 Aug 2014, 11:40 am #461
(29 Aug 2014, 11:12 am)marxistafozzski What do you fancy doing then Dan, do u fancy being a bus driver and working your way up or would you like to enter a company like GNE at some kind of management level???
If only I knew, fozz!

A number of people at GNE have told me they'd like to see me return after I finish school, but who knows...
Dan
29 Aug 2014, 11:40 am #461

(29 Aug 2014, 11:12 am)marxistafozzski What do you fancy doing then Dan, do u fancy being a bus driver and working your way up or would you like to enter a company like GNE at some kind of management level???
If only I knew, fozz!

A number of people at GNE have told me they'd like to see me return after I finish school, but who knows...

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

29 Aug 2014, 11:45 am #462
(29 Aug 2014, 11:40 am)Dan If only I knew, fozz!

Well, your still young, get your qualifications what you need, I have faith In you my friend and in whatever you do...

What you have been doing with GNE puts you in a good place...whatever path you take good luck mate
MrFozz
29 Aug 2014, 11:45 am #462

(29 Aug 2014, 11:40 am)Dan If only I knew, fozz!

Well, your still young, get your qualifications what you need, I have faith In you my friend and in whatever you do...

What you have been doing with GNE puts you in a good place...whatever path you take good luck mate

Dan

Site Administrator

29 Aug 2014, 12:18 pm #463
(29 Aug 2014, 11:45 am)marxistafozzski Well, your still young, get your qualifications what you need, I have faith In you my friend and in whatever you do...

Cheers. Smile

I originally thought it was going to be a laborious task to go to work every day, under the impression that it would be worth it in the end as not many people will have four weeks worth of voluntary work experience on their CV in addition to my ordinary one-week work experience placement from school. In reality, it was a totally different story.

I've heard a number of things about the morale of those who work at Riverside, but I think this may be the opinion of the minority. In my first week, I spent my time undertaking basic administration duties. I didn't really know anyone there other than the people who I was working alongside. I moved into another department for my second week, and this is when I attended a meeting, which was when I got to know the majority of the people at Riverside and a few from other sites too. From this point onwards, I started to have a bit of a joke and carry on with people, and I acquired the name "Golden Boy" because the manager of the department didn't stop praising me to them. Tongue

But yeah, I've had a couple of suggestions from those on a more senior level about the future... Playing it by here though! I know school won't be happy if I don't go to University and end up going straight into the world of work, but I'm not there to please them...
Dan
29 Aug 2014, 12:18 pm #463

(29 Aug 2014, 11:45 am)marxistafozzski Well, your still young, get your qualifications what you need, I have faith In you my friend and in whatever you do...

Cheers. Smile

I originally thought it was going to be a laborious task to go to work every day, under the impression that it would be worth it in the end as not many people will have four weeks worth of voluntary work experience on their CV in addition to my ordinary one-week work experience placement from school. In reality, it was a totally different story.

I've heard a number of things about the morale of those who work at Riverside, but I think this may be the opinion of the minority. In my first week, I spent my time undertaking basic administration duties. I didn't really know anyone there other than the people who I was working alongside. I moved into another department for my second week, and this is when I attended a meeting, which was when I got to know the majority of the people at Riverside and a few from other sites too. From this point onwards, I started to have a bit of a joke and carry on with people, and I acquired the name "Golden Boy" because the manager of the department didn't stop praising me to them. Tongue

But yeah, I've had a couple of suggestions from those on a more senior level about the future... Playing it by here though! I know school won't be happy if I don't go to University and end up going straight into the world of work, but I'm not there to please them...

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

29 Aug 2014, 12:30 pm #464
(29 Aug 2014, 12:18 pm)Dan Cheers. Smile

Sod your school, it is your life, who gives a monkeys shit if you don't go to Uni, though my advice would be to go, get as much of an education as you can get(judging by your GCSE's, you are bright and quite intelligenr but it is not the be-all and end-all, go with what your happy with, because I am sure if GNE took you on, you would surely get an opportunity to study for NVQ in whatever department you ended up in...

If your not in Uni when I come back home I hope you are doing well in whatever you choose...

All the best pal
MrFozz
29 Aug 2014, 12:30 pm #464

Sod your school, it is your life, who gives a monkeys shit if you don't go to Uni, though my advice would be to go, get as much of an education as you can get(judging by your GCSE's, you are bright and quite intelligenr but it is not the be-all and end-all, go with what your happy with, because I am sure if GNE took you on, you would surely get an opportunity to study for NVQ in whatever department you ended up in...

If your not in Uni when I come back home I hope you are doing well in whatever you choose...

All the best pal

29 Aug 2014, 1:09 pm #465

My parents want me to do uni, so I suppose I will. They've raised me and given me a wonderful life, so I suppose I really should give something back to them (even if a Business Degree does cost them £10K Tongue)
R852 PRG
29 Aug 2014, 1:09 pm #465

My parents want me to do uni, so I suppose I will. They've raised me and given me a wonderful life, so I suppose I really should give something back to them (even if a Business Degree does cost them £10K Tongue)

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

29 Aug 2014, 1:59 pm #466
(29 Aug 2014, 1:09 pm)Marcus My parents want me to do uni, so I suppose I will. They've raised me and given me a wonderful life, so I suppose I really should give something back to them (even if a Business Degree does cost them £10K Tongue)

Do what you feel comfortable with mate, it is not easy to say this, don't do something just to keep people Happy, because if you are doing things for others expectations in you, then you will end up resenting what your doing and may set yourself up to fail...

At least you have a few years to decide what you want to be doing 😀
MrFozz
29 Aug 2014, 1:59 pm #466

(29 Aug 2014, 1:09 pm)Marcus My parents want me to do uni, so I suppose I will. They've raised me and given me a wonderful life, so I suppose I really should give something back to them (even if a Business Degree does cost them £10K Tongue)

Do what you feel comfortable with mate, it is not easy to say this, don't do something just to keep people Happy, because if you are doing things for others expectations in you, then you will end up resenting what your doing and may set yourself up to fail...

At least you have a few years to decide what you want to be doing 😀

citaro5284

29 Aug 2014, 2:16 pm #467

You see, we are not that bad.....Big Grin
citaro5284
29 Aug 2014, 2:16 pm #467

You see, we are not that bad.....Big Grin

Tom

29 Aug 2014, 4:14 pm #468

Even if my parents want me to do Uni (which they do), I'm not. They can't make me. Despite them giving me a great life etc. I'm not going to do something I don't want to do.
Tom
29 Aug 2014, 4:14 pm #468

Even if my parents want me to do Uni (which they do), I'm not. They can't make me. Despite them giving me a great life etc. I'm not going to do something I don't want to do.

29 Aug 2014, 4:16 pm #469
(29 Aug 2014, 4:14 pm)Tom Even if my parents want me to do Uni (which they do), I'm not. They can't make me. Despite them giving me a great life etc. I'm not going to do something I don't want to do.

That's a good point, but what if you move to Stagecoach in Cumbria and get offered an amazing job that you can't accept because you don't have the qualifications to do?
R852 PRG
29 Aug 2014, 4:16 pm #469

(29 Aug 2014, 4:14 pm)Tom Even if my parents want me to do Uni (which they do), I'm not. They can't make me. Despite them giving me a great life etc. I'm not going to do something I don't want to do.

That's a good point, but what if you move to Stagecoach in Cumbria and get offered an amazing job that you can't accept because you don't have the qualifications to do?

Dan

Site Administrator

29 Aug 2014, 4:22 pm #470
(29 Aug 2014, 2:16 pm)citaro5284 You see, we are not that bad.....Big Grin

Well... A smile or two wouldn't gan a miss in the mornings like! Wink

(29 Aug 2014, 4:16 pm)Marcus That's a good point, but what if you move to Stagecoach in Cumbria and get offered an amazing job that you can't accept because you don't have the qualifications to do?

The chances are, if you're offered a job, you'll get it (providing you want it). Some companies look for experience over qualifications. You can always study whilst you're on an entry-level job and work your way up from there.
Dan
29 Aug 2014, 4:22 pm #470

(29 Aug 2014, 2:16 pm)citaro5284 You see, we are not that bad.....Big Grin

Well... A smile or two wouldn't gan a miss in the mornings like! Wink

(29 Aug 2014, 4:16 pm)Marcus That's a good point, but what if you move to Stagecoach in Cumbria and get offered an amazing job that you can't accept because you don't have the qualifications to do?

The chances are, if you're offered a job, you'll get it (providing you want it). Some companies look for experience over qualifications. You can always study whilst you're on an entry-level job and work your way up from there.

Tom

29 Aug 2014, 4:25 pm #471

But what if I get A-Levels in Business?
Tom
29 Aug 2014, 4:25 pm #471

But what if I get A-Levels in Business?

29 Aug 2014, 4:28 pm #472
(29 Aug 2014, 4:25 pm)Tom But what if I get A-Levels in Business?

Possible, but I reckon a degree would be more preferable than an A-Level.

There's people on here who can explain it way better than me, but I think if you did a bit of part-time driving with GNE while at Uni, you can do about 3 years with GNE, then as soon as you get a degree, go off to Cumbria. You'll have driven for both GNE and SiC. Could work? Wink
R852 PRG
29 Aug 2014, 4:28 pm #472

(29 Aug 2014, 4:25 pm)Tom But what if I get A-Levels in Business?

Possible, but I reckon a degree would be more preferable than an A-Level.

There's people on here who can explain it way better than me, but I think if you did a bit of part-time driving with GNE while at Uni, you can do about 3 years with GNE, then as soon as you get a degree, go off to Cumbria. You'll have driven for both GNE and SiC. Could work? Wink

Tom

29 Aug 2014, 4:32 pm #473
(29 Aug 2014, 4:28 pm)Marcus Possible, but I reckon a degree would be more preferable than an A-Level.

Would that work though? Being part time with GNE and going to Uni?
Tom
29 Aug 2014, 4:32 pm #473

(29 Aug 2014, 4:28 pm)Marcus Possible, but I reckon a degree would be more preferable than an A-Level.

Would that work though? Being part time with GNE and going to Uni?

Dan

Site Administrator

29 Aug 2014, 4:33 pm #474
(29 Aug 2014, 4:32 pm)Tom Would that work though? Being part time with GNE and going to Uni?

Highly doubt it.

I don't think GNE usually hire 'weekend drivers'.
Dan
29 Aug 2014, 4:33 pm #474

(29 Aug 2014, 4:32 pm)Tom Would that work though? Being part time with GNE and going to Uni?

Highly doubt it.

I don't think GNE usually hire 'weekend drivers'.

29 Aug 2014, 4:33 pm #475

It's possible. I've heard there are a few really short duties on an evening (I think they're like 14:00 till 19:00) that you could each night, then get a few lectures in each day? I think the minimum to be considered a full-time student is 12 hours of study a week or something? It could work if you looked further into it. Smile
R852 PRG
29 Aug 2014, 4:33 pm #475

It's possible. I've heard there are a few really short duties on an evening (I think they're like 14:00 till 19:00) that you could each night, then get a few lectures in each day? I think the minimum to be considered a full-time student is 12 hours of study a week or something? It could work if you looked further into it. Smile

Tom

29 Aug 2014, 4:39 pm #476
(29 Aug 2014, 4:33 pm)Marcus It's possible. I've heard there are a few really short duties on an evening (I think they're like 14:00 till 19:00) that you could each night, then get a few lectures in each day? I think the minimum to be considered a full-time student is 12 hours of study a week or something? It could work if you looked further into it. Smile

Suppose it could work - still not sure about University though.
If I did I would probably have to move away too.
Tom
29 Aug 2014, 4:39 pm #476

(29 Aug 2014, 4:33 pm)Marcus It's possible. I've heard there are a few really short duties on an evening (I think they're like 14:00 till 19:00) that you could each night, then get a few lectures in each day? I think the minimum to be considered a full-time student is 12 hours of study a week or something? It could work if you looked further into it. Smile

Suppose it could work - still not sure about University though.

29 Aug 2014, 4:40 pm #477
(29 Aug 2014, 4:39 pm)Tom Suppose it could work - still not sure about University though.

Or you could do the part time scholars runs (two hrs in the morning and two hrs in the afternoon, I think)?

Would you not want to just study at Northumbria or Newcastle?
R852 PRG
29 Aug 2014, 4:40 pm #477

(29 Aug 2014, 4:39 pm)Tom Suppose it could work - still not sure about University though.

Or you could do the part time scholars runs (two hrs in the morning and two hrs in the afternoon, I think)?

Tom

29 Aug 2014, 4:41 pm #478
(29 Aug 2014, 4:40 pm)Marcus Or you could do the part time scholars runs (two hrs in the morning and two hrs in the afternoon, I think)?

Possibly yes - I'd hate to do Scholars Wink
I'd rather do proper services.
Tom
29 Aug 2014, 4:41 pm #478

(29 Aug 2014, 4:40 pm)Marcus Or you could do the part time scholars runs (two hrs in the morning and two hrs in the afternoon, I think)?

Possibly yes - I'd hate to do Scholars Wink
I'd rather do proper services.

citaro5284

29 Aug 2014, 6:11 pm #479
(29 Aug 2014, 4:22 pm)Dan Well... A smile or two wouldn't gan a miss in the mornings like! Wink

In all seriousiness, I am pleased you enjoyed it and your look 'behind the scenes' of what we do, from the recruitment process, to the Risk Management Department and through to what we do at Bensham and what it takes to actually operate a bus service and the amount of staff involved in the background.

As you seen, in Risk there is so much going on, from checking tools for vibration, to risk assessments and Health and Safety Meetings. I believe you also sat in on a meeting about on the road accidents and how these figures can be reduced going forward by bringing quite a few of the different departments of the business into one room and for them to discuss there part of the project and what they can do.

When you came to Bensham, you saw the amount of staff based there along with the vast amount of roles which is covered in a Head Office Function from IT, payroll, revenue, service planning and Customer Services along with our roles with System Admin.
You saw how the Mix Telematics system worked along with how the destination displays are programmed and what we report to Go Ahead at Period End along with the associated KPI's - which is quite a bit.....
citaro5284
29 Aug 2014, 6:11 pm #479

(29 Aug 2014, 4:22 pm)Dan Well... A smile or two wouldn't gan a miss in the mornings like! Wink

In all seriousiness, I am pleased you enjoyed it and your look 'behind the scenes' of what we do, from the recruitment process, to the Risk Management Department and through to what we do at Bensham and what it takes to actually operate a bus service and the amount of staff involved in the background.

As you seen, in Risk there is so much going on, from checking tools for vibration, to risk assessments and Health and Safety Meetings. I believe you also sat in on a meeting about on the road accidents and how these figures can be reduced going forward by bringing quite a few of the different departments of the business into one room and for them to discuss there part of the project and what they can do.

When you came to Bensham, you saw the amount of staff based there along with the vast amount of roles which is covered in a Head Office Function from IT, payroll, revenue, service planning and Customer Services along with our roles with System Admin.
You saw how the Mix Telematics system worked along with how the destination displays are programmed and what we report to Go Ahead at Period End along with the associated KPI's - which is quite a bit.....

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

29 Aug 2014, 6:36 pm #480
(29 Aug 2014, 6:11 pm)citaro5284 In all seriousiness, I am pleased you enjoyed it and your look 'behind the scenes' of what we do, from the recruitment process, to the Risk Management Department and through to what we do at Bensham and what it takes to actually operate a bus service and the amount of staff involved in the background.

Sounds like Dan has had quite a look at GNE and can only be a benefit for him if he wants a career of some kind within the Company
MrFozz
29 Aug 2014, 6:36 pm #480

(29 Aug 2014, 6:11 pm)citaro5284 In all seriousiness, I am pleased you enjoyed it and your look 'behind the scenes' of what we do, from the recruitment process, to the Risk Management Department and through to what we do at Bensham and what it takes to actually operate a bus service and the amount of staff involved in the background.

Sounds like Dan has had quite a look at GNE and can only be a benefit for him if he wants a career of some kind within the Company

Pages (203) Previous 123 24 25203 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average