Menu

North East Buses The Site Problems & Suggestions The Bus Scene: Elsewhere

The Bus Scene: Elsewhere

The Bus Scene: Elsewhere

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (2) Previous 1 2
Y961 XBU

16 Apr 2014, 9:29 pm #21
I notice the elsewhere feed has now gone missing?
Y961 XBU
16 Apr 2014, 9:29 pm #21

I notice the elsewhere feed has now gone missing?

MurdnunoC

16 Apr 2014, 9:31 pm #22
Why not copy the way Passenger Focus list different areas/regions and modify it a little to suit the trends of the forum?
MurdnunoC
16 Apr 2014, 9:31 pm #22

Why not copy the way Passenger Focus list different areas/regions and modify it a little to suit the trends of the forum?

Dan

Site Administrator

16 Apr 2014, 10:29 pm #23
(16 Apr 2014, 9:29 pm)Y961 XBU I notice the elsewhere feed has now gone missing?

It has now returned.

Check out the new-look Bus Scene: Elsewhere section of the forum on the link below:
http://northeastbuses.co.uk/forum/forumd...php?fid=19

I personally think it's a lot better, and I'll certainly be more likely to post more frequently now.
Dan
16 Apr 2014, 10:29 pm #23

(16 Apr 2014, 9:29 pm)Y961 XBU I notice the elsewhere feed has now gone missing?

It has now returned.

Check out the new-look Bus Scene: Elsewhere section of the forum on the link below:
http://northeastbuses.co.uk/forum/forumd...php?fid=19

I personally think it's a lot better, and I'll certainly be more likely to post more frequently now.

Y961 XBU

16 Apr 2014, 10:46 pm #24
Please tell me every single feed has not been merged into one big one...
Y961 XBU
16 Apr 2014, 10:46 pm #24

Please tell me every single feed has not been merged into one big one...

Dan

Site Administrator

16 Apr 2014, 10:53 pm #25
(16 Apr 2014, 10:46 pm)Y961 XBU Please tell me every single feed has not been merged into one big one...

That's correct. Judging by your earlier post, I didn't think that you were against the idea and you would have rather it to have been one massive thread including Cumbria & North Lancs?

Unfortunately there were just so many threads it was hard to keep up with. There was 45 North West related threads alone - half of the entire Bus Scene: Elsewhere forum. A number of these threads only had a couple of posts in too.

We'll see how this goes anyway - my fault if it goes tits up. I've posted a few links to news articles in some of the threads that wouldn't have otherwise been active and let's hope it brings in some new faces or allows for more discussion!
Dan
16 Apr 2014, 10:53 pm #25

(16 Apr 2014, 10:46 pm)Y961 XBU Please tell me every single feed has not been merged into one big one...

That's correct. Judging by your earlier post, I didn't think that you were against the idea and you would have rather it to have been one massive thread including Cumbria & North Lancs?

Unfortunately there were just so many threads it was hard to keep up with. There was 45 North West related threads alone - half of the entire Bus Scene: Elsewhere forum. A number of these threads only had a couple of posts in too.

We'll see how this goes anyway - my fault if it goes tits up. I've posted a few links to news articles in some of the threads that wouldn't have otherwise been active and let's hope it brings in some new faces or allows for more discussion!

Y961 XBU

16 Apr 2014, 10:57 pm #26
(16 Apr 2014, 10:53 pm)Dan That's correct. Judging by your earlier post, I didn't think that you were against the idea and you would have rather it to have been one massive thread including Cumbria & North Lancs?

Unfortunately there were just so many threads it was hard to keep up with. There were 45 North West related threads alone - half of the entire Bus Scene: Elsewhere forum. A number of these threads only had a couple of posts in too.

I was not under the impression that all the feeds where going to be merged, i was under the impression feeds where going to be put into local boxes, If this is how things are going from now on then i will no longer contribute to the Forum and i would put good money am not the only one from the North West umbrella who will do the same.
Y961 XBU
16 Apr 2014, 10:57 pm #26

(16 Apr 2014, 10:53 pm)Dan That's correct. Judging by your earlier post, I didn't think that you were against the idea and you would have rather it to have been one massive thread including Cumbria & North Lancs?

Unfortunately there were just so many threads it was hard to keep up with. There were 45 North West related threads alone - half of the entire Bus Scene: Elsewhere forum. A number of these threads only had a couple of posts in too.

I was not under the impression that all the feeds where going to be merged, i was under the impression feeds where going to be put into local boxes, If this is how things are going from now on then i will no longer contribute to the Forum and i would put good money am not the only one from the North West umbrella who will do the same.

Dan

Site Administrator

16 Apr 2014, 11:01 pm #27
(16 Apr 2014, 10:57 pm)Y961 XBU I was not under the impression that all the feeds where going to be merged, i was under the impression feeds where going to be put into local boxes, If this is how things are going from now on then i will no longer contribute to the Forum and i would put good money am not the only one from the North West umbrella who will do the same.

Not trying it out is a tad irrational, after we've had no bad feedback to the idea on this thread from anyone else!

As aureolin said earlier - if any of the regional threads get as busy as the main threads in the North East section, they could then justify having their own sub-forum much like the North East section.
Dan
16 Apr 2014, 11:01 pm #27

(16 Apr 2014, 10:57 pm)Y961 XBU I was not under the impression that all the feeds where going to be merged, i was under the impression feeds where going to be put into local boxes, If this is how things are going from now on then i will no longer contribute to the Forum and i would put good money am not the only one from the North West umbrella who will do the same.

Not trying it out is a tad irrational, after we've had no bad feedback to the idea on this thread from anyone else!

As aureolin said earlier - if any of the regional threads get as busy as the main threads in the North East section, they could then justify having their own sub-forum much like the North East section.

Andreos1

17 Apr 2014, 6:40 am #28
(16 Apr 2014, 11:01 pm)Dan Not trying it out is a tad irrational, after we've had no bad feedback to the idea on this thread from anyone else!

The North West and to a lesser extent Scotland and Yorkshire possibly need this now.
You said yourself the North West thread contributed to half of the elsewhere posts and is easily the most active area beyond the North East scene.

Just tried reading/catching up and ended up giving up.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
17 Apr 2014, 6:40 am #28

(16 Apr 2014, 11:01 pm)Dan Not trying it out is a tad irrational, after we've had no bad feedback to the idea on this thread from anyone else!

The North West and to a lesser extent Scotland and Yorkshire possibly need this now.
You said yourself the North West thread contributed to half of the elsewhere posts and is easily the most active area beyond the North East scene.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

Dan

Site Administrator

17 Apr 2014, 8:31 am #29
(17 Apr 2014, 6:40 am)Andreos Constantopolous The North West and to a lesser extent Scotland and Yorkshire possibly need this now.

I think it will be the right time to 'convert' the section when it turns into discussion and not just information given by a few people. I read a lot of the posts when merging the threads and quite a number of the threads only had three or four replies to the OP in each, with information being given by the same few people rather than it being discussed.

A prime example of this was VOSA registrations. In the North East, one or two people tend to copy these into the relevant thread. After that, we will discuss what the changes could be. I didn't really see that a lot when going through the thread.

The trouble that we face is we simply don't have enough members from the North West contributing, and that in part is linked to another forum existing which is dedicated to buses in the North West. Until we do have a larger number of members, we face one of three problems:

1) Merging all North West threads and potentially making it more difficult to read when we are at a peak of discussion. Perhaps only an issue if someone visits the forum once per day.

2) Having regional sub-forums as suggested, but making the main index page longer in length (meaning more scrolling is needed) and also meaning that you have to file your way through to the actual threads (meaning more clicks are needed). This is the reason why we ditched sub-forums in the main North East section, because Liam thinks they're terribly non user-friendly. I do believe the majority of people on the forum voted against them in a poll we did too?

3) If we had done nothing at all, we would have had 93 threads in a section which potentially would have been overlooked. Excluding Lothian Buses, I pretty much ditched the 'Elsewhere' section as it was too difficult to use. I was having to use the search bar to get to the thread I wanted to get to, and this was frankly off-putting.

I took a brief tour of other bus forums last night before coming forward with the idea, and the fair majority faced the last problem - with very few looking to rectify what was an issue.

We are always looking forward on this website which is why we do see regular changes. This is all done with the user in mind. Like I said before, we will see how this works - put it on a trial period if you will. If it's successful, it can remain like it is now until I'm confronted by one of the main 'Elsewhere' contributors that they feel differently. If it's not, we'll have to come up with an alternative solution.
Dan
17 Apr 2014, 8:31 am #29

(17 Apr 2014, 6:40 am)Andreos Constantopolous The North West and to a lesser extent Scotland and Yorkshire possibly need this now.

I think it will be the right time to 'convert' the section when it turns into discussion and not just information given by a few people. I read a lot of the posts when merging the threads and quite a number of the threads only had three or four replies to the OP in each, with information being given by the same few people rather than it being discussed.

A prime example of this was VOSA registrations. In the North East, one or two people tend to copy these into the relevant thread. After that, we will discuss what the changes could be. I didn't really see that a lot when going through the thread.

The trouble that we face is we simply don't have enough members from the North West contributing, and that in part is linked to another forum existing which is dedicated to buses in the North West. Until we do have a larger number of members, we face one of three problems:

1) Merging all North West threads and potentially making it more difficult to read when we are at a peak of discussion. Perhaps only an issue if someone visits the forum once per day.

2) Having regional sub-forums as suggested, but making the main index page longer in length (meaning more scrolling is needed) and also meaning that you have to file your way through to the actual threads (meaning more clicks are needed). This is the reason why we ditched sub-forums in the main North East section, because Liam thinks they're terribly non user-friendly. I do believe the majority of people on the forum voted against them in a poll we did too?

3) If we had done nothing at all, we would have had 93 threads in a section which potentially would have been overlooked. Excluding Lothian Buses, I pretty much ditched the 'Elsewhere' section as it was too difficult to use. I was having to use the search bar to get to the thread I wanted to get to, and this was frankly off-putting.

I took a brief tour of other bus forums last night before coming forward with the idea, and the fair majority faced the last problem - with very few looking to rectify what was an issue.

We are always looking forward on this website which is why we do see regular changes. This is all done with the user in mind. Like I said before, we will see how this works - put it on a trial period if you will. If it's successful, it can remain like it is now until I'm confronted by one of the main 'Elsewhere' contributors that they feel differently. If it's not, we'll have to come up with an alternative solution.

Pages (2) Previous 1 2

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average