Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Customer Service thread

Customer Service thread

Customer Service thread

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (13): Previous 13 4 513 Next
Adrian

25 Jul 2014, 9:48 pm #61
(25 Jul 2014, 6:45 pm)Marcus Oh, I was just using their tickets as an example of how Arriva haven't seemed to have 'jumped' into the next generation. Some of their Prestiges didn't get a repaint from being new to being withdrawn!

I don't understand. Have they gone from being 'severely outdated' to the next generation within the space of 4 posts?

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
25 Jul 2014, 9:48 pm #61

(25 Jul 2014, 6:45 pm)Marcus Oh, I was just using their tickets as an example of how Arriva haven't seemed to have 'jumped' into the next generation. Some of their Prestiges didn't get a repaint from being new to being withdrawn!

I don't understand. Have they gone from being 'severely outdated' to the next generation within the space of 4 posts?

Adrian

25 Jul 2014, 9:49 pm #62
(25 Jul 2014, 8:14 pm)mb134 What exactly is wrong with Arriva's tickets?

I dunno. I'd say they contain exactly the same info as GNE and Stagecoach's?

Adrian
25 Jul 2014, 9:49 pm #62

(25 Jul 2014, 8:14 pm)mb134 What exactly is wrong with Arriva's tickets?

I dunno. I'd say they contain exactly the same info as GNE and Stagecoach's?

mb134

25 Jul 2014, 9:56 pm #63
(25 Jul 2014, 9:49 pm)aureolin I dunno. I'd say they contain exactly the same info as GNE and Stagecoach's?
Exactly what I was thinking as well, what more can a ticket do?
mb134
25 Jul 2014, 9:56 pm #63

(25 Jul 2014, 9:49 pm)aureolin I dunno. I'd say they contain exactly the same info as GNE and Stagecoach's?
Exactly what I was thinking as well, what more can a ticket do?

25 Jul 2014, 11:21 pm #64
(25 Jul 2014, 9:48 pm)aureolin I don't understand. Have they gone from being 'severely outdated' to the next generation within the space of 4 posts?

I just feel like Arriva have just not made as many leaps forward as GNE and Stagecoach have.

Those strips just aren't what I'm used to, it seems like those types of tickets have been around for years now (if I recall, GNE used similar ones before transferring to their current type) and just seem outdated by what GNE and SNE use.
Edited 25 Jul 2014, 11:26 pm by R852 PRG.
R852 PRG
25 Jul 2014, 11:21 pm #64

(25 Jul 2014, 9:48 pm)aureolin I don't understand. Have they gone from being 'severely outdated' to the next generation within the space of 4 posts?

I just feel like Arriva have just not made as many leaps forward as GNE and Stagecoach have.

Those strips just aren't what I'm used to, it seems like those types of tickets have been around for years now (if I recall, GNE used similar ones before transferring to their current type) and just seem outdated by what GNE and SNE use.

Tom

26 Jul 2014, 7:23 am #65
(25 Jul 2014, 11:21 pm)Marcus I just feel like Arriva have just not made as many leaps forward as GNE and Stagecoach have.

GNE never used that style.
Tom
26 Jul 2014, 7:23 am #65

(25 Jul 2014, 11:21 pm)Marcus I just feel like Arriva have just not made as many leaps forward as GNE and Stagecoach have.

GNE never used that style.

mb134

26 Jul 2014, 7:44 am #66
Would you not count the Live Map as a leap forward? Yes it might not work 100% of the time but when it does it's pretty damn useful
mb134
26 Jul 2014, 7:44 am #66

Would you not count the Live Map as a leap forward? Yes it might not work 100% of the time but when it does it's pretty damn useful

tyresmoke

26 Jul 2014, 7:53 am #67
(26 Jul 2014, 7:44 am)mb134 Would you not count the Live Map as a leap forward? Yes it might not work 100% of the time but when it does it's pretty damn useful

I think the perception of Arriva NE is that it always takes time to catch up to everyone else. The investment going in this year will hopefully start to change that... Once all of the Max schemes are up and running and the Sapphire routes get launched the fleet will be unrecognisable from the present fleet!

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

tyresmoke
26 Jul 2014, 7:53 am #67

(26 Jul 2014, 7:44 am)mb134 Would you not count the Live Map as a leap forward? Yes it might not work 100% of the time but when it does it's pretty damn useful

I think the perception of Arriva NE is that it always takes time to catch up to everyone else. The investment going in this year will hopefully start to change that... Once all of the Max schemes are up and running and the Sapphire routes get launched the fleet will be unrecognisable from the present fleet!

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Dan

Site Administrator

26 Jul 2014, 8:02 am #68
(26 Jul 2014, 7:53 am)tyresmoke I think the perception of Arriva NE is that it always takes time to catch up to everyone else. The investment going in this year will hopefully start to change that... Once all of the Max schemes are up and running and the Sapphire routes get launched the fleet will be unrecognisable from the present fleet!

I agree with this.

One of the reasons I did have a soft spot for Arriva when first starting out as an enthusiast was the fact that their fleet seemed so old compared to other operators' fleets; although both of the other main operators had vehicles just as elderly, I think it was mainly down to the fact that they'd been repainted, making them look slightly younger.

Of the three operators in the North East, I'm inclined to suggest that Arriva will see the most new arrivals this year - though of course, as Arriva typically favour light-weight vehicles, this should be expected. Nevertheless, the continued flow of investment should gain Arriva a few brownie points with us enthusiasts, and hopefully tie them over for a good few years before the fleet starts to show its age again.

The introduction of their real time technology applications came as something somewhat unusual, given that new technology does seem to be the forté of Go North East opposed to Arriva North East - but it being released first does but competitors at an advantage, as they'll be aware of any issues which Arriva may have had with it, and be able to improve their technology whilst still in development.
Dan
26 Jul 2014, 8:02 am #68

(26 Jul 2014, 7:53 am)tyresmoke I think the perception of Arriva NE is that it always takes time to catch up to everyone else. The investment going in this year will hopefully start to change that... Once all of the Max schemes are up and running and the Sapphire routes get launched the fleet will be unrecognisable from the present fleet!

I agree with this.

One of the reasons I did have a soft spot for Arriva when first starting out as an enthusiast was the fact that their fleet seemed so old compared to other operators' fleets; although both of the other main operators had vehicles just as elderly, I think it was mainly down to the fact that they'd been repainted, making them look slightly younger.

Of the three operators in the North East, I'm inclined to suggest that Arriva will see the most new arrivals this year - though of course, as Arriva typically favour light-weight vehicles, this should be expected. Nevertheless, the continued flow of investment should gain Arriva a few brownie points with us enthusiasts, and hopefully tie them over for a good few years before the fleet starts to show its age again.

The introduction of their real time technology applications came as something somewhat unusual, given that new technology does seem to be the forté of Go North East opposed to Arriva North East - but it being released first does but competitors at an advantage, as they'll be aware of any issues which Arriva may have had with it, and be able to improve their technology whilst still in development.

26 Jul 2014, 8:33 am #69
(25 Jul 2014, 2:23 pm)aureolin Emailed Go North East earlier, and my query was answered and dealt with in just over 30 minutes. Now that's worth mentioning as exceptional.

In other news, I'm towards the end of the 3rd week since Arriva were going to investigate why the X2 (Durham board) yet again failed to stop at Birtley shops...

If you were travelling towards Durham, the X2 only stops at the Cenotaph then Barley Mow as far as I'm aware anyway
palatine3833
26 Jul 2014, 8:33 am #69

(25 Jul 2014, 2:23 pm)aureolin Emailed Go North East earlier, and my query was answered and dealt with in just over 30 minutes. Now that's worth mentioning as exceptional.

In other news, I'm towards the end of the 3rd week since Arriva were going to investigate why the X2 (Durham board) yet again failed to stop at Birtley shops...

If you were travelling towards Durham, the X2 only stops at the Cenotaph then Barley Mow as far as I'm aware anyway

26 Jul 2014, 8:35 am #70

The reason the tickets seem similar is because Arriva now use the new version of the Wayfarer machines that used to be used by other operators. Although they aren't brilliant, they certainly have a few benefits over the ERG model which GNE have (including GPS that works)
palatine3833
26 Jul 2014, 8:35 am #70

The reason the tickets seem similar is because Arriva now use the new version of the Wayfarer machines that used to be used by other operators. Although they aren't brilliant, they certainly have a few benefits over the ERG model which GNE have (including GPS that works)

Dan

Site Administrator

26 Jul 2014, 8:39 am #71
(26 Jul 2014, 8:33 am)palatine3833 If you were travelling towards Durham, the X2 only stops at the Cenotaph then Barley Mow as far as I'm aware anyway

http://liners.nexus.org.uk/22952.pdf

It's listed to stop at Birtley on the timetable at the stop. Perhaps one you can chase up...in addition to the POP cards, of course! Tongue
Does seem the depot fails to tell drivers one or two things that are crucial to know - one bad experience for a customer can resort to them making alternative arrangements for travel, especially when there is (heavy) competition in the area... It's not great if drivers are unaware of where a service stops, or the ticketing options available on that service.

(26 Jul 2014, 8:35 am)palatine3833 The reason the tickets seem similar is because Arriva now use the new version of the Wayfarer machines that used to be used by other operators. Although they aren't brilliant, they certainly have a few benefits over the ERG model which GNE have (including GPS that works)

Good job other hardware can be used to ensure that all vehicles can be traced! We've already discussed Arriva's system for real time information being less than ideal - Go North East won't have this problem. Smile

Personally not a fan of the Wayfarer machines Arriva use.
Dan
26 Jul 2014, 8:39 am #71

(26 Jul 2014, 8:33 am)palatine3833 If you were travelling towards Durham, the X2 only stops at the Cenotaph then Barley Mow as far as I'm aware anyway

http://liners.nexus.org.uk/22952.pdf

It's listed to stop at Birtley on the timetable at the stop. Perhaps one you can chase up...in addition to the POP cards, of course! Tongue
Does seem the depot fails to tell drivers one or two things that are crucial to know - one bad experience for a customer can resort to them making alternative arrangements for travel, especially when there is (heavy) competition in the area... It's not great if drivers are unaware of where a service stops, or the ticketing options available on that service.

(26 Jul 2014, 8:35 am)palatine3833 The reason the tickets seem similar is because Arriva now use the new version of the Wayfarer machines that used to be used by other operators. Although they aren't brilliant, they certainly have a few benefits over the ERG model which GNE have (including GPS that works)

Good job other hardware can be used to ensure that all vehicles can be traced! We've already discussed Arriva's system for real time information being less than ideal - Go North East won't have this problem. Smile

Personally not a fan of the Wayfarer machines Arriva use.

Adrian

26 Jul 2014, 9:13 am #72

By timetable, it should only stop at the War Memorial, and then Barley Mow Shops. My gripe is that certain drivers choose to stop opposite the old Somerfield instead. Further along, they stop just before the railway bridge after the Barley Mow pub, instead of the actual shops opposite Carcraft.

Adrian
26 Jul 2014, 9:13 am #72

By timetable, it should only stop at the War Memorial, and then Barley Mow Shops. My gripe is that certain drivers choose to stop opposite the old Somerfield instead. Further along, they stop just before the railway bridge after the Barley Mow pub, instead of the actual shops opposite Carcraft.

Dan

Site Administrator

01 Aug 2014, 11:33 am #73
Incredibly disappointed with my recent complaint regarding the last X3 being 6 minutes (or whatever it was) early.

On my initial response back, she confirmed that the bus got to East Boldon, Blacks Corner at 17:36, so it was on time.

I thanked her for her reply and for chasing it up for me, but pointed out that the bus wasn't due to depart that stop until 17:39, so by her own admission, it was 3 minutes early. I also asked her to check what time the vehicle got back to the depot and compare it against the driver's running board in my response to her - knowing that the driver would have arrived much earlier than s/he should have (given that it's not scheduled to arrive at the terminus until 17:50, I waited from 17:44 for a photo, and it didn't arrive after I got there).

I received another e-mail today with an apology for the mistake, and she told me that her colleague has informed her that the bus didn't depart Blacks Corner until 17:38:48 - so it was 12 seconds early. So I think someone's telling porkies somewhere along the line, because apparently, the X3 which is scheduled to take 10 minutes to the location I was at for a photograph, only took 5 minutes (i.e. impossible). The fact that nothing was said about the time the driver got back into the depot says it all for me!
Dan
01 Aug 2014, 11:33 am #73

Incredibly disappointed with my recent complaint regarding the last X3 being 6 minutes (or whatever it was) early.

On my initial response back, she confirmed that the bus got to East Boldon, Blacks Corner at 17:36, so it was on time.

I thanked her for her reply and for chasing it up for me, but pointed out that the bus wasn't due to depart that stop until 17:39, so by her own admission, it was 3 minutes early. I also asked her to check what time the vehicle got back to the depot and compare it against the driver's running board in my response to her - knowing that the driver would have arrived much earlier than s/he should have (given that it's not scheduled to arrive at the terminus until 17:50, I waited from 17:44 for a photo, and it didn't arrive after I got there).

I received another e-mail today with an apology for the mistake, and she told me that her colleague has informed her that the bus didn't depart Blacks Corner until 17:38:48 - so it was 12 seconds early. So I think someone's telling porkies somewhere along the line, because apparently, the X3 which is scheduled to take 10 minutes to the location I was at for a photograph, only took 5 minutes (i.e. impossible). The fact that nothing was said about the time the driver got back into the depot says it all for me!

MurdnunoC

01 Aug 2014, 12:24 pm #74
(01 Aug 2014, 11:33 am)Dan Incredibly disappointed with my recent complaint regarding the last X3 being 6 minutes (or whatever it was) early.

Forgive my ignorance but...

Would a bus company, under normal circumstances, release this information to any member of the public?

And...

If the bus arrived back the depot, say, one minute early, would anyone notice?

Would anyone notice if a driver got back to the depot a minute late?

The running board accounts for neither.
MurdnunoC
01 Aug 2014, 12:24 pm #74

(01 Aug 2014, 11:33 am)Dan Incredibly disappointed with my recent complaint regarding the last X3 being 6 minutes (or whatever it was) early.

Forgive my ignorance but...

Would a bus company, under normal circumstances, release this information to any member of the public?

And...

Dan

Site Administrator

01 Aug 2014, 12:26 pm #75
(01 Aug 2014, 12:24 pm)AdamY Forgive my ignorance but...

And...

If requested, on the grounds that it could assist determine how early a bus actually was, I'd imagine so?

If, let's say, the bus arrived back into the depot for 17:50 when it was actually due to terminate at Monkwearmouth, it would have clearly been very early... I don't know how much time the driver used to get from Monkwearmouth to Deptford, but if it was around 5 minutes, the driver should have been getting back at 17:55 rather than 17:50 in this example - and this would have been reflected by the fact the driver was operating early whilst in service. This is how it affects customers, and this is when they'd notice.
Dan
01 Aug 2014, 12:26 pm #75

(01 Aug 2014, 12:24 pm)AdamY Forgive my ignorance but...

And...

If requested, on the grounds that it could assist determine how early a bus actually was, I'd imagine so?

If, let's say, the bus arrived back into the depot for 17:50 when it was actually due to terminate at Monkwearmouth, it would have clearly been very early... I don't know how much time the driver used to get from Monkwearmouth to Deptford, but if it was around 5 minutes, the driver should have been getting back at 17:55 rather than 17:50 in this example - and this would have been reflected by the fact the driver was operating early whilst in service. This is how it affects customers, and this is when they'd notice.

Adrian

01 Aug 2014, 1:42 pm #76
A criticism I often have is that it should be 100% clear whether your complaint is either being upheld or not. In your case it's certainly not clear Dan, and I know I've not had that clarity until I challenge it a few times.

Adrian
01 Aug 2014, 1:42 pm #76

A criticism I often have is that it should be 100% clear whether your complaint is either being upheld or not. In your case it's certainly not clear Dan, and I know I've not had that clarity until I challenge it a few times.

01 Aug 2014, 2:05 pm #77
(01 Aug 2014, 1:42 pm)aureolin A criticism I often have is that it should be 100% clear whether your complaint is either being upheld or not. In your case it's certainly not clear Dan, and I know I've not had that clarity until I challenge it a few times.

I agree. It can be incredibly disappointing when, in my case, you finally muster up the courage to complain about something that's been on your shoulders for a while, then they don't even bother to reply......
Edited 30 May 2015, 8:54 pm by R852 PRG.
R852 PRG
01 Aug 2014, 2:05 pm #77

(01 Aug 2014, 1:42 pm)aureolin A criticism I often have is that it should be 100% clear whether your complaint is either being upheld or not. In your case it's certainly not clear Dan, and I know I've not had that clarity until I challenge it a few times.

I agree. It can be incredibly disappointing when, in my case, you finally muster up the courage to complain about something that's been on your shoulders for a while, then they don't even bother to reply......

Drifter60

01 Aug 2014, 2:08 pm #78

The fact that it was it's last day in service, I doubt many passengers, drivers, the depot, GNE customer services and GNE management are particularly bothered about it.
Drifter60
01 Aug 2014, 2:08 pm #78

The fact that it was it's last day in service, I doubt many passengers, drivers, the depot, GNE customer services and GNE management are particularly bothered about it.

Dan

Site Administrator

01 Aug 2014, 2:09 pm #79
When GPS data and CCTV data is apparently against you, and you're made to feel like you're complaining for no good reason, it's not a good feeling at all.

I know the bus was over 5 minutes early at Tesco otherwise I would have had a photograph, and it simply did not turn up if that was not the case.

(01 Aug 2014, 2:08 pm)Drifter60 The fact that it was it's last day in service, I doubt many passengers, drivers, the depot, GNE customer services and GNE management are particularly bothered about it.
Shouldn't make a difference.

The driver should be spoken to regardless, as now s/he isn't driving on the X3, s/he will be driving on another route.
Is it any less acceptable for the last run on the Fab56 to be operating 5 minutes early than it is on the X3?
Dan
01 Aug 2014, 2:09 pm #79

When GPS data and CCTV data is apparently against you, and you're made to feel like you're complaining for no good reason, it's not a good feeling at all.

I know the bus was over 5 minutes early at Tesco otherwise I would have had a photograph, and it simply did not turn up if that was not the case.

(01 Aug 2014, 2:08 pm)Drifter60 The fact that it was it's last day in service, I doubt many passengers, drivers, the depot, GNE customer services and GNE management are particularly bothered about it.
Shouldn't make a difference.

The driver should be spoken to regardless, as now s/he isn't driving on the X3, s/he will be driving on another route.
Is it any less acceptable for the last run on the Fab56 to be operating 5 minutes early than it is on the X3?

MurdnunoC

01 Aug 2014, 2:39 pm #80
(01 Aug 2014, 12:26 pm)Dan If requested, on the grounds that it could assist determine how early a bus actually was, I'd imagine so?

I think I should have made my second point a bit clearer.

Your earlier post implies that someone might be lying about what time the bus arrived back at the depot. If the bus arrived, say, 5-10 minutes early then someone (at the depot) may notice and question the reason why that particular bus and driver has arrived at the depot so soon. However, if a bus arrived back at the depot, say, 1 or 2 minutes early, it may go largely unnoticed, especially if other buses and drivers are due back at the same time. Therefore, if asked, did the bus arrive back at the depot on time, someone might answer 'yes' simply because they thought the bus arrived back as scheduled. Not an ideal answer but certainly not a lie.
MurdnunoC
01 Aug 2014, 2:39 pm #80

(01 Aug 2014, 12:26 pm)Dan If requested, on the grounds that it could assist determine how early a bus actually was, I'd imagine so?

I think I should have made my second point a bit clearer.

Your earlier post implies that someone might be lying about what time the bus arrived back at the depot. If the bus arrived, say, 5-10 minutes early then someone (at the depot) may notice and question the reason why that particular bus and driver has arrived at the depot so soon. However, if a bus arrived back at the depot, say, 1 or 2 minutes early, it may go largely unnoticed, especially if other buses and drivers are due back at the same time. Therefore, if asked, did the bus arrive back at the depot on time, someone might answer 'yes' simply because they thought the bus arrived back as scheduled. Not an ideal answer but certainly not a lie.

Pages (13): Previous 13 4 513 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average