Menu

North East Buses The Canteen Off-topic bus chat Service X93

Service X93

Service X93

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (2): Previous 1 2
Tom

19 May 2014, 9:23 pm #21
(19 May 2014, 9:22 pm)robisdave15 Never thought my thread would take off like this! I didn't want to break into the issue of concessionary passes because it seems like such s hot potato and is clearly what a) blights the earning potential of the service and b) contributes to the loading situation, kinda devil and the deep blue sea ! Just what dya do? I knew there were / are issues on the Whitby - Scarborough and am now thinking what I spoke about in a separate post - running direct coaches from Boro non - stop to S'Boro is maybe something to look at in the future?
While I'm here? They've given them 8 B7's to meet the PVR, what about spare vehicles down there to help out?

If the Newcastle-Scarborough service did start again, maybe concessionary passes won't be valid? Possibly charge a £4.00 return for concessions/children and a £7.50 return for adults?
Tom
19 May 2014, 9:23 pm #21

(19 May 2014, 9:22 pm)robisdave15 Never thought my thread would take off like this! I didn't want to break into the issue of concessionary passes because it seems like such s hot potato and is clearly what a) blights the earning potential of the service and b) contributes to the loading situation, kinda devil and the deep blue sea ! Just what dya do? I knew there were / are issues on the Whitby - Scarborough and am now thinking what I spoke about in a separate post - running direct coaches from Boro non - stop to S'Boro is maybe something to look at in the future?
While I'm here? They've given them 8 B7's to meet the PVR, what about spare vehicles down there to help out?

If the Newcastle-Scarborough service did start again, maybe concessionary passes won't be valid? Possibly charge a £4.00 return for concessions/children and a £7.50 return for adults?

MurdnunoC

19 May 2014, 9:28 pm #22
Getting to Middlesbrough would involve a 35-40 minute bus journey into Newcastle, then a 80 minute journey on one of the Tyne-Tees Express services. So there's approximately 2 hours (not including waiting time) gone already. Getting to Scarborough is another 2 hour bus ride on the X93. Times that by 2 and that's around 8 hours travelling time there and back not including time spent waiting for connections.

Before this thread was started I was well-up for travelling to Scarborough by bus. I don't think I'll bother now!

Regarding services X60/X61 - were concessionary fares accepted on these services? IIRC, Explorers and some other regional passes were exempt so I was wondering whether there was some sort of rule regarding concessionary passes.
MurdnunoC
19 May 2014, 9:28 pm #22

Getting to Middlesbrough would involve a 35-40 minute bus journey into Newcastle, then a 80 minute journey on one of the Tyne-Tees Express services. So there's approximately 2 hours (not including waiting time) gone already. Getting to Scarborough is another 2 hour bus ride on the X93. Times that by 2 and that's around 8 hours travelling time there and back not including time spent waiting for connections.

Before this thread was started I was well-up for travelling to Scarborough by bus. I don't think I'll bother now!

Regarding services X60/X61 - were concessionary fares accepted on these services? IIRC, Explorers and some other regional passes were exempt so I was wondering whether there was some sort of rule regarding concessionary passes.

tyresmoke

19 May 2014, 9:30 pm #23

Whitby already carry a spare vehicle, hence why they used 4718 this morning.
Of course Redcar will be operating two of the X93s on the summer timetable but the deckers should primarily work from Whitby, hopefully if they can keep all 8 on the road then it will stay all double deck but of course there will be days where it's just not possible. Apparently then Scanias will be used first and foremost... Temsas as a real last resort hopefully!

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

tyresmoke
19 May 2014, 9:30 pm #23

Whitby already carry a spare vehicle, hence why they used 4718 this morning.
Of course Redcar will be operating two of the X93s on the summer timetable but the deckers should primarily work from Whitby, hopefully if they can keep all 8 on the road then it will stay all double deck but of course there will be days where it's just not possible. Apparently then Scanias will be used first and foremost... Temsas as a real last resort hopefully!

19 May 2014, 9:34 pm #24
Fingers crossed!!
robisdave15
19 May 2014, 9:34 pm #24

Fingers crossed!!

Jimmi

19 May 2014, 9:40 pm #25
(19 May 2014, 9:28 pm)AdamY Getting to Middlesbrough would involve a 35-40 minute bus journey into Newcastle, then a 80 minute journey on one of the Tyne-Tees Express services. So there's approximately 2 hours (not including waiting time) gone already. Getting to Scarborough is another 2 hour bus ride on the X93. Times that by 2 and that's around 8 hours travelling time there and back not including time spent waiting for connections.

Concession passes were allowed (pre 0930 supplements applied on weekdays during the school summer holidays, eg. 50p in County Durham and Passes couldn't be used at Harrowgate Hill and Thompson Street as passes can't be used before 0930 in Darlington.)
Jimmi
19 May 2014, 9:40 pm #25

(19 May 2014, 9:28 pm)AdamY Getting to Middlesbrough would involve a 35-40 minute bus journey into Newcastle, then a 80 minute journey on one of the Tyne-Tees Express services. So there's approximately 2 hours (not including waiting time) gone already. Getting to Scarborough is another 2 hour bus ride on the X93. Times that by 2 and that's around 8 hours travelling time there and back not including time spent waiting for connections.

Concession passes were allowed (pre 0930 supplements applied on weekdays during the school summer holidays, eg. 50p in County Durham and Passes couldn't be used at Harrowgate Hill and Thompson Street as passes can't be used before 0930 in Darlington.)

20 May 2014, 8:32 am #26
Thanks for all your posts guys, some interesting points. Would be useful if we can here from anyone who has had experience, good or bad, of the service in the past 12 months or so? Kinda guessing from the vibes I'm getting from the pcosts so far then this could be a bit of an ask and given what Jimmi said, a bit disturbing! But this is the objective of my thread so crack on you X93 aficionados!

Thanks
Robin
robisdave15
20 May 2014, 8:32 am #26

Thanks for all your posts guys, some interesting points. Would be useful if we can here from anyone who has had experience, good or bad, of the service in the past 12 months or so? Kinda guessing from the vibes I'm getting from the pcosts so far then this could be a bit of an ask and given what Jimmi said, a bit disturbing! But this is the objective of my thread so crack on you X93 aficionados!

Thanks
Robin

morritt89

21 May 2014, 11:15 am #27
The first time I have used the X93 was at the beginning of this year and have only used the off peak timetable. I normally travel on the 10:25 departure from Middlesbrough (and for the times I have used it this year has always been single deck).

Passenger loadings seem to vary according to weather and from the Middlesbrough end I have observed most passengers seem to have a free pass.

I have travelled once all the way to Scarborough and then back again. When boarding in Scarborough, most passengers seemed to be fare paying and from observation most 'free pass' passengers travel between Whitby and Middlesbrough (as I say these are just things I noticed).

As for the buses I have used on the route, majority have been Scania Omnicity, one Temsa, A Prestiege and one Enviro 400 (the time I travelled from Scarborough to Middlesbrough). The Scania seemed to cope well with the route - only downside is standing passengers. The Temsa (first time I had travelled on one) also seemed to manage really well but I don't like the seating arrangement. The Prestiege, I have a soft spot for them and it managed well (sure it was 4081 but not sure on Arriva fleet numbers). As for the Enviro, in it's favour it had enough seats.

I haven't been one one of the Volvo B7's yet. From what I have read, size of engine seems to be brought up quite a lot. However, I think the gearbox has a lot to do with it as well. I don't like the Arriva E400's but I do like the Stagecoach version. I also like the Volvo B7TL although how it will do on the X93 remains to be seen. A good comparison I think would be comparing one of the ex London Volvo's against one of the Alexander bodied examples with different gearbox.

As for different buses, I like the ex London Dafs but not sure how they would work on that route (seem to go fine on hills from my experience). Or how about Arriva try different double deck types from other Arriva companies and see how they do on the route then they could buy there own or loan them for the peak season or swap for some of their vehicles. I know this idea is not the cheapest but surely it is plausible and allows different vehicle types to be tried on the route. Comparisons could also be done on fuel consumption etc.

Anyway, just my views and experience from riding on the service. I hope to try out the summer timetable soon (well when it starts at least) and hopefully try one of the Volvo's =]
morritt89
21 May 2014, 11:15 am #27

The first time I have used the X93 was at the beginning of this year and have only used the off peak timetable. I normally travel on the 10:25 departure from Middlesbrough (and for the times I have used it this year has always been single deck).

Passenger loadings seem to vary according to weather and from the Middlesbrough end I have observed most passengers seem to have a free pass.

I have travelled once all the way to Scarborough and then back again. When boarding in Scarborough, most passengers seemed to be fare paying and from observation most 'free pass' passengers travel between Whitby and Middlesbrough (as I say these are just things I noticed).

As for the buses I have used on the route, majority have been Scania Omnicity, one Temsa, A Prestiege and one Enviro 400 (the time I travelled from Scarborough to Middlesbrough). The Scania seemed to cope well with the route - only downside is standing passengers. The Temsa (first time I had travelled on one) also seemed to manage really well but I don't like the seating arrangement. The Prestiege, I have a soft spot for them and it managed well (sure it was 4081 but not sure on Arriva fleet numbers). As for the Enviro, in it's favour it had enough seats.

I haven't been one one of the Volvo B7's yet. From what I have read, size of engine seems to be brought up quite a lot. However, I think the gearbox has a lot to do with it as well. I don't like the Arriva E400's but I do like the Stagecoach version. I also like the Volvo B7TL although how it will do on the X93 remains to be seen. A good comparison I think would be comparing one of the ex London Volvo's against one of the Alexander bodied examples with different gearbox.

As for different buses, I like the ex London Dafs but not sure how they would work on that route (seem to go fine on hills from my experience). Or how about Arriva try different double deck types from other Arriva companies and see how they do on the route then they could buy there own or loan them for the peak season or swap for some of their vehicles. I know this idea is not the cheapest but surely it is plausible and allows different vehicle types to be tried on the route. Comparisons could also be done on fuel consumption etc.

Anyway, just my views and experience from riding on the service. I hope to try out the summer timetable soon (well when it starts at least) and hopefully try one of the Volvo's =]

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

21 May 2014, 4:06 pm #28
I used this service from Middlesbrough-Whitby last summer and it was a horrible ride, absolutely rammed all the way and in my opinion, the bus seemed overloaded, the people standing from front to back on lower deck wouldn't have a stood a chance to do anything if the bus had been involved in some kind of accident and quite a few passengers were drinking as well, which leaves me quite nervous, because if there is a problem or an argument starts, there is nowhere to go.

Coming back from Whitby the service was duplicated and both was down to standing room only and again not very pleasant, with the amount of people packed on, it was like a greenhouse, even with windows open...

The problem I have with this, is the same as has been pointed out before and it is connections, I am from Murton, Co.Durham, it I would have to get 2 buses just to reach Middlesbrough(202 or 23 or 24, then X9)...

Last year I got the train to Middlesbrough from Seaham and coming home I barely made my connection as the X93 rolled into Middlesbrough about 20 minutes...

I dont know if it would work, would it not be worth introducing a new service dedicated to running non-stop between M'bro and S'bro with, say 1 stop, at Guisborough and make the X93 M'bro to Whitby only...

I will be heading back to Whitby in the Summer sometime and will get the train unless there is an imrovement on the X93
MrFozz
21 May 2014, 4:06 pm #28

I used this service from Middlesbrough-Whitby last summer and it was a horrible ride, absolutely rammed all the way and in my opinion, the bus seemed overloaded, the people standing from front to back on lower deck wouldn't have a stood a chance to do anything if the bus had been involved in some kind of accident and quite a few passengers were drinking as well, which leaves me quite nervous, because if there is a problem or an argument starts, there is nowhere to go.

Coming back from Whitby the service was duplicated and both was down to standing room only and again not very pleasant, with the amount of people packed on, it was like a greenhouse, even with windows open...

The problem I have with this, is the same as has been pointed out before and it is connections, I am from Murton, Co.Durham, it I would have to get 2 buses just to reach Middlesbrough(202 or 23 or 24, then X9)...

Last year I got the train to Middlesbrough from Seaham and coming home I barely made my connection as the X93 rolled into Middlesbrough about 20 minutes...

I dont know if it would work, would it not be worth introducing a new service dedicated to running non-stop between M'bro and S'bro with, say 1 stop, at Guisborough and make the X93 M'bro to Whitby only...

I will be heading back to Whitby in the Summer sometime and will get the train unless there is an imrovement on the X93

Sparkle

28 May 2014, 11:14 pm #29
At least on a Sunday there's a direct train from Seaham to Whitby in the summer. Be a good day out!
Sparkle
28 May 2014, 11:14 pm #29

At least on a Sunday there's a direct train from Seaham to Whitby in the summer. Be a good day out!

MrFozz

Marxista Fozzski

06 Jun 2014, 7:47 pm #30
(28 May 2014, 11:14 pm)Sparkle At least on a Sunday there's a direct train from Seaham to Whitby in the summer. Be a good day out!

Except it will be a Saturday when I go ;-)
MrFozz
06 Jun 2014, 7:47 pm #30

(28 May 2014, 11:14 pm)Sparkle At least on a Sunday there's a direct train from Seaham to Whitby in the summer. Be a good day out!

Except it will be a Saturday when I go ;-)

07 Jun 2014, 3:04 pm #31
I would like to share with you a generally positive experience on my X93 trip yesterday. I live in East Cleveland so i travelled on the X4/4 to Whitby. As 95% normal it was a pulsar- reasonably full with very few fare-paying passengers. I then got on 7485 which would have been the 9-50am Redcar-driver extra summer bus from Middlesbrough. Very quiet and on-time. After all the bad comments about a 12-year old bus, i was quite impressed with the seating and the smart insides. The journey was reasonably fast but it did struggle on the climb out of Fylingthorpe (i suppose any bus would). We arrived in Scarborough on time just after 12-00pm. My return journey was on Temsa 4713 on the full journey to Middlesbrough which was a surprise because i didn't think it was tacho-fitted. Do the tacho rules apply if the drivers swap over in Whitby? The bus was full but no standing. 4713 is quite nippy but so badly laid out and horrible seats. I got off in Whitby as did a lot of other passengers but then filled up again. A supervisor/inspector was writing things down and i heard him shout '47' . The bus left Whitby only 5 minutes late. All the other buses we passed on the journey were double-deckers. I then returned back home on another pulsar which because of an accident on Lythe bank had to detour over the moors and then back on route at Ellerby. Extremely nippy and got back home on time. So all-in-all quite positive and i'm hoping to do the journey again soon- but not during the school holidays!
Michael Euston
07 Jun 2014, 3:04 pm #31

I would like to share with you a generally positive experience on my X93 trip yesterday. I live in East Cleveland so i travelled on the X4/4 to Whitby. As 95% normal it was a pulsar- reasonably full with very few fare-paying passengers. I then got on 7485 which would have been the 9-50am Redcar-driver extra summer bus from Middlesbrough. Very quiet and on-time. After all the bad comments about a 12-year old bus, i was quite impressed with the seating and the smart insides. The journey was reasonably fast but it did struggle on the climb out of Fylingthorpe (i suppose any bus would). We arrived in Scarborough on time just after 12-00pm. My return journey was on Temsa 4713 on the full journey to Middlesbrough which was a surprise because i didn't think it was tacho-fitted. Do the tacho rules apply if the drivers swap over in Whitby? The bus was full but no standing. 4713 is quite nippy but so badly laid out and horrible seats. I got off in Whitby as did a lot of other passengers but then filled up again. A supervisor/inspector was writing things down and i heard him shout '47' . The bus left Whitby only 5 minutes late. All the other buses we passed on the journey were double-deckers. I then returned back home on another pulsar which because of an accident on Lythe bank had to detour over the moors and then back on route at Ellerby. Extremely nippy and got back home on time. So all-in-all quite positive and i'm hoping to do the journey again soon- but not during the school holidays!

Sparkle

08 Jun 2014, 6:52 pm #32
(06 Jun 2014, 7:47 pm)marxistafozzski Except it will be a Saturday when I go ;-)

Always one fussy one Tongue
Sparkle
08 Jun 2014, 6:52 pm #32

(06 Jun 2014, 7:47 pm)marxistafozzski Except it will be a Saturday when I go ;-)

Always one fussy one Tongue

16 Feb 2020, 11:18 am #33
Is this service changing in the summertime this year? I read that there will be an X94 - what’s happening?? Thanks
micketh
16 Feb 2020, 11:18 am #33

Is this service changing in the summertime this year? I read that there will be an X94 - what’s happening?? Thanks

BoroLad

19 Feb 2020, 10:46 pm #34
(16 Feb 2020, 11:18 am)micketh Is this service changing in the summertime this year? I read that there will be an X94 - what’s happening?? Thanks
I believe it's just a variant on the last section of the route, with X94s running via the A165 and Peasholm Park rather than the A171. I'm not aware of any changes between Middlesbrough and the edge of Scarborough.

Bear in mind I read that on the Arriva service changes thread, so don't take it as gospel.
BoroLad
19 Feb 2020, 10:46 pm #34

(16 Feb 2020, 11:18 am)micketh Is this service changing in the summertime this year? I read that there will be an X94 - what’s happening?? Thanks
I believe it's just a variant on the last section of the route, with X94s running via the A165 and Peasholm Park rather than the A171. I'm not aware of any changes between Middlesbrough and the edge of Scarborough.

Bear in mind I read that on the Arriva service changes thread, so don't take it as gospel.

15 Apr 2020, 4:32 pm #35
How many buses an hour run between Middlesbrough and Scarborough during the summer?
michaelb
15 Apr 2020, 4:32 pm #35

How many buses an hour run between Middlesbrough and Scarborough during the summer?

tcts24

16 Apr 2020, 11:42 am #36
(15 Apr 2020, 4:32 pm)michaelb How many buses an hour run between Middlesbrough and Scarborough during the summer?
Summer timetable is usually hourly Middlesbrough - Whitby section and half hourly between Whitby and Scarborough.
tcts24
16 Apr 2020, 11:42 am #36

(15 Apr 2020, 4:32 pm)michaelb How many buses an hour run between Middlesbrough and Scarborough during the summer?
Summer timetable is usually hourly Middlesbrough - Whitby section and half hourly between Whitby and Scarborough.

tyresmoke

25 Apr 2020, 2:19 pm #37
(16 Apr 2020, 11:42 am)tcts24 Summer timetable is usually hourly Middlesbrough - Whitby section and half hourly between Whitby and Scarborough.

Generally hourly Middlesbrough to Whitby with extras thrown in on the peak flows (am Mbro-Scar, pm Scar-Mbro) to make it half hourly, and run every 30 beyond Whitby to Scarbs as above. In peak summer holidays they usually boost the timetable again by making it every 20 min between Whitby & Scarborough all day.

tyresmoke
25 Apr 2020, 2:19 pm #37

(16 Apr 2020, 11:42 am)tcts24 Summer timetable is usually hourly Middlesbrough - Whitby section and half hourly between Whitby and Scarborough.

Generally hourly Middlesbrough to Whitby with extras thrown in on the peak flows (am Mbro-Scar, pm Scar-Mbro) to make it half hourly, and run every 30 beyond Whitby to Scarbs as above. In peak summer holidays they usually boost the timetable again by making it every 20 min between Whitby & Scarborough all day.

Pages (2): Previous 1 2

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average