North East Buses

Full Version: Common Courtesy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What happened to the following:
- Sticking hand out clearly in good time
- Ringing the bell in good time and making way to front holding on to handrails as bus is stopping or if vunlerable, remaining seated?
(09 Jun 2014, 6:36 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote [ -> ]What happened to the following:
- Ringing the bell in good time and making way to front holding on to handrails as bus is stopping or if vunlerable, remaining seated?

I for one must say I only really follow the 'hand at the stop' thing - yet on one occasion the driver just wasn't paying attention and drove straight past.......

Normally as soon as I see the indicator flashing and the bus slowing that I put my hand back and retrieve my Key Card.

I'm terrible for the 'please ring the bell once and remain seated until the bus has stopped' thing. If I ring the bell a little early after just pulling out from the stop before - I tend to ring it again just to make sure the driver heard. It's happened many a time with me when I have rung the bell and the driver has just carried on driving past my stop - even though they have that red light in their cab that tells them, don't they?

Recently I've had a bit of bother with one of Chester's drivers with the stop thing. Once on 4906 on the 71 - I pressed the bell twice and he said 'you only have to press it once, I heard you the first time'. Then on 3868 on the 71 on Saturday, he was shaking his head with 'disbelief' as I put my hand out at my local stop, the Durham Cricket Club (CLS Cricket Club) and slyly muttered 'you just fr***ing walk up the street - your pretty much already on it' as I took my seat.
(09 Jun 2014, 6:36 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote [ -> ]What happened to the following:

I'm not vulnerable, but I remain seated until the bus has stopped. Why? Because I prefer not to have my arm yanked out it's socket when the brakes are hit.

As for sticking out your hand in good time. You have to remember that not all people can see the bus in good time, and at the same time, sometimes bus drivers don't see you in good time. I thought drivers were instructed to to stop if they felt someone was intending to travel for this very reason?
(09 Jun 2014, 6:48 pm)Marcus wrote [ -> ]It's happened many a time with me when I have rung the bell and the driver has just carried on driving past my stop - even though they have that red light in their cab that tells them, don't they?

I've seen it before too. The driver apologised to the passenger and said that as he was used to hearing the bell lots of times in the day, it occasionally becomes normal background noise that sometimes doesn't register in the brain until he hears the words "I wanted that stop!".

I thought that was an honest and easy to understand explanation. I'm sure most drivers have done it.
(09 Jun 2014, 8:03 pm)VolvoMarkII wrote [ -> ]I've seen it before too. The driver apologised to the passenger and said that as he was used to hearing the bell lots of times in the day, it occasionally becomes normal background noise that sometimes doesn't register in the brain until he hears the words "I wanted that stop!".

I thought that was an honest and easy to understand explanation. I'm sure most drivers have done it.

Once I had 5291 on the 78 and there was a lot of chatter going on - and I could barely hear the bell itself never mind the voiceover. He was very honest and apologised when he over-ran my stop. Very funny driver as well - had him numerous times and he's dead canny.
What happened to the driver stopping when he sees someone sticking their hands out?

Perhaps if he hadn't been going so fast, he would have been in a position to stop... Just stared at me as he flew past - silly driver of the 61 today! Glad the 42 was right behind it.
(10 Jun 2014, 3:13 pm)Marcus wrote [ -> ]Once I had 5291 on the 78 and there was a lot of chatter going on - and I could barely hear the bell itself never mind the voiceover. He was very honest and apologised when he over-ran my stop. Very funny driver as well - had him numerous times and he's dead canny.

The voiceover?
(10 Jun 2014, 3:24 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]The voiceover?

I'm sure a few Diamond Citaro's have a female voice (probably a robot's Tongue) that says something like (haven't heard them in a while - so not sure if they still have them installed) 'please remain seated until the bus has stopped'. A bit like a shortened version of the Steve and Karen etc ones.
(10 Jun 2014, 3:28 pm)Marcus wrote [ -> ]I'm sure a few Diamond Citaro's have a female voice (probably a robot's Tongue) that says something like (haven't heard them in a while - so not sure if they still have them installed) 'please remain seated until the bus has stopped'. A bit like a shortened version of the Steve and Karen etc ones.

Never heard that like Tongue - Only the Vykings have that.
(10 Jun 2014, 3:32 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]Never heard that like Tongue - Only the Vykings have that.

I'm sure the Diamonds have (or had) them installed.
(10 Jun 2014, 4:31 pm)Marcus wrote [ -> ]I'm sure the Diamonds have (or had) them installed.

Yes, I think I've heard something similar in the past too - although perhaps just one or two vehicles, much like how 5327 has/had a small destination screen which updated with 'BUS STOPPING' when the bell was pressed.
I'm up and ready to hop off like most passengers.

If I sit down and wait for it stop I'm delaying the service imo and I'm perfectly capable of walking in a straight line with plenty of bars and hanging rails and hanging hand things to guide me

Added to the fact the 21 never builds up enough speed to cause any harm of course!
(10 Jun 2014, 4:31 pm)Marcus wrote [ -> ]I'm sure the Diamonds have (or had) them installed.

Yeah, I'm fairly sure some of them had it when they were 'CityLink'... must get a bit annoying after a while!
(10 Jun 2014, 7:47 pm)BJ10VUS wrote [ -> ]Yeah, I'm fairly sure some of them had it when they were 'CityLink'... must get a bit annoying after a while!

If memory serves - I used to nearly always (for some odd reason whenever I hopped on a Diamond) get 5289 as the vehicle. I always remember that one had those announcements.
Thanks to the woman who got on the 5A this afternoon who when she boarded the bus continued her phone conversation for about 20 seconds before addressing the driver and of course she didn't have her change ready so we had to just sit there, I wanted to be off at the next stop I could have got off the bus and walked faster. Its little wonder buses are late when people like this get on.

Also there was a pissed passenger who was asleep on the X66.