North East Buses

Full Version: The bus enthusiast scene in Scotland
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I may be going away from home for up to 2 years sometime soon(not prison btw, as somebody recently thought I was about to goto Jail)...Basically wanting going into a residential rehab programme to help me with a few problems I have had for 10 years.

Anyway, does anybody know what the bus enthusiast scene is like, if there even is one, the place I may be going to is a place called Kilmacolm, quite close to Greenock and Glasgow nearby and also Clydebank and Paisley is not too far, I would like to keep my passion for buses when I can...

Any feedback will be appreciated
(20 Jul 2014, 3:31 pm)marxistafozzski wrote [ -> ]I may be going away from home for up to 2 years sometime soon(not prison btw, as somebody recently thought I was about to goto Jail)...Basically wanting going into a residential rehab programme to help me with a few problems I have had for 10 years.

Anyway, does anybody know what the bus enthusiast scene is like, if there even is one, the place I may be going to is a place called Kilmacolm, quite close to Greenock and Glasgow nearby and also Clydebank and Paisley is not too far, I would like to keep my passion for buses when I can...

No idea about Kilmacolm, but lots of stuff around Greenock etc.
Lots of independents and the McGills zonal system to get your head around Big Grin

Obviously it isn't that far or complicated to get to many of the shows up there, with the train system being excellent.

Spent quite a bit of time around the western side of Greater Glasgow (and across the water in Argyll).

Hope you manage to get sorted up there.
Take some time over the water exploring Cowal/Argyll if you can. Some of the space and scenery around there is amazing.
(20 Jul 2014, 3:31 pm)marxistafozzski wrote [ -> ]I may be going away from home for up to 2 years sometime soon(not prison btw, as somebody recently thought I was about to goto Jail)...Basically wanting going into a residential rehab programme to help me with a few problems I have had for 10 years.

All the best if it comes through Smile

I hear Scotland has a lot of independant operators in villages etc
(20 Jul 2014, 3:54 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote [ -> ]No idea about Kilmacolm, but lots of stuff around Greenock etc.
Lots of independents and the McGills zonal system to get your head around Big Grin

Obviously it isn't that far or complicated to get to many of the shows up there, with the train system being excellent.

Spent quite a bit of time around the western side of Greater Glasgow (and across the water in Argyll).

Hope you manage to get sorted up there.
Take some time over the water exploring Cowal/Argyll if you can. Some of the space and scenery around there is amazing.

Surely can't be any worse than the GNE zones [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND TIGHTLY-CLOSED EYES]

Thanks Andreos, the plan is to get away from my problems to seek help in properly dealing with stuff and I want to reconnect and fall In love with my favourite pastimes again, one reason I want to go is because of the area Kilmacolm is in, a rural setting that looks very peaceful and get help in relative peace and quiet...

If I can sort my issues and also take in some football and bus enthusiasm, it will be the right move for me to make
(20 Jul 2014, 4:00 pm)marxistafozzski wrote [ -> ]Surely can't be any worse than the GNE zones [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND TIGHTLY-CLOSED EYES]

Thanks Andreos, the plan is to get away from my problems to seek help in properly dealing with stuff and I want to reconnect and fall In love with my favourite pastimes again, one reason I want to go is because of the area Kilmacolm is in, a rural setting that looks very peaceful and get help in relative peace and quiet...

If I can sort my issues and also take in some football and bus enthusiasm, it will be the right move for me to make

Well you have Morton in Greenock and St Mirren on Paisley, so football is covered. Obviously stacks in Glasgow and also Ayr and Kilmarnock in reach.
Greenock has a thriving semi professional scene, with pitches alongside the Clyde.

Have a look in the Scottish scene (I put a link up last year of the zones) or check out the McGills site.

edit: here is reference to the link I mentioned. http://northeastbuses.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=266&page=4
McGills, Stagecoach and First in Glasgow. There's plenty of stuff kicking about there if you wanted to start getting photos again or something.
(20 Jul 2014, 4:19 pm)aureolin wrote [ -> ]McGills, Stagecoach and First in Glasgow. There's plenty of stuff kicking about there if you wanted to start getting photos again or something.

That's my plan hopefully Aurelion, need to be offered a residential placement first, and if I am, I will start having a serious look at and a think about the Scottish Bus Scene around where I will be...

As for football, your right there is plenty around, off the top of my head I can name

Greenock Morton
St Mirren
Hamilton
Clyde
Partick Thistle
Queens Park
Clydebank (Junior League)
Rangers
Celtic

Won't really bother with the last 2, but would be interested in someone like Queens Park(the only Amateur team in the SPFL) who play at Hampden Park(or at least they do when the Commonwealth Games ain't on 😀Wink
Glasgow has a pretty good wrestling scene too.

ICW, BCW, SWA and PBW regularly promote shows in the Lanarkshire/Strathclyde area featuring some of the UK's top talent.

So there's something else to keep you occupied!
(20 Jul 2014, 5:14 pm)marxistafozzski wrote [ -> ]That's my plan hopefully Aurelion, need to be offered a residential placement first, and if I am, I will start having a serious look at and a think about the Scottish Bus Scene around where I will be...

As for football, your right there is plenty around, off the top of my head I can name

Greenock Morton
St Mirren
Hamilton
Clyde
Partick Thistle
Queens Park
Clydebank (Junior League)
Rangers
Celtic

Won't really bother with the last 2, but would be interested in someone like Queens Park(the only Amateur team in the SPFL) who play at Hampden Park(or at least they do when the Commonwealth Games ain't on ?)

Clyde are up in Cumbernauld. On the way to Stirling :p

Morton will be handy enough for you.
Was last there for the first game of the season just gone.
So was up in Scotland yesterday, saw quite a few First buses on the M74 heading South from Glasgow showing CG14 on there destination display, thought CG14 buses would have gone before now...I managed to see some of the services through Bridge of Weir, McGills of Greenock runs close to where I could be staying...I have no real idea what they own, I saw 2 Omnis and a Citaro (I think) and nearly cried when I saw the powerhouse of buses, an MPD.

Looks like McGills look to be the primary operator through Kilmacolm and Bridge of Weir...Hoping I am offered a place up there, I need it now Big Grin