North East Buses

Full Version: Careers in Transport
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Bit of a general question thread, but still sort of bus related. If you had to enter the bus industry - what would you do? Driver, Engineer, Management? Who would you want to drive for? Or your own company? The list goes on......

It's just I've heard a few people say previously that they would want to work on the buses some day, just interested in other people's thoughts.

Here's mine;

I would do University, keep my parents happy, get some degree in Business Management or whatever, and while I'm doing that do occasional service work with GNE.

After that, see how full time driving is, if I don't enjoy it, try and become a Depot Manager or something, maybe work for various companies (GNE, Arriva, East Yorkshire Motor Services, Lothian would be a few).

After I've got enough experience, I'd love to start my own company. Get a couple of scholars contracts, and do long distance coach work with about 10 coaches. Get a good income, and do that for a long time, hopefully pass it onto kids etc.

What about anyone else?
Go to college and do Business and Travel and Tourism, do a bit of work at Chester or Deptford, then onto Stagecoach in Cumbria.
(22 Jul 2014, 9:37 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]Go to college and do Business and Travel and Tourism, do a bit of work at Chester or Deptford, then onto Stagecoach in Cumbria.

Short and snappy, eh Tom Tongue

At least you've got a plan - I can't decide exactly what to do. I'd definatley want to work in transport - no doubt about it. With GNE, it would have to be Chester - nowhere else.
(22 Jul 2014, 9:39 pm)Marcus wrote [ -> ]Short and snappy, eh Tom Tongue

At least you've got a plan - I can't decide exactly what to do. I'd definatley want to work in transport - no doubt about it. With GNE, it would have to be Chester - nowhere else.

I love the variety at Chester - country to city! But will services like the WAGGONWAY and Lime still be around?
(22 Jul 2014, 9:41 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]I love the variety at Chester - country to city!

That's why I always bang on about it - great community, great place, it's my home!

''Always lived here - Always will''
- Marcus Green
(22 Jul 2014, 9:42 pm)Marcus wrote [ -> ]That's why I always bang on about it - great community, great place, it's my home!

''Always lived here - Always will''
- Marcus Green

A dump in my opinion Tongue
(22 Jul 2014, 9:41 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]I love the variety at Chester - country to city! But will services like the WAGGONWAY and Lime still be around?

I'm sure, they make a lot of profit. The place would be strange without them. Fair enough the 21 makes the most in the entire firm, but the local services in Chester keep the depot alive.
(22 Jul 2014, 9:43 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]A dump in my opinion Tongue

Removed from Buddy List Tongue
(22 Jul 2014, 9:44 pm)Marcus wrote [ -> ]Removed from Buddy List Tongue

I think Wallsend is a right dump too!
(22 Jul 2014, 9:44 pm)Marcus wrote [ -> ]I'm sure, they make a lot of profit. The place would be strange without them. Fair enough the 21 makes the most in the entire firm, but the local services in Chester keep the depot alive.

They'll probably still be around to be fair - it's an important service, for tourists and locals alike.
(22 Jul 2014, 9:45 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]I think Wallsend is a right dump too!

The pidgeons in Stanley really tie the place together, like Tongue

Precision bombing raids everytime the clock strikes the hour.....
Myself and other FPF members have often thought about infiltrating the company.

Plans are already made for the sabotage techniques, including replacing the ticket roll with Kellogg's Fruit Winders or playing with the destination screens, so that rude messages are displayed.

The washing facilities will not escape our attention - with gallons of Fairy Liquid already in place ready to pour into the system.

Airhorns will be placed under the chairs of certain members of staff, so when they sit down at their desk they get a slight fright.
Staplers will be hidden inside moulds of jelly and melted mars bars strategically positioned in the entrances of buses.
How do you see Chester depot in ten years?
(22 Jul 2014, 9:51 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]How do you see Chester depot in ten years?

I see a younger generation of drivers. The B5s on the 21 now will be the reserve vehicles. With rumours of it being knocked down (something I really object to, I'd rather get killed by one of the wrecking balls with the building collapsing around me than watch it get knocked down brick by brick), I don't really know. Hopefully I'll be working there.
(22 Jul 2014, 9:51 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote [ -> ]Myself and other FPF members have often thought about infiltrating the company.

Plans are already made for the sabotage techniques, including replacing the ticket roll with Kellogg's Fruit Winders or playing with the destination screens, so that rude messages are displayed.

The washing facilities will not escape our attention - with gallons of Fairy Liquid already in place ready to pour into the system.

Airhorns will be placed under the chairs of certain members of staff, so when they sit down at their desk they get a slight fright.
Staplers will be hidden inside moulds of jelly and melted mars bars strategically positioned in the entrances of buses.

You guys just never give up, do you?

How do you think FPF High Command would react to a Chesterman joining?
Just thinking, Chester is also a good depot because of all the special cricket and air show shuttles they do. Do you know if drivers volentueer to do this?
(22 Jul 2014, 10:21 pm)Tom wrote [ -> ]Just thinking, Chester is also a good depot because of all the special cricket and air show shuttles they do. Do you know if drivers volentueer to do this?

Yeah, they do. They just put their name down on a sheet or something. See a lot of office staff doing them. Back during The Ashes, didn't see a single non-Chester driver doing any of the shuttles.
Well reflecting I think I consider myself pretty lucky to be in the position I am now, having done some of things I have, at the age of 24. After all, this time 4 years ago I was a fledgling 20 year old who had dropped out of university without a clue what to do next... I spent time applying for any and every job without ever getting much success until Stagecoach gave me an interview and took me on as a trainee driver!

During the 2 years I spent with them I managed to drive a great variety of vehicles and made lots of good friends, most of whom I still see on a daily basis wherever they now work. Stockton had a reputation for hiring and firing but I would say that I still enjoyed my time there, despite the pressures from higher up always being prevalent in the depot. The highlight of my career so far was getting the chance to work on secondment to Stagecoach UK Bus Events for 4 weeks during the Paralympics at London 2012, along with 8 other colleagues from Stockton. We were responsible for driving the 5-a-side football teams around to all of their training events and matches and whilst it meant long days, it wasn't the hardest work I've ever done!!

Then at the start of last year a position came up at Arriva at Stockton depot which I jumped at the chance to join them, one of my best friends in the enthusiast community got me in and of course I already knew the manager so that helped too! It is a notoriously difficult depot to get into, as the staff turnover here is the complete opposite to what I had been used to at Stagecoach. The variety of routes is vast too, and I've driven even more variety in vehicles too from some beautiful ones to some downright sheds. Also the opportunity to work at other depots pops up from time to time, some of you may remember I spent 4 weeks working from Jesmond last summer on Metro replacements when drivers from every depot were drafted in.

So where do I see myself going next? Well I think I am happy to stay as a driver for now, having just started on the small team of drivers on the Sapphire rota at Stockton, it will be nice to see the project grow and ultimately become successful. In the future I would definitely be looking to move upwards, hopefully opportunities will open up at the right times? You never can tell...

As for people looking to get into the industry, well I can't say I've not enjoyed myself and as long as you have an interest in the job you should do fine. Being an enthusiast does get you a fair bit of ribbing from colleagues but most of mine come to me (or a few others) if they ever want to know something (for example today I had 223 on the buggy and they wanted to know where it had come from and why it was here!!)
(22 Jul 2014, 9:55 pm)Marcus wrote [ -> ]You guys just never give up, do you?

How do you think FPF High Command would react to a Chesterman joining?

Onwards we march!
As long as you are dedicated to the FPF cause and can come up with ingenious ways to cause maximum disruption - then there is no problem a Chesterman joining up.
(22 Jul 2014, 10:54 pm)tyresmoke wrote [ -> ]Well reflecting I think I consider myself pretty lucky to be in the position I am now, having done some of things I have, at the age of 24. After all, this time 4 years ago I was a fledgling 20 year old who had dropped out of university without a clue what to do next... I spent time applying for any and every job without ever getting much success until Stagecoach gave me an interview and took me on as a trainee driver!

During the 2 years I spent with them I managed to drive a great variety of vehicles and made lots of good friends, most of whom I still see on a daily basis wherever they now work. Stockton had a reputation for hiring and firing but I would say that I still enjoyed my time there, despite the pressures from higher up always being prevalent in the depot. The highlight of my career so far was getting the chance to work on secondment to Stagecoach UK Bus Events for 4 weeks during the Paralympics at London 2012, along with 8 other colleagues from Stockton. We were responsible for driving the 5-a-side football teams around to all of their training events and matches and whilst it meant long days, it wasn't the hardest work I've ever done!!

Then at the start of last year a position came up at Arriva at Stockton depot which I jumped at the chance to join them, one of my best friends in the enthusiast community got me in and of course I already knew the manager so that helped too! It is a notoriously difficult depot to get into, as the staff turnover here is the complete opposite to what I had been used to at Stagecoach. The variety of routes is vast too, and I've driven even more variety in vehicles too from some beautiful ones to some downright sheds. Also the opportunity to work at other depots pops up from time to time, some of you may remember I spent 4 weeks working from Jesmond last summer on Metro replacements when drivers from every depot were drafted in.

So where do I see myself going next? Well I think I am happy to stay as a driver for now, having just started on the small team of drivers on the Sapphire rota at Stockton, it will be nice to see the project grow and ultimately become successful. In the future I would definitely be looking to move upwards, hopefully opportunities will open up at the right times? You never can tell...

As for people looking to get into the industry, well I can't say I've not enjoyed myself and as long as you have an interest in the job you should do fine. Being an enthusiast does get you a fair bit of ribbing from colleagues but most of mine come to me (or a few others) if they ever want to know something (for example today I had 223 on the buggy and they wanted to know where it had come from and why it was here!!)

Great to hear your career is going well for you, Scott Smile

If you had to move to GNE, which depot would you want to go to?
Pages: 1 2